Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:30 pm 

The blank room soup video. I've seen an analysis back in 2015 by reignbot still not solved. Is it an arg? The videos are pretty creepy especially the one with the sudden cut.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:37 am 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
The blank room soup video. I've seen an analysis back in 2015 by reignbot still not solved. Is it an arg? The videos are pretty creepy especially the one with the sudden cut.
I've been following Reignbot since the beginning and I have to say I love her stuff. She doesn't do as many videos as much as she used to. Kind of bums me out.

That being said, I think the soup video is a total fake. I saw it debunked on ScareTheater (I believe that was the channel). They traced the costumes used to a theater production. The guy said the costumes were stolen and he has no idea what happened to them. The entire thing was really fishy. https://youtu.be/eqO4453PB8gThe soup clip itself is actually pretty interesting and very original. I remember the first time I saw it I was so blown away by it. There were stories associated with it. The guy is being forced to eat human remains, of his mother, child, etc.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:19 pm 

In case anyone in here can understand Spanish, here's a very cool video about the supposed story of the Torture Soup thing.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:14 pm 

^^had never heard of those vids... :/

///

the Flannan Isles Lighthouse keepers' disappearance in 1900... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flannan_Isles_Lighthouse

sadly both movies made about it are crap :/

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:06 am 

Love ReignBot. I wish she covered more than just... for lack of a better term, *dark internet memes*. It gets a bit old following every obviously fake Twitter/YouTube ARG in existence, and in a way she admits as such.

But her content does scratch a particular itch. I've watched a handful of similar channels and her style/input is by far more satisfying than any other popular creators.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:25 am 

aloof wrote:
^^had never heard of those vids... :/

///

the Flannan Isles Lighthouse keepers' disappearance in 1900... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flannan_Isles_Lighthouse

sadly both movies made about it are crap :/
Have you seen the movie Lighthouse? It's about two lighthouse keepers in the early 1900s. I thought it was excellent.
I had looked into this case years ago and the Lighthouse movie brought back to looking into it. I believe what happened was possibly one of the keepers was outside during a storm. The two remaining lighthouse keepers went to investigate, possibly in a rush and did something stupid. In the sense that going outside without gear on, that kind of thing. All men ended up washed away. I've spent a million hours out at sea and even the most experienced mariner can end up hurt or dead if they do something in a hurry or stupid. It's interesting, but I dont think a UFO came down and took them.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:56 am 

if you mean the recent one, yes, that's the reason I looked this up... I hated the movie, it doesn't do the unsolved mystery justice to begin with and
Spoiler: show
they were both greek gods? come on!

back to the mystery, according to the wiki entry, "iron railings were bent over, the iron railway by the path was wrenched out of its concrete, and a rock weighing more than a ton had been displaced" that's not standard storm fare :D and yes, I have read too much Lovecraft, but I don't think it was just a case of "hey, look, a flat stone! wanna go play down at the water, during a storm? what could possibly go wrong!?" :)

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:02 am 

nightbreaker33 wrote:

That was a promotional thriller video created and patrocinated in 2006 by the same creator and owner. That dude worked to Elmo.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:16 pm 

Lighthouses are in some very exposed locations of course. There's a lighthouse a 2 hour drive from where I grew up which is accessed by a steep 250-step staircase. We climbed up there in reasonably strong wind once, and could barely stand up when we got to the top. It's not hard to imagine storm-strength winds creating a freak wave and sending it all the way up a cliff, dislodging a boulder and so on. There's also this lighthouse incident listed on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rogue_waves
Quote:
On 11 March 1861 at midday the lighthouse on Eagle Island, off the west coast of Ireland was struck by a large wave that smashed 23 panes, washing some of the lamps down the stairs and damaging beyond repair the reflectors with broken glass. In order to damage the uppermost portion of the lighthouse, water would have had to surmount a seaside cliff measuring 40 m (133 ft) and a further 26 m (87 ft) of lighthouse structure.

edit: found a photo of a big wave vs Eagle Island lighthouse.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:38 pm 

