* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:09 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I wasn't, because I actually started work again! :(

Good thing you got it for me. <3 But.... how dare you play before I did. Even for two minutes before they shut down the server they had mistakenly left open. You haven't even played Dark Souls 1 despite my constant harassing and now you get to play a bit of 2 before me? You played Demon's Souls once and never again, whereas I have hundreds of hours in both games! Not faiiiiiiir *flips table*

Spoiler: show
Thanks for the code... :) :grumble:

I think I've played like 1000 hours in both games combined, but no beta for me :cry: :panda: :violin:

roibert88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:35 pm 

anyone played the new Battlefield 4 beta?
its awesome.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 pm 

yentass wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:
And a quick question. I gave myself an extra estus flask by giving the mute girl an item I found in the church but it still only gives me 5 yet it says +1 next to it in small letters. What does this mean?

It means that your Estus would replenish incrementally bigger chunks of your health (i.e. "+1" indicates the "level" of your flasks, not their amount). Also, an answer for a question you didn't ask yet - kindled bonfires give you more flasks.

Thanks that makes sense. I looked up kindling and I understand that now. Currently around the valley of the drakes. I love how the drakes just keep jumping off the cliff or even through the wall killing themselves. :lol:

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:27 pm 

How long does it take for a game to be available from PSN once it hits its release date? Assuming it's the same day as retail, I'm talking hours here. The UK release of Dragon's Crown is technically 4 hours from now, but I've a feeling I won't be hackin' nor slashin' until at least after work tomorrow. Won't stop me from checking the store shortly after midnight anyway. :p

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:38 pm 

Comics? In my Dark Souls 2?

...It's more likely than you think.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:39 pm 

satanic_neumann wrote:
Foulchrist wrote:
What's everyone's stance on downloading full console games vs buying retail disc? I keep getting tempted to purchase something from PSN purely out of impatience, then I remember I'd be waiting for hours for it to download/install anyway. No reduction in price doesn't help its case either. I'm not convinced... would rather buy and own the physical copy (for cheaper, too). Still, temptation arises every so often, usually late at night when I have the urge to try a new game.

Nowadays I have pretty mixed feelings. Used be somewhat a collector and digital purchases was repulsive thought for me. During recent years, I have lost most materialistic lust so if a game is cheaper as digital, thats the way to go. Of course there are few franchises which are mandatory to have as physical, but they are few.

Only problem with PS3 is that I have 40GB model so its impossible to buy and install more than a few games. Usually PSN prices for new games are atrocious, buying physical copies just saves money. I hope this will change during next generation, more free space and lower prices.
Steam is another thing, prices are just too nice for not to support. So as for PC gaming, its 99% digital.

Both ends have their benefits but practical use wins for me.

You can buy a larger hard drive and install it in your PS3 quite easily.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:45 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
How long does it take for a game to be available from PSN once it hits its release date? Assuming it's the same day as retail, I'm talking hours here. The UK release of Dragon's Crown is technically 4 hours from now, but I've a feeling I won't be hackin' nor slashin' until at least after work tomorrow. Won't stop me from checking the store shortly after midnight anyway. :p

Sorry to say, as far as I know the PS Store only updates once a week (apparently on Wednesdays in Europe), so you may be out of luck there. You could still check, maybe some retail games do get simultaneous release... but I wouldn't really keep my hopes up for a digital version before next week.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:55 pm 

Ah fuck it, physical copy it is then. Been looking forward to this one for a while.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:33 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
I saw some pervert online running around with a girl in a bikini. :boring: :lol: That's not badass.

You mean like this?

:P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:15 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Anyone who isn't a fan of the abomination that is Thief 4

Here, just for you:

I'm so sorry. Hey, at least it's not a F2P online deathmatch game!

Quote:
should check out The Dark Mod, which is an free and open-source stealth game heavily derived from Thief 1 and 2. It went standalone a couple days ago so you don't need Doom 3.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

Any controller support?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:10 pm 

I love how stealth characters in fiction always wear the most conspicuous "Hey look! I'm a ninja!" outfits imaginable. That Thief fellow doesn't stand out in Victorian society at all... :roll:

*Steps back into the shadows, most likely never to post in this thread again.*

Edit: And that point was already mentioned in the picture. :durr:

Last edited by VoidApostle on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:15 pm 

TDM doesn't have controller support, other than those joystick-to-keyboard input converter programs. Sucks, because analog sticks would be great for the game. More control over speed which helps with creeping around the environment and immersion (and damn, Thief is incredibly immersive, amazing atmosphere).

