Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:22 pm 

Husbands want their wives to submit; wives want our husbands to dominate.

Men, I know you think your woman isn't the type who wants to be taken. But trust me, she is. Every girl wants to get her hair pulled once in a while. If your wife says "no," turn her around, and rip her clothes off. She wants to be dominated.

I guess she's into hardcore bdsm. If not, maybe law enforcement should launch an investigation.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:53 pm 

I bet she reads Cosmo.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:11 pm 

Domination, hair pulling, and clothes ripping are not hardcore bdsm! Domination and submission are like...the vast majority of sex acts and sexuality. Still, it's terrible advice from a terrible person who undoubtedly reads Cosmo. No means no, discuss sexual wants and needs (<- that's hella important, big reason why people cheat), all that jazz. Husbands raping wives is something that happens a fucking lot...

That being said Jezebel can also suck a dick 80% of the time.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:22 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Obituary and Absu are playing in Rochester. I saw Absu 4 years ago but I have never seen Obituary. I AM BEYOND STOKED!!!

Elements is my second favorite Atheist album. Its awesome. Obviously it cannot compare to Piece of Time which is one of my favorite albums. UP is the only album I don't care for.

I've tried to listen to Elements a few times lately (after not having heard it for years) and it hasn't been clicking. I dunno. Their first two albums are undeniable though. Can't believe people are saying they are overrated in here!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:27 pm 

I've never liked Absu. Listening to them is like trying to eat a chicken wing that doesn't have any meat on it.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:29 pm 

^ you know, oddly enough I find myself in the same boat. I really want to like Absu but I can't quite do it...maybe the epicness of their covers and titles just don't match up to the music...

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:36 pm 

I feel the same way my friend. :P

Black thrash/mythology? Great!!! Oh wait... it sucks.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:47 pm 

Absu has some alright stuff, but never that crazy about them.

So went on a little road trip to Vermont to buy chewing tobacco and so my friend could get a hunting license, and I totally forgot how cheap stuff is down there. Chewing tobaccco was a quarter of the price, alcohol was half or less and even food seemed to be about half of what you'd pay here.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:53 pm 

Did you come to Burlington? That's where I live.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:56 pm 

Nah, we weren't there for all that long.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:57 pm 

I see. Just curious. :P

Montreal is about an hour north and I've never been. I need a passport. Canada sounds great!

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:05 pm 

Which Absu albums are you trying out? The two that fully clicked with me were Tara and The Third Storm of Cythraul. It doesn't get much better than "Highland Tyrant Attack".

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:23 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Domination, hair pulling, and clothes ripping are not hardcore bdsm! Domination and submission are like...the vast majority of sex acts and sexuality. Still, it's terrible advice from a terrible person who undoubtedly reads Cosmo. No means no, discuss sexual wants and needs (<- that's hella important, big reason why people cheat), all that jazz. Husbands raping wives is something that happens a fucking lot...

That being said Jezebel can also suck a dick 80% of the time.

I know, it's just the way she's talking about it. Like it's the most normal thing to let your husband/boyfriend take you whenever he wants. Domination, hair pulling, and all that stuff can be totally healthy if both parties consent. Doing this without your partners complete consent just takes it to a whole other level. But hey, maybe she is actually into all this stuff. More power to her if it's true. She shouldn't however recommend to every single woman as if it's the way to keep yourself a man. Which is also an insult towards us men. :ugh:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:40 pm 

Well, I know it's irritatingly smug sounding and all, but advice columns/books for men always generalise in the same sort of way...."guys, women like it when you do this-or-that thing; if she says this this is really what she means", etc, etc. I wouldn't recommend anybody really waste their time on such people and instead learn from personal experience/observation/their trustworthy friends, etc, but if you're going to take such material to heart, it's just necessary to take it with a helathy amount of salt...

Cythraul from Absu is an amazing album, and it's the only one I regularly go back to. It was hailed almost universally when it came out and I think by now it's attained classic status. They have some other material that's worthy too, especially the first album, but I don't play the other stuff loads.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:15 pm 

I know this is charred horse meat, but .. did Lars Ulrich ever practice? That guy's fucking terrible.

