Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:16 pm 

Yeah, I saw The Lego Movie the other day, and it was a lot of fun. A very legitimately funny movie.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:58 pm 

Just checked it again right now and The Lego Movie has a 96% on RT.

So yeah, go see that instead.

[url=https://www.facebook.com/OfficialBlacksoulSeraphim/[/url]Gothic Doom/Black Metal
[url=https://www.facebook.com/OfficialAutumnsAshes]Autumn's Ashes[/url] Melodic Death/Doom Metal

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:26 am 

The Guardians of the Galaxy trailer is out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM
Pretty much what one can expect from a Marvel superhero movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:53 am 

Playing the voice of a raccoon is the role Bradley Cooper was always destined to play.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:40 pm 

Just watched the most recent Fast and Furious, number 6.

I'll give a 3/5

I tried to limit the spoilers.
Spoiler: show
I found this surprisingly good for a Fast and Furious movie even if the action sequences were frequently in ridiculous territory and sometimes the director forgot how gravity works. If you are ok with a mindless action movie that doesn't need to look realistic then this is well worth watching. The storyline was solid and the main villain did an excellent job. (Why are villains so often British?) There was a scene where Vin Diesal saved his girlfriend by flying through the air and catching her mid-air that was beyond ridiculous, and I didn't realize it was possible to get a pair of tweezers and pull a bullet out of your own chest with no anaesthetic and no wincing. There was another scene that really pushed the boundaries of physics where vehicles were hanging off a cargo plane as it took off and the plane took 10-15minutes to take off the runway that seemed to last forever. I know the camera was switching between characters so playing the same time-frame twice, but even with this taken into account, it was way too long, and far too much happened.

I didn't like the twist towards the end after they think they have caught the bad guy. This deserved a bit more development instead of looking like they just pulled it out of a hat. (I don't want to give it away)

One thing that did bug me a bit was the way it felt more like a cartoon or video game with all the death defying stunts. I never felt like the characters were in much danger and just expected them to keep defying the laws of physics and winning. However, maybe this just suited the movie with its mindless action vibe. And Vin Diesal and the Rock were always trying to out-macho each other whenever they spoke to each other. This was kind of funny. It was a little eerie watching Paul Walker after he was killed in a car crash recently, and when he went undercover briefly in prison there was zero purpose to that whatsoever and they tried to say he did it for himself with a line from Vin Diesal but this made no sense. And having a villain from a previous movie involved didn't really serve a purpose other than to make a link with a previous film in the franchise. It would have been better if they developed this more.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:05 pm 

shouvince wrote:
The Guardians of the Galaxy trailer is out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM
Pretty much what one can expect from a Marvel superhero movie.

That... yes. Just, a thousand times, yes. Just yes, over and over again. Forever.

Also, I found this pretty hilarious: http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/ ... -BTS-5.jpg (image is huge).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:55 pm 

I'm still expecting the first trailer for Episode VII to be in front of Guardians of the Galaxy. Teaser trailer in front of that, theatrical trailer in front of Avengers 2. It makes too much sense not to do it.

[url=https://www.facebook.com/OfficialBlacksoulSeraphim/[/url]Gothic Doom/Black Metal
[url=https://www.facebook.com/OfficialAutumnsAshes]Autumn's Ashes[/url] Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:00 pm 

shouvince wrote:

Looks like complete dogshit but I'll watch anything with the golden throated Peter Serafinowicz.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:01 pm 

That gets my dumb trailer award for the year. Not even March yet.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:01 pm 

But but you just don't get it it's supposed to be dumb therefore that barricades it from any and all dumb-based criticisms!!!!!!11
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:16 pm 

Carrie (2013) - I'd seen the 1976 movie, but not the 2002 remake (not even the presence of Katharine Isabelle could convince me to overlook its 132 minute running time). This re-remake is watchable, I guess. They could have done what Hollywood often does by casting an actress in her mid twenties to play a high school student*, but at least Chloe M is the right age for the part. However, I kind of wish they had gone with a more obscure actress, since every time I looked at her I kept seeing Hit Girl.

