Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:30 am 

Freddy vs Jason had it's moments like that Jason Mewes rip-off character and Jason Voorhees being his total badass self but it was by no means great or good. Kelly Rowland was genuinely a bad character and she's in half of the movie (even the actors thought her dialogue was atrocious), the soundtrack is really dated metalcore and nu-metal and totally laughable in the film, Freddy was his stand-up comedian alter-ego and delivered terrible one liners throughout, and the big one
Spoiler: show
NO DECISIVE ENDING, which is hard to shrug off given the title of the film. Bit of a massive cop-out.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:11 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I shat out a bloated mess of a post back on page 435 trying to justify my lack of enthusiasm for The Avengers, but maybe it all comes down to having liked Iron Man 1 so much. If I hadn't seen any of the standalone movies, maybe I would have liked The Avengers more.

Still, I acknowledge that Iron Man and Thor in the same universe isn't nearly as ridiculous as Batman and Superman in the same universe.

Final hypocrisy admission, since everything I'm writing today is a rehash anyway. Despite my stated opposition to franchise mixing, I like Freddy Vs. Jason. :o

You need to read "Dark Knight returns". Superman is sucked into the neo-con rah-rah 'MURICA-uber-alles deal while Batman has gotten more and more bitter/jaded and inclined to kill people out of hand as his latent vigilante psychosis gets out of control. They end up pretty much destroying each other as symbols of the 2 ugly extremes of America in the 80's (when it was written)

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:23 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Freddy vs Jason had it's moments like that Jason Mewes rip-off character and Jason Voorhees being his total badass self but it was by no means great or good. Kelly Rowland was genuinely a bad character and she's in half of the movie (even the actors thought her dialogue was atrocious), the soundtrack is really dated metalcore and nu-metal and totally laughable in the film, Freddy was his stand-up comedian alter-ego and delivered terrible one liners throughout, and the big one
NO DECISIVE ENDING, which is hard to shrug off given the title of the film. Bit of a massive cop-out.

It's a bad movie, but it's so much fun. Just a blast really. It's pretty dumb and over the top, but they put more effort into it than any of the other recent sequels of either franchise, and the whole thing cooks along pretty nicely.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:37 am 

Empyreal wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:

It's a bad movie, but it's so much fun. Just a blast really. It's pretty dumb and over the top, but they put more effort into it than any of the other recent sequels of either franchise, and the whole thing cooks along pretty nicely.

I actually credit the FvJ soundtrack with helping get me into extreme metal. :lol: But yes, the movie was really watchably bad.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:40 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I actually credit the FvJ soundtrack with helping get me into extreme metal. :lol: But yes, the movie was really watchably bad.

You could say...it's so bad, it's good.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:

Jason X was much more on the "so bad it's good" side of things than FvJ. FvJ I genuinely enjoyed as a movie, while Jason X was so unbelievably stupid that it was hilarious. It had a couple obviously self aware moments, like the holodeck scenes, but for the most part I view that movie as a great unknowing satire of slasher movies.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:46 pm 

I watched Alien and Aliens last night and the night before for obvious reasons. I hate to say it, but Aliens is pretty damn bad until the action starts. The marines are so irritating, and not just Bill Paxton. Hicks is the only one that's all right. On the other hand, when the action does start, it turns into a kickass movie. Overall, though, I think Alien is a much better movie. It's not as seat-grippingly intense, but it's more horrifying. In any case, they're both far better than Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, which were mostly wastes of time... mostly.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:54 pm 

Subrick wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Jason X was much more on the "so bad it's good" side of things than FvJ. FvJ I genuinely enjoyed as a movie, while Jason X was so unbelievably stupid that it was hilarious. It had a couple obviously self aware moments, like the holodeck scenes, but for the most part I view that movie as a great unknowing satire of slasher movies.

I think we had this discussion like six months ago, but Jason X isn't as good, funny, or "so bad it's good" as you think it is.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:04 pm 

Jason X is a piece of shit even in terms of the low bar set by the F13 franchise. Such a lame, bad film on every level, and not funny at all. I also don't really get how you'd call FvJ a "good" film on any scale ... I've watched that thing a fair few times since I was growing up and I like it, but c'mon, it's schlocky horror cinema to drink a beer to, nothing else.

