Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thrashmaniac111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:22 am 

I know that there's already been one of these threads, but it's been a while.
What model of headphones do you use? I personally use my Turtle Beach X1 ($50) which I had bought for Xbox Live. I don't want to spend a lot and they're the best thing that I have.
A condom is like the government because it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed, and breaks when you most need it.

TheGravelord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:42 am 

Since my Skullcandies broke(they were pieces of shit my friend gave me anyway), I've been using my stock Ipod headphones, but considering that I mostly listen to music on speakers that have pretty good quality(they're from Bose) it's not that big of a deal.

edit: The skullcandies sounded pretty good though. They just broke after like 6 months. I guess thats what you get when you use trendy products...

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:47 am 

Sony MDR-V900HD. Worth every penny. My last set made it four years before the ear foam started breaking down. They are always with me and I'm rough on my toys so four years is saying something.

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:29 am 

Sennheiser HD202's, they are the best headphones I have ever have, they sound great, make background noise inaudible and have lasted longer than any set I've ever had.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:53 am 

Anything made by Grado is the best for metal, from popular opinion and my experience.

NikeOfSamothrace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:14 am 

I use anything that's available. Sometimes I have to keep switching headphones because one of my siblings ends up doing something to it (don't know what) that they get frayed, or one of the head phones end up not working.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:21 am 

I use Sony MDR-XB500s at home and Sennheiser CX-200s everywhere else. Both decent quality for a pretty low price.

Carbone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:22 am 

Bose QC2 Headphones. A little overpriced (I didn't know any better at the time), but the sound is still really fucking good. They are also very comfortable, and have lasted me a fairly long time, with no signs of putting out any time soon.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:28 am 

Affliction wrote:
Sennheiser HD202's, they are the best headphones I have ever have, they sound great, make background noise inaudible and have lasted longer than any set I've ever had.

Ordered these couple of weeks ago. Still haven't received them, really looking forward to using it.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:19 am 

I have a pair of Jabra C820S noise cancelling headphones. Very comfortable, excellent frequency range, very clear sound. Average price is about $150, but I'm sure they can be found much cheaper if you shop around.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:39 am 

Expedience wrote:
Anything made by Grado is the best for metal, from popular opinion and my experience.

Grado headphones are simply the best in all areas (well, except for price ;) )

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:10 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Expedience wrote:

Grado headphones are simply the best in all areas (well, except for price ;) )

Only their sound is very coloured (though it's a good colour) so I'm not sure they're great for classical.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:13 pm 

Depends on which one you use, I guess. I've used the PS1000i and they are the best I've ever used, probably the only set of phones I would recommend for mixing. No coloration in those at all.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:14 pm 

Beyerdynamic DT250s for mixing (the best monitor headphones under £500 you could ever purchase), some cheap ass Sony in ear ones for mp3 player etc.

Artemus_Cain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:26 pm 

Sony makes there really good black earbuds that are really great quality, not to expensive, and recently have a volume adjuster.

OH GOOD LORD I'M HEAVING AND HORKING

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:12 pm 

Every time I buy a pair of Skullcandies, they break within 4-6 months. They sound is good quality, but I have to replace them so often. Even the iPod headphones last longer. What are some good headphones under 60 dollarrs?

woeoftyrants
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:51 pm 

I'm not too much of a stickler when it comes to headphones.

For home listening and getting in-depth with an album, I use Sony MDR V-150s. The sound frequency is fairly balanced for $20, but the treble could be a little sharper for my taste.

My earbuds are JVC Marshmallows, also $20. The noise isolation is pretty good, and the sound spectrum is very balanced if a little bass-heavy.

thrashmaniac111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:32 am 

I need some decent earbuds. Big gaming headsets aren't too bad for home, but need usb power and therefore aren't portable. I'll end up getting something decent soon.
A condom is like the government because it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed, and breaks when you most need it.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:55 am 

I've got 50% of some Zune earbuds and 50% of Koss Portapro's hooked up to a splitter. Truly ghetto rigged.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:57 am 

MaliciousAwesome wrote:
I've got 50% of some Zune earbuds and 50% of Koss Portapro's hooked up to a splitter. Truly ghetto rigged.

Ghetto? That's like underfunded-guerrilla-revolutionary-activist poor. Government take too much of your money that you can't afford $3 earbuds?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:59 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
MaliciousAwesome wrote:

Ghetto? That's like underfunded-guerrilla-revolutionary-activist poor. Government take too much of your money that you can't afford $3 earbuds?

Dude, 3$ headphones sound like shit.
These don't sound like shit.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:39 am 

Sennheiser HD 280 pro when i'm doing radio or at home, too big and pricey to walk around and abuse. Amazing headphones and i've yet to personally hear any better.

http://computershopleerdam.nl/images/Se ... %20Pro.jpg

I normally have a $20 or less pair for my everyday adventures, although the way i go through headphones they typically last 4 months or so.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:29 am 

I use Monster Turbines. These are by far the best IEM's I've used (especially at their price range; $150), even topping Shure's SE420s, though I haven't had a chance to hear the 530s.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:46 pm 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826159052

Has anyone ever used some as ridiculously priced as this? I feel like it hits a certian point where there's little to no difference from something like 500 headphones to 700

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:05 pm 

i use pretty much anything i can find.. I don't have sensitive ears, I suppose, because pretty much all headphones work for me. My mp3 player does have the annoying tendency to randomly stop working on one of the sides of the headphones after a couple of months (even though the same headphones always work fine with anything else) so I've gone through a lot over the years...