Saw that picture on GAF; truly horrifying. I can't believe this is coming out of the same studio that made Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Yeah, I know DX:HR had it's share of problems with modernization, but it still managed to be a decent successor to the original game. New Thief is just... :puke:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:32 pm 

That Thief thing really made me cry. Holy shit, way to run a series into the ground without even showing my anything from it.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:02 am 

Morrigan wrote:
You mean like this?

:P

Hah hah. That's angelic looking though. She's a mage so I had her with the harpy cape and some greek goddess looking outfit. She originally had a white top but the silver armor (I think that's the top in that pic) offered way better defense.

Now she's full on mage in robes and this talk is making me wanna play Dragon's Dogma again :P

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:46 am 

A dev at Insomniac discovers an inconvenient side to the Xbox One's voice controls...

:lol:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:44 am 

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:30 am 

Hahaha at that thief picture, I've never played the first games (they're on my steam list after I finish Deus Ex, probably under Fallout 1/2 and the Half-Lifes), but damn, that looks like they're TRYING to make the most shallow, uninteresting game possible. I honestly spat on my phone with laughter when they talked up QTE's

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:06 am 

Things aren't looking good for it. What I want to know is why the hell Garrett needs motion capture? Cue an unhealthy amount of cutscenes and 3rd person segments? I keep hearing this is why Russel wasn't up for doing the voice again and this new person is just terrible. He's obviously trying to go for the same thing Russel did, but completely misses that mysterious cynical tone.

Garrett looking like an anorexic ninja aside, the art direction looks good. I can give it that. But yeah. Takedowns sucked in Deus Ex HR and I got used to the 3rd person stuff, but never loved it either. But Deus Ex has guns and such so it's a little different... but here, that stuff is completely and utterly unnecessary and going to break the immersion so much it's crazy.

Something about that gif Adriankat posted cracks me up so much, like there should be fireworks and discoballs exploding out while Garrett does that hilariously epic backwards moonwalking dance.

I'm going to cry if it fails to be as good as Dishonored. Not to dog on Dishonored, but Thief should be the king when it comes to this stuff. Hell this probably won't even top the Riddick games.

Anyways, for you guys who haven't played the others... I played all three for the first time last year myself, and they just blew me away. They've aged damn well and I couldn't believe how dense they were. As much as I love Deus Ex, I want to say that I sunk into Thief's world even more. Hell I barely even like pure stealth games to be honest, but Thief was completely different. You are a fragile, human being, with no real weapons or combat skills, and all games made that so. Garrett isn't a fighter and so you don't want to get caught. The point is, you were never there. But the series wasn't all about the stealing either. There was a ton of weird mythos to the games, really crazy plot twists (the villain in 2 is up there with SHODAN for me), some levels just had you exploring haunted mansions or crazy underground temples, etc, and yeah I was just blown away by how thick and dark the world was. The composer was also amazing and struck this weird balance of good, melodic ambiance. Something that I've pretty much never heard elsewhere. One of my favorites from Deadly Shadows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IfttUuCac0

Garrett thanks to Russel's perfect performance, is probably the most believable anti-hero I've ever heard in a game. Just can't praise it enough how much I loved Garrett's little lines here and there, so cynical yet so elegant and graceful.

To think this stuff (along with SS2 and such) came out around Half-Life's time is kind of funny to think about, because Thief completely blows it out of the water. But I think most FPS's back then do now, lol. Thief, SS2, Deus Ex, and Unreal are the kings for me. But yeah, I seriously think I'd argue out of these games, the Thief series had the best atmosphere.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:07 pm 

New game from Frictional (Penumbra/Amnesia devs) revealed: SOMA, a sci-fi horror game for PC/PS4.

Looking good.

Quote:
So what exactly is SOMA? Briefly stated it is a sci-fi horror game played from a first person perspective. You are not a space marine though, but a normal, and very exposed, person trapped in a nightmarish world. SOMA is a game about exploration, survival and immersing you inside an interactive narrative.

[...]

SOMA is meant to be a proper sci-fi game, and to get that right we couldn’t let the themes be an afterthought. My favorite works of sci-fi are the ones that use fantastic worlds to probe important issues in a way that down-to-earth settings just cannot. Great sci-fi authors like Asimov, Dick and Heinlein all do this. We want to give SOMA this quality as well.