Abominatrix wrote:
Cythraul from Absu is an amazing album, and it's the only one I regularly go back to. It was hailed almost universally when it came out and I think by now it's attained classic status. They have some other material that's worthy too, especially the first album, but I don't play the other stuff loads.

I feel similarly, in that I like portions of every record, not really a "they can do no wrong" fan. Though, I'm an Ioldanach man m'self. But yeah, Cythraul is deeply rad.

edit: also, Cythraul has basically my favorite album cover. That shit is uncalm as fuck.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:25 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I know this is charred horse meat, but .. did Lars Ulrich ever practice? That guy's fucking terrible.

Probably, but his studio stuff is so boring that it shows live.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:46 pm 

He should have remained a tennis player so I had to put up with his bullshit as a tennis fan instead of a metal fan. If he is a good drummer, his compositions certainly don't show it as he is simplistic as heck.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:50 pm 

I think the entire band is to blame, too, though. Sure, Laras's's's's's drumming is generic as fuck... but he isn't exactly working with high art in the first place.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:25 pm 

Creeping Death isn't high art? Are you guys deaf? Or worse- agalloch fans?

He is a simplistic drummer, that's why he fits. Not flashy, just fits the songs and lets the riffs breathe and stand out.. I'll certainly concede he's terrible live though.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:34 pm 

caspian wrote:
Or worse- agalloch fans?

Guilty as charged. :-P

I dunno, I think the simplicity worked with the earlier stuff, but I don't know if it's just me, but he actually seemed to get worse over time.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:35 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
People think Obscura sound Gorguts influenced? Can anyone explain one single they have in common?

HURRR THE NAME MAKES THEM SIMILAR

While vaguely on topic, listen to the solo on Gorguts' "Obscura" and look at the picture of Steve Hurdle below. I can't look at the picture without thinking of that part.

http://youtu.be/W4Cro2yxRjw?t=1m25s

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:41 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
caspian wrote:
Or worse- agalloch fans?

Guilty as charged. :-P

I dunno, I think the simplicity worked with the earlier stuff, but I don't know if it's just me, but he actually seemed to get worse over time.

His work in black album was pretty snooze-inducing, but other than that.. Yeah I dunno, I'm pretty willing to maintain the "simplistic but it works" line throughout the discography. Even Stanger, which I've always considered (drum tone aside) to be his best drumming.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:56 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
^ you know, oddly enough I find myself in the same boat. I really want to like Absu but I can't quite do it...maybe the epicness of their covers and titles just don't match up to the music...

No really odd at all.

THEMICRULAH has been posting nothing but terrible opinions in here. And you have notoriously bad taste so I'd say it all fits.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:57 pm 

Don't you like Grand Theft Auto?

Swish. Nailed.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:00 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Don't you like Grand Theft Auto?

Swish. Nailed.

You are darkeningday.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:25 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

No really odd at all.

THEMICRULAH has been posting nothing but terrible opinions in here. And you have notoriously bad taste so I'd say it all fits.

Wanna do it? I love you long time. Only five dolla.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:36 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:

It's pretty great, but I hate the production. As a layman I would say that the drums are way too loud and on top of that cancel out guitar frequencies.
Actually, scratch that. I just found out that I have a 128 kbps version of the album. :|
Damn you, piracy! Who the fuck even makes these crappy CD rips?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:57 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Well, I know it's irritatingly smug sounding and all, but advice columns/books for men always generalise in the same sort of way...."guys, women like it when you do this-or-that thing; if she says this this is really what she means", etc, etc.

:lol: Maybe, but I seriously doubt they tell people commit rape like this fucking cumbucket literally is.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:01 pm 

Don't see the hate for Absu, they are awesome! Apparently Obituary isn't playing anymore. Beyond dissapointed. They wanted to end the tour on the 20th. COULD MY LIFE GET ANY WORSE.

That Article about the housewife made me sick almost. But I am not gonna get too upset. She can have a shitty relationship with over the top expectations.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 pm 

caspian wrote:
Creeping Death isn't high art? Are you guys deaf?