Aliens I remember thinking it was a bit faceless - good action, but none of the characters really stuck out to me. Maybe if I saw it again that'd change. I really need to see Alien again. It's been a long, long time.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:09 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
I watched Alien and Aliens last night and the night before for obvious reasons. I hate to say it, but Aliens is pretty damn bad until the action starts. The marines are so irritating, and not just Bill Paxton. Hicks is the only one that's all right. On the other hand, when the action does start, it turns into a kickass movie. Overall, though, I think Alien is a much better movie. It's not as seat-grippingly intense, but it's more horrifying. In any case, they're both far better than Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, which were mostly wastes of time... mostly.

Alien completely owns Aliens. It's not even a contest, really. Not even all the action in the sequel was that good. It's pretty awesome on a production design/technical level, and Sigourney Weaver gave it her best, but in the end it can't hold a candle to its predecessor. I mean it's still worth a watch, just be prepared for weak moments, some scattered cheese, and lots of shrill child shrieking.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:24 pm 

Yeah I agree with that general consensus. Even as just an 80s sci-fi/action movie it's not the best, far behind stuff like Terminator 1/2, Total Recall, Robocop, and Predator.

Just watched Synecdoche, New York, Charlie Kaufman's most recent film, starring the late, great Philip Seymour Hoffman. Basically Kaufman did the Being John Malkovich thing and crawled through a tunnel in a desk and came out inside his own body and wrote a movie. It's Adaptation's meta-ness ramped up to 9001 and drenched in surrealism. It's a post-modern wet dream. I liked it.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:25 pm 

Trailer for "Deliver Us From Evil" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBxTF_DxN8k

Another installment into the canon of horror-franchise-generators, courtesy of the director from Sinister. Ghost/Haunting movies are my favorite type of horror by a MASSIVE margin, so I'm excited to see more of these get made. Even though they always go "It's a demon!" route, it's still nice to see the typical bedroom in a haunted house scene. Always chilling when executed properly. The fear is in what you don't know and in this CGI age they always fuck that up.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:51 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I never really liked the Raimi movies. The new ASM ones, both of them, are pretty much the Spider-Man I grew up with. Way better acting (which conveys the characters very well in the context of what a comic movie needs to be - it makes you feel for the characters, which gets you fully into the outrageous scenarios they're in) and the dynamic range from comedy to more serious stuff makes it feel more lively and organic.

Couldn't agree more. Even if everyone's whining about the loose plot I'd give the second installment of TASM 7/10 based on the two following things:

A more organic Green Goblin (I'm talking about Norman Osborn not Harry and I'm pretty sure his death was a hoax and he'll come back for the next one or the following Sinister Six movie).

The death of Gwen Stacy. It exceeded my expectations. Emma Stone did a fantastic portrayal. Salutations. ImageImage
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:51 am 

I saw a sneak preview of Godzilla tonight at the local drive-in. I won't spoil it for anyone, but this movie has my approval. I wasn't blown away by it, but it's a good film. There are some complaints I have with it, but I'll reserve them for now, until everyone's had a chance to see it. If I were to give it a rating, I'd say it's a 4/5.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:07 am 

I'm seeing it on Saturday in IMAX after I get back from Massachusetts. I'm hearing almost entirely positive things about it, so I hope the film won't let me down.

Also, drive ins and Godzilla are about as perfect a match as you can get.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:01 am 

I have just gotten back from seeing it.......I loved it, but honestly I can't help but love it since the filmmakers clearly knew me and the fan base and made this move for me.

OK. Godzilla is freaking awesome in this film. He is a behemoth of a beast and a force to be truly reckoned with. The new monsters are amazing too. They're design looks menacing yet they're biology and why they're doing what they're doing felt actually very believable. The story was also strong and truly did justice to the whole Nature against Man plotline that's been done before.

Sadly, the acting wasn't completly up to b par. Cranston is awesome, but not in it as much as needed. Watasabe is a little miss guided and dosn't give all he could for this film. Same with Scott-Taylor. As good as Edwards in in this, his shot himself in the foot sadly though as he thought less was more with Godzilla. He was wrong. Also, there's a number of easter eggs for the fans and almost all of them I loved, but one at the very end I felt went too far, and you'll see it when you watch it.

