* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:42 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
I'm thinking of all my examples slowly. Soul Calibur is pretty notorious for the obnoxious fanservice, but Xianghua escapes unscathed from that department I'd say. Plus her model of the titular sword is the only one that doesn't look different from the one in the cutscenes, so you could say she's the true owner. The only thing holding her back is that she's one of the least interesting characters to me, I guess it all depends on your interpretation.

I don't remember much of Soul Calibur (only played SC2 a bit and the SC1 demo on Dreamcast... yeah), but are you talking about, uh... this? Pray tell how that's not "obnoxious fanservice"?

In my defense, I had only played the shit out of 2 and a bit of 4, and that red one is an alternate costume, she normally looks like this. And I'd still kinda retracted my statement since thinking about how uninteresting she really is.

My best contribution so far I'd have to say is probably Ayame, but I've only played the first game, and now that I'm doing some research I see they made her outfits skimpier with each new installment. So looks like that one is moot too.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:53 pm 

Here's a new game: try to find a female meeting the above criterias, but with the added one that she must be an older woman (40's+).

The Boss
Dahlia Gillespie (sorta, SH1 only)

... I got nothing. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:58 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
I hear the Valkyrie Profile chick is awesome.

I like Ada Wong. Confident and sexy. Too bad RE6 will ruin her.

I like Ada too but she doesn't meet the criteria. How will RE6 ruin her exactly though?

We've been here done that, I thought RE5 was shit and RE6 looks potentially worse. Seriously does that shit look good to you? Looks like a Michael Bay film at this point, I can't believe how convoluted and hilariously bad it looks, and not in a good way. Her and Leon just simply being there makes it inevitable their characters will be destroyed. Resident Evil has become a decayed zombie that needs to stay dead.

And Crapcom just sums it up. This is what we get for the 25th Megaman Anniversary.

Thanks Capcom, thanks.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:06 pm 

Oh, I thought had something specifically about Ada in mind.

I was just gonna say, "oh, what about Sheva?", but then I remembered that she's not really that fleshed out/interesting, and she also dressed lightly :lol: (though to be fair, it's hot in Africa... then again, Chris is dressed normally and he's not even from there). Oops.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Here's a new game: try to find a female meeting the above criterias, but with the added one that she must be an older woman (40's+).

The Boss
Dahlia Gillespie (sorta, SH1 only)

... I got nothing. :lol:

How about Brigit Tenenbaum, a major supporting character from Bioshock, and a minor supporting character from Bioshock 2? Then there's Sofia Lamb, the main villain from Bioshock 2, who definitely fits those criteria too. Also, to a lesser extent, Grace Holloway, a fairly major supporting character. None of those characters are sexualized in the least, and all of them are 40+, important, strong (mentally, rather than physically), and interesting.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:53 am 

failsafeman wrote:
How about Brigit Tenenbaum, a major supporting character from Bioshock, and a minor supporting character from Bioshock 2? Then there's Sofia Lamb, the main villain from Bioshock 2, who definitely fits those criteria too. Also, to a lesser extent, Grace Holloway, a fairly major supporting character. None of those characters are sexualized in the least, and all of them are 40+, important, strong (mentally, rather than physically), and interesting.

Oh yeah Bioshock doesn't have sexy women in it at all. They're pretty interesting too.

Fallout has strong women that aren't sexualized or fanservice. You have them as followers. And you can't swap out their armor for sexy clothes cause they automatically equip the best item you give them. Their default clothes have better defense than any sexy outfit in the game. Although some DLC packs do give sexier armor.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Veronica_Santangelo

Veronica is a bit of a goof and likes to have fun. She's one of the few characters in Fallout that actually seems like they're having fun. But she also has a serious side to her. She has this quiet wisdom.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Rose_of_Sharon_Cassidy

Rose is a tough cowgirl who drinks a lot and has a temper. She has a foul mouth and is like one of the guys. She's a fun companion. Her and my dog tend to be my favorite pair of companions to bring along with me.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Christine_Royce

This is a DLC character.

