Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:46 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Wretchedspirit wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:
Ah well. Next year it's ours :D

Yeah... right :lol:

Watch out for Spurs though, not for the title but we'll be right up there. With Harry in charge, I am sure of it.

You laugh at him for saying that but then come out with a REALLY ludicrous comment.

Nah, i'm thinking 5th place. Like in 05/06 and 06/07.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:25 am 

I still don't understand what's funny. We pushed for the title until May. That's better than we've done in our Premiership history and with talk of us bringing in a few players to add a sense of depth to our squad, I think we can win it. This season proved all we really need is depth and a bit of luck (we've hit the woodwork more times than any other club this season and still scored the most goals).

Tottenham aren't special, in any way, shape, or form. :)

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:56 pm 

I just think that you have the wrong manager.

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

I refuse to rise to this bait!

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:01 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
I just think that you have the wrong manager.

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

I refuse to rise to this bait!

I dont think u need to care much about the Spurs, they are rarely much good . And Perplexed_Sjel is right, there is absolutely nothin special about them.

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:18 pm 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
I dont think u need to care much about the Spurs, they are rarely much good . And Perplexed_Sjel is right, there is absolutely nothin special about them.

:ugh: I don't think you understand how English football (and all football) works, you don't just abandon your team because they have had a bad run.

When Tottenham play well it's clear that they have great potential, it's really a joy to watch.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:25 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
ScourgeOfDeath wrote:

:ugh: I don't think you understand how English football (and all football) works, you don't just abandon your team because they have had a bad run.

When Tottenham play well it's clear that they have great potential, it's really a joy to watch.

So you finally took the bait. :grin: Well being an ardent ManU fan for 5 yrs I ve never had to think of abandoning my team. It also helps that they usually have a good run. The championship in this time too.
I think the Spurs are gonna improve the next year. They seriously cant do worse.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:50 pm 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
Wretchedspirit wrote:
ScourgeOfDeath wrote:

So you finally took the bait. :grin: Well being an ardent ManU fan for 5 yrs I ve never had to think of abandoning my team. It also helps that they usually have a good run. The championship in this time too.
I think the Spurs are gonna improve the next year. They seriously cant do worse.

I'd rather Spurs win the title than Man U anyway.

WretchedSpirit right though, you don't abandon your team because of a bad run (I abandoned Arsenal because I hate them :P) and I have to admire WS's spirit for sticking by Spurs.

P_S is right though, we'll push for the title next year if only we can get a little more squad depth. I'll be watching the off-season trading closely.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:38 pm 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
P_S is right though, we'll push for the title next year if only we can get a little more squad depth. I'll be watching the off-season trading closely.

Trading? This isn't the AFL, son. We'll have to pay big money! :P

I've heard talk of us buying David Silva, a Spanish player playing for Valencia currently (Rafa's old team). He's a very good player, I'd love to have him. Talk of us also pinching Tevez from United (who is a good friend of one of our players, Mascherano). I wouldn't say no to him either. We need a new striker! I've also heard rumours that we're looking to sell Alonso to fund some of these deals and finally bring Gareth Barry in ... I really, truly hope not. I'd be gutted to see Alonso go, he's a world class midfielder -- Barry isn't. Benitez would be crazy to let Alonso go, we need him and Mascherano to hold our midfield together. With Mascherano doing all kinds of work and Alonso making his typically brilliant passes, we'll need both of them! Hopefully, with a new forward and a winger, maybe an extra defender for cover, we look set to go for it.

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:34 am 

Can any of you Liverpool fans tell me why Benitez keeps playing Lucas? The guy has two left feet.

Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:51 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
Can any of you Liverpool fans tell me why Benitez keeps playing Lucas? The guy has two left feet.

The answer is in the question.

immortalshadow666 wrote:
I abandoned Arsenal because I hate them

Wait, what?

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:28 pm 

Shutdown wrote:
Wretchedspirit wrote:

The answer is in the question.

You, sir, are wise. :nods:

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:27 pm 

I believe Lucas is actually the captain of the Brazilian under 21 side. I don't think he's THAT bad, but certainly not great. He's had a few good games this year, like against Chelsea and Newcastle.