So anyway, the movie does pretty much what you'd expect on its way to the big finale that everybody knows is coming. I'd put this somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as horror remakes go. Not amazing, but not offensive since I think the De Palma version is overrated to begin with.

* I just looked it up and Angela Bettis was pushing 30 when she played the title role in the 2002 version? Wow.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:34 pm 

I have to say though, that Guardians of the Galaxy trailer did actually have me paying attention, unlike yet another incredibly pretentious EPIC OMINOUS APPROACHING DESTINY OF DANGER trailer full of Hans Zimmer BWOMMMS.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:02 pm 

I saw The Lego Movie last night and it was pretty fantastic. I am a bit of a lego nerd (ok, totally a nerd, I collect the shit) and I think this film did a good job of appealing to kids and the older crowd, not just the collectors. It is an animated movie that is certainly designed to be comprehended by kids, so it's not an intensely complex film, but it did have some imagination and the way the last twenty minutes or so tied the whole thing up was really great - almost poetic. I might be overrating it a bit because I didn't expect much, but I was definitely impressed.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:03 am 

The cast for the Fantastic Four reboot has been all but confirmed.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/miles ... 201099921/

I really don't expect I'll be seeing this. I've never had any interest in the Fantastic Four, be it in the comics or the movies.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:22 pm 

3 more fucking months........it's closing in.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:33 pm 

Gah. I feel like I really shouldn't get my hopes up for this new Godzilla movie but I just can't help it. GODZILLA!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:06 pm 

Yeah, I also hate getting all hyped up, but it just seems like the direction they're taking the new Godzilla movie in is great. Can't wait to see the Big G on screen.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:39 pm 

With the release of a poster like this, a trailer is almost certain to come out soon. I'm betting money it'll happen before the new 300.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:15 pm 

There are already two trailers for the movie out. One's the theatrical trailer, and the other's the theatrical trailer.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:20 pm 

I've seen the new 300 trailer on tv a few times and all I have to say is WHY THE FUCK DO THE CHARACTERS HAVE ENGLISH ACCENTS?! This is something I've noticed in many modern "historical" dramas regardless of where they take place. It makes me furious. More so than any sane adult should be.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:18 pm 

I see Aurone makes his monthly appearance to hype up the new Godzilla again. I mean, come on. Godzilla is a shitload of campy fun, but has there ever been an actually well made one? Like, outside of the camp and sheer spectacle? I really don't understand the hype behind it, especially when the last attempt at an American big screen adaptation was such a disaster. What're they gonna do this time? Make the same movie but with a monster that actually looks more like a recognizable Godzilla? I am willing to bet my car that the charm of the Toho stuff will be nowhere to be found.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:32 pm 

Aurone wrote:
Godzilla movie poster

Bryan Cranston's name should be first.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:56 am 

Generally with marquee credits, the name with an 'and' attached is the most esteemed member of the film's cast. I think it also has something to do with fulfilling a SAG requirement (so that the big ticket-selling name doesn't dwarf the actor who's actually the one most present in the film) but I'm not 100% sure about that one.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:20 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I see Aurone makes his monthly appearance to hype up the new Godzilla again. I mean, come on. Godzilla is a shitload of campy fun, but has there ever been an actually well made one? Like, outside of the camp and sheer spectacle? I really don't understand the hype behind it, especially when the last attempt at an American big screen adaptation was such a disaster. What're they gonna do this time? Make the same movie but with a monster that actually looks more like a recognizable Godzilla? I am willing to bet my car that the charm of the Toho stuff will be nowhere to be found.