Christine is a mute, so her character is interesting in that there is no dialogue but she gesticulates and makes various facial expressions. Based on your various skills, you do a check to see if you can read further into what she's trying to tell you. If your science skill is high you might guess why she's mute or something. Her story and personality are pretty cool.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:40 am 

Interesting topic, Morrigan, and quite sad yet true. Trying to come up with examples is rather difficult, but here's a couple I suppose:

Ravel, an old hag out of Planescape: Torment. A major character even if you don't see much of her, her presence is strong throughout most of the game. Though I suppose she kind of falls into the girlfriend-theme... In a way.

Viktoria out of the Thief-series. A dryad, your employer, enemy and ally throughout the first two games.

Zanthia out of The Legend of Kyrandia-series though mostly the second one where you play as her. A level-headed sorceress in a world of zany magicians and jesters as evil villains so pretty much the only sane one out there. Besides the big, gloved hand that serves as the villain of the game. I'm not sure about the interesting part, I can't really remember much of the stuff about the game except the puzzles. And well, the game is separated into chapters - islands - and she changes clothes between every island though never into anything very revealing as far as I can remember. And well, PC graphics at the time didn't really translate well to that stuff either.

Very difficult actually, to think of good examples.

And well, if you want to go to really old games, there's The Hag you play as in an old C-64 game, Cauldron, but I'm not sure how interesting that is since, well, there's not much of a story as far as I remember. Or maybe she was bent on world domination? Or showing The King off? Can't really remember.

Morrigan wrote:
I realized that even those I liked usually fell into one of those categories, though sometimes only mildly (i.e. Jade from Beyond Good and Evil does have cleavage and exposed midriff, but I wouldn't really say she's sexualized from what I've seen of the game)

I played through the game, but never actually saw this. I mean I must've seen it, but never realized that she actually has an exposed midriff or cleavage, though since it's an over the shoulder game, you rarely see her from front.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:13 am 

Wait, how is there a discussion of good female video game characters and no mention of Kreia from KotORII? She's easily my favorite video game character of all time, bar none. She's a mentor, and a traitor, an antagonist but not really a villain, not truly - her character is incredibly deep and takes several runs through the game to really grasp. She's both the first character you meet in the game and the final character you fight, but even her own end is essentially of her own design. It's brilliant, the whole game is essentially built around her motives and manipulations, and there are a *lot* of them.

"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it."

Here's a brilliant little scene that's not too spoiler-y: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6IWqwY2UxU

Last edited by Oblarg on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:14 am 

failsafeman wrote:

Nice. :) Good job, Bioshock designers.

Ohhh I just remembered a good one: Agrias! I always liked her. Stubborn and loyal and honourable to a fault (she was like a female Ned Stark xD), and her abilities were cool, without being overpowered. She's not that major though, but then few characters are, other than Ramza and Delita.

And also Katherine Marlowe from Uncharted 3. She's not really that interesting though, kinda of an "evil old bitch" cliché, but she's a strong older woman.
And there's Jill Valentine and Claire Redfield, but they're bland and boring. Hah. Rebecca Chambers is even worse, she's annoying and insipid.

MacMoney wrote:
[snip as I don't know those games, nice to see some more examples though]

I played through the game, but never actually saw this. I mean I must've seen it, but never realized that she actually has an exposed midriff or cleavage, though since it's an over the shoulder game, you rarely see her from front.

Yeah, HB came up with her and I was gonna agree from my memory of the game, until I did a google image search and found this: http://www.godheval.com/images/bge_jade_screen.jpg
So technically yeah she's got a skimpy shirt but you'd only notice in cut scenes (if at all) and I don't think she was intended to be some fanservice-y "babe". And I don't remember much but I don't believe there's something out of place about her dress too, which is one of my pet peeves, the females allegedly gearing up for intense combat yet are dressed like they're going to the beach or something. I mean when Lara Croft is dressed conservatively in comparison, you know there's something kinda wrong. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:03 am 

Juni from Knytt Stories.
Seriously, play that game. It's free.