Oh, you're right. Lars Ulrich was as graceful and swift on the drums during Ride The Lightning as he was during St. Anger. You totally got me.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:09 pm 

No Absu hate - just feel like I haven't found the right one. I WANT TO LIKE IT :cry:

Also, Ride the Lightning is fucking dope and y'all is gay.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:11 pm 

@inhumanist That's pretty much how I felt about it the first couple times I listened to it (and it almost turned me off the album entirely), but I found the experience improved a lot with headphones. I think basically all Absu's stuff sounds better on headphones, because unless you're really at "close range" to the music the drums do tend to predominate the sound stage.

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I feel similarly, in that I like portions of every record, not really a "they can do no wrong" fan. Though, I'm an Ioldanach man m'self. But yeah, Cythraul is deeply rad.

edit: also, Cythraul has basically my favorite album cover. That shit is uncalm as fuck.

I share similar feelings. We share the feelings of which you are speaking. Well, except for your preference for ...Ioldánach. It is a great EP, though I wouldn't rate it higher than Tara, Cythraul, or Abzu. That "Morbid Scream" cover drags down Cythraul a notch... one of the few tracks I have taken the liberty of deleting from an album and continue to happily pretend does not exist :)

The Cythraul cover is easily their best and also easily one of my favorite metal covers. Unfortunately the back cover of the same album is laughably bad. :(

AcidWorm wrote:
He should have remained a tennis player so I had to put up with his bullshit as a tennis fan instead of a metal fan.

Whoa shit, given how pretentious Lars Ulrich already is, imagine how fucking obnoxious he would've been as a tennis star. And as far as his drumming goes, I totally get the "giving the riffs room" angle, but it's just wishful thinking... Lars Ulrich really does just suck. A boring, unimaginative, unskilled, untalented drummer. Calling it like I (we) (all) (except caspian) see it here.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:33 pm 

THIS. IS. THE HIGHLAND TYRANT ATTACK. Amazing.

Regardless of how shitty Lars is, those early Metallica albums are brilliant, particularly Ride the Lightning I would say.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:00 pm 

Yeah, Ride the Lightning is still great despite Lars.

Let's put it this way... Lars doesn't always hurt, but he rarely helps.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 pm 

Just came back from Argentina after almost circling through the entire country. Pretty cool place would visit again. But damn airports and planes suck so much. Lost about 3 full days worth of time just checking in, checking out, getting fondled by the security, etc.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:05 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
No Absu hate - just feel like I haven't found the right one. I WANT TO LIKE IT :cry:

Also, Ride the Lightning is fucking dope and y'all is gay.

Try Abzu. I feel the exact same way as you about the rest of their discography, but that album just clicked for me.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:07 pm 

I was going to recommend that one for the Frog as well. Give it a shot, bro, I think you'll dig the finale particularly.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:11 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
THIS. IS. THE HIGHLAND TYRANT ATTACK. Amazing.

Regardless of how shitty Lars is, those early Metallica albums are brilliant, particularly Ride the Lightning I would say.

*insert obligatory accusation of stealing riffs here*

But yeah, easily the best Metallica album there is. Kill 'Em All is close, and No Life 'Til Leather is closer, but Ride the Lightning is the reigning champion.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 pm 

This is some of the dumbest shit I have ever read.

Quote:
Amalaha says his "groundbreaking" experiments show the north and south poles of two magnets are attracted to each other while same poles repel each other.

He concludes this “means that man cannot attract another man because they are the same, and a woman should not attract a woman because they are the same. That is how I used physics to prove gay marriage wrong".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09 ... reloaded=1

The University of Lagos is praising this post-graduate student and is now going to be the laughing stock of the global scientific community.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
This is some of the dumbest shit I have ever read.

Quote:
Amalaha says his "groundbreaking" experiments show the north and south poles of two magnets are attracted to each other while same poles repel each other.

He concludes this “means that man cannot attract another man because they are the same, and a woman should not attract a woman because they are the same. That is how I used physics to prove gay marriage wrong".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09 ... reloaded=1

The University of Lagos is praising this post-graduate student and is now going to be the laughing stock of the global scientific community.

Couldn't you use that same logic to "prove" that people of the same ethnicity shouldn't marry either?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 518  Next