* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:32 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
I've achieved some good shoulder development indirectly.
Spoiler: show
you gotta work on your shakes/steadycam bro :P all your pics are so blurry, no need for a square on the face at this rate :P
just think how much more defined you'll look, instead of a blurry bulkiness :)

Definitely got a first generation iPhone in a prison quality to it.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:40 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Definitely got a first generation iPhone in a prison quality to it.

even Brazilian prison stabbings are filmed in higher def.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:38 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
I would definitely avoid the smith machine. I'd recommend doing 5x5s of standing overhead press in the power rack for the big compound movement. Just be careful with form. Another one I really like doing as the main shoulder lift with a barbell is behind the neck, still a nice compound movement, but with a greater emphasis on the rear delts and hits the traps more. I'd only do this with a spotter, though.

For accessory lifts, the lateral raises are great for building the side of your shoulder (there's a machine that's also great for this but I forget what it's called). The front raise is also good for anterior delts, but make sure to do them for high reps (same with the lateral raises). For rear delts, rear delt flys with dumbells are good, but my personal favourite is face pulls - they're really fun. However, the best thing I ever did to develop big rear delts was work at a fence company, haha.

If you're doing stuff like standard bench press and incline bench, you're going to be hitting your shoulders, too (but mostly anterior delts).

Face pulls are very dangerous and can easily damage the joints, same with the behind the neck military press. Those are both notoriously risky. The shoulder joint is very fragile if you perform something at the wrong angle, and it is easy to accidentally do this on certain exercises.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:43 am 

Heh, I'm the one who got him onto it. When done right, and safely, they're absolutely amazing shoulder exercises. It's good to be cautious, of course, but not to the point of being too cautious. There's an inherent risk to any gym activity - after all, you are working with heavy weights and equipment for the purpose of manipulating your body. Be cognizant of the risks, but don't let that limit your abilities.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:46 pm 

Are you confusing face pulls with upright rows? Face pulls mostly hit your rear delt, I've only ever done them a couple times, but they seem ok. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/face-pull The way this guy does them in the video looks a little weird though, don't think you need to pull your arms so far up like that. Behind the back barbell press is something I don't mess with, I will do behind the back pull downs with lighter weight sometimes for a good stretch/flex in the upper back and traps.

Don't really know why you guys hate on the smith machine so much for shoulder presses, don't use it all the time, but it's good for going super heavy. I almost always use dumbbells or the machine that simulates dumbells, but I tried out the heavy smith press recently and it worked pretty well. Past few months I have been doing some shoulders, especially rear delts, on back day mostly, but now I'm starting to do them on lighter/cardio day instead.

edit: Actually I think the "Face pull" I've done is more like this, a little less severe looking: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/cable-rope-rear-delt-rows Basically just a really really high row

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:03 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Are you confusing face pulls with upright rows?

You're right, I've always heard upright rows called face pulls. That's the issue here.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:56 pm 

Latest progress pics, pre-workout. I didn't take any afterwards, unfortunately.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:54 am 

Derigin wrote:
Heh, I'm the one who got him onto it. When done right, and safely, they're absolutely amazing shoulder exercises. It's good to be cautious, of course, but not to the point of being too cautious. There's an inherent risk to any gym activity

yea, I've heard people say the same shit about dips, too.

I find myself posting this quite often when people have a fearful whinge about shoulders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ocJSrHou4M

perfect example of why gym guys hurt their shoulders doing things that are trivial for a gymnast--it's not because shoulders themselves are a problem (shoulders and hips have the biggest potential ROM of the entire body)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:01 am 

Derigin wrote:

Need to bring your arms up, but you are looking decidedly leaner.

Last.fm

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:16 pm 

Erotetic wrote:

yea, I've heard people say the same shit about dips, too.

dips are horrible, don't do them, ever. Skull crushers, close grip bench, rope pull downs and variations of these are really all you need.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:18 pm 

Are you mad? Dips are great, and far less risky than some of the other exercises we are talking about.

