Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
icecoldsoul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:56 pm 

i would love to go there, my parents are considering sending me there as my present for my high school graduation, i hope they actually go through with it because the lineup is great, i could do without pelican though

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:22 pm 

oogboog wrote:
I know, but I don't want to come home with a gash on my face and everyone asking what I got it from. I have a confined social life, so answering tends to be a bit uncomfortable.

Tell them you fell off your bike. Problem solved.

Obligatory Last FM Link

The Prophet Muhammad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:33 pm 

Aosoth and Carcass pretty much does it for me.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:54 pm 

Wait, Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Vinterland? They're still alive?!

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:10 am 

I bet an Antaeus live performance is fucking grueling. What a brutal, blistering sound. Would love to see/hear it live.

And yeah, that's a pretty awesome lineup so far. Carcass! Convulse! Antaeus! Pelican!
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:13 pm 

I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be awesome if they could get Virus. Czral's Virus, of course.

CockerDaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:42 pm 

I've lived in Maryland for two years, but this will (probably) be my first MDF. Lookin' great so far! No idea where they'd move it though, unless they rented out a couple clubs around Ram's Head or something.

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:40 pm 

The most recent MDF was my first and I had a blast to say the least, and with the way this line-up is shaping up, 2013 should be no different. Carcass, Repulsion, Pagan Altar, Pig Destroyer, Pentagram and Loss will all be a treat, but I never thought I would ever have the opportunity to see Vinterland or Convulse. I'm also curious to see what they get as far as a new venue. The Sonar was cool, but I thought the sound on the indoor stages was kinda poopy.

CockerDaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 pm 

sabbathfan4993 wrote:
I'm also curious to see what they get as far as a new venue. The Sonar was cool, but I thought the sound on the indoor stages was kinda poopy.

Yeah Sonar's sound was pretty shitty. Still sad to see it go however.

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:35 pm 

Rusted and Rotting wrote:
I bet an Antaeus live performance is fucking grueling. What a brutal, blistering sound. Would love to see/hear it live.

And yeah, that's a pretty awesome lineup so far. Carcass! Convulse! Antaeus! Pelican!

Yeah man, caught Antaeus down in Texas while piss drunk and whenever I'd come into focus Id see that drummer just going fuckn' ballistic. Probobly the most intense drummer I've witnessed in person, just an onslaught. A buddy of mine came out of the venue and showed me a bloody hand and said he spazzed out and punched a concrete wall because they really got inside his head. Lol
I would enjoy going this year depends on how well I abuse my current provinces awesome economy though. If I do go I think I'll bring a crowbar or a hammer, sounds like there have been some of the scummier members of the local population preying on people who dont quite have their bearings :roll:
Other than that though I hear if you have decent attitude and aren't 100% socially retarded the city is rather hospitable.

CockerDaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:14 pm 

5 more bands have been confirmed for for MDF XI:

EXODUS
BENEDICTION (UK) - Exclusive US show!
IHSAHN (Norway) - Exclusive US show!
INIQUITY (Denmark) - Exclusive US show!
GLORIOR BELLI - Exclusive US show!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:18 pm 

Yes to Iniquity!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:08 pm 

And FUCK yes to Ihsahn. Holy shit! So awesome.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:46 am 

What do you like about Ihsahn? Been pretty underwhelmed by what I've heard.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:53 am 

Only Venom and Integrity this year? The previous years had great bands, whats going on this year?

:panda:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

CockerDaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:01 am 

Nahsil wrote:

I personally am excited about Ihsahn. I feel that his stuff just covers a variety of emotions in a way that I don't often hear in metal. After particularly blew me away, while just laying back and absorbing it. I can see why someone might not be too crazy about it, but I've loved most of what he's done with this band so far.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:49 am 

I saw Ihsahn was announced and now it's set for me. There's no better musician for me personally and the first time I saw him he blew me away. Vinterland and Venom will also be very much worth it for me to go. It will be very interesting to see who else gets added.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:32 pm 

Wow... and only 3 1/2 hours away. I have a buddy who lives right outside of town... I may have to make an appearence. Decent line up so far. Excited to see who else gets confirmed!

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:06 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

Along with more or less echoing the sentiment of the guys who posted after you, I'll just say that even if you're not a huge fan of his solo stuff its still a treat to get to see the mastermind behind one of the best Black Metal bands ever. His solo stuff is basically just an extension the direction he was taking Emperor and if the progressive nature of it isn't your cup of tea, I understand, but for me, he's shown improvement on each and every single album and I enjoy all of them. Still coming to terms with what I think about his new album, but After was superb.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:59 am 

Maryland Deathfest wrote:
10 more bands confirmed for MDF XI!