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:11 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
I feel like it hits a certian point where there's little to no difference from something like 500 headphones to 700

I see most high end audio equipment like this. Sure $500 speakers probably do sound better than $150 speakers, but I doubt it's $350 worth of difference.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:28 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
FleshMonolith wrote:
I feel like it hits a certian point where there's little to no difference from something like 500 headphones to 700

I see most high end audio equipment like this. Sure $500 speakers probably do sound better than $150 speakers, but I doubt it's $350 worth of difference.

It depends on the medium, as i can tell you a $400 record player is far superior to a $200, but that's at a low level. When you're pushing around with the big boys, it seems like a moot point. I've heard this about computer screens and televisions as that there is a maximum amount of frames the human eye can process at a second, so some monitors/tvs that boast huge frame rates have no impact because you physically cannot process them.

Cianyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:27 am 

Expedience wrote:

Yeap. I've got a pair of MS-1's. Enjoying every bit of it

Here's my AD700. It's meant for classical but Lo-fi BM works just as well. Brings out mids and high pretty well. Virtually no bass but tons of bands mix out the bass anyway.

Coincidentally, someone else took a photo of them both in one so I guess that saves me time.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:39 am 

I've had my Sennheiser HD555's for a few years now and they're still working great. I didn't know that the old TV in my room has an audio jack for headphones until a year or two ago, ever since then I have never looked back and always use them while gaming and whatnot. Definitely worth every penny.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:33 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Has anyone ever used some as ridiculously priced as this? I feel like it hits a certian point where there's little to no difference from something like 500 headphones to 700

Only Stax are real.

Grado, Ultrasone, AKG, and Denon all have some pretty pricey sets, but the top-tier Stax are double the price of the others, if not more.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:17 am 

Cianyx wrote:

Except the flimsy build. My right can drops off the holder all the time and it's hard to put back on, it's really annoying. I'm thinking of gluing it.

Sweet photo, by the way. I've wanted to hear the AD700 for a while now.

Malician
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:37 am 

AppleQueso wrote:
FleshMonolith wrote:

Headphones sound way better than speakers at the same price point (absent speaker soundstage and chest thumping bass). 1/7 the cost is a common figure.

That means $150 headphones are pretty friggin' good (not HD580, but nice) but $150 speakers are very low-end.

Cianyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:52 am 

Expedience wrote:
Cianyx wrote:

Except the flimsy build. My right can drops off the holder all the time and it's hard to put back on, it's really annoying. I'm thinking of gluing it.

Sweet photo, by the way. I've wanted to hear the AD700 for a while now.

Haha, they do look pretty flimsy. No troubles with mine as of yet.

Also, AD700s are great but pity it lacks in the electronic based music department. I'm looking into some Denons for that. Either that, or I'll save up for a pair of AKGs

Scrabsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:08 am 

TheGravelord wrote:
The skullcandies sounded pretty good though. They just broke after like 6 months. I guess thats what you get when you use trendy products...

God, they are so badly made. My friend bought a pair once and they literally fell apart on his head. What a waste of money...

Cianyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:14 pm 

Scrabsy wrote:
TheGravelord wrote:
The skullcandies sounded pretty good though. They just broke after like 6 months. I guess thats what you get when you use trendy products...

God, they are so badly made. My friend bought a pair once and they literally fell apart on his head. What a waste of money...

That's where their lifetime warranty helps =P Either way, still doesn't change their terrible sound quality

NJdEvil508
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:33 pm 

Skullcandies are pure shit. My god, I can't stress how bad they are. I was stupid for using them. I bought the full metal jacket ones for 50 bucks (a rip off considering they were pure shit). They had decent to pretty good sound quality, but they broke in a month. ONE MONTH!! So I was mailed a new one and they broke even faster that time!! Then I tried their icon product for $25 and you guess what happened. I should gave up... I know, I was stupid. And their life time warranty doesn't mean shit. What's the point if they break every month, then you gotta wait another couple months to be mailed a new one. This just makes me so angry.

I recommend going with those black sony earbuds because they got quality sound and you won't have to dig too deep in your pocket either.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:26 pm 

Dude... ripping on Skullcandies then recommending goddamn SONYs is a little hypocritical.

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:39 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
Affliction wrote:

Ordered these couple of weeks ago. Still haven't received them, really looking forward to using it.

Have they arrived yet?

NJdEvil508
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:51 pm 

Expedience wrote:
Dude... ripping on Skullcandies then recommending goddamn SONYs is a little hypocritical.

No man. They lasted a lot longer. The only reason they broke is because I fell asleep on them. lol

Stronthor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:21 pm 

I've got a Technics RP-DJ1210. extremely durable and very good and clear sound, albeit a little coloured towards the bottom end of the spectrum. has seen some heavy use every day for about the last 2,5 years and not even a single scratch on it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next