Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:23 am 

This is pretty much the perfect lineup. It's decided that Myself and the bassist from my band are both going.

This is going to rule so hard. Even if it's over half a year away, I'm already excited.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am 

I'm in. Booked hotel. Waiting to buy tickets. Entire trip was a gift from the wife. Lucky man.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:42 pm 

I guess I luck out. I don't even need to book a hotel. A good friend of mine lives about 10 minutes out of the city! Free lodging for the weekend!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:47 am 

Can a mod please edit the newly added bands to the OP? Just a bit inconvenient to have to search through the whole thread to know who's playing.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:07 am 

It feels like Christmas morning, waiting for this announcement. I did hear that The Melvins and Cobalt are supposed to be on it though.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:12 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
... Cobalt

Yeah, it looks like they've been confirmed today. Very exciting news for a fanboy like myself.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:30 pm 

Seeing Evoken & Cobalt really excited me. The Obsessed are great too, and I've been meaning to check out Ufomammut.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 pm 

Very disappointed with this announcement. Evoken are cool, but the rest of them.... =[ Oh well, the rest of the lineup is sick, and having a few 'down' bands will give me more time to spend my money on things.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:07 pm 

Looking to be an amazing time. I get my paid time off and I turn 21 a week and a half before. The Baltimore Soundstage line-up looks amazing. Citizen's Arrest, Infest, Iron Lung, Eddie Brock, Weekend Nachos and Sete Star Sept? Going to be moshing all over the place.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:31 pm 

4 day pass with Soundstage pass purchased! 220 days left!!!

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:00 pm 

I'm gonna get a 4-day pass sometime this week, the lineup looks amazing.

BoltTheGates
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:51 pm 

OceanOfViolence wrote:
4 day pass with Soundstage pass purchased! 220 days left!!!

Same here.

Also, I booked my hotel room a few days ago. I'm staying at the Brookshire Suites. Anybody else staying there? It's closer to the Soundstage venue than Sonar, but if you book your room with Mastercard, you get the fourth night of your stay free (about $90/night before taxes).

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:20 pm 

Quote:
Due to the limited amount of tickets available for Soundstage (1,000/day between all ticket options), and the fact that we've had an enormous amount of tickets orders come in today, the 4-day pass that covers all bands at both venues will likely be sold out sometime this evening. We knew they'd sell fast, but we didn't expect them to last only 1 day. In fairness to those that want to see only specific bands at Soundstage, several hundred single day tickets for each day there will go on sale before the end of the month for $20/day.

Thursday only tickets and the 4-day pass for the former Sonar should last at least a week or two, but we don't know for sure. We'll flick on the warning siren when the time comes.

http://www.marylanddeathfest.com/

FUCK! IT'S ONLY BEEN A DAY, WHY DO I HAVE TO BE BROKE.

CockerDaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:50 pm 

Got 4-day pass sans-Soundstage (sold-out...). Based on which bands play which days at Soundstage, I'll probs get individual day tix for that venue.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:05 am 

I'm planning on getting a single day ticket for the Soundstage for whatever day Tragedy ends up playing.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:24 pm 

I got the 4-Day pass without Soundstage. The pass with Soundstage had already sold out by the time I had a chance to buy tix and, besides, I didn't really feel the need to see any of the bands on Soundstage. It would have been nice to see Rotten Sound again, though.

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:13 pm 

Fuck! This shit's selling so fast. I saw that the four-day passes had sold out last night, so I was gonna come home to order a three-day and a Thursday pass separately, but by the time I got home Thursday had already sold out. Fuck again! I'll stomp babies if I have to miss Bolt Thrower a second time.

I've got the better part of a year to secure either a Thursday pass or a four-day pass second-hand, but still... if anyone's not sold on Thursday's lineup, or has to sell their tickets, send me a PM.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:05 am 

I jumped on Thursday-only tickets the minute I heard that 4-day passes had sold out and I'm glad I did because apparently the Thursday tickets sold out shortly thereafter. I don't know if 3-day passes will sell very quickly, so I'm gonna hold off a bit on buying 3-day passes until I've got a little more disposable income.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 am 

I'm glad I bought my 4 Day Sonar pass when I did, my buddy is now stuck without a Thursday pass. I plan on helping him look for one until we find one, so if anyone has a Thursday Only ticket they are looking to sell at some point, please PM me.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:24 pm 

Quote:
Due to the overwhelming demand for Thursday tickets, specifically to see Bolt Thrower, we have contacted the band who are now looking into the possibility of playing a second set at MDF between Friday-Sunday.

If a second set happens, we'll let you know very soon, but do keep in mind that it would also be an inside show. The band prefers to play inside, which is why we scheduled them to headline Thursday to begin with.

