Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:00 pm 

I'll get the ball rolling for Arizona

Tempe

910 Live
Outdoor venue with an inside/outside bar that caters to smaller bands and local acts.

Rocky Point Cantina
Venue for smaller to mid-tier bands.

Marquee Theater
Venue for the larger acts.

Mesa

Nile Theater
Venue for smaller to mid-tier bands.

mankvill
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:45 pm 

I run the Mandatory Metallica blog you linked to in the first post. Thanks for the link!

Another pretty cool place in Lawrence is a DIY/House venue at 6th and Alabama called The Overlook. It used to be called something else so I think it changes a lot, but they do a lot of independent shows. It's mostly punk stuff, but I saw Hellbastard there a few years ago and Speedwolf on Easter Sunday this year. It's worth keeping an eye on.

http://www.facebook.com/TheOverlookHouse

edit: And that Knuckleheads place in KC does look super sketch, but it's REALLY nice on the inside. There's an inside stage and a gigantic outside stage with like some tables and stuff. I saw Diamond Head there last year. One of the best sounding shows I've been to!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:05 pm 

Although Seattle; Washington has many places which regularly have Metal shows two to check out are:

The Morgue (aka Club "M")
http://www.facebook.com/morgue.georgetown
This venue will host everything from Folk Punk to Noise so it varies from night to night depending on what's going on. It's all diy, and the staff is mostly volunteer and good people at that. It's a tiny warehouse joint a few blocks away from Boeing Field across the street from the old brewery. I volunteered here myself for a few months while I was in Washington.

Black Lodge
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001253448093
The Black Lodge is more well known to host "Indie" sort of artists, but regularly hosts Crust and Grind shows as well as occasional Metal bands. The space itself is huge; and for an independently run venue it's pretty rad.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:16 am 

Madison, Wisconsin:

Regent Street Retreat (formerly The Annex):
1206 Regent Street Madison, WI 53715
(608) 256-7750

The Annex used to hold a lot of shows for touring bands, but something late last year happened (I don't exactly know what, and a lot of it is cloaked in mystery) but they are now Regent Street Retreat. There is a separate bar from the actual venue, as well as a bar in the venue. Small stage, place probably holds a couple hundred people in the stage area. Decent sound system. They hold all sorts of shows, but many of them are rock/metal/punk.

The Wisco:
852 Williamson St. Madison, WI
608-256-8211

The official name of this place is The Willy Street Pub & Grill, but everyone just calls it "The Wisco". Dive bar with very small stage, but they do have a PA. Place holds maybe a hundred people. If you're a metal/punk/rock band in Madison, you've played The Wisco. Cheap beer specials, no locks on the bathroom door, large outside (fenced in) patio for smoking. The atmosphere is fun and they always have something going on. Pool table. Greasy bar food. It's fun.

The Frequency:
121 West Main Street Madison, WI 53703
(608) 819-8777

Right next to another good watering hole (apart from The Wisco), The Paradise Lounge (better known as "The 'Dise"), The Frequency is a good place to go to shows. You pay the entrance fee, and then go get drunk at The Dise for cheap and then go see what you want to. Plenty of bands come through Madison and hit The Frequency. The bar is separate from the stage, but they've started charging at the door, instead of at the back, like they used to. This place hosts all sorts of stuff, including metal. They do a pretty wide variety of stuff.

Mr. Roberts:
2116 Atwood Ave
Madison, WI 53704
(608) 249-1660

Really, the only day to go is "Distortion Thursdays", but even then, it's slim pickings. I've seen some cool bands there, but usually it's a bust. Most bands pay for tips there, but I've heard that you can work a deal out with them that if you bring enough drinking folk in that you'll get paid proper playing music there. The stage is small, and the sound isn't great...but I've seen plenty of stuff there. Shows usually consist of 3 bands that have nothing to do with each other musically.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:20 pm 

Stickied by request. Will look into making a tour forum.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:45 pm 

Vancouver, British Columbia:

The Rickshaw Theatre
http://www.liveatrickshaw.com/

This one deserves a mention for Vancouver. The size is decent, enough room for a couple hundred people. The layout of the place is double decker like an opera house, so when there are larger shows they open up the second floor, which is fun for the pot smokers out there who want to blaze while a good band is playing with less chance of being seen by security. Sound quality in this venue has always been very good in my experience. For some shows they sell drinks, at a very reasonable price (a decent selection of beers, starting at $4 Pabst the last time I was there). Not only that, but they often allow underage (-19) people into shows where they sell drinks, they just ask for your ID when you go to the bar, so if you're a teenager and you want a few brewskis you can probably find someone cool who will get the drinks for you. Bands that play there range from larger underground acts like Amon Amarth or Opeth to less known Canadian bands like Mitochondrion. The best shows are ones with the good underground Canadian bands like Mitocohndrion, Antidiluvian, Gyibaaw that cost like 10 bucks to get into. There are usually about 3 - 5 metal shows a month at the Rickshaw.

Only downside of this venue that really comes to mind is that its right on the corner of Main and Hastings, which is tied with Jane and Finch in Toronto for the worst intersection in Canada. You will see a lot of meth heads, crack heads and homeless people wandering past while you wait in line outside the venue, but they are mostly harmless. The silver lining is that if you get caught by a street cop blazing outside the venue on a smoke break, they shouldn't give you a hard time because they are used to dealing with schizophrenic crack addled hobos. And hey, maybe you're an adventuresome tourist who doesn't mind seeing some of the more colourful folks in town!

Powerslave93
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:35 pm 

Northern New Jersey

Starland Ballroom in Sayreville.
Usually has metalcore and indie bands, but has had a number of good metal and punk bands in the past such as Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I., Anthrax, Alice in Chains, Overkill, Cro-Mags, Forbidden, Testament, etc.

http://www.starlandballroom.com/

That's the only really good metal-friendly venue in Northern NJ that I know well.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:46 pm 

Portland, OR

Branx - smallest of the three I've listed but always has great metal shows. Metal bands such as Decapitated, Origin, and Goatwhore all played here in recent months, for example. Pretty good sound. Virtually no seating. All ages with separate bar area. Branx website/calendar: http://branxpdx.com/

Hawthorne Theatre - similar to Branx (above) but a bit bigger. Another GA venue with just a small few seats in a distant balcony area. All ages w/ separate bar areas. Metal bands such as Destruction, Kreator, and Sepultura and similar acts have played here. Sound can be hit or miss. Hawthorne website/Calendar: http://www.hawthornetheatre.com/calendar.php

Roseland Theatre - probably the best (relatively) small-show venue that regularly has metal shows. Best sound, lighting, and stage of the three. Larger than the other two combined. Full wrap-around GA balcony seating and large floor area. All ages w/ separate bar area. Metal bands like Opeth, Megadeth, Lamb Of God, Slayer and similar sized acts typically play here. Roseland website/Calendar: http://www.roselandpdx.com/

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 pm 

Knucklehead wrote:
WingedOctopus wrote:
This is the first time I've heard any of this! Other than the no re-entry, over-priced shows, and bad acoustics part, I mean. I was on the fence about seeing Dying Fetus there tonight, but might not after hearing this.

These are common complaints about the Masquerade, but I still go to see shows there, from time to time.

There is a *lot* of metal going on in Atlanta. In fact, there is a killer show tonight, of all local bands. Check out atlantametal.net, if you are interested in getting information about smaller national tours and local shows.

Hey Knuck!!

@WingedOctopus - Hope I didn't dissuade you from going to see DF, you should have definitely gone if you wanted to. Just wanted to point out theres a lot better (and cheaper!!) places around for metal. Def go check atlantametal.net, there's a calendar where most shows are listed along with threads for pretty much anything that's going on "metal-wise" in atlanta. See ya around.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:53 pm 

Here's one for Tennessee:

New Daisy Theatre: http://www.newdaisy.com/
330 Beale Street, Memphis

I've never actually been there, but this is the closest Memphis gets to a metal venue. A lot of -core bands play there, but occasionally you'll get a decent metal lineup (according to last.fm, Cannibal Corpse, Vital Remains, Dying Fetus and Devourment played there in 2010).

MetalHeadNorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:03 pm 

VENUES FOR PEOPLE IN SOUTHERN MICHIGAN

[DETROIT]DTE - Huge bands play here, usually highly overpriced tickets and merch. Expect to pay $8+ for an alcoholic beverage. On the bright side, the area is nice and parking is usually free.

