Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:11 pm 

A new Godzilla trailer (believe this is the 3rd one?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:21 pm 

Yeah, third one. Why can't May come sooner?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:33 pm 

I'm not even that big into Godzilla but those first two trailers were like some sort of awesome horror movie/disaster movie mashup, which is what it should be.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:38 pm 

There's this fanmade version of the second trailer that puts the J. Robert Oppenheimer quote from the Comic Con trailer on it. It's even more effective than the regular trailer.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:10 pm 

Holy hell, that is effective.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:52 pm 

I thought Enemy At The Gates did non-English speaking parts with English well but I can't recall many others that have.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:42 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
A new Godzilla trailer (believe this is the 3rd one?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc

I did not know Cranston was in this one. His voice has become one of the most recognized voices in the industry. The trailer looks good and it should be a blast to watch it.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:07 am 

I want to watch this simply for the sheer ridiculousness of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7onFrBK_hKE

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:16 am 

I am more excited for the new Godzilla than I could put into words. Don't care that the American precedent for it is so shit. This has an ace cast (if you ignore the guy from Kick Ass), a badass looking art direction, and most importantly of all A FUCKING AWESOME LOOKING GODZILLA THAT WILL DESTROY CITIES AND FIGHT OTHER AWESOME MONSTERS. This movie is going to be everything Pacific Rim wasn't.
One thing about the trailer though, they HAVE to stop with the bwwooooooommm Inception shit in every trailer. It got old years ago.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:21 am 

I'm gonna second the statement from earlier about the new Godzilla looking like a mixture of horror and large scale disaster movie. I'm 100% for this.

--

Literally just finished the 2013 version of Carrie about 3 minutes ago. I'll give my full thoughts on it tomorrow, but for now I'll say that it both was quite a bit better than I expected it to be and the ending is fucking HILARIOUS.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:38 pm 

Yeah, the trailer does the Inception "voosh", but I love that they're still using the 2001: A Space Odessey music for it, because my god does it sell this film. Who would thought that Godzilla + that theme would work so damn well? Also, they already confirmed other monsters in this film, but this trailer gets ups very brief glimpses at them. We can clearly see a flying one diving down through the clouds as well as an insect like one when it's foot lands around some soilders, so that's two more confirmed. I do doubt though that they're any previous Godzilla monster rebirthed as well, as awesome as it would be to see something like Rodan or some other Toho monster be in this one, it's doubtful. Sequels though......if this can be as successful as we hoped, we could have a beautiful franchise on our hands.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:46 pm 

The thing about Godzilla himself that first stuck out to me, aside from just how massive he was, was how real he looked. It didn't look like CGI. It looked like Godzilla was physically there in the city stomping through it.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:14 pm 

CANT FUCKING WAIT FOR GODZILLA UAAAAAAAAAGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHHHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:21 pm 

The Godzilla roar is great too.

Also, the Hans Zimmeryness of the trailer is pretty much nonexistent, I don't know where this criticism is coming from.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:22 am 

Watched Captain Phillips yesterday.
Great acting from multiple cast members, particularly Hanks and Barkhad Abdi. Way, way too much shakycam©, although I understand the director was probably trying to convey a sense of realism and authenticity, but then you see the military-related scenes and they're so empty and superfluous that they're disruptive to the atmosphere the shakycam attempts to inspire anyway. Does there really need to be a scene where nameless SEAL officer (who never gets a name, and never turns into a character) receives a phone call in America telling him to ship out and resolve the situation by any means necessary? I don't appreciate being bludgeoned to boredom with such hammy foreshadowing. It's like they added scenes just to keep the "Americuh, fuck yeahhh" crowd shovelling popcorn into their mouths in what is otherwise a pretty good movie. Mixed feelings.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:01 am 

Saw Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette last night. It was pretty bad. The costuming and overall design work was absolutely gorgeous, but everything else pretty much sucked. The goddamn soundtrack was pulling my balls off with dental floss. Definitely one of the tamest, shallowest treatments that story could've been given. Whatever/5

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:18 pm 

I hate Sofia Coppola.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:28 pm 

I've not seen Marie Antoinette, nor do I have any real desire to. Of her movies, the only one I've seen is The Virgin Suicides, which wasn't really all that bad.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:01 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I've not seen Marie Antoinette, nor do I have any real desire to. Of her movies, the only one I've seen is The Virgin Suicides, which wasn't really all that bad.

The Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation are good movies, but she has never delivered on any of the promise she showed with those movies and they have gotten progressively less enjoyable to watch.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:08 pm 

I like The Virgin Suicides, but it's been a while since I've seen it so maybe it doesn't hold up as well. I like Lost in Translation a whole lot, though; a recent re-watch confirmed that. The Bling Ring was just plain shitty, though.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:10 pm 

Lost in Translation is one of my favorite films ever. I still want to see Virgin Suicides sometime - I actually wasn't really aware of any of her other films.

So, due to House of Cards I haven't really watched as many movies lately. I did see Capote, which I thought was really great. Real raw, emotional, tender sort of film. Philip Seymour Hoffman brought home the bacon - just a stunning, engulfing performance where you really believed he was the character. I really liked the subtleties in it. His relationship with Harper Lee was just a work of art, the way it was done, as was his relationship with the killer. Really showed a lot about who he was and about what it's like being an artist - all the vanity, all the ego, and yet also all the disappointment and instability.

I also saw Uli Lommel's Black Dahlia. Which was a piece of shit, but still better than the Brian De Palma Black Dahlia.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:13 pm 

I just watched a doc in media class called "We Live In Public" about a guy that got very successful during the dotcom boom and had an idea of what the future of communication and media would look like (he wasn't [totally] wrong).

I was massively uncomfortable throughout it. This guy, Josh Harris, is so bizarre, as is the movie. Watching this made me annoyed, embarrassed for him and everyone in it, and actually dislike the guy. He got so caught up in internet but he was completely stuck in the time. His correct ideas about where things were going didn't fit his artsy impulses and he catered to the entirely wrong crowd while the mechanisms of his business ventures were all doomed to fail. A large part of the movie focuses on this experiment he did at the turn of the century. The full-on nudity, sex scenes, shit and piss, wackjob people involved in this and the sociopathic tendencies of this guy and the people in it made classmates drop like flies and leave. Less than half of the class remained.

The clown scenes gave me the biggest douche chills I've felt in a solid year.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:30 pm 

Anyone else catch the latest (last?) Miyazaki film, The Wind Rises? I just saw it the other night in the theatre and it was pretty great. Maybe not incredible, but very solid, making up for the lackluster-to-good-enough previous efforts Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo. It was cool finally seeing him take on a down-to-earth subject, even if it spent half its time in the clouds :D. Even though I felt it could have dwelt more meaningfully on the ways in which the WWII reality played into the arc of the story, it was still quite a pretty and well-made film. Recommended!

I really enjoyed Lost in Translation but I remember thinking The Virgin Suicides was terrible. Can't for the life of me recall anything else about it now, though, which I guess says something.

Would like to watch Capote, will check it out.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:08 am 

I finally saw the Lego Movie, and it was awesome as everyone has said it was.

My girlfriend and I saw Winter's Tale and holy shit was that one bad. Hilariously bad acting, bad CGI effects, and terrible dialogue. When the movie ended both my GF and I were cracking up and making bad jokes about the film. Seriously don't go see it.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:17 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I just watched a doc in media class called "We Live In Public" I was massively uncomfortable throughout it. Watching this made me annoyed, embarrassed for him and everyone in it, and actually dislike the guy. He got so caught up in internet but he was completely stuck in the time. The full-on nudity, sex scenes, shit and piss, wackjob people involved in this and the sociopathic tendencies of this guy and the people in it made classmates drop like flies and leave. Less than half of the class remained. The clown scenes gave me the biggest douche chills I've felt in a solid year.

I really hate this type of pretentious douchebaggery parading itself off as insightful and profound. Especially the sheepish attention whoring 'art' crowd who join in, attaining their goal of fame without actually doing anything of significant effort, worth or value. Shitting on a canvas and being remembered for it. If anything he contributed to the decline of privacy and a more voyeuristic public.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:15 pm 

Has anyone here seen La Grande Bellezza ("The Great Beauty") yet? Because its playing at my local theater the next two weeks and I'm really interested by this. All is Lost and The Square are playing as well, but that's the one of those three I'm most likely to watch.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:32 pm 

lupin99 wrote:
I finally saw the Lego Movie, and it was awesome as everyone has said it was.

