Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 am 

You need to get on it if you have any love at all for Carpenter-esque existential horror.

I saw The Incredibles 2 last night. It's a worthy sequel and follow up to my favorite Pixar entry, though not as great a social commentary. Whereas the first was "we've allowed ourselves to succumb to mediocrity," this one is more technophobic. Though there's a bit of technophobia in the first as well, it was more casual whereas this is more direct. The alteration and growth of the family's dynamic, however, is on point. 8/10

The short preceding it, Bao, was beautiful. It hit all the right beats to bring some tears and finish them with smiles, which is what Pixar's storytelling strengths have always been. 8.5/10

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:16 am 

TAU - The Gwen Stefani lookalike from It Follows gets kidnapped by an artificial intelligence designer and locked in a high-tech house run by a computer with the voice of Gary Oldman. He wants to improve his AI research by learning how her human brain solves puzzles. But the ultimate puzzle is, can she convince the computer to help her escape?

My expectations weren't high based on the track record of Netflix original films, and this was another one I found mediocre. The acting was OK, but I didn't find the development of the human / computer relationship very compelling. Really the best thing about this movie was the look of the house itself. Middle of the road 5 / 10 rating, not nearly as bad as The Open House but not as good as The Ritual.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:07 pm 

Watched a couple movies recently:

Kubo and the Two Strings: I have mostly good things to say about this, though sometimes the ad-libbish dialogue was a bit clunky and awkward. Probably the weakest point of the movie, as overall the story was really cool. I thought it must have been a retelling of an old Japanese fable, but as far as I can tell this is an original story, so kudos to them for nailing the feel there. I also really liked the ruminations on dementia/senility. Pretty heavy themes for a kids' movie.

A Quiet Place: Dead simple story here, but essentially flawless execution. Ridiculously tense and utterly terrifying stuff. I haven't seen Hereditary yet but I'd call this my favorite horror movie since The VVitch.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:23 pm 

I really didn't see what other people see in A Quiet Place. I found it predictable on a scene-by-scene basis which killed all of the tension it was trying to build. The gimmick about not being able to make noise didn't really hold up since they could apparently make as much noise as they wanted so long as they didn't speak or scream. Wasn't really invested in any of the characters, creature effects looked early 2000s, incredibly stupid ending... yeah, I dunno. 5/10

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:10 pm 

Same. It doesn't adhere to its own logic, either.

darkeningday wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:26 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I saw The Incredibles 2 last night. It's a worthy sequel and follow up to my favorite Pixar entry, though not as great a social commentary. Whereas the first was "we've allowed ourselves to succumb to mediocrity," this one is more technophobic. Though there's a bit of technophobia in the first as well, it was more casual whereas this is more direct. The alteration and growth of the family's dynamic, however, is on point. 8/10

I don't think the message was "mass media is evil" so much as "mass media can easily be turned into a tool of misinformation and propaganda in the wrong hands", which given current events, couldn't be more relevant or appropriate.

But yeah, it was great. It was nice to focus on the mother, switching from its predecessor's "old has-been gets back into shape" story to something dealing more with themes of branching out and breaking routine for the sake of one's family. At times, it felt like it was juggling a few too many character quirks or plot points at the same time, but never to the point where it became a slog or unfocused. A worthy sequel.

Also, the raccoon scene was hysterical. My face hurt from laughter after that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:44 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I really didn't see what other people see in A Quiet Place. I found it predictable on a scene-by-scene basis which killed all of the tension it was trying to build. The gimmick about not being able to make noise didn't really hold up since they could apparently make as much noise as they wanted so long as they didn't speak or scream. Wasn't really invested in any of the characters, creature effects looked early 2000s, incredibly stupid ending... yeah, I dunno. 5/10

The story was a bit light and shaky on logic, and the ending wasn't great. But it worked for the atmosphere and how it was basically a silent movie a lot of the time. It was a simple story in its characters but I found it to work fine. I would've liked to see a more advanced writer try more complex things, but I liked the style enough that I found it a solid 4/5 horror movie. I liked the creativity.