[DETROIT]Harpo's - This place is old as hell and the neighborhood around it is sketchy. No gated parking, so make your friend drive if you have a nice car. They get a variety of bands, but usually extreme metal. Good amount of big bands stop by this place. The actual inside of the venue is very well laid out and the sound has been good every time I've been there. The pit area is epic.

[DETROIT]Blondie's Detroit - Lots of bands play here. Tickets are usually $25+, but it's not bad considering you usually get 3-4 good bands when you go here. The inside of the venue is pretty nice with a lot of room to mosh. If you have sensitive ears, I would suggest wearing earplugs if you go here, though, because the sound is generally louder than normal.

[DETROIT]
Magic Stick - This place used to be a deathtrap back before the ban on smoking. High temp + low ventilation + crowded... it was bad. However, they've remodeled the place since and it's actually very nice now. They don't regularly bring metal bands, but 5-6 per year from what I've seen. Awesome bands that I've seen here include Cynic, Augury and Toxic Holocaust. Nowadays it is a very nice venue. Also, this bum that usually hangs out around this place who plays drums on the buckets is quite a character.

Majestic - The downstairs actual theater of the magic stick. The sound here is pretty good from what I remember, but I haven't been to a show here in over two years, so I dunno.

[PONTIAC]Clutch Cargo's - Very rarely get a metal band playing here. Sound is usually subpar and they charge money to park near the place.

[PONTIAC]Crofoot - This place has a nice set up and you can park across the street for free or cheap. Area isn't the greatest, but you'll be fine. They usually have a crap ton of shitty local bands open, so don't sweat it if you're late. Sound is decent and there is enough room to mosh.

[LANSING]Mac's Bar - Comfy little place near MSU campus in East Lansing. Only been there once, but I'd return if a decent band plays there in the near future.

[LANSING]Blackened Moon - Apparently they host awesome shows all the time. I'm going there for the first time this Saturday, so I'll update with my experience after.

[GRAND RAPIDS]The Intersection - This place is pretty damn awesome. Only issue is to beware of lesser bands playing in the front part of the venue, they may distract you from seeing who you actually came to see if you don't pay attention to where the actual venue is. The place where all the awesome metal shows are held is in a much larger building in back of the Intersection bar.

[TOLEDO]Frankie's Innercity - I don't know how often they get shows, but Skeletonwitch plays here like once or twice a year, so it's worth it just for that. Barely enough room for a mosh pit makes things hectic, but that's awesome. Only complaint is that it's sometimes difficult to find a decent spot to park.

What do you mean by that? How quickly I reply?

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:39 pm 

If you would like to see some metal shows in Moscow, Russia:

1. Milk Moscow
2. Plan B
3. Arena Moscow
4. Stadium Live
5. P!PL
6. Crocus City Hall
7. Olimpic Stadium
8. Relax Club
9. Kasta Club
10. Rock House

We haven't specific places only for metal shows and all these places are for every kind of music...
If you're looking for more, see lists of events on Last.fm and Darkside. Or just send me a message and I'll tell you about it.

TMFAdvocate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:21 am 

Virginia:

Strange Matter, Richmond
http://www.strangematterrva.com/

Blue Nile, Harrisonburg
http://bluenileva.com/

Crayola House, Harrisonburg
http://www.facebook.com/crayola.houselocalshows

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:23 pm 

Melbourne:

We are quite known for our grindcore scene but over the past couple of years, a few of our venues that had held such bands have closed but we do still have some neat venues around.

The Bendigo Hotel:

Bendigo Hotel
125 Johnston street Collingwood 3066, Vic, Australia
ph: (03) 9417 3415

It seems as of late that this venue has really bought back some life into local and international metal.
Since our premier venue, The Arthouse closed down, we were in a bit of a limbo with venues here and the local gigs stopped short for a little bit of time but since this venue has pumped life back into the scene, we've had some great international bands play here like Inquisition and Absu.
Macabre are playing here tonight and i'm quite excited for that.