Did no one mention American McGee's Alice? I've only played the first game though.

What about Chell from Portal? Not interesting?

Faith from Mirror's Edge.

But yeah, it mostly looks pretty bleak.
And those are all player characters. The situation is probably worse with NPCs since you don't have to identify with them.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:40 am 

Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:55 am 

There's way too many to name. I don't even know where to start. I'd have to go alphabetically through each genre to pick them out.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:46 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Juni from Knytt Stories.
Seriously, play that game. It's free.

Oh yeah, Knytt Stories is an excellent platformer, sort of Metroid-y in that you're given a big world to explore, and need to discover various powerups to be able to travel to all the parts. However, there's no combat, so you have to avoid/sneak by the enemies in the game. There aren't many of them either compared to a regular platformer, so most of the gameplay consists of exploration and difficult platforming.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:00 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
And there's Jill Valentine and Claire Redfield, but they're bland and boring. Hah. Rebecca Chambers is even worse, she's annoying and insipid.

Jill has a personality and style. She is the "master of unlocking" :P

But even though she's boring I appreciate that her and Chris have been through a lot and are still platonic. They both see each other as really good work partners. Any other TV show or movie or game would be dropping hints that they like each other or have them be together.

Oh man that reminds me. I was playing Resident Evil Revelations online coop as Jessica.

Spoiler: show

What was my partner doing? Oh he kept equipping his sniper rifle and pointing it at my butt. It was so shameless it was a mix of being funny and creepy.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:57 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Good one.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:02 pm 

Marag wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

Good one.

One of my friends brought her up and she might fail on the whole "be interesting" front but to be fair I never beat that game. I'm fundamentally opposed to a platformer where I can't see my fucking feet.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:19 pm 

I don't know if everyone failed to mention her because it was too obvious, but how about Delphine from Skyrim? She's one of the main characters in the main quest, she's an ex-Blade and can easily hold her own in a fight, she's in her mid-50s...whether she's interesting or not is debatable, but otherwise she fits all the criteria. And, of course, this is The Elder Scrolls, which seems to really suck at sexualizing anything ever.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:25 pm 

Fuck y'all, Mirror's Edge is awesome.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:26 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
One of my friends brought her up and she might fail on the whole "be interesting" front but to be fair I never beat that game. I'm fundamentally opposed to a platformer where I can't see my fucking feet.

Well, Mirror's Edge was fun enough that I'm planning to replay it sometime. The gameplay was innovative as fuck and well executed imo. They really need to get their asses up and make a sequel.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:32 pm 

Mirror's Edge might have been good if it weren't half an hour long and didn't have those atrocious cutscenes.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:40 pm 

I've been playing the fuck out of some PlanetSide 2. Greatest game I've had the pleasure to play in many years. Can't wait for the launch!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:44 pm 

I thought you died.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:12 pm 

Hey Ozzy: New Sleeping Dogs patch fixes all of your camera issues :D .
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:48 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Hey Ozzy: New Sleeping Dogs patch fixes all of your camera issues :D .

After I'm done with my 50th KOTOR 2 replay, I'll get back on that game. Thanks for the notification. Now if they only added custom mp3 radio...
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:30 pm 

KOTOR 2 finally on Steam by the way (forgot if HB or anyone else mentioned that). I can't wait to play that one with the restored content.

I tried dabbing into KOTOR awhile back but nothing clicked, I'll have to give it another shot sometime.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:32 pm 

@Ozzy: You're playing KOTOR 2 with the restoration mod, I assume? Have any other mods installed, like the excellent difficulty mod?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:45 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
@Ozzy: You're playing KOTOR 2 with the restoration mod, I assume? Have any other mods installed, like the excellent difficulty mod?