Incredibles 2 was also solid, better than I expected after 14 years. I barely remember the first one actually. This one seemed to be going for more of the 'what if superheroes were regulated at a legal level' and it was okay at it. I liked the character development and humor a lot though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:52 am 

I dunno, I thought they did a great job of paying close attention to the sound. When were they making sound freely? I mean, they even took the care to establish things like them cooking their food in a sort of built-in smoker and eating on big pieces of lettuce so that they wouldn't have to make a bunch of noise with silverware on dishes. Also, it makes total sense that the at least partially intelligent monsters would tend to ignore sounds that could just be natural occurrences (so, for example, rustling corn stalks) and pay more attention to sounds clearly made by potential prey.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:31 am 

Yeah, that part was consistent. The part that wasn't, though, is
Spoiler: show
how the newspaper clippings say the aliens are impervious to weapons but a common 12-gauge takes care of them without issue.

darkeningday wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:11 am 

Huh? That was because
The feedback effect made their skull armor plating go all haywire, thus exposing the soft mushy interiors and opening them up to get blasted.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:35 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I dunno, I thought they did a great job of paying close attention to the sound. When were they making sound freely? I mean, they even took the care to establish things like them cooking their food in a sort of built-in smoker and eating on big pieces of lettuce so that they wouldn't have to make a bunch of noise with silverware on dishes. Also, it makes total sense that the at least partially intelligent monsters would tend to ignore sounds that could just be natural occurrences (so, for example, rustling corn stalks) and pay more attention to sounds clearly made by potential prey.

Yeah, all of that was fine. Most of it was solid. I just never quiiiiiiite believed that these things would ruin the entire world and make it some kind of post-apocalyptic hellscape, I guess.

I did a review of 47 Meters Down. Dumb shark movie that really had so many opportunities to be imaginative and creative, but took exactly none of them. A very cool underwater setting totally wasted. Just vapid really.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:39 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Huh? That was because
The feedback effect made their skull armor plating go all haywire, thus exposing the soft mushy interiors and opening them up to get blasted.

Which still doesn't make sense.
It's revealed in the newspaper clippings that scientists already know they hunt by sound...but nobody ever tried fucking with frequencies before? This is technology that already exists and not a single person tried it? I also don't buy that a bunker buster, .50 cal anti-tank round, or setting them on fire wouldn't work but a 12-gauge could.

It's a fine concept for a movie but the execution hinged on a key element that may as well have been a glass of water.

darkeningday wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 am 

Mehhh, those are extremely minor nitpicks to me. Basically every zombie movie ever can be torn apart with similar analysis, but where's the fun in that?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:22 pm 

Only they can't since most zombie movies are allegories for ineffective government, societal woes, and fear of herd mentality, not to mention about the inevitability of death. A Quiet Place is "shut your fucking mouth." If there were a character or two whose verbiage and thunderous chatter doomed others it would be one thing, or if there were Alex Jones types preaching new (and highly ineffective) ways of dealing with the threat, but when the climax comes through disconnected events and are painfully obvious...yeah, there's a monster in my room, can I have a glass of water?

darkeningday wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:42 pm 

There were three of the aliens in a small bumfuck rural area in the middle of nowhere with a population of what, a few hundred originally? So one alien per hundred or so humans. Multiply that times the population of Earth, seems like they could pretty well wreck shit.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:17 pm 

I'll fully admit that, on the surface, my issues seem petty. If applied to other movies or even overall sub-genres of horror then we'll eventually get into full-on nitpickery, but here are my issues with it.
The newspaper headlines specifically exist to relay the backstory of the family's situation. Doing so is actually a wonderful way of doing so, as the characters then must treat their world as real and that aids in the suspension of disbelief more than words can properly express. Several of those headlines allude to the aliens' invulnerability, and one even outright says that their weapons do not work.

Not that their numbers are too great (as is the case for most zombie apocalypse movies), not that their technology is too far advanced (as seen in nearly every alien invasion movie), but that humanity's collective weaponry did not work. If these creatures were such a vast threat there would be no logical reason for a government to not exercise every available option, up to and including nuclear strikes and chemical warfare. This idea is touched on in the very underrated Edge of Tomorrow and even in Pacific Rim, not to mention the originator of nearly every alien invasion trope, HG Wells' The War of the Worlds. The idea is that we are facing an enemy so beyond our comprehension and abilities to defend ourselves, either through technological advancement or sheer numbers, that we are the underdog.