The Tote:

Address: 71 Johnston Street
(Cnr Johnston & Wellington)
Collingwood, 3066
Victoria

When we had major alcohol tax hikes thrown onto several small bars here, this affected this venue here (and closed down The Arthouse for good).
So for a few months, this venue which I had seen a fair share of local shows and Skinless at was closed for several months and the locals weren't happy about this, needless to say it had opened again but there really hasn't been a metal show since it's opening again.
I think I've only really seen one local metal band since then but it looks like they have plenty of crust punk shows there, which is basically the new 'in' thing here.
It may change it's ways and start hosting metal again but who knows.

The Hi Fi Bar:

The Hi-Fi (opposite Melbourne Town Hall)
125 Swanston Street,
Melbourne, 3000

One of my favourite venues right here.
The metal bands that play here are usually the mid established international ones like Dismember, Sodom and Cannibal Corpse.
It's also a really great venue in itself too as it can hold around 500 people on a sold out show and the tickets won't burn a hole in your wallet either as the average price for an international show is $40.

Billboard The Venue:

170 Russell St, Melbourne 3000
ph: (03) 9639 4000

Nice venue here that usually holds indie rock and raves but they won't have a problem with ripping you to shreds in terms of ticket prices for international metal bands.
They usually hold your bigger bands like Morbid Angel, Behemoth and Dark Funeral here.
The last show I saw here was Morbid Angel I believe and they were asking $80 a ticket, pretty bullshit prices.

Forum Theatre:

Same basic thing as Billboard except this venue can get away with high ticket prices as it's a refurbished theater hall with millions of dollars put into it.
I really like the classy look of this place, it's usually a group of metal bands that play here together though to get more attendence.
A few of the shows I've seen here were Suffocation w/ Arch Enemy and Meshuggah w/ Devin Townsend Project.

The Espy:

The Esplanade Hotel
11 The Esplanade
St. Kilda VIC 3182
Australia

This is a bit of a love hate venue which weighs in about the same with Hi Fi Bar.
It's located across the road from the beach and in one of the most trendiest locations of Melbourne.
While I don't mind this venue too much in regards to venue and well priced tickets for metal, the majority of the complaints that come with here are that the band room inside the venue is too small and the sound doesn't travel well through it.
I've actually seen a few metal bands apologies for the sound of it.

tolerancezero666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:36 pm 

-

Last edited by tolerancezero666 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:56 pm 

Spokane, WA:

The Hop(Books anything, hosts a lot of metal shows) - http://www.thehopmusicvenue.com/
The Knitting Factory(Books any bigger shows, usually touring bands) - http://sp.knittingfactory.com/
The A Club(Books anything, hosts mostly hard rock shows but some metal shows) - http://www.aclubspokane.com/

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:49 am 

Reno, Nevada
The Hardcore scene in Reno is legendary. If you ever pass through try and catch a show if you can.

Club Underground
http://www.myspace.com/clubunderground
When I was living there, this was the spot to go see a Punk band on tour. I've also seen a couple of cool Hip Hop MCs there.

The New Oasis
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-New-O ... 6089107569
This venue is actually in Sparks, however the bus will take you right there. They will book just about everything there, but I have seen some great shows there myself.

The Knitting Factory
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Knitt ... 8918350681
I've never actually been there yet myself. I have heard great reviews about it though.

The Holland Project
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Holla ... 0398900494
So this is Reno's largest diy venue. You won't find much Metal here, but if your into Hardcore or Indie Rock this is the place to be.

House "venues"
This is what Reno is known for. Ask around about Ryland and Sinclair Street, and Ground Zero.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:56 am 

Added all of the information posted in this thread to the OP, this is quickly shaping up to be a great resource. Before I put tons of work into formatting it, I want to figure out how to best format it. There are two things to be sorted out here - info per venue, and organizing information geographically. While a smaller state like Connecticut doesn't need to be broken down by city, it seems more practical to do that for larger states with several major cities. The problem that arises there are venues that are between major areas and how to list them.

Once everything is sorted by state/province, should I sort venues by city, or alphabetically, or by major/minor venues like I did for Connecticut?
Should I put the city before the venue name to make it easier to sort them?
Should the street address be included if there's a website, since every venue's website has the address?
How much additional info based on experience/review of the venues should be included? I put some stuff in quotes for now.

Which of these layouts do you prefer for each venue? One of these, or something else?

Quote:
Webster Theatre - Hartford, CT
http://webstertheatre.com/
The main room is a cave, there's a shoebox room/bar as a second stage. Recently acquired by the ownership of The Palladium in Worcester, MA.

