Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
death_roller
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:24 am 

I studied IT management in one of the top universities in my country. Seriously i dont know how i finished it, lot of booze and light drugs especially in senior year, im not native english speaker so if i write some stories down it would be not so readable as post above :) Anyway one short story i banged a girl first day after summer holidays waking up totally smashed just to realize my new roommate was there all the time and he is religious fanatic :) also when he see im metalhead you can imagine how happy he was. Funny thing is that after university these dudes from my class including me who were total maniacs when it come to booze or light drugs and studying have the best jobs right now. And some of the people who could stand as, wont work with us on projects and had best grades ended up pretty bad.

Anyway im pretty sober guy right now, working out 4 times week and my lovely fiance - she is a christian girl from good family :D

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:07 pm 

BSc in Computer Science and Information Systems, studied in the UK (Greenwich, London for a year and then Bristol), for free as a citizen of the EU (tuition fees were introduced one year after I started). During those studies, I took an optional course for Human-Computer Interaction (usability, UI design and evaluation, the science behind ergonomics and UX, that sort of thing) and loved it.

Took an MSc in Information Systems in my hometown, as the university of Crete particularly is a very good one and stumbled upon another HCI course, the Greek version. I took that to enjoy myself. That was in 2004. I ended up acing that course and got an offer to work at my professor's HCI laboratory at the institute of computer science of the research foundation and do my master's thesis with him. I am here since then doing various HCI/UX stuff, doing some research work, reviewing stuff for a journal and a conference.

I have also been senior assistant to the 3 courses my prof teaches for the past 15 years where I do a couple of lectures, some tutorials and coach the students during their project each semester. I really love that aspect of my job.

I am very grateful for my job, as a. I love it and I am very good at it, and b. it pays well during very difficult times in my country. I could make a whole lot more if I left Greece to work for a big firm but I am very happy here and certainly cannot complain at all. HCI was something I heard for the first time looking at the syllabus in 1998 and it clicked right away. Almost unheard of in Greece and I came across one of the very few HCI labs in the country ten minutes from my house. Like I said, I am very grateful.

I've been contemplating for the past 5 years if I should do a PhD.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

PieDirsas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:25 am 

I studied Baltic history in Latvia, but for economical reasons I quit and moved to Finland where I worked in a greenhouse, left that place to learn finnish in a course for foreigners and now i'm looking for a work in industrial or warehouse fields. I'm not sure if I ever go back to uni to finish my degree or start a new one, maybe I will try to get a proffesion in a vocational school.

EphemeralHypostasis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:11 pm 

Currently studying math with half of the credits remaining. So far it hasn't been too difficult, which has given me a lot of free time to do other things. Mostly, I just compose and record music and do informal philosophy. My only malaise is that my peers have not been remotely interesting. A lot of "I am studying STEM for the money" and aspirations to work for Amazon. Unsurprisingly, someone who studies science for complexity's sake will feel ill at ease in [the current year].

Sword of Skelos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:49 am 

One master's in Medieval history and another in library science. Naturally I got a job coordinating renovations.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4