The subject that SOMA will discuss is consciousness. Personally, I find it the most profound questions that it is possible to ask. “How can the feeling of subjective experience arise from a chunk of flesh?” Exploring this further takes us to questions such as “Can machines be conscious?” and “Do we have free will?” It quickly gets very disturbing and is ideal for a futuristic horror setting. It is the kind of sci-fi that we want to make.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/ ... k-descent/

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:53 pm 

SOMA sounds like an internet surveillance bill. "We gotta stop SOMA!!"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:53 pm 

New Cosmic Star Heroine screenshot:

Do want!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:47 pm 

SaGa Frontier. One of the best PS1 RPGs ever?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:53 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
SaGa Frontier. One of tThe best worst PS1 RPGs ever?

:nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MrMetalinasuit1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:12 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
SOMA sounds like an internet surveillance bill. "We gotta stop SOMA!!"

Security of Online Marketplace Activity? It could be spun as stopping piracy to protect online retailer market stability thing. Anyway, a game I'm really looking forward to is the Sims 4. Just to see what kind of things can be done with mods like unlocking the sliders to give sims freaking giraffe necks or a drug dealer career path. The internet is nuts.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:19 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
New game from Frictional (Penumbra/Amnesia devs) revealed: SOMA, a sci-fi horror game for PC/PS4.

Like I needed an incentive to ditch the new Xbox.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:59 pm 

I'm not sure I like the new wakeboarding thing in Audiosurf 2 and Mono Turbo mode is absolutely fucking mental, but I do like the idea of community created mods. At the moment I don't prefer it over the original, but the game is 'early access' which I'm guessing means it's still in it's Alpha stages. There's new content/fixes seemingly every day at the moment so it's at least interesting to see how it progresses.

Unsurprisingly I've got the top scores on almost all the songs I played, but I did pick songs by Protector and Arghoslent...

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:09 pm 

So I found out that this new Pokemon is out tomorrow just this afternoon and I decided, eh what the hell I'll get it. Looks interesting and I have a 3DS so why not, I'm interested to see how the 3D functionality is implemented.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:03 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Do want!

Looks like some old school awesomeness :thumbsup:

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:00 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
So I found out that this new Pokemon is out tomorrow just this afternoon and I decided, eh what the hell I'll get it. Looks interesting and I have a 3DS so why not, I'm interested to see how the 3D functionality is implemented.

It's OK, You don't have to pretend you weren't hyped for most of this year. I'll be picking it up on Monday if there are still any copies left.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:36 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
SaGa Frontier. One of tThe best worst PS1 RPGs ever?

:nods:

I made that post especially for you, anticipating this response.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:41 pm 

So I finally got through the first Silent Hill. My previous save was at the Cafe... so I literally didn't even really get anywhere, haha. Beat it in two days this time. Definitely hooked and going to play all of them I guess, since they just sound completely hit or miss after the first three, just going to give them all a shot myself... but I'm definitely excited about those the most.

I did get up to the first Pyramid Head encounter in SH2 though, thinking you had to defeat him to progress, when you're supposed to run away I think. So yeah... but the spark is a lot stronger this time around so I'm really looking forward to playing it again and will push through.

Pretty sure there's some big fans here? I got the bad ending in the first but looked up the other one.
Not even sure where to begin, lol. Kind of felt like both Harry and Cheryl died and he couldn't let go or something. Curious to hear some theories on the whole thing.

Really didn't care all that much for some of the silly magical stuff later on, but oh well. I had seen the movie prior so I guess it wasn't totally shocking. But I felt like it almost did try to explain a little more than necessary, at least in some regards. What the hell the Otherworld is, what the enemies represented, and stuff like that is still pretty crazy and up in the air. Love stuff like that.

Controls aside I was pretty impressed with how well it's aged too. Good sound design, some neat tricks messing with your mind if you pay attention, and the lighting was a nice touch that worked out pretty well actually. Combat wasn't super fun or too annoying and I see people complain about this in some of the others, but I figure that's not why I'm playing these games at all anyways. lol

On another hand, literally, near the end of God Hand.

