Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:10 pm 

I hear that one's pretty tough for English speakers (or maybe it was Turkish) which kinda bums me out because I love Dalriada and all their lyrics are in Hungarian

Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:59 am 

This might be relevant to the people on this thread interested in actual linguistics and not those saying "i can speak.would like to learn X language.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/a ... n-language
Maybe the world will revert back to the Dark Ages in that sense. Like, 100 years from now, "Enter Sandman" will just be a folk song that anyone can play at any time and that no one in particular will own the rights to.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:44 pm 

Dhranna wrote:
This might be relevant to the people on this thread interested in actual linguistics and not those saying "i can speak.would like to learn X language.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/a ... n-language

The several sentences where the language is described are interesting indeed.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:31 pm 

Nhor wrote:
I hear that one's pretty tough for English speakers (or maybe it was Turkish) which kinda bums me out because I love Dalriada and all their lyrics are in Hungarian

I am not a native English speaker, so I don't know. I met a Hungarian girl a few days ago and we talked about music.
Maybe she could translate for me one or two metal songs one day.
I am studying Hungarian for now and I have also studied Japanese and English.

Last edited by ~Guest 375103 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keletkezes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:15 pm 

Matyu wrote:
I subscribed to his youtube channel. I hope he'll make a video about Hungarian language.
Aww, I wanted to do Hungarian at Uni but no-one offers it :( That's how I ended up doing Russian. I also did German.

Yahko wrote:
The challenge of how to translate an idiom or a joke from Russian to Hebrew, English to Hebrew, English to Russian is really interesting. Trying to translate phrases or finding their equivalent in another language is a challenge.
Ireally like doing that too: tells you a lot aboutt he culture the language comes from, as well as its linguistic trajectory :)

Festivus wrote:
Romanian... I am Portuguese and can barely make anything of it, whether written or spoken. Spoken Romanian just sounds like Italian with a Slavic accent.
Crikey, that's like the opposite of Slovene: that sounds like a sort of weird Russian with an Italian accent!

StainedClass95 wrote:
I take a certain interest in the field though I don't know any languages other than English, a smattering of Spanish and German but nothing fluent. My interests more relate to the relationships between languages and the dialects within. The relationship of say, English to Dutch is interesting to me even if I can't understand the latter. Also, the map of languages and dialects and what that bodes for culture more broadly is interesting and somewhat practical as well. It's always nice to be able to quickly gauge the person you're speaking to and what to expect and how to handle it.
Yes yes yes! I love science and languages, so linguistics is right up my street. Though my marks in all the linguistic modules at Uni were awful XD

I like to look at socio-historical links, so why are there borrowed words from this language that appear at this time, and why aren't they used now, etc., as well as all that mentoned above. Like bistro: the French introduced cafe culture to Russia (18-19th century, maybe, this was?), heard them shouting 'bystro, bystro!' (быстро) and so a cafe with a fast food service became a bistro :) Double-borrowing occured when Russian started using the word bistro (бистро) more recently!

Twitter: @keletkezes
Facebook: keletkezes
ВКонтакте: Dawn Hazle

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:22 pm 

Speaking of Russian, wouldn't mind learning that, but I just can't find the motivation to do so.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:13 pm 

keletkezes wrote:
StainedClass95 wrote:
the map of languages and dialects and what that bodes for culture more broadly is interesting and somewhat practical as well. It's always nice to be able to quickly gauge the person you're speaking to and what to expect and how to handle it.

I like to look at socio-historical links, so why are there borrowed words from this language that appear at this time, and why aren't they used now, etc., as well as all that mentoned above. Like bistro: the French introduced cafe culture to Russia (18-19th century, maybe, this was?), heard them shouting 'bystro, bystro!' (быстро) and so a cafe with a fast food service became a bistro :) Double-borrowing occured when Russian started using the word bistro (бистро) more recently!

This kind of stuff is neat :) Sometimes you really can discover a lot about cultural borrowings across history, just by looking at what words are used. Like in Tok Pisin (pronounced "talk pidgin") of Papua New Guinea, where the official, non-slang, term for "completely broken" is "bagarap olgeta" ... Yes that comes from "buggered up altogether" :D That tells me the English didn't exactly send Oxford scholars to teach the Papuans!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:26 pm 

This woman is incredible. When I first saw the video title, I thought it was just going to be some "fush n chups" nonsense, but she really does get it and break it down better than I could even realize myself. Also entertaining to hear how she just slips in and out of different accents seamlessly

She does seem to ham up the NZ accent a bit, but it's not really any different to how you'd hear some small town girls speak in real life :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2