The incident from 11 March 1861 is some pretty sick waves. I would sea how someone could of easily been washed over. Even a very experienced mariner/sailor. The worst I have ever been in was my first ship in the US Navy. We were in three days of 30+ foot seas. Even though the Navy is the Navy, they are a kindler gentler Navy. There's no going out on deck, unless the CO says so and you have to be harnessed up.
I believe that's probably what happened at the Lighthouse where the three guys just disappeared. I'm guessing someone saw someone get washed over outside. The other two ran out two assist and they got washed over. I believe it said there was still rain gear inside, meaning someone wasn't wearing it. Thus that person most likely ran out for some type of emergency.

Quote:

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 pm 

The Golden State Killer has pleaded guilty yesterday to his crimes. Its officially not unsolved anymore. Now if they could only get the Zodiac.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53226327

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:58 am 

last_eulogy wrote:
The Golden State Killer has pleaded guilty yesterday to his crimes. Its officially not unsolved anymore. Now if they could only get the Zodiac.

The things that guy did to people are truly horrifying.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:48 am 

I find it truly pathetic, but also a commentary on everything this guy did when reading he plea bargained to avoid receiving the death sentence.

This guy violently killed all kinds of people, some of whom fought for their lives, with complete disregard with their wishes, but now when faced with his own mortality he will admit to anything to not be killed.

If this is actually the guy, like most other serial killers when found, he shrivels up and becomes a newt when the light is shown on him.

When I think of the fear and anger I have for what this guy did, I always end up wondering what was done to this person to cause this complete lack of empathy. Why is it OK for him to kill, but not be killed? The Wikipedia on this guy mentions a journal they found at one of the crime scenes (it hasn't been proven this was him writing this):

"Mad is the word, the word that reminds me of 6th grade. I hated that year ... I wish I had know what was going to be going on during my 6th grade year, the last and worst year of elementary school. Mad is the word that remains in my head about my dreadful year as a 6th grader. My Madness was one that was caused by disapointments that hurt me very much. Dissapointments from my teacher, such as feild trips that were planed, then canncled. My 6th grade teacher gave me a lot of dissapointments which made me very mad and made me built a state of haterd in my heart, no one ever let me down that hard before and I never hated anyone as much as I did him. Disapointment wasn't the only reason that made me mad in my sixth grade class, another was getting in trouble at school espeically talking thats what really bugged me was writing sentances, those awful sentance that my teacher made ... me write, hours and hours Id sit and write 50-100-150 sentance day and night I write those dreadful Paragraphs which embarrased me and more inportant it made me ashamed of myself which in turn, deep down in side made me realize that writing sentance wasn't fair it wasn't fair to make me suffer like that, it just wasn't fair to make me sit and wright until my bones aked, until my hand felt every horrid pain it ever had and as I wrote, I got mader and mader until I cried, I cried because I was ashamed I cried because I was discusted, I cried because I was mad, and I cried for myself, kid who kept on having to write those dane sentances. My Angryness from Sixth grade will scar my memory for life and I will be ashamed for my sixth grade year forever"

I'm sure, like all these cases no great truth will be unraveled from all this.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:59 am 

It's almost conspiracy theory levels of crazy how his confession came out within 24 hours of the new HBO documentary about Michelle McNamara and her quest to find EAR/ONS (aka the Golden State Killer) through talking to victims, pouring over past case data, and Google searches.

The documentary is called "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" which is a quote from EAR/ONS to one of his serial rape victims before he moved on to murder. The first episode was INCREDIBLY gripping.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:46 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I find it truly pathetic, but also a commentary on everything this guy did when reading he plea bargained to avoid receiving the death sentence.

This guy violently killed all kinds of people, some of whom fought for their lives, with complete disregard with their wishes, but now when faced with his own mortality he will admit to anything to not be killed.

If this is actually the guy, like most other serial killers when found, he shrivels up and becomes a newt when the light is shown on him.

