Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:38 pm 

Heavens no, just goofy designs with the icing. Play on various fears: I Ching symbolism, Illuminati symbolism, etc. The conspiracy theorists I work with will love it.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:36 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
Heavens no, just goofy designs with the icing. Play on various fears: I Ching symbolism, Illuminati symbolism, etc. The conspiracy theorists I work with will love it.

Working with conspiracy theorists, god what a chore it is to listen to them talk about the reptilian overlords, owls and microchips.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:29 pm 

The conspiracy theorists I work with tend to think it's going to be hillbillies and rednecks overthrowing the government. I guess it's a regional thing...

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:19 pm 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
Has anyone else checked out what Senmuth has been up to lately? I checked out his site and was surprised to see that he released 13 compilations on more or less the same day. Even I'm not sure if I should be surprised or unconcerned.

Well, it says some of the tracks have been remastered. Im downloading two of them to see if I can hear his really early metal songs with better production. Other than that though, its rather silly that he released THAT MANY compilations. I mean really, his music is available for free already, and he released a few comps already. These may as well be playlists!

EDIT: I dunno, the remastering kinda feels like it compresses it too much.
Hehe, foreskins.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:03 pm 

I still need to check that stuff out. I'm a little frightened by the sheer amount of material though.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:35 pm 

Speaking of conspiracy theorists, there was this guy at my old highschool who was really into drugs, he'd do coke in the washroom all the time. He didn't come into class for a week and then he came in at a time when the teacher wasn't in the class. He ranted for about 20 minutes about how the illuminati was going to put everyone who wasn't a rich white conservative into hard labour camps and how that the Canadian and American governments were working together in Alaska to create an electromagnetic weapon capable of taking out entire cities.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:36 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
He ranted for about 20 minutes about how the illuminati was going to put everyone who wasn't a rich white conservative into hard labour camps and how that the Canadian and American governments were working together in Alaska to create an electromagnetic weapon capable of taking out entire cities.

You talk as though this should be an unexpected outcome.

Last edited by Zelkiiro on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:36 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
I still need to check that stuff out. I'm a little frightened by the sheer amount of material though.

Highlight albums (randomly selected for your pleasure):

Rajas (neat sort of experimental metal meets a host of synths and synthesized instruments, as well as some of Senmuth's more adventurous guitar solos)
M.OMEN.T (sweeping soundscapes, some drone/doom-y riffs as well as ethnic percussion)
Akhet Mery Ra (epic egyptian concept album with some weird yet cool death metal songs, as well as a wide variety of other genres, vocals and guest musicians!)
Swadhisthana (neat experimental "bollywood metal" album that uses lots of samples from indian music)
Bark of Ra (Essential; its basically "the Senmuth album everyone knows", or at least his most popular)
Nature (really cool mix of ambient, ethnic instruments, electronica, bit of guitars... Really just a sweet middleground of his many sounds)
Ra Dhi (diverse mix of ethno-ambient, a bit of dub, some cheesy yet epic EBM)
RXG-242-11 (Sorta raw Samael-tribute esque album; very complex songs that are still really hook-y and accessible; vocals!)
Exouniverse (sweeping sort of ethno-ambient meets space sounds with some guitars here and there and middle eastern strings)
Hexeractime (very tight, technical math metal sort of release)
Pat Hof Neu Rog Ene Sis (This one has grown on me every single time I've spun it, lots of acoustic work as well as some distorted guitars interspersed, and of course the many layers of sound. At times reminds me a bit of Alchemist, oddly)
Nagaratyanta (cool sort of experimental death metal sort of release with long ambient passages)
Great Oppositions of Mars (another space themed one, mix of sounds from minimal electronics to walls of string synths to more electronic synths and some almost Ocean Machine-y guitars; personal favorite is probably "Argyre" from this)
Kemet High Tech Part I (sweet mix of middle eastern sounds, electronics and industrial metal riffs)
Kami No Miti (worth it for the closing track alone)
Hehe, foreskins.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:13 pm 

Am I the only one on the internet who doesn't really care that 20 kids were killed the other day? I mean, sure, tragedy, but I just find it really hard to even care about what happened. I know some people are all shocked and sympathetic, and I'm not denying that it was a tragedy, but I don't actually know these people, or their kids, so I have no real reason to feel pity or remorse. Our lives are not connected in any way shape or form.

Lol

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:16 pm 

If so, then why do you even feel the need to comment on it? Really, by actually stating your lack of interest for the whole situation, you end up coming across as quite the douche. Not saying that you are, but that's what your comment makes you sound like.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cahuich
Chemical Sexican

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:17 pm 

and you came here to vent

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:47 pm 

I must say though that I feel in a similar way. The thing is that a lot of people on the internet think it necessary to make it as clear as possible that they are deeply touched by such tragedies. I'm pretty convinced most of them are actually pretty much emotionally indifferent about it but do not dare to admit that to themselves and need to prove their "humanity" by being vocal about it. It's just a reflection of the attitude of the media who fails to deliver a simple factual coverage, that would be much needed, because of shameless sensationalism (e.g. desperately trying to interview traumatized children and their relatives) which is then glossed over by faked empathy.