Yeah I saw it too, was quite entertaining. Batman was probably the highlight for me, with Will Arnett AKA Gob from Arrested Development as the perfect voice for the parody angle. Definitely worth a watch, especially if you like Legos.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:27 pm 

Trance was pretty damn good. I think Danny Boyle might be one of the most diverse directors working today and James Mcavoy is great in it. It's very engaging. And though certain character's motivations sort of become less believable as it goes along and is overly focused on throwing twist after twist at the viewer, I don't think it comes undone. I would definitely recommend it for fans of psychological thrillers.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:22 am 

I watched the Wolf of Wallstreet. It was pretty good (for a 3 hour movie). Though I did feel that very little happened during the movie for it to be 3 hours. Anyway, some observations - I found it hilarious that Jonah Hill resembled a fat Napoleon Dynamite. DiCaprio is usually quite good in his roles and he didn't disappoint playing the protagonist. I never thought I'd ever say this but I wish Matthew McConaughey had a longer role here. I also loved Margot Robbie's performance, her put-on accent was cool. All in all, a good movie. Not at par with the other Scorscese films but worth watching once.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:57 am 

Machete Kills - Not as bad as I was expecting, but this left me feeling that the "fake" two minute Grindhouse trailer is better than both hundred minute movies it spawned. The beginning and end of this one are also advertisements for yet another Machete movie, which I kind of doubt will get made.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:51 pm 

Considering Machete Kills was awful and dragggggggeeeed, I really hope it doesn't.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:56 pm 

Robert Rodriguez will find a way. He did make FOUR Spy Kids movies, after all.

Last edited by Subrick on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:54 pm 

Anybody know of any movies like The Lair of the White Worm? Pretty cool 80's horror/comedy with a young Peter Capaldi, gratuitous nudity, virgin sacrifice to a malevolent ancient devil worm, two cops in the entire town, and the cast just having lots of fun with it.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:26 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Robert Rodriguez will find a way. He did make FOUR Spy Kids movies, after all.

Spy Kids actually made money. Machete Kills flopped badly.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:44 pm 

Without realizing they were all directed by Paul Verhoeven I watched Total Recall on thursday, Robocop yesterday, and Starship Troopers this afternoon. Does this mean I should watch Showgirls tomorrow? Blech.

Starship Troopers is such a stupid and yet improbably entertaining movie. Service guarantees citizenship!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:23 pm 

Might as well. It's good for a laugh.

Also, while Showgirls is just a porno without the onscreen penetration, it still at least had a budget and presentable scenery. Showgirls 2 on the other hand has the look, and acting quality, of an authentic soundstage porno.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:35 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Does this mean I should watch Showgirls tomorrow? Blech.

You probably mean this as a joke, or maybe you've already seen Showgirls, but I totally recommend that movie to anybody who enjoys sleaze. Sometimes I watch "notoriously bad" movies that just end up being dull; Catwoman comes to mind. But I think Showgirls belongs in the same category as Plan 9 from Outer Space and The Room - if you're at all curious, you owe it to yourself to see it once.

Regarding the financial performance of the Machete flicks, Box Office Mojo says the first movie made $44 million worldwide, while the sequel only managed $15 million. Machete Kills Again ... in Space might never go from the 'fake trailer' to 'actual movie' stage. Which come to think of it, maybe Machete in general never should have.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:42 pm 

Anybody that hasn't read "The Disaster Artist" by Greg Sestero really needs to. It's a first hand account by him about the making of The Room and his friendship with Tommy Wiseau, and it's one of the most interesting, fun books I've ever read.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:49 pm 

The Disaster Artist is really good. Hilarious and bizarre, but it's also surprisingly somber and reflective, and has a lot of depth to it. Really great book spawned from a crazy, weird movie.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:58 pm 

Going back to Showgirls for a moment, anybody see the other legendarily bad mid-90s stripper movie Striptease? I've yet to see it, but the thing I've surmised from reading various reviews and opinions about the two movies is that Showgirls is rather funny and amusing in its shittiness, while Striptease is just plain bad. If anybody who's seen Striptease can confirm or deny that, please do say so.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463 ... 819  Next