Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:37 pm 

Yeah, I really miss the with-tuition benefits of my college days (and being able to leech off them for a while longer when I worked part-time for the university after graduating.)

I've also taken to adding smoothies to my breakfasts per my dad's (who's something of a health guru) suggestion. Frozen mixed berries, broccoli and cauliflower, spinach, yogurt, half an avocado and protein powder. The vegetables cut back on the sugar of an all-fruit smoothie and add some fiber, and the avocado adds fat. If you're looking to lose weight, he said a friend of his lost 60 pounds or so by drinking those for breakfast alongside his normal workout routine over the course of a year or so. I don't need to lose anything so I normally have them in addition to my normal breakfast.

I've already managed to move my wake-up time from noon to 6:30 on account of this job, so I'm hoping another hour and half won't be too hard once I hone in on the mental discipline.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:54 pm 

Yeah, suppose now that I'm going to the gym I should stop eating like a fat ass all the time. Been going to fast food way too often, and I usually just make pasta or steak for dinner. I'm kind of a hack cook, but I think I'll try making some new stuff.

Does anyone know anything about supplements for weight lifting? Should I just get the protein shake stuff, or start out with other stuff as well?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:03 pm 

I had a few friends in college who told me your body can only process 12 or so grams of protein per hour, so if you have more than that following a workout you're just going to shit out the rest of it. Since protein powder can be expensive, they just drank chocolate milk after workout to get the same amount. I'm sure there are also more nuanced ways of doing things, but given how ripped they were (granted, they also had extremely nuanced workout routines that matched their body type) that particular approach seemed to work.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:06 pm 

^ Don't waste your money, just eat good healthy food, little and often . Nearly all the people you see in magazines have taken something, only a few genetic "freaks" develop fantastic muscle mass naturally.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:53 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Compared to Hellyeah, KSE is the best band ever. Even remotely insinuating that KSE is as destructive a force on the senses as Hellyeah is just plain wrong.

If by "best band ever" in comparison you mean an equally large, though slightly different color, pile of dog shit then you are absolutely correct.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:07 pm 

I wish I had the motivation to work out instead of sitting on the couch with a box of graham crackers and a tub of Halloween sprinkle frosting. I always say I'm gonna get in shape but yeah it never happens ever. I don't habe time before work since I already get up at 3:45am at the latest and then by the time I get home (usually not till after 5pm) I'm just not feelin it. Any tips on how to not be a lazy bastard would be appreciated.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:29 pm 

Everyone keeps asking me if I've been working out. It drives me nuts because I can't tell if it's a nicer way of saying I'm getting fat or if it's because I actually look like I work out, even though all I do is consume carbs and play video games.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:56 pm 

If you're not working out at all, it's probably a nice way of dropping a hint. My family tends to be more blunt - "you really need to lose weight, being fat isn't good for you".

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:18 pm 

So last night I saw High on Fire and Kvertalak: has anyone else caught this tour? Had heard very little of either before, but it was a fun show. I've not seen a band in some so simply dedicated to rocking the hell out as Kvertalak were, though I felt their songs blurred into one another slightly. Considering the style they played there weren't many hooks either, and the short blasting intervals felt a little misplaced at times. Great lead guitars though. HoF were simply crushingly heavy, even their feedback was louder than plenty other bands it seemed. They seemed to me to have a pretty diverse sound: a bunch of punkish Motorhead-like songs, a bunch with a kinda swinging midpaced groove, and then some slower doomier material. He's a great guitarist, and I can certainly see myself checking out their albums at some point.

Vipunen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:26 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Alright, I've officially had it up to here with being a lard ass. Going to the gym every second day now. My gym buddy insists on going at 7:30 in the morning, but eh still worth it I guess. Got my bench up to 150 which still isn't great, but started deadlifting and managed 275 which I'm rather happy about. Forgot how rewarding lifting weights/exercising can be. Only been a week and I already don't feel like shit all the time anymore.

Congratulations on your decision! You definitely won't regret it once you start seeing visible changes.

Stopped drinking/smoking about half a year ago, improved my diet (low carb with 3-4 meals a day atm) and started working out properly. Years of imsomnia, depression and lower back pain? All gone while having put on 20 pounds of healthy weight.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:59 pm 

Marijuana edibles are the best. I never had any fucked up effects from them, just got way, way more stoned than I would from smoking for a much longer time. The only lame part is how long it takes to prepare and how much it smells.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:32 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Marijuana edibles are the best. I never had any fucked up effects from them, just got way, way more stoned than I would from smoking for a much longer time. The only lame part is how long it takes to prepare and how much it smells.

Bingo.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:50 pm 

Cannabis food would probably just give me stomach problems. I'll stick to inhalation.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:03 pm 

pot is for weaklings afraid of hangovers, cancer, organ failure and writing excellent novels.

only pall malls and whiskey are real.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:39 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
I wish I had the motivation to work out instead of sitting on the couch with a box of graham crackers and a tub of Halloween sprinkle frosting. I always say I'm gonna get in shape but yeah it never happens ever. I don't habe time before work since I already get up at 3:45am at the latest and then by the time I get home (usually not till after 5pm) I'm just not feelin it. Any tips on how to not be a lazy bastard would be appreciated.

I've been in pretty shit shape myself for a long time so have started trying to get my shit together lately. Rather than spend forever trying to find ideal workout routines and all that, I just got a stationary bike. I was doing ~4 miles/day, 6 days/week with resistance set at about 12 o'clock. I'd do the first third at ~10 mph, then the middle third at 13-14 mph, then the last third back at 10 mph again. I use Looney Tunes episodes as each of those thirds because I'm a slob and because they seem like a good length to break it up into good chunks. Did that for 4 weeks, then this week I've started setting aside 2 days a week to do 5 segments instead of three, for about 7 miles.