Nobody, including ourselves or Bolt Thrower, expected tickets for Thursday to sell out (in only 3 days), so we are doing what we can for those of you who missed out on a ticket, and those that have 4 day passes will have an opportunity to see them twice.

And just to reiterate some other news from earlier:

Regarding Soundstage ticket availability - If you did not get a multi-day pass that covers Soundstage access, we will be releasing single day tickets for each day on October 31st, which is when a list of bands for each day of the festival will be posted. Consider this a fair warning if you still want access to the bands at Soundstage. Will these sell out? Yes. Will they sell out in a matter of days? We have no idea. Just go to the website on October 31st and get single day tickets for Soundstage if you want to be on the safe side.

The 3 Day Pass for the former Sonar is NOT expected to sell out anytime soon, so there is no need to panic.

Some of the hotels we've been in touch with aren't giving much of shit for a discount, so we're still working on it. When we have some news in this department, we'll post it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:19 pm 

Through my bitter eyes, the ticket situation has just become rather humorous to me. Within 24 hrs of the fest ending this past May, me and a friend were saying how the next obvious evolution of the fest at this point would be to move it to a camp ground and do things like they do in Europe. Sure enough, that's become painfully true within the last week. Tickets have sold like they've never sold before, leaving hundreds of would be customers more or less out of luck. Its my thinking they may have even looked into the campground idea, but due to how much it would cost them and the fact that the new owners at the Sonar location were willing to host the fest again, they decided to stick with what they know and whats easiest. I think its clear now that they should have spent the extra money and taken this thing to the next level, because the outpouring I've seen by people upset that the fest sold out so quickly has been massive. This is the first public forum where I've yapped at all about it but needless to say, me and my friends are pretty bummed. Been going for 5 years and it looks like we're gonna have to miss out this time around. Really sucks.

On another, pissy note, I partly blame this on the extent to which the fest is becoming inclusive of acts that aren't particularly "extreme" metal. Pelican? Down? What the fuck is that? A random sideshow stage that features hardcore and punk exclusively? Um, what. Its the DEATHfest. And if you are going to make it this inclusive, then uh, guess what, you need to do it like they do in Europe cause venues in a city can't hold that many people. This year is looking like a case in point.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:03 am 

MazeofTorment wrote:
On another, pissy note, I partly blame this on the extent to which the fest is becoming inclusive of acts that aren't particularly "extreme" metal. Pelican? Down? What the fuck is that? A random sideshow stage that features hardcore and punk exclusively? Um, what. Its the DEATHfest. And if you are going to make it this inclusive, then uh, guess what, you need to do it like they do in Europe cause venues in a city can't hold that many people. This year is looking like a case in point.

I don't think thousands of people are going to MDF to see Down and Pelican. Pretty sure Bolt Thrower, Venom and Carcass (among others) are the reasons that tickets sold so fast.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:40 pm 

If you don't want to go to the hardcore stage, then don't go. I don't see the point in complaining about something you don't have to pay for, especially since its at a completely different venue, so there's less people competing for the same tickets. The only thing that seems to concern you that is really sold out is Thursday, which as OceanofViolence said, is because of Bolt Thrower. Three day passes are still available, and aren't selling out anytime soon apparently.

And camping is a terrible idea. The way MDF has been works out just fine.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:22 pm 

Figured that would be the reaction of some guys on here, but I stand by my words. The last portion of my post was the most subjective of my complaints but generally speaking, it HAS gotten exponentially more popular within the last 2 years and its not all that fair for the tickets to be so exclusive. Why is a camp ground such a terrible idea? I've heard people say this and I still don't understand it. How is more space a bad idea? Oh and btw, the thursday line up is just dumb. Its probably the best day of the fest and its....the pre fest? What? I'm sorry guys, but this whole thing just stinks of bad planning and organization, in my view. I might still end up going with a 3 day pass, but even so, this thing is clearly expanding beyond its means and it needs more air to breathe. Its inevitable that it will become a European style outdoors festival unless there's some crazy restriction I'm not aware of.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:50 pm 

Haha, last time Bolt Thrower played two times too. They sure make people go crazy here.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:13 pm 

Seeing Bolt Thrower back to back nights was the SHIT. Anyway, I'm thinking I might still grab a three day pass and try to hunt down a thursday ticket. Obviously I've been pretty bitter about shit, but I'm thinking its probably not worth missing out on a great time and its still probably manageable, just might cost a bit more.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:32 pm 

Yeah I was there too, man was I surprised to know they'd be the ones to replace Pestilence. I was coming over from D666 and there they were, playing. And the pit was almost dangerous.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:43 pm 

From the MDF facebook page:

"After a meeting at the venue today with a few other key characters, we're looking into the possibility of expanding the capacity of the Thursday show, which would allow us to sell approximately 500 more tickets for that day. We will not have a definite answer about this for another 1-2 weeks, but we are in the middle of working on it. If the expansion for Thursday happens, there will NOT be any se
cond sets performed by anyone. You will simply have an opportunity to get a ticket for Thursday if you were unable to get one last week. In the meantime, please be patient.