I will say though that I like the new background story, that Godzilla and the MUTOs are prehistoric creatures before even the Dinosaurs that lived off of Radiation. Also...

HIS NUCLEAR BREATH IS BACK AND IT WAS SO FUCKING GLORIOUS!

In the end, this wasn't the greatest Godzilla film made, but it felt damn good to know it was here. Between the failure that was the 98 film and the dissapointement of being left with Final Wars (sorry, but that film sucked), this felt so good.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:24 am 

Aurone wrote:
I will say though that I like the new background story, that Godzilla and the MUTOs are prehistoric creatures before even the Dinosaurs that lived off of Radiation. Also...

Did his fins glow??
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:41 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Did his fins glow??

HELL yes they do!

I also just got back from an advanced screening and, damn, the movie is simply awesome. It's definitely a slow burner and by about the halfway point I was kind of thinking to myself, "okay, enough with the build-up, can we just see some monster destruction now?" But shit, the second half really delivers on that end in a big way. You probably actually see more of the MUTO's than you do Godzilla, but one of the major highlights/surprises for me was how absolutely awesome they are. Definitely one of the coolest Godzilla enemies in the history of the series, and it was obvious they drew on some classic monsters for inspiration; I was specifically reminded of a kind of Gigan/Rodan hybrid.

Godzilla is an absolutely monolithic beast and I could have happily watched him just roaming around for the entire movie. His design is fantastic; basically a more agile and massive version of the familiar Toho monster. I found it cool that most of the monster scenes are shown from certain character perspectives, which is cool, but it sometimes means that battles are cut off just as they begin because that's when that certain character escapes. That only really bothered me in one instance though, but it was kind of a bummer because the set-up was pretty drawn out. Still, when fights do occur, it's absolute destruction. Godzilla is more vicious than ever, biting chunks out of his enemies and beating shit out of the air with his tail to die in the rubble of fallen skyscrapers. I almost forgot to expect the laser breath in the midst of the action but even that exceeded expectations. The laser breath decapitation scene even got general cheers from the audience.

Oh, and I have to disagree with Aurone on the story being good and believable - nope, this is the same old radioactive dinosaur shtick you're all too familiar with, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't even recall if the MUTO's were given a proper explanation... something about ancient beings who feed off radiation and wake up every few hundred or thousand years to breed. Yeah, you get the idea.

Last edited by Razakel on Fri May 16, 2014 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:42 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Aurone wrote:

Did his fins glow??

Yes.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:34 pm 

You motherfuckers just upped this movie even more for me. :)
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm 

Seeing it this weekend....oh my god so excited.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:34 pm 

It's off to a good start, 9.3 million on thursday preview and midnight screenings. All signs are pointing to a box office success which also points to sequels.

Also with Days of Future Past coming out next weekend, can we officially say that next weekend it's Godzilla vs the X-Men?

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:42 pm 

I saw Godzilla too. It was part awesome and sub-par; FAR from bad but mostly just ok. A good entry to the series anyways. I didn't care much for the characters, but the pacing, build-up and atmosphere helped make up for it. The Mutos were genuinley cool opponents, and Godzilla himself was just massive, not to mention he even had a noticable personality.
The ticket price is worth it alone to see how Godzilla finishes off the female Muto
. Not a great movie, but defenitely a good one.

Last edited by Metantoine on Sat May 17, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoilers are your friends...

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:23 am 

Just got back from Godzilla 3d and feel underwhelmed. Not huge spoilers, but
the first few fights were just teases, as they cut away when something big is about to happen. The end fight wasnt anything special to me either

I enjoyed Pacific Rim a lot more. The 3d in that was a lot better.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:12 am 

Saraband - 4/5

55 years after his film debut, Ingmar Bergman made his last movie - a sequel to Scenes of a Marriage, which I haven't actually seen. Whoops. I still got into this movie anyway though - a nostalgic drama about two families and the emotional turmoil between them. The acting is really well done and the characters actually feel real. They each have their own thing going on and the directing conveys their stories well - in a stark, naked fashion. Bergman didn't lose his touch here at all. The message overall is about family and the ways we accept one another even through the most difficult circumstances due to blood - it separates us from the animals. But in the end we also have to make choices for our own lives and all we can hope for is a good finish to our stories. I have to say though, I could have maybe done without the incest and the naked old people in this.