Yep, TSLRCM 1.8. Have only had one playthrough where there were no crashes. Had to let go of a lot of mods that were incompatible with 1.8 according to the list on the deadlystream website, but what I've kept has still made me play the game over and over. Most of what I have are reskins like making Bao Dur (dark side) and Sion look more badass and giving people proper clothing. Most of what I have actually makes the game feel more convenient. Vanilla K2 is like playing a game that keeps the player restricted the entire time. No, I don't give myself a lightsaber right at the beginning in the morgue or anything, but skills, feats and the like are more balanced upon level ups. I've been using Kotor Tool to tweak the game to make it more balanced with my gameplay style.

I will say that HK factory restored content kicked my ass. No idea how hard that was going to be and was completely unprepared. Getting through that was a nightmare.
Xeogred wrote:
KOTOR 2 finally on Steam by the way (forgot if HB or anyone else mentioned that). I can't wait to play that one with the restored content.

I tried dabbing into KOTOR awhile back but nothing clicked, I'll have to give it another shot sometime.

I would buy it on steam if I knew for effing sure I would have no problems with install and mods. As far as I know, it's still iffy.

As for the first KOTOR, I find it harder and harder to go back to playing it. It is fun, but it pales severely compared to K2 in every way.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:49 pm 

I've been playing KOTOR2 lately as well, or I was anyways. I got to this one point where I could go no further and it would start glitching relentlessly; it could just be a bad crack, but I've also read it has hiccups with newer video cards.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:09 am 

You playing the Steam version?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:53 am 

iAm wrote:
it could just be a bad crack

Unless iAm's literally on some poorly-synthed rock, and he's just hallucinating his Steam copy of KOTOR2's abject failings. Which, for iAm, isn't entirely impossible.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:50 am 

I literally just cracked up laughing.

Yes that was a pun.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:00 am 

Hey I played KoToR 2 til not too long ago too. Didn't finish it because everything was kinda confusing and bad decisions I made early in the game (like trying to play a neutral character which apparently wasn't supposed to be an option because it handicaps you which makes no fucking sense because Kreia) biting me in the ass. I hate it when that happens. Maybe gonna try a new start with the TSLRCM mod and just play a good character.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:39 am 

I just HATE the first level of Kotor 2 its so long and boring with fuck all happening

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:00 am 

On the subject of female leads in videogames who aren't uninteresting wank material for 13 year olds-
April Ryan and Zoe Castillo of The Longest Journey series.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:57 pm 

Just finished Darksiders 2, been such a long wait ever since the first one and by Crom it is AWESOME. Platforming, doalogue, narrating, plot, and slaying lots of evil demonic hellspawn and pompous angels with your scythes. Video games don't get better than that.

DisciplineOfRevenge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:29 am 

i really hope they make a Dead Rising 1 remake with Chuck as the protagonist. like in DR2: Off the Record but the reverse. add in some new psychopaths, maybe some new environments, update the graphics and gameplay.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:36 am 

_MFMGW_ wrote:
On the subject of female leads in videogames who aren't uninteresting wank material for 13 year olds-

Don't they both start out in their underwear? :P
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:25 am 

I gotta admit I have a soft spot for April she's cute and funny and has a great ass.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:27 am 

Nahsil wrote:
_MFMGW_ wrote:

Don't they both start out in their underwear? :P

Yeah... well... about that... fuck.
Hahaha. Touché!

somefella wrote:
Just finished Darksiders 2, been such a long wait ever since the first one and by Crom it is AWESOME. Platforming, doalogue, narrating, plot, and slaying lots of evil demonic hellspawn and pompous angels with your scythes. Video games don't get better than that.

This. It's like Zelda for metalheads.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:42 am 

I thought the first Darksiders was boring, specially because I think God of War style gameplay is lame.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443 ... 940  Next