BOLT THROWER (UK) - Headlining the Thursday show!
SLEEP
CARPATHIAN FOREST (Norway) - Exclusive US appearance!
REVENGE (Canada) - Exclusive US appearance!
ABIGAIL (Japan)
CRUCIAMENTUM (UK)
ANHEDONIST
SPEEDWOLF
AMBASSADOR GUN
ASTHMA CASTLE

https://www.facebook.com/MarylandDeathfest/posts/442878295750680

Now I absolutely have to go.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 pm 

Does this mean Americans will finally shut up about Bolt Thrower not playing there? :D

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:37 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Does this mean Americans will finally shut up about Bolt Thrower not playing there? :D

No, I'd like to see them play every other month, performing two albums in their entirety at a time.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:17 pm 

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn, fuckin' Americans.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:23 pm 

BOLT THROWER!!!

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 pm 

Just saw this. So sold it hurts. I was planning on going anyways, but now... wow.

My only fear is that there are too many good bands. They'll start to overlap!

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:41 pm 

Sleep! This is gonna be epic.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:08 pm 

Starwind wrote:
Just saw this. So sold it hurts. I was planning on going anyways, but now... wow.

My only fear is that there are too many good bands. They'll start to overlap!

I'm worried about this too. Having to split my time this year between Artillery and Negura Bunget really sucked. Hopefully they arrange it a bit better next year.

That said: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! Best lineup I've ever seen. MDF is really getting some nice variety these days. I love that they're adding older, traditional bands like Manilla Road and Pagan Altar, throwing in some classic thrash, AND keeping a lot of black and death metal bands too. I'd get sick of pure death/grind for four days straight.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:21 pm 

ok i wanted to go to mdf 2014. But i might aswell try to go to this.

Orkblut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:01 am 

Vinterland??? FUCK! Looks like a killer line-up. Would love to see Vinterland, they produced some of the best 90's Swedish black metal in my opinion. Wonder if they will do any europe festivals, im hopefully heading over for a few next year.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:53 pm 

How much do tickets for this usually run?

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:11 am 

I think last year was 140ish for a 4-day pass. Can't remember, though.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:44 pm 

Starwind wrote:

Thanks! I was expecting somewhat higher... I'm still not sure if I will be able to get off work for four straight days. I'm waiting to see the lineup for each day before I get too excited.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:55 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Starwind wrote:

Thanks! I was expecting somewhat higher... I'm still not sure if I will be able to get off work for four straight days. I'm waiting to see the lineup for each day before I get too excited.

4 Day Passes were $180 last year.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:37 am 

Motorpriest wrote:
4 Day Passes were $180 last year.

Still... Considering the quality of the bands that are playing this year, $200 would still be a good price. Seeing some of these bands on their own headlining tours can be around forty to fifty bucks.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:34 pm 

I'm sure most people who would care have heard already, but in case you haven't:

Quote:
We're a day early with this announcement, but we can finally let you know where MDF XI will be taking place.

In a nutshell, we will be returning to the property formerly known as Sonar, and will be at least doubling the amount of outside space that we've been used to utilizing. We realize that it's a bit of a mind fuck to wait around for a few months just to hear that the fest is returning to the same place, but truth be told, the other places we looked at were either not able to give us a definite answer anytime soon, and/or had too many inconveniences that we did not want to put the fans through. During the venue search, it was brought to our attention that the new owners of the property were willing to collaborate with us, so we decided to go through with returning to a familiar place that is close to the hotels and conveniences of downtown Baltimore.

The additional space outside will allow us to comfortably accommodate the crowd, and will allow more room for the MDF vendor village, food vendors/food trucks, places to sit, and other new additions like misting tents to escape the possibility of it being hotter than it should be that weekend. There will be two outside stages plus the stage inside. Due to the new configuration outside, the placement of the outside stages will likely be different.
As for the building itself, there are some renovations currently taking place, but the rooms will be used exactly how they have been in the past, and it will be air conditioned throughout.

We would also like to announce the addition of a second inside stage at Baltimore Soundstage, which is a 1/2 mile walk away from the former Sonar (at 124 Market Place), and will be used from Friday-Sunday. This will be a smaller show without a barricade that will feature mostly hardcore and punk bands, and it will be scheduled in a way that should not conflict with anything going on at the former Sonar compound. All of the bands for this stage will be included in next week's announcement on October 9th.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 pm 

Awesome news. I would have missed the Sonar location.

CockerDaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 pm 

Soundstage is a pretty cool, intimate venue. Saw Devin Townsend there last year.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 pm 

CockerDaniel wrote:
Soundstage is a pretty cool, intimate venue. Saw Devin Townsend there last year.

It actually opens up to a much bigger space, though. I saw Rhapsody there a few months ago. The wall along the back was actually fabric. Pull back and, voila, there was like quadruple the space there. Talking to some of the staff there, they move the wall depending on ticket sales.

CockerDaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:09 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
CockerDaniel wrote:

It actually opens up to a much bigger space, though. I saw Rhapsody there a few months ago. The wall along the back was actually fabric. Pull back and, voila, there was like quadruple the space there. Talking to some of the staff there, they move the wall depending on ticket sales.

Oh yeah, that's true. I could see Devin talking with the VIP meet n greet people back there before the show, but it was left closed that night.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:11 pm 

With the Sonar being announced as the venue, we have booked the Tremont as the hotel where we will cram a bunch of Chicago people into one room for the weekend! Can't wait!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next