Just thought I'd break up the Godzilla talk before I see it myself later.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:36 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Just got back from Godzilla 3d and feel underwhelmed. Not huge spoilers, but
the first few fights were just teases, as they cut away when something big is about to happen. The end fight wasnt anything special to me either

I enjoyed Pacific Rim a lot more. The 3d in that was a lot better.

Yeah the 3D didn't really do much fir me this time around. Plus Pacific Rim had Rinko Kikuchi :love:
But Godzilla's just so freakin' cool! And considerate - he tries not to step on shit all the time, which is nice :) It's the other two interesting little (?) creatures that do most of the destruction.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:59 am 

Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 - I've now seen every installment in the TCM series, and this is probably one of the weaker ones, though still not as bad as part 4. It pretty much ignores TCM 2 and presents itself as a sequel to (or rehash of?) the original. IMDB says there's a 4 minute difference between the R rated and unrated versions, and I think I saw the R version because there were some potentially gory scenes that just seemed to end before Greg Nicotero and company could work their special effects magic. That might not have bothered me if I was really into the characters, but this movie wasn't great in that department either. It took longer than it should have for Ken Foree to enter the picture, and the husband / boyfriend guy was kind of annoying.

But if nothing else, TCM 3 taught me that chainsaws continue to work even underwater, which I would not have guessed.

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:58 pm 

Saw Godzilla last night. Could've been better, but I liked it well enough. Wilson from Cast Away had more charisma than the main character guy, and I kinda hated how much the camera just kinda cut away from the action in a bunch of places
like how in the first fight where Godzilla makes his main entrance on the crest of tsunami like a beast from Revelations ready to punish mankind for its sins, I was soooo fucking pumped to see Godzilla absolutely wreck shit, but no. Instead, the camera immediately cuts to a stupid kid watching TV while his stupid mom is in the background being stupid and we see tiny glimpses of that epic battle on the TV. Cocktease.

but when it actually does show the action toward the end it's fucking glorious.

Overall though, I think my biggest complaint is that the movie didn't have the same vibe that the Oppenheimer teaser trailer did. I was hoping to see a dark, horrifying portrayal of what it would actually be like if an unstoppable monster that breathes nuclear fire was awoken, causing unparalleled destruction and people dying by the millions. Instead, it really was closer in tone to the campy 50's movies, and I think if you go into the movie with this in mind you'll enjoy it a lot more.

That said, I'm probably just nitpicking here. The movie was awesome overall and you should go see it.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Last edited by PrinceRhaegar on Sat May 17, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:51 pm 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
like how in the first fight where Godzilla makes his main entrance on the crest of tsunami like a beast from Revelations ready to punish mankind for its sins, I was soooo fucking pumped to see Godzilla absolutely wreck shit, but no. Instead, the camera immediately cuts to a stupid kid watching TV while his stupid mom is in the background being stupid and we see tiny glimpses of that epic battle on the TV. Cocktease.

This was the only real problem I had as well. I was so ready for the first showdown after Godzilla's glorious entrance and I really can't for the life of me understand why they decided to cut away just as the fight was about to begin.

Let's start speculating about a sequel. I think it'd make sense if they brought back a classic kaiju enemy. Gidorah and Mothra seem like the most obvious choices to me, and the thought of seeing Gidorah in a new movie like this makes my bag tingle.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:59 pm 

Razakel wrote:
PrinceRhaegar wrote:

This was the only real problem I had as well. I was so ready for the first showdown after Godzilla's glorious entrance and I really can't for the life of me understand why they decided to cut away just as the fight was about to begin.

Let's start speculating about a sequel. I think it'd make sense if they brought back a classic kaiju enemy. Gidorah and Mothra seem like the most obvious choices to me, and the thought of seeing Gidorah in a new movie like this makes my bag tingle.

From reading this and not seeing it I would assume the cut scene was a budget choice? The wreckage easier to kinda portray cheaper over a child watching it via a TV while you watch that, then have a epic full scale wastage happen in massive detail?