Last.fm

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:25 pm 

I might be mad, but I've heard of too many people forking up their shoulders from dips and I had rotator cuff scare after doing them in the past. Yeah they work great, but I have awesome triceps and I never do them anymore!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:45 pm 

Pics of awesome triceps?

My biggest mistake was not focusing on tricep exercises that give you a deep stretch, like behind-the-neck dumbbell extension and close grip bench press (although I refuse to bench). My tricep is really developed on the outer head, but not the head that is on the inside of your arm, and as a result responsible for having thick looking arms from the side.

Last.fm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:54 pm 

Derigin wrote:

The final word in sculpted air guitaring.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:08 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Pics of awesome triceps?

My biggest mistake was not focusing on tricep exercises that give you a deep stretch, like behind-the-neck dumbbell extension and close grip bench press (although I refuse to bench). My tricep is really developed on the outer head, but not the head that is on the inside of your arm, and as a result responsible for having thick looking arms from the side.

Stop it, yer gonna make me blush! Well I don't have any pics currently, and I'm not sure how comfortable I am taking pics of myself at the gym :boo: and also posting them online, but it could happen.

I generally do triceps with chest, I only bench dumbbells (lately) but I do skull crushers with an EZ bar which I then pump out as many close grip bench presses as I can after each set. I mix in cable stuff and pull overs with every workout as well. It's only been about 6 months of going to the gym 5-7 days a week and I feel like I have a lot of progress to make still. I'm about 5'9"-10" 190 lbs. You'll have to use your imagination for now :gay:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:07 pm 

I would say skullcrushers are the best tricep exercise but my gym's EZ curls are pre-loaded and only go up to 60.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:16 pm 

That's utterly lame.

Skullcrushers are one of my favorite exercises; pullovers are great too. Cable kickbacks are also sweet for triceps.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

capeda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:11 pm 

Just echoing that face pulls are a great exercise. One of the only exercises that hits my rear delts in a meaningful way. Light weight, high reps are the way to go.

Upright rows I'm against. I'm pretty sure I did permanent damage to my wrists doing that shit. It's just not a natural motion for your body... in my opinion, of course.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:51 pm 

Those cable kick backs look nice, gonna have to add those to my routines. How can a gym only have up to 60 pound curl bars? That's not even warm-up weight. I used to do skull crushes with a straight barbell when it was all I had, no ideal, but better than nothing.

I'm trying to amp up my back routine even though I already hit it just as hard as legs. Do you guys think doing dumbbell rows, T bar rows, and bent over rows (standard barbell) all in the same workout is too much overlapping of the same kind of movement? I generally just do something like dumbbell OR barbell row, pull ups, seated cable rows, wide behind the back lat pull downs (we have a great machines for this with 2 handles instead of a straight bar) Also usually do rear delts and cable pull overs on back day, sometimes chest day as well. With all this I still feel like I'm missing something?

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:06 pm 

I got a fitbit because maybe it will motivate me to actually keep track of jogging and shit like that. I have weights and a stationary bike in the house though, because I hate going to gyms. When I was exercising more I mainly ran, though. That was nice because I could eat like a horse and not gain weight.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:29 am 

Cardio helps, but it won't keep you lean by itself. You can run 3 miles, come home and eat one or two cookies and all of that cancelled out.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:31 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Do you guys think doing dumbbell rows, T bar rows, and bent over rows (standard barbell) all in the same workout is too much overlapping of the same kind of movement?

Yes. Maybe rotate them from workout to workout, but stick to one or two rowing exercises, and then some sort of pulldown and/or pullup.

Last.fm

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:04 pm 

Yeah, I did T bar, wide pull ups, DB rows, close pull downs and wide seated rows last night. Was a little to tired to do bent over rows at that point :) but I did some face pulls, just like this guy here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSoHeSjvIdY and they felt amazing!

Side note: What is the best way to keep the base of the T bar from swinging up and uhh destroying your balls when you have lots of plates on it? I use a free bar and we don't have a good place to anchor it so I just end up throwing a plate on top of the base of the bar, but it's very sketchy.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:03 pm 

No idea. My gym doesn't have free barbells or a T-bar setup.