Also, we'll probably have a list of who is playing each day finished before the weekend, several days ahead of schedule, and if so, we'll just post that info when it is ready. Single day tickets for either the former Sonar or Baltimore Soundstage will still go on sale on October 31st at 10:00 am EST."
------------------

Glad to hear that they're doing this but those tickets will sell SO fast. Gonna have to watch their page like a hawk over the next couple weeks.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:13 pm 

I just confirmed that Mike Amott is not playing with Carcass at MDF - apparently he left the band in 2010.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:10 am 

If Hail Of Bullets was going to be there again I'd seriously consider flying cross-country to see this festival for the first time. As it stands, there simply are far too few bands I care about and not a single one that I'd make a concerted effort to go see if they played local. This bill is seriously missing the quality - a big step down from last year's bill.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:53 am 

ralfikk123 wrote:
Why won't Bolt Thrower play?!?!?!?

Manilla Road and Bolt Thrower at the same gig is just too much cool for this board to handle.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:33 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I just confirmed that Mike Amott is not playing with Carcass at MDF - apparently he left the band in 2010.

Yeah I heard rumors back in September that him and the drummer are out of Carcass altogether now. I didn't believe it until there was legitimate proof, but more people found out over time and now their page on here has only Bill and Jeff listed as the members.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:32 am 

So I gotta ask, if I get the Thursday tickets that are coming out the 15th am I gonna be stuck a mile from the stage?

(It should be noted all my prior gig experiences involve bars, so I'm a little in the dark how these big shows work.)

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:33 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
So I gotta ask, if I get the Thursday tickets that are coming out the 15th am I gonna be stuck a mile from the stage?

(It should be noted all my prior gig experiences involve bars, so I'm a little in the dark how these big shows work.)

Nope, it's general admission.

epicandrew
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:12 pm 

I'll definitely be there.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:31 pm 

Another round of 4-day tix + Thursday tix were released today and quickly sold out. 150 more single-day tickets for Thursday will be available on February 4th.

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:10 am 

Just a little over a month to go before this thing kicks off. Let's revive this thread and get the hype train rolling.

Who are you looking forward to the most? Excited for any specific merch?

I ended up getting my hands on a four day all access pass a few months ago. Thursday's one-two Cobalt/Bolt Thrower punch is going to leave me aching after the first night. Saturday's particularly stacked, too. Benediction/Convulse/Hellshock/Tragedy/Repulsion/Carcass... goddamn. I'm worrying about overlap, especially between Soundstage and Sonar. Not looking forward to running those few blocks in the humid, choking hot cesspit known as Baltimore (sorry Baltimore residents), just to minimize downtime. Ryan and Evan said there won't be overlap between stages, but I don't see how that's even possible.

As for merch, I've been counting the bands I want shirts from and pre-emptively weeping for my wallet. I'm probably going to have to be a bit more selective than I'd like, partly because I'm running out of room for band shirts in my closet, and partly because I need to make it back on the plane without hitting weight/room/customs restrictions. With that said, I'm hoping that none of the bands I'm stoked to buy merch from pull a Godflesh and show up without any. I understand there are economics that come into play and such, but it was a bit disappointing to be unable to buy a shirt from a band on their first North American date in 16 years or whatever.

Then there's the lovely (cough) city herself. Has anyone here been to Sonar since the management change? Any big changes? Is it cleaner? Dirtier? (Is that possible?) Anyone know any good places to buy beer within walking distance of the Sonar or inner harbour? I went to Urban Cellars a few times last year, as well as the odd corner store. UC had some good selection, but was a bit more on the expensive side. Also: ear plugs. I'm assuming the Side Bar will be selling them again. I hope so, at least. I have no fucking clue where else to get them.

Any survival tips/horror stories/recommended places of interest are also welcome. Definitely beneficial to newcomers and returning fans alike; Baltimore can be both a beautiful and terrifying place.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:57 pm 

Oh yes indeed it can be terrifying.
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Reed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:27 pm 

Set Times announced:

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/04 ... es-by-day/

See ya'll SUNDAY 1:50-2:25pm. Bring a hangover.

literamaniac91
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:07 pm 

Excited for this, managed to build a 4-day all access pass piece by piece after sleeping on getting one back in October. Originally only had a Soundstage pass primarily to catch Infest and Iron Lung but after seeing how much downtime there was between bands at Soundstage and realizing there was no way in hell I was gonna miss Carcass, Bolt Thrower and Pentagram, I got a 3-day Sonar pass and one of the last-minute Thursday tickets that got released a few weeks ago.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next