The only realistic and possibly reason I would suggest for odd choices like being described, I wager this film cost it's max to make as it was presented, had to maybe make some rather cheaper choices to work it out (consider how bland the last attempt to launch this franchise was)

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:25 pm 

Actually, the reason you don't see Godzilla much is a simplier one. Edwards has flat out said that he wanted to go the Stephen Speilberg rout of less is more and building to the reveal. Spielberg did that in a lot of his best films, Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jurassic Park. And honest, you can see the influence on the film. The problem witht hat is that he goes too far, while not showing just Godzilla for a full 2 hours and going the destruction porn route is in my opninion a wise move, he also hurt the film by holding back too much.

If he had just dedicated a minimal of 5 to 10 more minutes of pure monster action, the film I feel would have been far more balanced. And who knows, maybe they have a bunch of footage and are gonna be bastards and pull the "Extended DVD" move with more fight scenes. At the very least, we might get a sequel which will hopefully up the action.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:19 pm 

Aurone wrote:
Actually, the reason you don't see Godzilla much is a simplier one. Edwards has flat out said that he wanted to go the Stephen Speilberg rout of less is more and building to the reveal. Spielberg did that in a lot of his best films, Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jurassic Park. And honest, you can see the influence on the film. The problem witht hat is that he goes too far, while not showing just Godzilla for a full 2 hours and going the destruction porn route is in my opninion a wise move, he also hurt the film by holding back too much.

Jurassic Park is definitely not an example of the "less is more" approach, but yes, the other ones are good examples. I did appreciate that approach in Godzilla, but I also felt that once he was finally revealed, there wasn't much point in holding back anymore. Even more shots of him roaming around or swimming through the ocean would have been welcome. I think this is being overstated, though, and I thought that the scenes with the MUTO's were just as cool as the ones of Godzilla. Also, I'd wager a sequel would have a lot more monster action since there wouldn't be the need for a long, drawn-out introduction.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:29 pm 

Saw Godzilla last night. Awesome movie overall. The story was good enough to add some emotional depth to the piece, but it never overshadowed the fact that this is, first and foremost, a monster movie. And damn, did it deliver in that regard. I do agree a few more minutes of Godzilla wreaking havoc would have been welcome, but I don’t think it robs the movie of any of its power. The final battle was particularly incredible – the way that struggle ended had the audience in the theater cheering.

I do have a one question/quibble about the movie though:

What was up with the shots where Godzilla was swimming in formation with the Navy vessels? Those scenes made no sense to me. These shots came minutes after Godzilla caused a massive ocean surge in Hawaii that appeared to kill at least dozens of people. Granted, he then proceeded to fight the MUTO that was the initial threat to the humans, but even while doing that, Godzilla was still causing wanton destruction himself. You would think the Navy would be bombarding him with torpedoes as opposed to steaming in formation with him. I know Watanabe’s character defends Godzilla because he can defeat the MUTOs, but he doesn’t seem to convince anyone of this until later in the movie. At the point in the movie where these scenes occur, the Navy still seems to regard both Godzilla and the MUTOs as threats that must be destroyed, as evidenced by their “three birds with one stone” plan that is concocted a shortly thereafter. Maybe they wanted these shots in the movie because they look so cool? I can’t think of any other reason, they make no sense and don’t seem to jive with what is going on in the rest of the film.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:44 pm 

I definitely think they should have showed Godzilla more once he was finally revealed. I enjoyed the slow buildup, but the climax was a bit subdued. The monster battles should have had more screen time, and Godzilla should have used his atomic breath more. Twice is just not enough.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:17 pm 

But it's the way he used it that counts. When Godzilla
killed Mother MUTO by frying her with atomic breath down the throat
, my theater erupted into legitimate applause and cheering as if the home team won the game.

Godzilla was a bit of a mixed bag for me. It was quite entertaining and interesting most of the way through, but it fluctuated in its sense of enthrallment quite a bit. There were points where nothing of note was happening and it DRAGGED, and then there were points where it was the most insanely awesome thing I've ever seen. The final fight between Godzilla and the MUTOs is a prime example of that, including the aforementioned moment where the audience broke out into cheering and applause. The acting was quite good, and the movie's well cast, although it is guilty of an incredibly severe underuse of Bryan Cranston. The CGI ruled the universe, with Godzilla in particular looking fucking real. There were moments of total cliche nonsense, including in the film's climax, but in a movie like this it's to be expected a little.