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:33 pm 

He'd be a good Championship player, but in the top flight- he's just damn average. Maybe Liverpool need to loan him out to let him grow in a lower league or another country entirely, before throwing him into the deep end again.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:58 pm 

oh my god the NBA conference finals are fucking sick right now. watched CAVS MAGIC last night which was an absolute thriller from start to finish. havent had a chance to watch any CAVS games this season, but wholy fuck that team rules. kinda rooting for magic in that series on account of following many of their games throughout the regular season. definitely going for DEN in the western conference too coz fuck the lakers (although admitedly theyre good).

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:07 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
He'd be a good Championship player, but in the top flight- he's just damn average. Maybe Liverpool need to loan him out to let him grow in a lower league or another country entirely, before throwing him into the deep end again.

Not too sure about that.

I think we'll have a busy summer ahead of us. Like to see some of the dead wood go and some new faces brought in. The website has a section on Benitez saying Alonso is going nowhere, so that's made me happy. Would love to see Silva at Anfield and David Villa. Hey, we can dream! Then again, he is good friends with Torres ...

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:37 pm 

Did anyone see Lebron James's last second shot? Holy fuck.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:52 am 

Orlando is giving CLE all they can handle. The Cavs supporting players need to step up if they're going to advance. LeBron could very well be the next MJ.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:17 am 

Adriankat wrote:

yes. what a thrilling game man. i like Cavs but havent been able to watch em this season. kinda going for magic in this one. magic definitely giving it to the cavs, but both sides playing incredibly well in that game. did you see how ferocious CLE was playing particularly the first quarter? holy fuck! ive never seen that intensity at both ends of the court - they were just on fire. crowd was going nuts.

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:40 am 

Adriankat wrote:

Yeah, when Hedo Turkoglu hit his shot, I thought it was over for the Cavaliers. But then Lebron James scores. I was very shocked. One thing I will say, though, is that the Cavs need better defense when they go to Orlando.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:20 am 

Did anyone watch the Titans-Sea Eagles game?

Let me tell you, that is THREE controversial referee calls in two weeks in the final minutes of the game:

1. Dragons v Bulldogs: Bulldogs denied a game-winning try in the final minute because of an obstruction, which was clearly wrong.

2. Eels v Rabbitohs: Rabbitohs denied a chance to kick the winning field goal in the dying seconds of the match, because the referee called time back on with just 9 seconds to go, and Wing couldn't feed the scrum in time. He called time on because one of the Rabbitohs "broke" the scrum, which indicates time back on. All he did was poke his head up - his arms were still locked. It was a 50-50 pedantic call, which the referee may have got right, but it was ultra-pedantic.

And today:

3. Titans v Sea Eagles: With the Sea Eagles leading 17-16, the Titans get a penalty right in front of the goal, because Matt Orford took out Preston Campbell for the ball. Replays showed this was CLEARLY incorrect, and the Titans kicked a penalty goal and won the game.

The officialdom needs to wake up to itself, because they are dead-set ruining quality games with atrocious calls. The AFL umpires could make better decisions without even knowing the rules of the game. The referee for today's game should be dropped next week.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:25 am 

I missed the Gold Coast game, but I saw South Sydney tie it up with Parramatta, and that was absolutely terrible refereeing. AFL umpires are copping flak because they have to do radical interpretations of shit rules, but they're only doing their job. The standard of NRL refereeing has dropped considerably for the 2009 season.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:42 am 

You should be watching the last day of the Premier League. :P

Torres has just put us 1-0 up. Nothing to play for, but a win would be nice to keep us close to Man Utd.

My friend supports Newcastle and they've just gone 1-0. :lol: I think they might be going down. I hope so. I will rip the piss out of him if they do.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:14 pm 

The Chargers beat the royal challengers in the IPL finals. Did any other cricket fan see the match??

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:31 pm 

I did! I've supported the Deccan Chargers for a while now, mainly because of the Gilchrist-Gibbs combination. I loved Roelof's stand though, he's a great young player who has an awesome future ahead of him in South African cricket.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:38 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
I did! I've supported the Deccan Chargers for a while now, mainly because of the Gilchrist-Gibbs combination. I loved Roelof's stand though, he's a great young player who has an awesome future ahead of him in South African cricket.

Once the Royals were out, I was hoping that the Chargers take the silverware. Great match!! The turning pt was the way Dravid got himself out. I mean he is the last person one would expect to get out that way.