Meanwhile ten thousands of children die of starvation every day and nobody gives a fuck.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:58 pm 

Well because my indifference seems to bother my girlfriend, so I'm just wondering if I really am wrong for not feeling indifferent about the whole thing. Hey, I'm not connected to the events in any way, and I never knew the families involved. My condolences to them, but I'm not about to vocalize my empathy.

[quote=inhumanist]Meanwhile ten thousands of children die of starvation every day and nobody gives a fuck.[/quote]

System reference?

I mean, who spoke out against the Israeli bombings that targeted residences in the Gaza strip? I don't remember seeing many people saying anything about that. But of course, that is partly the media's fault as they like to turn a blind eye to certain things.

Lol

Crick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:11 pm 

There's a difference between being totally indifferent and not being emotionally distraught over it. I heard about it and went "Well, fuck. That's awful." But otherwise I wasn't particularly upset. My day wasn't ruined or anything. If you ask me, pretending you're heartbroken over the deaths of people you never knew is rather insincere.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:14 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
I mean, who spoke out against the Israeli bombings that targeted residences in the Gaza strip? I don't remember seeing many people saying anything about that. But of course, that is partly the media's fault as they like to turn a blind eye to certain things.

This has always seemed like a rather ridiculous argument to me. I mean, if people don't actually hear about a tragedy, why should you expect them to feel bad over it? You need to first acknowledge an event to then be able to state how you feel about it.
Crick wrote:
There's a difference between being totally indifferent and not being emotionally distraught over it. I heard about it and went "Well, fuck. That's awful." But otherwise I wasn't particularly upset. My day wasn't ruined or anything. If you ask me, pretending you're heartbroken over the deaths of people you never knew is rather insincere.

This I can agree with, but precisely saying just "fuck, that's awful" is enough to not slander someone as an unempathic bastard.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:19 pm 

Uhh...you had to pick like the one thing the internet goes crazy over; the Israeli-Palestine conflict. I see shit about that, literally every single day, on facebook. Maybe it's less about media-coverage and more about who you surround yourself with?

As for the tragedy, yes, millions die of starvation, and yes, most people when they sit around thinking about that will probably be just as crushed, but you can't deny the implicit effect of tragedy as a sudden, philosophical "fuck you" to order and security. Maybe people are feigning it, but going "well, fuck that sucks", the same reaction you'd have if an album was delayed or that your sports team lost, is kind of a dick-bag reaction - and yeah, you probably are lacking some human aspect of empathy. It's not the scale of the event, it's not the victims of the event (as you said, starving children outnumber murdered children) but the nature of the event is horrifying and jarring - hence people's completely understandable and emotional response.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Crick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:24 pm 

It's not to say I lack empathy. I consider myself a pretty nice person; I'm always really happy to see proof that we as human beings aren't an utterly lost cause. But I'm also living in a day and age where horrendous violence literally happens almost every month. I'm desensitized to it to the point where I simply can't be moved to actual sadness by things that dont happen to people I know. If I was, I'd likely be an emotional trainwreck due to the sheer influx of horrible things I hear about on a day to day basis.
Hehe, foreskins.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:34 pm 

I feel exactly the same way, Crick. And shit, even a fuck that's awful is not entirely necessary unless you plan on somehow doing something about it. A tragedy of the sort is implicitely and inherently awful. I don't think people will assume you're glad it happened if you don't plaster your facebook with it. Unless you're one of those massive assholes from WBC who are somehow blaming gay marriage for it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:46 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I feel exactly the same way, Crick. And shit, even a fuck that's awful is not entirely necessary unless you plan on somehow doing something about it. A tragedy of the sort is implicitely and inherently awful. I don't think people will assume you're glad it happened if you don't plaster your facebook with it. Unless you're one of those massive assholes from WBC who are somehow blaming gay marriage for it.

Well, that's what being part of a sect can do to your brain.

Crick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:53 pm 

Remove it through a ritualized lobotomy?
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:55 pm 

Basically, yes. Believing in such bullshit is very dangerous for one's own mind.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:03 pm 

Events like this shooting always bum me out because they make me think about starving people and other tragedies. Something like "wow twenty kids were killed that's horrible, wait, why does this matter so much, thousands of kids die much more painful deaths daily... Fuck, thousands of kids die much more painful deaths daily, that's horrible..."

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:04 pm 

Since were on the topic of the Connecticut shootings still, how many of you know that a man was arrested in Indiana with 47 firearms found in his house along with thousands of rounds of ammunition? He said that his plans were to enter an elementary school and kill as many people as he could. Thankfully he was found before anything tragic happened(again). The whole situation with the school is really quite sad.

Fuck the WBC. They're an antagonistic hate group.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:29 pm 

iAm wrote:
Since were on the topic of the Connecticut shootings still, how many of you know that a man was arrested in Indiana with 47 firearms found in his house along with thousands of rounds of ammunition? He said that his plans were to enter an elementary school and kill as many people as he could. Thankfully he was found before anything tragic happened(again). The whole situation with the school is really quite sad.