This, by itself, is fine. It's a standard trope in the "alien invasion" sub-genre. Where it becomes insulting, however, is in how the movie is trying to say that a farmer family discovers how to kill it using existing technology when the various militaries of the world and scientists collectively have not. Remember, it's not expressed that the aliens have overrun the area before a working counter-offensive could be mounted, it is said that WE CANNOT KILL THEM, so when their weakness becomes something that is so common (infrasound) that it is used in devices which are sold in hardware stores and pharmacies as basic pest repellent? I cry foul. That's dumb on a level that's near the twist in Signs to me.

"Buckshot and loud noises, my only weaknesses, how did you know?!"

If the father had been trying to find the right frequency to stave them off instead of making his daughter's hearing aid work? I'd think differently. I even like the theme of the movie, that silence (particularly of women) to surrounding atrocities only prolongs their existence, but I feel the execution came across as lazy. It seems like any slow movie with an even halfway decent concept is heralded as a masterpiece these days after years of garbage left, right, and center, but I don't think A Quiet Place did anything particularly great.

darkeningday wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:38 am 

How, exactly, would you nuke pony-sized predator creatures that seemingly spread out and embed themselves within enclaves of human habitation in order to prey on them? If they spread quickly (they can certainly move quickly) and were all over the place, how could the military fight them? I dunno, I thought it was way more plausible that this would be a civilization-crippling (though clearly not world-ending) event than plenty of other apocalyptic horror movie scenarios that myself and plenty of other people are perfectly fine accepting.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:40 am 

Yeah well plenty of other people thought 50 Shades Freed was the spellbinding final installment in one of American literature's greatest epics. :-P
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:30 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
How, exactly, would you nuke pony-sized predator creatures that seemingly spread out and embed themselves within enclaves of human habitation in order to prey on them?

We have remote controlled missiles that can take out an entire building just to get one possible terrorist. Collateral damage means nothing against the survival of the species.
Quote:
If they spread quickly (they can certainly move quickly) and were all over the place, how could the military fight them?

I don't know, but this isn't what the movie tells us. It explicitly says "weapons have no effect," not "there are too many of them." That's a big difference.
Quote:
I dunno, I thought it was way more plausible that this would be a civilization-crippling (though clearly not world-ending) event than plenty of other apocalyptic horror movie scenarios that myself and plenty of other people are perfectly fine accepting.

I can also accept it, but I can't accept plot points that serve counteractively to established in-film canon. Imagine if ROTJ revealed Vader lied about being Luke's father, or, even better, if Ghostbusters ended with Walter Peck being right. Endings matter, and an ending that goes against the internal logic of a story is a bad ending.

darkeningday wrote:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:48 pm 

Honestly, there's so little mentioned about the background of the creatures in the movie that it barely matters at all. For all we know, 90% of the planet was sprayed with some kind of murder gas and the monsters were just sent in to deal with the survivors. The point of the movie is that a family in the middle of nowhere is surrounded by the things, and must find a way to survive their situation, which is compelling enough if you ask me.

The movie felt like you adapted one of those old school, self-contained sci fi/horror short stories, and I definitely mean that as a compliment. Just a really good mix of suspense, dread and smart instances of "show, don't tell" in a compact package. I super dug it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:46 pm 

Besides which, the whole "weapons have no effect" headline is just that: a headline. A sensationalist, attention-grabbing line that for all we know was just referring to civilian rifles and pistols and whatnot, not tanks or bombs or whatever.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:33 am 

So, in other words, it's really not that well thought-out?

darkeningday wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:14 am 

Then we have The First Purge, which is what happens when a filmmaker decides people still aren't listening to what he's saying or understanding the very overt politics on display, so all nuance is cast aside for complete bluntness. This has the worst dialogue and greatest collection of mediocre acting in the entire series but also features the best direction and most visceral action.