Van der merwe did a good job in the beginning and Ross taylor in the end but they hardly got any support from the rest.

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:47 pm 

Definitely. What has the response been to this year's IPL, in India?

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:52 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:

Somewhat lower excitement than the last year but yeah its still extremely popular. But nothing matches watching the thing live, so you know.....

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:04 pm 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
Wretchedspirit wrote:

Somewhat lower excitement than the last year but yeah its still extremely popular. But nothing matches watching the thing live, so you know.....

Understandably. Do you think that you guys could once every five years or so, allow the IPL to be hosted in South Africa?

They won't make AS MUCH money, sure, but is that what it's all about? It being in SA adds another dimension and might save it from monotony.

What do you think?

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:14 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
Wretchedspirit wrote:

Understandably. Do you think that you guys could once every five years or so, allow the IPL to be hosted in South Africa?

They won't make AS MUCH money, sure, but is that what it's all about? It being in SA adds another dimension and might save it from monotony.

What do you think?

The bigwigs behind IPL are considering having 2 tournaments an year. One abroad and 1 in India. But i dont think the idea will materialise. The ICC calendar is already too cramped. Even the T20 WC is starting from next week.

I ve heard USA and Canada are being considered as future venues if the 2 IPL an year idea happens. And yeah SA and England are also considered.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:17 pm 

The Cavs-Magic game should be awesome. This has been a series for the ages thus far.

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:28 pm 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
the T20 WC is starting from next week.

I know! I'm excited :D

Quote:
I ve heard USA and Canada are being considered as future venues if the 2 IPL an year idea happens.

That is just ridiculous, hardly anyone will pitch.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:36 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
ScourgeOfDeath wrote:

Quote:
I ve heard USA and Canada are being considered as future venues if the 2 IPL an year idea happens.

Their idea is to take cricket to a global audience but I dont think it will work.

I fancy India's chances in the WC. The most of the team is in form. If even half the players carry their IPL form in the tournament then we are through.
On a related note, I can finally stop rueing Smith's bad form. :grin:

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:42 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
ScourgeOfDeath wrote:

Quote:

Their idea is to take cricket to a global audience but I dont think it will work.

I fancy India's chances in the WC. The most of the team is in form. If even half the players carry their IPL form in the tournament then we are through.

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:45 pm 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:

Hah! The South African team's ODI form has been exceptional, having thrashed the Aussies twice in two series, I'm confident that form will be carried over to the T20 format.

Talking about Smith, I see him rather often at a local coffee shop looking rather lonely. Poor guy :(

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:50 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
ScourgeOfDeath wrote:

Hah! The South African team's ODI form has been exceptional, having thrashed the Aussies twice in two series, I'm confident that form will be carried over to the T20 format.

Talking about Smith, I see him rather often at a local coffee shop looking rather lonely. Poor guy :(

The 2 series are old news now. Its the present that counts. Apart from De villiers and duminy none of the SA player have been remarkable in the IPL. Well maybe Kallis in a few matches but thats it.

At least Smith gets a chance to leave his home without getting mobbed. If Dhoni decides to visit a coffee shop, there would be traffic jams in the area.

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:14 pm 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
Wretchedspirit wrote:
ScourgeOfDeath wrote:

The 2 series are old news now. Its the present that counts. Apart from De villiers and duminy none of the SA player have been remarkable in the IPL. Well maybe Kallis in a few matches but thats it.

At least Smith gets a chance to leave his home without getting mobbed. If Dhoni decides to visit a coffee shop, there would be traffic jams in the area.

Oh, whatever! Form is temporary, class is permanent anyway :D

I was thinking about just that, recently. I remember how big it was in India when Dhoni got a haircut. :ugh:
The life of an Indian cricketer must be tough.

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:09 am 

Oh lawd, the Magic are causing some havoc

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:25 pm 

I'm glad the Magic won, I'm sick of the Cavaliers.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:18 pm 

Beat that Mikey, 8/8 NRL tips this week!!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:20 pm 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
Beat that Mikey, 8/8 NRL tips this week!!

Ah, fuck ya! I only got 4. :(

Wait, you picked a draw between Rabbitohs and Eels?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 136  Next