When I think of the fear and anger I have for what this guy did, I always end up wondering what was done to this person to cause this complete lack of empathy. Why is it OK for him to kill, but not be killed? The Wikipedia on this guy mentions a journal they found at one of the crime scenes (it hasn't been proven this was him writing this):

"Mad is the word, the word that reminds me of 6th grade. I hated that year ... I wish I had know what was going to be going on during my 6th grade year, the last and worst year of elementary school. Mad is the word that remains in my head about my dreadful year as a 6th grader. My Madness was one that was caused by disapointments that hurt me very much. Dissapointments from my teacher, such as feild trips that were planed, then canncled. My 6th grade teacher gave me a lot of dissapointments which made me very mad and made me built a state of haterd in my heart, no one ever let me down that hard before and I never hated anyone as much as I did him. Disapointment wasn't the only reason that made me mad in my sixth grade class, another was getting in trouble at school espeically talking thats what really bugged me was writing sentances, those awful sentance that my teacher made ... me write, hours and hours Id sit and write 50-100-150 sentance day and night I write those dreadful Paragraphs which embarrased me and more inportant it made me ashamed of myself which in turn, deep down in side made me realize that writing sentance wasn't fair it wasn't fair to make me suffer like that, it just wasn't fair to make me sit and wright until my bones aked, until my hand felt every horrid pain it ever had and as I wrote, I got mader and mader until I cried, I cried because I was ashamed I cried because I was discusted, I cried because I was mad, and I cried for myself, kid who kept on having to write those dane sentances. My Angryness from Sixth grade will scar my memory for life and I will be ashamed for my sixth grade year forever"

I'm sure, like all these cases no great truth will be unraveled from all this.
I have studied this case quite a bit. I have a few of my own personal insights. maybe they are obvious.I believe he had a great hatred of women. That note was a note found near one of the crimes. The other was his micro penis. Probably caused a great deal of embarrassment, probably a lot of rejection. Specific incidents probably stewed away inside of him. I often wonder if killers are born are made. I believe cases can be made for both, but it seems like certain incidents push them over the edge. Manson was raped, Ramirez saw his brother shoot someone. Then you have someone like Dahmer who there really doesn't seem to be any traumatic events his childhood/teenage years.

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:02 pm 

last_eulogy wrote:

Does it mean that Golden State Killer was the zodiac killer at the end of the day?

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:03 pm 

If so, it's the most accurate so far.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:53 am 

I never heard the part about him having a micro-penis before.

I believe serial killers all have some chemical imbalance that causes their complete lack of empathy.

My loathing for this guy could reach higher levels if he all the raping and killing he did is a result of a small penis.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:47 am 

Apparently the courtoom erupted into laughter, when the judge mentioned his tiny penis. https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/30/court-erupts-laughter-prosecutor-tells-serial-sex-killers-tiny-penis-12923554/ Guy is such a scumbag, its the least of what he deserves.

I found his original psychological profile, from before he was caught. I always find these to be extremely interesting, when they are looking for unknown criminals.

An emotional age equivalent to a 26- to 30-year-old at the time the murders began in 1979
Engaged in paraphilic behavior and brutal sex in his personal life
Engaged in sex with prostitutes
Had some knowledge of police investigative methods and evidence-gathering techniques
Sexually functional, capable of ejaculation with consenting and non-consenting partners
Dressed well and would not stand out in upscale neighborhoods
Lived or worked near Ventura, California, in 1980
Good physical condition
Skilled, experienced cat burglar, and may have begun as such
Had a criminal record as a teenager which was expunged
Had some means of income, but did not work in the early-morning hours
Hated women for actual (or perceived) wrongs

Intelligent and articulate

Neat and well-organized in his personal life, and drove a well-maintained car
Peeped in the windows of many people who were not attacked

Self-assured and confident

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:21 am 

That part about the courtroom erupting in laughter is pretty good.

If penis size had anything to do with the things he did, I hope being laughed at awoke those same feelings in him and all he could do was realize he's stuck in a cell for the rest of his life and no matter how mad he get there's nothing he can do about it.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:55 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
That part about the courtroom erupting in laughter is pretty good.