Well, the point of this movie is to capture the essence of the very first Godzilla movie, which had very little in the way of camp. It's more about the Big G as a metaphor for man's hubris. And yeah, I'm perfectly aware of how pretentious that sounds, but eh, fuck it, I'll watch it anyway :-P

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:51 am 

Subrick wrote:
The cast for the Fantastic Four reboot has been all but confirmed.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/miles ... 201099921/

I really don't expect I'll be seeing this. I've never had any interest in the Fantastic Four, be it in the comics or the movies.

The F4 franchise has always been so terribly weak. I think that's got to the innate nature of the characters themselves - superheroes with no grit, at least that's how they've been portrayed. I've seen the previous two movies because of either friends or there was nothing better to do then. This new cast looks boring too. For now, I don't really give a damn about the upcoming reboot.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:45 pm 

The shittiest thing about the Fantastic Four movies is that they waste really fucking cool Marvel villains. I barely remember the first Fantastic Four other than it sucking and never saw the second, which was apparently even worse, but it had fucking GALACTUS in it? Lame. I'm not really interested in this new one at all.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:26 pm 

Well, there's something called Galactus in that movie, but it's not actually Galactus. Here's the Galactus we all know and love:

And here is Fantastic Four 2's Galactus:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:09 am 

Yeah Dr. Doom is my all-time favorite comic book villain. Really fucking lame how they wasted him.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:14 am 

Haha, Galactus is a fucking malevolent cloud of destruction in Fantastic Four 2? The Neverending Story called; it wants its antagonist back.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:20 am 

Basically the villain is just the special effects department. HOLY SHIT LOOK OUT HUMAN TORCH IT'S A BUNCH OF ASIANS RENDERING BULLCRAP ON A COMPUTER OH NOOOOO

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:50 am 

PARTICLE EFFECTICUS: DEVOURER OF RAM

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:16 pm 

The Monuments Men was such a bore. It's a long movie with inconsequential things happening in the movie. I also felt that they jumped straight into the main plot of the movie too soon, leaving no room for a good build up. Another issue is a big star cast. At times it can work well for you, but most of the times, the director will under utilize an actor(s) - in this Bill Murray. I won't delve into further details, this movie is avoidable.

Rating: 4/10

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:43 pm 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/2 ... lp00000009

RIP Harold Ramis - shitty way to start a week. He did some awesome movies back in the day.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:51 pm 

Damn! What!? Fuck....That came out of nowhere.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:25 pm 

Cold irony, this is the 30th year anniversery of Ghostbusters......

This just knocked the wind out of me.....god damn.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:52 pm 

This is more interesting than the Fantastic Four.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:23 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/24/harold-ramis-dead-dies_n_4847853.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

RIP Harold Ramis - shitty way to start a week. He did some awesome movies back in the day.

Yeah, shit, I actually just re-watched Ghostbusters a few days ago and was reading about his career. Guess he'll never patch things up with Bill Murray now.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 am 

Damn, such a shame he had to leave us with Year One. I thought he was going to make a come back with another classic like Groundhog Day.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:14 am 

VoidApostle wrote:
I've seen the new 300 trailer on tv a few times and all I have to say is WHY THE FUCK DO THE CHARACTERS HAVE ENGLISH ACCENTS?! This is something I've noticed in many modern "historical" dramas regardless of where they take place. It makes me furious. More so than any sane adult should be.

Of all things in a historical drama to get angry about (like Hollywood blatantly re-writing history to make a buck), this is probably the most trivial. I guess the clean English accent has just been accepted in film as the common tongue of the past, especially for Ancient Greeks and Romans (though curiously never Russians/Soviets). Honestly, looking at flicks like 300...are the accents really the main thing devaluing the 'authenticity' here?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:33 pm 

The only movie in recent memory where I wish they actually didn't use English for non-English speaking people was Warhorse. Not a great movie by any stretch, but the killing point was that everyone the horse clung to spoke English - including German soldiers and French civilians. Come the fuck on, forget the US audience Spielberg and just use subtitles for that shit. Even with accents, it took me right of the movie.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462 ... 819  Next