I still say this entire series is important in today's political climate. That the film's anti-racism message is still being misconstrued as being "racist toward whites" is a testament to it and how easily it ruffles neo-con feathers. If the purge as an allegory for class warfare wasn't already clear prior? This one absolutely hammers it home.

darkeningday wrote:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:00 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
So, in other words, it's really not that well thought-out?

Rather, I think it just doesn't matter. But, hey, depends on where you're standing.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:47 pm 

Justice League - Another superhero movie with a special effects extravaganza finale that left me completely cold. The Wonder Woman solo movie was much better overall. At this point the only upcoming DC universe films I'm interested in seeing are Wonder Woman 2 and possibly Aquaman, mainly because James Wan is directing the latter.

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist - Too many comedies have at most one genuinely memorable and quotable part. Although I've never ranked Kung Pow among my favorites, I was surprised how many lines I was anticipating right before they happened. This packs enough laughs in its 80 minutes to make it worth watching once in a while when I'm in a goofy mood.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:11 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist - Too many comedies have at most one genuinely memorable and quotable part. Although I've never ranked Kung Pow among my favorites, I was surprised how many lines I was anticipating right before they happened. This packs enough laughs in its 80 minutes to make it worth watching once in a while when I'm in a goofy mood.

"And then...he killed the dog."

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:48 pm 

Finally watched and reviewed The Dark Knight for the first time since 2008, and long review short, I felt that Nolan truly swung for the fences and constantly hit homers while doing so, creating an epic, multi-faceted, larger than life tale, driven by a dark, tragic tone, busy (in a good way) plotting, and an absolutely propulsive overall pace, almost never slowing down, but continually ramping things up to an almost unbearable degree, with a dread-laden, almost apocalyptic tone underpinning the whole affair. This is truly an uncommonly, undeniably powerful piece of pop entertainment, and all in all, my rewatch has convinced me that the (dark) knight in shining armor of modern-day cinema is officially here to stay, for a long, long time...

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 am 

I finally watched Guardians of the Galaxy 1. Worth it for the Lloyd Kaufman cameo. Indeed, this is essentially what a Troma movie looks like when it's PG-13 with a budget.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 pm 

Morgan - Ended up being not as similar to Ex Machina as I assumed. In this one, the "artificial person" was created by biologists instead of a computer scientist. When she displays violent tendencies, a risk management analyst has to decide how to handle her. Better, and more action-oriented, than I expected.

Weekend at Bernie's - All the funniest parts in this come after Bernie dies. So there are dull stretches in the opening scenes that set up the motivation for the murder. But once they get to the beach house and start with all the corpse-related humor, I laughed out loud more than I'd like to admit. Yeah, this is a solid comedy. No desire to see the sequel though.

Smalley wrote:
The Dark Knight ... almost apocalyptic tone underpinning the whole affair

Agreed, and it's amazing the stakes in TDK feel so high compared to more recent superhero movies with CG overload third acts about alien or extra-dimensional beings threatening to ruin the entire planet. When I complain about movies like Justice League losing my interest during the big finale, I can't help but think back to how TDK's technically smaller-scale ending was so much more engaging.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:

Smalley wrote:
The Dark Knight ... almost apocalyptic tone underpinning the whole affair

Agreed, and it's amazing the stakes in TDK feel so high compared to more recent superhero movies with CG overload third acts about alien or extra-dimensional beings threatening to ruin the entire planet. When I complain about movies like Justice League losing my interest during the big finale, I can't help but think back to how TDK's technically smaller-scale ending was so much more engaging.

In the The Dark Knight, Christopher Nolan knew how appeal to audiences and build tension. We see "gotta save the world" bullshit all the time in these movies. It's one of those things that tends to be bigger than humans can easily fathom or really see themselves in. Dark Knight hits personal levels. A big part is the two ferries. One full of prison inmates, one full of regular people. They each have detonators for the bombs on the opposing ship, so if they just kill the other, they get to live. That strikes core human values. It's a situation where an audience can easily see themselves. It builds real tension, and the characters in the situation drive it home.