If penis size had anything to do with the things he did, I hope being laughed at awoke those same feelings in him and all he could do was realize he's stuck in a cell for the rest of his life and no matter how mad he get there's nothing he can do about it.
Sadly, he will probably not even be in general population. I wasn't able to find what prison he will serve his sentence in. One thing that is pretty much a prison wide rule among inmates, is they hate rapists. This fucking asshole will most likely not even be in the general population.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:59 pm 

I started watching the series that Netflix obviously ripped off from this thread :D
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9642938/

for personal reasons, I started with episode 3, the Dupont de Ligonnès murders and disappearance:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupont_de ... appearance

The Dupont de Ligonnès murders and disappearance involved the murder of five members of the same family in Nantes, Loire-Atlantique, France, followed by the disappearance of the patriarch of the family, Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès. His wife Agnès Dupont de Ligonnès and their four children were murdered at an undetermined date in early April 2011, and their bodies were found buried in their garden on 21 April. Xavier disappeared at the same time and has not been found. The exact nature of the events have never been determined, but Xavier is the subject of an international arrest warrant and is considered the prime suspect in the murders.

I'm hooked!

edit: there's some slight discrepancies between the wiki page and the NF docu. not big ones, but important enough for either one to get wrong :/ some telling tidbits omitted from the docu as well... I'm booking a flight to Nantes.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:39 am 

One that I think is really interesting is the 1987 Max Headroom television hijacking.

From Wiki:
Quote:
On November 22, 1987, in an act of video piracy, the television broadcasts of two stations in Chicago, Illinois were hijacked by a video of an unknown person wearing a Max Headroom mask and costume, accompanied by distorted audio. The first incident took place for 25 seconds during the sports segment of WGN-TV's 9:00 p.m. news broadcast; the second occurred around two hours later, for about 90 seconds during PBS affiliate WTTW's broadcast of Doctor Who.

The hacker made references to Max Headroom's endorsement of Coca-Cola, the TV series Clutch Cargo, WGN anchor Chuck Swirsky; and "all the greatest world newspaper nerds", a reference to WGN's call letters, which stand for "World's Greatest Newspaper". A corrugated panel swiveled back and forth mimicking Max Headroom's geometric background effect. The video ended with a pair of exposed buttocks being spanked with a flyswatter before normal programming resumed. The culprits were never caught or identified

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdgAMYjYSs&feature=share

Last edited by ~Guest 2944 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:50 am 

I have zero idea how to hack something in the year 2020.

It's pretty amazing this was done in 1987.

I remember seeing some Reddit thread where someone claimed to know who did this, but Reddit will always be that nerdy, know it all kid that is always talking and no one wants to hear it.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:31 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

I remember seeing some Reddit thread where someone claimed to know who did this, but Reddit will always be that nerdy, know it all kid that is always talking and no one wants to hear it.

Around 1999/2000/2001 I was on a website like boredatwork.com, eBaums World or one of those. Just clicking on random links. I came across a website that had that angelfire look, but was a .com. It was actually an extremely strange persons website and there was some very out there stuff on the website. This person dressed like other people, but in very strange ways. They had pictures all over their website. They also sold books and DVD's/VHS I believe. It was a really interesting person and I looked for other information on the internet about this person. A story came up that this person was previously in trouble with the law. Something like hijacking a radio station signal, or a television signal. At the time I was 99 percent sure it was this person. My evidence was just my intuition. Nothing more. A few years went by and I had the link saved. I revisited the website and again searched around the information on this person. They had passed away in that time, but their website was still up. I have no idea what the website was, or even who the person was. It would be interesting to just look at the website if it is still up.