No idea if this is efficient at all, but even in just a month my ability to do the cardio stuff noticeably improved (that first workout was hell, haha). Soon I'll start adding some other stuff into the routine, too. That's just it really - you gotta find something that's decent cardio and just make a routine out of it, and once you get to the point where you're actually capable of decent exercise without keeling over, find other stuff to do that focuses on other muscle groups.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:41 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
pot is for weaklings afraid of hangovers, cancer, organ failure and writing excellent novels.

This is the main reason why Froggo is my favourite poster in here!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:06 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

:thumbsup:

Obligatory Last FM Link

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:16 pm 

Vipunen wrote:
Stopped drinking/smoking about half a year ago, improved my diet (low carb with 3-4 meals a day atm) and started working out properly. Years of imsomnia, depression and lower back pain? All gone while having put on 20 pounds of healthy weight.

Same here: To my horror, I realize I've actually become "that guy".
The infuriatingly energetic and cheerfull guy on a monday morning when everybody else feels like shit biscuits.

And while we're on the topic of fitness, anybody else completely baffled by people who buy a gym membership, live 5 minutes away, and then drive to the gym just to walk on a treadmill for 30 minutes?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:03 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

Substutute whiskey with vodka and you have the ultimate truyh here

On the topic of gyms, you have to eat lke a mofo to grow like a mofo. Unless you are already one
Dystopia4, it took me 1 year to bench 160llbs, ill stab you if you complain about it again :(

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:26 pm 

Vodka :ugh:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:35 pm 

Got to agree there...haven't liked what little I've tried. Right now I'm mostly a beer man anyway.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:38 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

:thumbsdown:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:58 pm 

Marag wrote:
On the topic of gyms, you have to eat lke a mofo to grow like a mofo. Unless you are already one
Dystopia4, it took me 1 year to bench 160llbs, ill stab you if you complain about it again :(

Come at me, bro. :-P

It's just that I used to be able to do 200 and now I'm struggling to do 150 now that I'm getting back into it.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:08 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Vodka :ugh:

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

dystopia4 wrote:
Come at me, bro. :-P
It's just that I used to be able to do 200 and now I'm struggling to do 150 now that I'm getting back into it.

Guess thats one of the downsides of being a living skeleton. 160 is pretty much my bodyweight now, and I used to be skinnier. Though saying "I can bench more than my whole weight!!!" is a good way to impress guillible people. My lifts severely declined after one month of inactivity though, I feel ashamed to lift in public.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 pm 

Haha, well I'm 230 pounds. With muscle, of course (just covered with copious layers of fat).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:25 pm 

I'm 207 pounds of mostly fat. Was about 40 pounds heavier a year ago.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:29 pm 

How tall are yall?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:30 pm 

Not sure which one of us you're talking to, but for me it's six foot even.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:54 pm 

5'6"/120lbs reporting.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:55 pm 

rexxz wrote:
GuntherTheUndying wrote:
:thumbsdown:

:o

Obligatory Last FM Link

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:09 pm 

:drool: New Death Grips album. :drool:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:23 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
How tall are yall?

5'7".

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:26 pm 

Why I'll never loose weight:

Also 5'10'' 185ish lbs.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
How tall are yall?

180 cms.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:46 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Why I'll never loose weight

Weight, you are free now! Run like the wind!
...sorry...

I've never actually worked out per se, I just walk/jog when I have the time, play some basketball every few days, do about 30-50 lifts a day (4-5 days a week) of a 15 pound dumbbell I got lying around and mostly refrain from eating sweets and greasy foods before 12:00 pm and avoid late night snacks. Has worked well enough for me so far.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Last edited by Nochielo on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:47 pm 

So this happened earlier.

I was driving home from work this afternoon and about 10 minutes from the house my entire front left wheel pops right off the car. Was stuck in the breakdown lane for about half an hour before AAA got there and towed it to the mechanic, who diagnosed it as the rim being pretty much on its last legs, leading to the lugs being loose and then breaking off. What he ended up doing was taking the rim from my spare wheel, put the old tire on it since the rubber was good but the rim was shot, and put that on the car, and it now runs smooth and fine with no vibrations or weird feelings. Thankfully he did it free of charge since I both bought the car from him back in July and he's been a friend of the family for a decade. Double thankfully there was no damage to the rotor aside from a superficial scratch due to sliding on the road surface.

Last edited by Subrick on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:49 pm 

New Falkenbach is pretty....eh. Alright, I guess, but the label's description of it as "all-out typical" was fairly accurate. Was hoping for better. Vainly, I suppose.

On a better note, I finally got around to checking out Esoteric's Epistemological Despondency the last couple days. Very cool stuff, worthy of their canon, even if it's a bit formative and "Only Hate (Baresark)" is a bit skip-fodder-ish. Definitely rad to hear them do their thing in a bit drier, more Thergothon-textured context. Nice. I need more death/doom :(. Goes perfectly with the weather going frosty.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:52 pm 

I'd rather listen to "all-out typical" Falkenbach than "all-out unfinished and very boring" Falkenbach like their last album.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 am 

So I'm trying to fix my sleep schedule because waking up at 4pm isn't doing me any favours. I'm hoping I can pull an all nighter and hit the sack by about 8pm tomorrow. Hopefully that gets everything back in order.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:44 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
So I'm trying to fix my sleep schedule because waking up at 4pm isn't doing me any favours. I'm hoping I can pull an all nighter and hit the sack by about 8pm tomorrow. Hopefully that gets everything back in order.

Man that sucks. I was doing 24 hour shifts while serving in the Air Farce as a signaller. Once I got off my shift and had my rest day I could never get to sleep at night and was always knocked out in the day.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337 ... 518  Next