I think I also heard that this was supposed to happen on Friday as well, the same day.

Odd things happen all the time.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:31 pm 

Yeah, and those stabbings in China. That's crazy.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:02 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:

Look at Crick's list, but you can't go wrong with pretty much any of it. I like Hagwalah a lot if you're into something a little more recent.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:28 pm 

Thanks guys, I'll check some of it out... I just have to build up the courage to delve into it. I have one of those "I have to listen to it all" type mentalities, and that discography looks like it could take some time!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:43 pm 

Just heard from an interview that Kirk Windstein from Crowbar and Down is going to be doing an acoustic project.
http://www.thisisnotascene.com/2012/kir ... tock-2012/

:hyper:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:57 pm 

So, some person asked me to run some menial errand today and I told them I was too busy with very important business to attend to! They didn't take it too well considering I was holding a bottle of cider at the time!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:58 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
So, some person asked me to run some menial errand today and I told them I was too busy with very important business to attend to! They didn't take it too well considering I was holding a bottle of cider at the time!

Johnnie's drinkin' apple juice!

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:24 pm 

After noticing that many people (NOT on here) are surprised that the shootings took place in an elementary school just proves that they are not really paying attention to the tragedies around them. There have been PLENTY of school shootings that took place in an elementary school like the one in Seattle, Washington, and the one in Stockton, California. Tragedies like that are bound to happen. Shootings/Massacres tend to happen everywhere BESIDES America (I've heard so many people say that they are disgusted with today's world because they heard of MASSIVE shootings like this in AMERICA and don't even bother paying attention to tragedies that tend to occur all around them and OUTSIDE of America and only because everyone is talking about it and it is on major news stations like CNN 24/7), and most of them involve kids getting killed.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
I've heard so many people say that they are disgusted with today's world

I'm tired of hearing this too, our world has ALWAYS been full of baby raping/killing psychopaths, we just have the damn light on now and can see the cockroaches, I mean fuck, the huns would rape UNBORN children, the world=fucked and people need to get over it and be happy that whats-his-nuts can't just go the next town over and continue his child shooting spree with out anyone knowing it was him in the first place.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:56 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
Am I the only one on the internet who doesn't really care that 20 kids were killed the other day? I mean, sure, tragedy, but I just find it really hard to even care about what happened. I know some people are all shocked and sympathetic, and I'm not denying that it was a tragedy, but I don't actually know these people, or their kids, so I have no real reason to feel pity or remorse. Our lives are not connected in any way shape or form.

Again, what is up with you people who post this shit? No you don't have to cry about it or pray for them or learn the names of every single kid and mourn them all equally. However, it's just basic human nature to feel empathy and sorrow for such a great tragedy. How do you not understand this? It's not just you either; I've seen this kind of thing posted numerous times about different tragedies...is everyone just emotionally retarded now?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:02 am 

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95389

How many times do people need to be told that the Necronomicon is a fictional book? In 80 years time are people going to be trying to find all the textbooks mentioned passingly in Harry Potter?

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:19 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95389

How many times do people need to be told that the Necronomicon is a fictional book? In 80 years time are people going to be trying to find all the textbooks mentioned passingly in Harry Potter?

To be fair, the Simon Necronomicon exists.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:38 am 

So my 10-year-old cousin is obsessed with horror movies(which is entirely my fault. :| ), and his parents attitude towards this baffles me. Their only concern is that, while watching them, he may encounter nudity. Because inhuman acts of violence and gore isn't as morally corrupting as the dreadful female nipple.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 am 

Lols, I actually have a fear of that personally, watching asian extreme movies and having someone walk in and think I have a fetish for teenage cyborg asian girls being torture-raped, I mean I suppose I do, but... huh :| . (massive self realizing moment)

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:56 am 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95389

To be fair, the Simon Necronomicon exists.

Yeah, but that's just some guy's stupid attempt to make it. There's no real Necronomicon.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:07 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Again, what is up with you people who post this shit? No you don't have to cry about it or pray for them or learn the names of every single kid and mourn them all equally. However, it's just basic human nature to feel empathy and sorrow for such a great tragedy. How do you not understand this? It's not just you either; I've seen this kind of thing posted numerous times about different tragedies...is everyone just emotionally retarded now?

I felt pretty bummed, because I plan on having a family and kids at some point and I can't imagine having to live through that ordeal. It must be close to impossible to endure not only that tragedy but every day thereafter, going about your habits as if your child is still there and then realizing that it was only yesterday that you were pouring your little girl or boy a glass of milk for breakfast or packing their lunch or whatever. The people that feign apathy in these situations are usually kids 14-18 who have yet to consider the rest of their lives, raising children, being a family, having something more precious in your life than anything you could imagine.

Sure, you don't have to go out of your way to express grief - this isn't North Korea - but to pretend that you have no emotional connection to the future of what your own life will bring is incredibly sad.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:16 am 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/1 ... 12186.html

To quell some of the hot air about banning guns, and teary-eyed pleas for empathy.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 719, 720, 721, 722, 723, 724, 725 ... 827  Next