I've been looking around for the website. If I somehow find it, Ill edit this post and put up the link.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:35 am 

last_eulogy wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Around 1999/2000/2001 I was on a website like boredatwork.com, eBaums World or one of those. Just clicking on random links. I came across a website that had that angelfire look, but was a .com. It was actually an extremely strange persons website and there was some very out there stuff on the website. This person dressed like other people, but in very strange ways. They had pictures all over their website. They also sold books and DVD's/VHS I believe. It was a really interesting person and I looked for other information on the internet about this person. A story came up that this person was previously in trouble with the law. Something like hijacking a radio station signal, or a television signal. At the time I was 99 percent sure it was this person. My evidence was just my intuition. Nothing more. A few years went by and I had the link saved. I revisited the website and again searched around the information on this person. They had passed away in that time, but their website was still up. I have no idea what the website was, or even who the person was. It would be interesting to just look at the website if it is still up.

I've been looking around for the website. If I somehow find it, Ill edit this post and put up the link.

this is sounding like Shaye St-John a bit

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:54 pm 

niix wrote:
last_eulogy wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

this is sounding like Shaye St-John a bit
That's her. Thank you.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:11 pm 

hidden for size (he has since been identified, just shared this image for the compilation of information)

An interesting music one is Grateful doe (that has recently been solved). They found the dead body of a young deadhead and could not identify him..

Death of Jason Callahan

(From Wikipedia)

Callahan was killed in a vehicle crash, along with the driver, Michael Hager, after the Vanagon in which they were riding crashed into a pair of trees on U.S. Route 58 West around 1:30 PM on June 26, 1995.Neither man was wearing a seat belt, which likely contributed to each of their deaths. Found with Callahan's body were two scalped Grateful Dead tickets, a dollar in quarters, and a yellow Bic lighter. A letter was found, depending on sources either in Callahan's pocket or near the crash site, reading: Jason, Sorry we had to go, see ya around, call me #914-XXXX. Caroline T. & Caroline O. Bye!!!!. The phone number on the letter lacked an area code and never led to any additional clues. The letter also contained a small drawing that some speculate may be of Jerry Garcia. The tickets were dated June 24, 1995, and June 25, 1995, respectively; the Grateful Dead performed at the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium in Washington, D.C., on these dates. Neither of the 'Carolines' have ever been identified.

Before he was identified, Callahan was estimated to be between the ages of fifteen and twenty-one years old, had brown eyes with long curly brown or dark blond hair that had been dyed a reddish color. There was a tattoo of a star on his upper-left arm and another possible tattoo, which was faded, on his right arm, both of which appeared to have been amateurishly executed. He was wearing a beaded necklace and his left ear had been pierced but he was not wearing an earring. There was a scar found on his back. He was a Caucasian, had no apparent dental work as his third molars were visible, and his teeth were fairly well cared for. At the time of the accident he was wearing a red, tie-dyed Grateful Dead T-shirt, Levi's jeans, white socks and black Fila running shoes.

The vehicle's driver was identified as Michael E. Hager, 21, who may have picked Callahan up as a hitchhiker, and who authorities hypothesize may have fallen asleep at the wheel, as neither of the decedents had drugs or alcohol in their bodies. It has been suggested that Hager may have agreed to transport Callahan because of their similar styles of dress, as they both appeared to be fans of The Grateful Dead.[8] Authorities attempted to identify Callahan through fingerprint analysis with the aid of national databases, but were unsuccessful.

When interviewed, Hager's family could not identify the unknown passenger, who had been reported to have been riding in Hager's Volkswagen Vanagon when he stopped to give his father a letter in Williamsburg, Virginia. However, a detective from the area stated that this claim was not accurate, and that Hager was alone when he stopped to visit his father. It is speculated that Callahan had actually been picked up between Fairfax and Gloucester, Virginia.

Due to the severity of the lacerations on Callahan's face, mortuary photographs could not be released to the public, although a facial reconstruction was later released. In 2012, another facial reconstruction was created by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. The man who had originally bought the tickets found in Callahan's pocket did not remember the person to whom he had sold them. At least 221 missing people were ruled out as possible identities of the victim.

In 2015, photographs surfaced of a young man wearing similar clothes to those worn by the then-unidentified Callahan, and who bore a strong resemblance to the reconstruction images. The person in these photographs was named Jason and was described to have been a fan of the Grateful Dead. He had not been heard from since 1995 and was known to have lived in both Illinois and South Carolina. It had not yet been verified whether this was indeed the John Doe as his former roommates and other friends did not recall Jason's last name. The New York Post and BuzzFeed were some of the newspapers that covered the story.