Quote:
The Nick is Birmingham's oldest rock'n'roll establishment, very metal-friendly. They've seen it all. http://www.thenickrocks.com/ for booking contact Nolen-Reeves Music. c/o Dan Nolan. 1574 1/2 Piedmont Road. Atlanta, GA 30324. Phone: (404)876-8436. The club itself is located at 2514 10th Avenue South Birmingham, AL 35205 (205) 252-3831 very good house pa.

Quote:
529 - Small bar/venue that does 18+ shows. Cool spot for shows w/ cheap booze. http://529atl.com

Quote:
The Beaumont Club:
4050 Pennsylvania Ave, Kansas City, MO 64111
http://www.beaumontkc.com/
Awesome venue with lots of great metal shows. Local bands play frequently as well as low-mid popularity underground bands. Has a nice bar area with tables and a comfy outdoor area with a second stage where local DJs spin.

Quote:
[DETROIT]Harpo's - This place is old as hell and the neighborhood around it is sketchy. No gated parking, so make your friend drive if you have a nice car. They get a variety of bands, but usually extreme metal. Good amount of big bands stop by this place. The actual inside of the venue is very well laid out and the sound has been good every time I've been there. The pit area is epic.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:24 pm 

I think separating them by state and then putting the city next to each one like the quote above for Webster Theatre would be best. Having the link right underneath the venue name and then a description either below or to the right of the link would keep everything relatively uniform without too much effort.

This one:
Quote:
Webster Theatre - Hartford, CT
http://webstertheatre.com/
The main room is a cave, there's a shoebox room/bar as a second stage. Recently acquired by the ownership of The Palladium in Worcester, MA.

Kudos for putting everything together.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:45 pm 

Another possibility is putting the list together in a spreadsheet, since the ordering of that can easily be changed, and it's much less work to format and move the data. I will also attempt to make a script format the data for me, but I'm not very good with those things. For now I'll start putting everything together in a spreadsheet.

Ktulu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:00 pm 

This is my first post in years. Adding a few venues for Ontario:

Sound Academy
11 Polson Street, Toronto, ON
http://www.soundacademy.com
A fairly large venue, similar in size to the Kool Haus. Several bars, lots of places to sit towards the back of the room. Parking across the street, but it's a horrible place to get to via taxi.

Phoenix Concert Theatre
410 Sherbourne Street, Toronto, ON
http://www.phoenixconcerttheatre.com
A medium-sized venue which features a balcony and six bars. Lots of comfortable seating in the upper area, and there are other rooms for shenanigans. One of the better venues in the city for view and sound.

Molson Amphitheatre
955 Lakeshore Boulevard West, Toronto, ON
http://www.molsonamphitheatre.net
A huge, outdoor venue, only the biggest metal bands play here, and only in the summer months of course. The sound is usually pretty horrible for heavy bands, but changes depending on the weather and where you are seated. Drinks and food are about the price of a mortgage and public transit to the venue is OK.

Virgin Mobile Mod Club
722 College Street, Toronto, ON
http://www.themodclub.com
A fairly small venue, with decent sound and views. There's a fantastic Scottish pub called the Caledonian, about a five-minute walk away.

Illuminati322
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:36 am 

I'd like to turn DIablo's Cantina in Neenah, WI into a place worthy of inclusion on this list.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:26 pm 

The one with red is the best!

Grapist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:54 am 

Arkansas: The Rogue Pizza Place, Fayetteville. This place is on a beautiful, historical street and you can see it's second stage on the patio from the outside. The place is small, but the metal community is passionate and independent. Dying Fetus, Goatwhore, Cattle Decapitation, Origin, Skeletonwitch, Abysmal Dawn, Decrepit Birth, and Rings of Saturn played here. Origin is half the reason that there are good shows in this town, seeing as they've been there 20 times or so, bringing buddies. Shit beer selection, but hey, they have Yager on tap! ATM's right in front for convenience.

UmbraNihil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:45 am 

The Ohio venues are listed under Illinois on the front page

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:27 pm 

In Lawrence KS

Bottleneck:
737 New Hampshire, Lawrence KS 66044
http://www.thebottlenecklive.com/
Haven't been there before, but they're hosting some metal shows in the future [other KS cats needed to fill this one in].