I did back/bicep/shoulders today. Did heavy close grip pulldowns and then rows later on. Works fine for me.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:21 pm 

I'm starting to wonder what your gym actually has, no free barbells? That's crazy! I looked super ripped last night afterwards, I thought about taking a pic just for you :wink: but there were too many bros around, plus my self pictures always turn out terrible.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:06 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Cardio helps, but it won't keep you lean by itself. You can run 3 miles, come home and eat one or two cookies and all of that cancelled out.

It's more practical for people to cut their calorie intake, but I lost about 40 lbs in college through cardio alone, while eating all the time. I ran, swam, and walked A LOT, though; like I would walk/jog to Walmart for groceries and carry them back, 8 mile round trip, just because I was nuts. Hours of cardio per day though.

I gained some weight from being sick and prednisone after college, losing it by not drinking so much Pepsi and not eating so much, moreso than ten hours a day of exercise. Nobody's got time for that.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:27 pm 

I'm returning to the gym this weekend. After two months I am no longer crushed from my new job every day and it's no longer sufficient as an exercise by itself. It did improve my arms, back, glutes, hamstrings - the muscles I use at work (warehouse), but after getting used to it I gotta do something more serious on the side.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:48 am 

Nick Jonas jumped on the juice. Diabetic too. Real intelligent.

Last.fm

Haddock666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:17 pm 

I haven't done any work out in a while, been officially homeless about 2 months. Luckily new apartment coming in few weeks and can start work out again.

Pedophile SS. Improvised noisecore
http://pedophiless.bandcamp.com/

Catholic Bastards. Hardcore/crust punk
http://catholicbastards.bandcamp.com/

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:43 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Nick Jonas jumped on the juice. Diabetic too. Real intelligent.

Looks like a douchebag. Onwards to Level 2: Carrot Top.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:53 am 

He most certainly doesn't skip leg day.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:53 am 

image doesn't load for me

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:44 am 

Current back status. Shit image but you get the point

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:33 pm 

Started doing pullups today just to mix things up. My whole left side is lagging, especially the lat. Also the leanest I've been in months...

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:25 pm 

God, it has been goddamn forever since I've been to the gym. I definitely put on weight during my stint in the US and my first week back here, as I ate like shit (I wanted to get in all of that American/international food goodness while I was home, and my first week back here I was stuck in a hotel with no kitchen, dishes, fridge, etc. so had to eat out). It's actually less bad than I thought it was, though; my t-shirts were feeling pretty tight by the end of my time back home but then I remembered that I don't usually have a clothes dryer in Korea and remembered about clothes getting just a little bit tighter-fitting after coming out of the dryer. So now that I'm back in dryer-less land, I feel my clothes fit about the same as before, so not too much damage done I guess. Now just to find a decent gym and see what the damage is performance-wise.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:44 am 

Fuck, I've been so bad for the gym lately. Only gone once in the past week. The review challenge had consumed the bulk of my free time and I was too sick to go anyway. Can only go with Derigin on the weekends now because we have conflicting work schedules, and I have to say it's a lot easier to blow it off when another person isn't counting on you being there. Hopefully I'll get back into a good rhythm again in the new year, but not looking forward to the big wave of new years resolutioners crowding the place.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:22 pm 

Rest assured, come the new year I will be working your ass off. :evil:

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:28 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Started doing pullups today just to mix things up. My whole left side is lagging, especially the lat. Also the leanest I've been in months...

Today I hit a 5 rep PR on chinups with 110lbs. Pullups are probably my favourite movement. I just bust out sets on a doorframe at home whenever I'm bored.

My weight has been stalling since October despite seeing visible signs of leaning out almost weekly with new veins surfacing. Mind boggling.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:28 am 

VoidApostle wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

Today I hit a 5 rep PR on chinups with 110lbs. Pullups are probably my favourite movement. I just bust out sets on a doorframe at home whenever I'm bored.

sick. how's your front lever?

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:23 pm 

Come on man, that's like asking someone how their human flag is because they can bang out 50 crunches. :ugh:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 58  Next