In January 2015, law enforcement conducted a DNA test to see if the John Doe was the same man as Jason Patrick Callahan, the son of a 63-year-old woman who had not seen or heard from him since June 1995, when he left home to "follow the Grateful Dead". Callahan, who was identified as the young man in the photographs, is described as having been a white male with wavy blonde hair and brown eyes, standing between 5 feet 10 inches (1.78 meters) and 6 feet (1.83 meters) tall, and weighing about 160 pounds (70 kilograms). Callahan, if he was alive, would have been 38 at the time. Callahan was not reported missing by his mother until 2015.

Lt. Joey Crosby, spokesman for Myrtle Beach police, stated that Callahan's mother failed to file a report with police due to the nomadic nature of Grateful Dead fans. "She attempted to report it when he went missing but didn’t know which jurisdiction to report it to," he said. Callahan's family also stated that they presumed he had gone to "live on his own, elsewhere."

After initial tests proved inconclusive, additional DNA testing confirmed that the body was indeed that of Jason Callahan

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:43 pm 

That sounds like a rather sad story, that his family seemed to care so little for his whereabouts that they did not report him missing, even after twenty years when he failed to keep in touch with him. I can only wonder if there was something really messed up with his home life.

I remember hearing a really creepy story about this abandoned town in Alaska, from a couple buddies who worked in a cannery up by Juneau. Apparently there was this town about 100 miles south of Anchorage that was a fish processing/cannery town, called Portlock
back in the 1930's , 40's and 1950s. Over the course of several years, there were dozens of dissappearances and unsolved murders that took place there, and the town wasn't that big; only a few hundred residents. Then, mutilated and maimed bodies started turning up in the nearby woods and streams, with arms and legs ripped off, bodies totally bludgeoned and dismembered. It looked like the work of a deranged serial killer, but nobody was ever apprehended. Then the locals started getting really superstitious, and there were claims of supernatural involvement- a violent bigfoot-type creature was supposably terrorizing the area. Eventually, due to the unsolved murders and increasing disappearances and deaths, people started leaving the area in droves, and it is totally abandoned today.
While it is most likely that the Portlock murders were caused either by a serial killer, or possibly a series of bear attacks, the tales of the Bigfoot-type sightings and involvement, the fact that no killer was ever caught, and the fact that the place is totally abandoned today, makes it seem extra creepy.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:54 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
That sounds like a rather sad story, that his family seemed to care so little for his whereabouts that they did not report him missing, even after twenty years when he failed to keep in touch with him. I can only wonder if there was something really messed up with his home life.

I remember hearing a really creepy story about this abandoned town in Alaska, from a couple buddies who worked in a cannery up by Juneau. Apparently there was this town about 100 miles south of Anchorage that was a fish processing/cannery town, called Portlock
back in the 1930's , 40's and 1950s. Over the course of several years, there were dozens of dissappearances and unsolved murders that took place there, and the town wasn't that big; only a few hundred residents. Then, mutilated and maimed bodies started turning up in the nearby woods and streams, with arms and legs ripped off, bodies totally bludgeoned and dismembered. It looked like the work of a deranged serial killer, but nobody was ever apprehended. Then the locals started getting really superstitious, and there were claims of supernatural involvement- a violent bigfoot-type creature was supposably terrorizing the area. Eventually, due to the unsolved murders and increasing disappearances and deaths, people started leaving the area in droves, and it is totally abandoned today.
While it is most likely that the Portlock murders were caused either by a serial killer, or possibly a series of bear attacks, the tales of the Bigfoot-type sightings and involvement, the fact that no killer was ever caught, and the fact that the place is totally abandoned today, makes it seem extra creepy.
That's a really interesting case. I have read about it previously. I guess in a case like that, since anyone like a witness or family members are gone, that means its a unsolvable case cold case. Everyone who could be interviewed has long moved out of the area. I found a quote about the case "A logger was out working and something or someone hit him over the head with a huge piece of logging equipment, something that one man couldn't have lifted. When they found his body, there was blood on the equipment and there was no way that one person could have done it. He was a good ten feet from the logging equipment, so it's not like he slipped, fell, and hit his head. It looked more like someone picked it up and bonked him over the head." There were legends of a Yeti type creature. Its really a interesting case from the early 1900s.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:53 pm 