Deathshred66609
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:38 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
In Lawrence KS

Bottleneck:
Haven't been there before, but they're hosting some metal shows in the future [other KS cats needed to fill this one in].
John_Sunlight wrote:
In Lawrence KS

Bottleneck:

Dont live in Kansas anymore but the Granada is the other place...

The Outhouse shows were legendary...

Check out Demolition Hammer video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkdbl4jDXd0

Just type in Outhouse Lawrence Kansas ( Suffocation Cannibal Corpse Obituary etc)

Kienz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:13 pm 

St.Andrew's in Detroit will have a higher profile metal band in there every now and then it seems. Nice venue for the most part. I saw Decapitated, Baroness and Meshuggah there for about 35$.I'm going to see the Summer Slaughter tour (mainly for Cannibal Corpse and Goatwhore) there. I haven't in the Detroit area for that long though.
I went to high school in Southern Kentucky, and unless you wanted to see some local realitor's midlife crisis country band play downtown, musically speaking, that place was fucking dead.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:00 pm 

A couple of updates for NYC.

The Charleston is no longer booking any shows.

In Manhattan there are also the large venues, Irving Plaza, Terminal 5, Roseland Ballroom. For midsize places, BB Kings Blues Club used to have metal shows all the time but now only have about 2 or 3 a year (Morbid Angel is playing there in the fall). The Bowery Electric and Highline Ballroom also occasionally have metal shows.

And here are the websites for The Acheron: http://theacheronbk.blogspot.com/ and Saint Vitus Bar: http://www.saintvitusbar.com/. Also, Saint Vitus is 21+.

tolivetody
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:54 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Another possibility is putting the list together in a spreadsheet, since the ordering of that can easily be changed, and it's much less work to format and move the data. I will also attempt to make a script format the data for me, but I'm not very good with those things. For now I'll start putting everything together in a spreadsheet.

Once you have it together in a spreadsheet, could you please e-mail it to me? We're currently in the preliminary stages of booking a 7-10 date Fall tour and are covering New England and the Midwest. I have gotten some contacts already for the locations we're looking into, but it never hurts to have backup plans.

Also, on a side note, I am wondering if there will be any bands in the markets noted below that would be willing to support MIDNITE HELLION and/or have us open for you when we go on tour. We're a Traditional Heavy Metal with bits of Speed - http://www.midnitehellion.com http://www.facebook.com/midnitehellion http://www.youtube.com/midnitehellion http://www.youtube.com/struzna (***ADMINS: if this portion should be in a different thread/forum, please let me know and I'll edit and move it accordingly***) We'll graciously return the favor when you come to the NJ/NYC area. As of now, our cutoff point for tour ending will be October 31st due to combined work schedules requiring us to be back by November 1st through the second week of January, so we'd ideally like to have it end in our area and/or have it mid-month.

Here's the markets we're looking at currently:
Worcester, MA
Stamford, CT (Zodijackyl, gears are in motion on your advice :) )
Poughkeepsie, NY
Allentown, PA
Cleveland, OH
Grand Rapids, MI (or anywhere really in the state - just need to be able to get to Milwaukee in a timely manner and plus it would be cool to take the ferry over Lake Michigan to get there)
Milwaukee, WI
Chicago, IL
Indianapolis, IN
Columbus, OH
Pittsburgh, PA
Baltimore, MD

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

-Drew

ruzyne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:03 pm 

For Phoenix, AZ I'd add:

The Rhythm Room
www.rhythmroom.com
1019 East Indian School Road Phoenix, AZ 85014
(602) 265-4842

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 pm 

tolivetody wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

Once you have it together in a spreadsheet, could you please e-mail it to me? We're currently in the preliminary stages of booking a 7-10 date Fall tour and are covering New England and the Midwest. I have gotten some contacts already for the locations we're looking into, but it never hurts to have backup plans.