Go back to Bats v Supes, and the final sequence is just so much flashing bullshit that I don't care. The only "human" involved is Batman, the meta-humans can do anything, and Superman dies for really no reason but I don't care, because he was a dick for most of the movie. Showing a bunch of buildings being destroyed in CG masturbation hardly makes for exciting filmmaking.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:26 pm 

Watched Watchmen last night, all the praise the movie got was definitely well deserved.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:14 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I finally watched Guardians of the Galaxy 1. Worth it for the Lloyd Kaufman cameo. Indeed, this is essentially what a Troma movie looks like when it's PG-13 with a budget.

Ironically, just as James Gunn was fired from the series.

I saw some of the tweets - pretty fucking bad and it was probably the right decision. He doesn't seem like a well guy.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:34 pm 

Since it's Disney I can see it. But if it were any other film company, I think it would've been stupid to fire him.

Then again, perhaps I'm more of a "free speech" type than most, soo...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:37 pm 

If he was an edgy stand up comic just wanting to go perform in random rooms around the country, that'd be one thing... but it's a PR thing and ya never know when a situation like this opens up into some #MeToo scandal if they don't nip it in the bud now. The tweets were bad, too. Maybe the guy needs help or something. I dunno his life.

And free speech only means the government can't arrest you for what you say. Anything else is fair game to be fired over or anything.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:21 pm 

The guy cut his teeth writing some of the most offensively hilarious and brilliant material of the 90s. Not only that, but the tweets were made years before GotG 1, and he also apologized for them already.

Whatever insane magic GotG had is gone now. Gunn was the mad scientist who could make it all work. GotG 3 will be shit unless they find somebody with the same level of care that Gunn possessed. Given the MCU's track record after Winter Soldier? Color me doubtful.

darkeningday wrote:

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:07 pm 

I watched two Netflix movies recently, The Boy and The Ritual.

In both cases, it seems like they got greenlit before they had much more than a premise to them. Neither story is sufficient to fill out the run time of a full length feature. The Ritual was the better of the two, but only had an hour's worth of story to fill its 94 minutes. The rest was half-assed character development that didn't help me care about anyone anyway.

The Boy was no more than an episode of The X-Files, strung out waaaay too long. What's-her-name, Maggie from The Walking Dead, does her level best to act at nothing for most of the 97 minutes, but she can't save it. Cut out an hour and they would have had something.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:15 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Whatever insane magic GotG had is gone now.

That was my reaction while watching GotG Vol. 2. :boo:

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:22 pm 

Eh, there's two kinds of free speech. There's the kind that is protected by federal law, and there's the general principle of allowing people to voice opinions. Something can be restrictive or "against" the second kind of free speech while still in not going against the first.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:07 am 

Empyreal wrote:
If he was an edgy stand up comic just wanting to go perform in random rooms around the country, that'd be one thing... but it's a PR thing and ya never know when a situation like this opens up into some #MeToo scandal if they don't nip it in the bud now. The tweets were bad, too. Maybe the guy needs help or something. I dunno his life.

And free speech only means the government can't arrest you for what you say. Anything else is fair game to be fired over or anything.

Gunn has been an outspoken critic of Trump, Trump fans are some of the most easily butthurt people in the galaxy but also mildly tech-savvy, so they unearthed deleted tweets he wrote 10 fucking years ago, turned them into Disney and Disney's entire board of director's monocles popped off simultaneously and in unison said, "Good gravy! Who would have thought the man behind such wholesome, family-friendly entertainment as multiple Troma films and PG Porn has also written edgy tweets long before he had anything to do with Marvel, which he also promptly deleted! Heaven have mercy, this is simply unprecedented!"

This is no different from when Sam Seder was dropped from MSNBC after he pissed off an alt-right guy.* Weaponizing deleted tweets from a decade ago should not be an acceptable method of getting someone fired unless it's a clear threat or incitement of violence. Period.

Hopefully Disney will do as MSNBC did and come to their senses. If not, I can't wait to not watch GotG3.

EDIT:
*and what do you know. It was the same guy. Disney literally just killed their own franchise to appease a Nazi. woo.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:32 pm 

I wonder what the consensus, most widely accepted cut-off date for weaponizing a tweet is, though. It seems like nobody knows any of the new "Rules of Engagement" for the social media age and we are all just figuring them out or making them up as we go along.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 706, 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712 ... 819  Next