https://scientificmirror.com/wp-content ... -hand.webp

At least interesting. What do you guys think?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:01 pm 

I don't think too much of that photograph without knowing more about it, specifically; what date was it taken?

Prior to a certain date; I believe some time in the late 1800s or even later (I would have to look up the exact date) film had to be developed on the spot, over five to ten minutes of exposure time. They couldn't just snap a photo that instantly prints to a film negative, and then go develop it later. So this meant that the subjects of a photograph had to remain perfectly still during the several minutes of time that the film took to develop. So, if one of the people in the photo re-positioned their hand during the film exposure, say, they unfolded their arms and placed a hand on the person in front of them, the film might potentially show their hand in both places.

Look at the left arm of the girl on the right, middle row back- the hand and forearm is blurred out, but the top sleeve of her blouse is consistent with her placing her left hand on the girl in front of her. I would assume that she moved her left arm as the film plate was being developed so it is really more of a "double exposure" thing (due to the photography process at the time) than a true paranormal photograph.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:10 am 

Sir you could very well be correct. I did some digging and turns out the photo was definitely shot between the turn of the century 1900 to 1908 or so but certainly in that frame of time.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:09 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
Love ReignBot. I wish she covered more than just... for lack of a better term, *dark internet memes*. It gets a bit old following every obviously fake Twitter/YouTube ARG in existence, and in a way she admits as such.

But her content does scratch a particular itch. I've watched a handful of similar channels and her style/input is by far more satisfying than any other popular creators.

Her content right now seem to have gotten better now than in the previous month's. The "Stories From Our Disturbing World"
Series is pretty good and the length of the videos is satisfying.
But yeah some videos such as the dear David, cursed images and that video she did on a horror Netflix show are sort of unsubstantial.

Anyway, some unsolved mysteries I've been looking into recently is the Lars Mittank disappearance. It's also good that there is an entire Facebook page dedicated into finding him that is still active to this day. Seems like he fought with real mafiosi.

megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:19 pm 

Unity wrote:
I guess my favourite unsolved mystery has always been the Bélmez Faces. Scared me shitless when I was a kid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9lmez_Faces

I also like to read about Spring-Heeled Jack:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring-heeled_Jack

And also Borley Rectory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borley_Rectory

I'm pretty sure the Eddie on the first two Iron Maiden album covers was based on Springheeled Jack. Those covers show Notting Hill, London. Jack's early appearances were in London too, 1837 I think.

Last edited by megadeth93 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:21 pm 

1 The Beaumont Children disappearance (Australia, 1965).

2 Wanda Beach killings (Australia, 1966).

3 Jack the Stripper case aka Hammersmith Nude Murders, West London, 1964-65.

4 Bible John case, Scotland, 1968-69.

5 Black Dahlia Murder.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:20 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
https://scientificmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/30..-Ghostly-hand.webp

At least interesting. What do you guys think?
Unfortunately so many have been discredited, that if there ever was a real one it would never be believed. In this example I would say just a photoshop edit.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:30 pm 

I've done more research on the photography subject and I do now think it is a hoax of some kind.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:25 pm 

One of the Zodiac killer's ciphers was recently decoded:

https://hypebeast.com/2020/12/zodiac-killer-cypher-51-years-decrypted-news

There are two more left.

EricJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:03 pm 

I'm sure it's already been covered, but Jon Benet Ramsey is back in the news (sort of...a new TV special came out).

The last thing I remember was some guy in South Africa (?) confessing to it 10-15 years ago and it turned out to be BS.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next