Also, on a side note, I am wondering if there will be any bands in the markets noted below that would be willing to support MIDNITE HELLION and/or have us open for you when we go on tour. We're a Traditional Heavy Metal with bits of Speed - http://www.midnitehellion.com http://www.facebook.com/midnitehellion http://www.youtube.com/midnitehellion http://www.youtube.com/struzna (***ADMINS: if this portion should be in a different thread/forum, please let me know and I'll edit and move it accordingly***) We'll graciously return the favor when you come to the NJ/NYC area. As of now, our cutoff point for tour ending will be October 31st due to combined work schedules requiring us to be back by November 1st through the second week of January, so we'd ideally like to have it end in our area and/or have it mid-month.

Here's the markets we're looking at currently:
Worcester, MA
Stamford, CT (Zodijackyl, gears are in motion on your advice :) )
Poughkeepsie, NY
Allentown, PA
Cleveland, OH
Grand Rapids, MI (or anywhere really in the state - just need to be able to get to Milwaukee in a timely manner and plus it would be cool to take the ferry over Lake Michigan to get there)
Milwaukee, WI
Chicago, IL
Indianapolis, IN
Columbus, OH
Pittsburgh, PA
Baltimore, MD

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

-Drew

I haven't completely put it together, but all of the information I have is currently in the OP. I'm unsure about formatting it and I'm looking into something to convert it from the spreadsheet to pure text for the forum. I'll send you a PM about venues in CT.

CockerDaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:27 pm 

Baltimore, MD:

Ram's Head Live
ramsheadlive.com
20 Market Place
Baltimore, MD
(410) 244-1131

Certainly not a metal-focused venue; they seem to usually have a pretty big variety of acts there. However I've been to some metal shows there such as Behemoth/Watain/etc. earlier this year, and Opeth/Katatonia/...Bloodbath last year. Nice venue, easy to move around. Has general admission on the floor as well as a large balcony which seems to provide decent views, although tbh I've never been up there. They also have TVs around the bar and such that show what's going on onstage. Can't review the bar itself since I'm 18.

Silver Spring, MD:

The Fillmore (Silver Spring)
fillmoresilverspring.com
8656 Colesville Road
Silver Spring, MD
(301) 960-9999

A pretty new venue that seems to get a pretty good number of metal acts. Looks really nice inside, brand spankin' new. I've been there for Opeth/Mastodon/Ghost and Refused/OFF! and was right at the front in both instances. They also had Meshuggah/Baroness/Decapitated earlier this year. Floor is good, but a few friends who have tried the balcony have said that it can be hard to get a good view up there since the space right up against the railing is reserved for people who pay extra, which seems fucking annoying. Once again, I can't review the quality of the bar. Merch is right there as soon as you get in; pretty much impossible to miss. The semi-urban area around the venue is also nice. A few blocks away is a section with a bunch of restaurants, ice cream places, etc. as well as a movie theater. Superfluous info ftw!

tolivetody
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:31 am 

Update about Champs in Trenton, NJ:

They have recently added subwoofers and are in the process of completely updating the rest of their PA system, including adding monitors, so my former contribution about the club's PA system is now invalid. That's another thing about that club - they're always looking to improve it.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:41 pm 

Here's the most recent spreadsheet version in its most basic form. Still need to figure out how to format it better, but here's the most basic info.