Also found this really good review of Vanquish, the best 3rd person shooter this gen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=ZznD8LWRdFQ

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:44 pm 

Ugh, Vanquish. Tried the demo, was severely bored and forgot about it. After seeing it fellated on GAF I gave it a shot when it was free on PS+... nope, still bored. And the dialogue and voice acting is obnoxious as hell. Uninstalled that pretty fast.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:57 am 

Did you watch that video? The demo hardly did it justice. And if you're going into Platinum Games looking for plot, WRRRRRRRONG. Both Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising have some of the funniest fucking endings I've ever seen, Rising has hands down one of the best final bosses ever. Period. Get your fun checked if you don't dig this stuff.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:18 am 

Playing through the OG Silent Hill for the first time right now myself. It's nice so far, quite creepy but understandably a bit stilted. Playing it on hard mode, and have definitely been meeting my share of deaths due to the wooden control scheme and the surprising vulnerability of your defenses. Most of the enemies in the game are just as fast or faster than you, which definitely ramps up the paranoia factor. Good stuff, though... I welcome this experience as a mild baptism into the difficulties I'll eventually face in Dark Souls :thumbsup:

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:57 am 

Morrigan wrote:

*screenshot*

Fine, I'll buy what you're peddling! Are the two older games (Cthulhu and Breath of Death) worth looking into?

Xeogred wrote:
Did you watch that video? The demo hardly did it justice. And if you're going into Platinum Games looking for plot, WRRRRRRRONG. Both Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising have some of the funniest fucking endings I've ever seen, Rising has hands down one of the best final bosses ever. Period. Get your fun checked if you don't dig this stuff.

I watched it and wasn't really sold. Seems like a lot of the big bossfight action was scripted stuff though I might be wrong as I'm not terribly familiar or fond of these kinds of games.

MrMetalinasuit1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:01 am 

Hell yes Cthuhlu and Breath of Death are worth looking into. Funny wee jrpg parody games that don't sacrifice game play for the sake of the joke.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:06 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
It's OK, You don't have to pretend you weren't hyped for most of this year. I'll be picking it up on Monday if there are still any copies left.

Oh trust me if I was hyped for it I would have let you know, I haven't played and passed a Pokemon game since Silver all those years back. I remember the generation that came after that for the GBA I played it for a bit and just felt underwhelmed. I loved Silver/Gold and it was just such a let down and I hadn't played a Pokemon game since, besides replaying Silver multiple times. That gen Pokemon game was just the best, did you ever play the remakes for Gold/Silver, if so are they any good? and by that I mean do they capture the brilliance of that era.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:09 pm 

I wonder for how long they will be able to milk the Pokemon franchise

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:16 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

You know what? The Wonderful 101 actually has a decent plot. I never thought I would say that about something Platinum Games has made. And I love a lot of their output.

The new Pokemon game is pretty awesome from what I've played. Got it this morning. They've done a few things to make things quicker/more streamlined but the depth is still retained if you want to play it that way.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:57 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
I watched it and wasn't really sold. Seems like a lot of the big bossfight action was scripted stuff though I might be wrong as I'm not terribly familiar or fond of these kinds of games.

Noooooooooooooooooo. 200% wrong.

I see Vanquish as the true successor to Lost Planet basically. It's 3D Contra. Huge enemies with weak orange spots. Shoot those 1000 times while not dying and frantically trying to keep up with your weapons and ammo. All those scripted DBZ QTE's are very infrequent... maybe not even a dozen of them in the game or I didn't even know how to trigger half of them. The boss in the demo when you do flips and throw a missile back in its nose? I never saw that happen again fighting those things. Later on you fight two at once which was hilarious. There's no WIN button in this one.

Anyways I hate Gears of War and the likes. Sue me for liking a 3rd person shooter that isn't all about taking turns behind cover and peaking for pop shots!

Also replayed RE5 and enjoyed it, so you can double sue me for loving tank controls! Probably why I like Dead Space so much too. I love that heaviness and the lack of covering.

On the other hand RE Revelations isn't doing anything for me. Up to chapter 5 or something and yikes. I've played as like 6 characters already I think? The thought of putting this under RE5 blows my mind, but I guess RE5 isn't so bad after all. Still a huge downgrade from RE4 to me though. It's really fun. It would just be even more fun if the boss battles didn't suck and I didn't have to manage horrible friendly AI.

I'm already past the apartments in Silent Hill 2. Really digging it this time around. Also threw in Fatal Frame and I never beat 2 or even played 3, maybe I can remedy that after getting through the Silent Hill's.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 523, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529 ... 940  Next