Overall I'll give it a 7.5 out of 10, leaning a bit towards an 8. It's worth the IMAX experience, that's for sure.

P.S.
Just how the fuck did Elizabeth Olsen's character survive a building falling on her without a scratch? Bryan Cranston fell off a collapsing bridge and he died, but Olsen can survive getting crushed by pieces of a collapsing skyscraper without so much as a scrape?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:35 am 

Godzilla:

Looks like most are watching or have watched this over the weekend. I've got mixed feelings about the movie. I guess the ridiculously high expectations weren't entirely met.

The initial fight sequences were underwhelming, killing off Cranston early on really bummed me out and in general it still seemed very PG-13. But let's not get too negative out here. I loved the so-called origins of Godzilla and MUTO. This truly set the stage for everything that was to follow it. Apart from that, the moment we got a full body view of Godzilla, it was awesome. The scenes of him being flanked by the naval destroyers were cool too. If Godzilla didn't spew out those blue-flames, I would've said that the final fighting scenes were a flop. That's the only saving grace coz it was kinda boring to me.

Aaron Taylor did seem buffed up and he played the character well. I didn't know how he'd handle this role coz I know him only from the Kickass movies. But that panned out well for him and Hollywood should have more offers for him.

Overall, I liked the movie and I'd give it a 6.5/10. It's no Pacific Rim but if there's a sequel to this, I'm sure it'll do better than this.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:37 am 

Godzilla was a 6/10 for me, at best.

The main problem being too much focus on humans, not enough monster fights. Also, Walter White's character was the most interesting because the other actors were, well, devoid of anything likeable? Was kind of hoping they'd all be dead at the end for something different but of course not. Also, why would Godzilla care so much about fighting those monsters? My theory is that it's because they were breeding, and Godzilla is a jealous virgin and can't abide others having sex or whatevs.

Again, I wasted my money on the 3D, only really noticed it in the beginning of the film. At least the glasses were cool and I got some free movie posters.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:39 pm 

Godzilla did about 200 million worldwide so far, but it doesnt open in China and Japan for a least another month. Thats at least an extra 200 right there.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:56 pm 

Yeah, Godzilla was just bad. I would feel wrong rating it higher than a 5/10. Every character sucked balls.
Walter White overreacted for 20 or so minutes then died.
Every time something cool was about to happen, the camera panned away. Aaron Taylor Johnson is a blank slate of boring, emotionless nothingness. Elizabeth Olsen could have not been in the movie, to no detriment at all. In fact, had the movie been over 30 minutes shorter, and actually showed us more monster fights, it might have been an awesome flick. As it stands, it's a waste of money.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited by iamntbatman on Sun May 18, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how bad the movie is, it cannot be as bad as the casual dropping of huge spoilers.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:10 pm 

It was solid. I really liked the pacing and way everything was set up. The "science" backstory on the monsters was fun and actually easy to follow, while being pretty well done for these kinds of fictional realms - it worked to set up the story.

The characters, while not great, did what they had to - I didn't really have any complaints and they didn't detract from the movie for me, despite not really being anything too intriguing. Taylor-Johnson seemed to like doing something more serious than Kick-Ass 2, where he just seemed to be embarrassed to be on screen. The wife was pretty blandish, but I've still seen a lot worse - Mireille Enos in World War Z springs to mind, and Amy Adams in Man of Steel too. Bryan Cranston does really good in such a cliche character role that we've seen so many times before.

Action was fun and full of carnal destruction. It did feel too restrained. In comparison to, say, Pacific Rim, it wasn't nearly as wild or unhinged with its action scenes at all. I really liked the seriousness of everything going on - I felt there was danger here and I knew why. Their intent was to make Godzilla something to be taken seriously, and I think they mostly did; it felt very somber and grave throughout, which I liked - no forced humor. The human characters were given a lot of screen time, but unlike a shitty movie, they weren't taking up time with pointless romance sub plots and dumb drama - the focus was all on the monsters, even though the humans were the ones on screen. So it was fine.

The monsters looked awesome and the cinematography and overall visual look of the film were excellent, easily the strongest aspect of the movie. The movie went along quite nicely and I wasn't bored through any of it. With even bigger action scenes though, it could have been magnificent.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473 ... 819  Next