The Spring Street Firehouse Birmingham Alabama http://springstreetfirehouse.com/
The Nick Birmingham Alabama http://www.thenickrocks.com/
Bottletree Birmingham Alabama http://www.thebottletree.com/
Patera's Birmingham Alabama
Matthew's Birmingham Alabama
Nile Theater Mesa Arizona http://www.niletheater.com/
901 Live Tempe Arizona http://910liveaz.com/
Rocky Point Cantina Tempe Arizona http://www.rockypointcantina.com/index.html
Marquee Theater Tempe Arizona http://www.luckymanonline.com/
Cobalt Cafe Canoga Park California http://www.cobaltcafe.com/
Color Blind Studios Concord California http://colorblindstudios.com/
The Black Castle Los Angeles California http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Black ... 2572873680
Ghetto Grounds Los Angeles California https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ghetto-G ... 624?ref=ts
Safari Sam's *CLOSED* Los Angeles California
Eli's Mile High Club Oakland California http://www.elismilehigh.com/
Thee Parkside San Francisco California http://www.theeparkside.com/
Elbo Room San Francisco California http://www.elbo.com/
Sub-Mission San Francisco California http://www.sf-submission.com/
Hemlock Tavern San Francisco California http://www.hemlocktavern.com/
Benders Bar San Francisco California http://www.bendersbar.com/
Regency Ballroom San Francisco California http://theregencyballroom.com/
Slims San Francisco California http://www.slimspresents.com/
Red House Walnut Creek California http://www.redhouselive.com/
Key Club West Hollywood California http://www.keyclub.com/
Viper Room West Hollywood California http://viperroom.com/
Whisky A Go Go West Hollywood California http://www.whiskyagogo.com/
Acoustic Cafe Bridgeport Connecticut http://www.acousticafe.com/
305k Gallery - Bridgeport, CT Bridgeport Connecticut http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gallery-3 ... 5792202986
Heirloom Arts Theater (formerly Empress Ballroom) Danbury Connecticut http://heirloomarts.org/about + http://www.facebook.com/pages/HEIRLOOM- ... 3072142532
*Tuxedo Junction - Danbury, CT Danbury Connecticut http://www.tuxedojunctionct.com/ + http://www.facebook.com/TuxedoJunctionCT
The Beanery Fairfield Connecticut http://cal.fairfieldct.org/content/2765/2777/3679.aspx
Webster Theatre Hartford Connecticut http://webstertheatre.com/
Cook's Cafe Naugatuck Connecticut http://www.cooksrocks.com/ + http://www.myspace.com/cookscafe
Toads Place New Haven Connecticut http://www.toadsplace.com/
El N Gee New London Connecticut http://www.facebook.com/elngeeclub
Dewey's Pub Seymour Connecticut http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deweys-Pu ... 9618707693
Lanza's Seymour Connecticut http://lanzarestaurant.com/
Rack And Roll - Stamford, CT Stamford Connecticut
Seaside Tavern - Stamford, CT Stamford Connecticut http://www.seasidetavern.net/bands/
Shamrock Cafe - Suffield, CT Suffield Connecticut https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shamrock ... 4964067911
Oakdale Theater Wallingford Connecticut http://oakdale.com/index
Cherry Street Station Wallingford Connecticut http://www.myspace.com/cherrystreetstation
City Limits Waterbury Connecticut
Trackside Wilton Connecticut
Amity Teen Center Woodbridge Connecticut
Beelzebub's Cave Miami Florida http://www.facebook.com/beelzebubscave
Vinyl Music Hall Pensacola Florida http://www.vinylmusichall.com/
The Handlebar Pensacola Florida http://www.handlebarpensacola.com/
Sluggo's Vegetarian Restaurant and Bar Pensacola Florida http://www.sluggos.net/
American Legion 33 Pensacola Florida http://www.al33.org/
Live Night Club Pensacola Florida http://www.liveniteclub.com/
Seville Quarter Pensacola Florida http://sevillequarter.com/
Masquerade Atlanta Georgia http://www.masqueradeatlanta.com/
529 Bar Atlanta Georgia http://529atl.com/
The Earl Atlanta Georgia http://badearl.com/
The Drunken Unicorn Atlanta Georgia http://thedrunkenunicorn.net/#
WonderRoot Atlanta Georgia http://www.wonderroot.org/
The Venue Boise Idaho http://theboisevenue.com/
Knitting Factory Boise Idaho http://bo.knittingfactory.com/
Sandstone Bonner Springs Kansas http://www.sandstoneamp.com/
The Woodlands Kansas City Kansas http://www.woodlandskc.com/
The Granada Lawrence Kansas http://www.thegrenada.com/
The Jackpot Saloon Lawrence Kansas http://www.thejackpotsaloon.com/
The Overlook House Lawrence Kansas http://www.facebook.com/TheOverlookHouse
Siberia New Orleans Louisiana http://siberianola.com/
The Big Top New Orleans Louisiana http://www.facebook.com/bigtop3ring
The House of Blues New Orleans Louisiana http://www.houseofblues.com/
Asylum Portland Maine http://www.portlandasylum.com/
Ottobar Baltimore Maryland http://theottobar.com/
O'Brien's Pub Allston Massachusetts http://www.obrienspubboston.com/booking.php
The Black Moon Music Lounge Belchertown Massachusetts http://www.blackmoonmusic.com/
The Middle East Cambridge Massachusetts http://www.mideastclub.com/
The Flywheel East Hampton Massachusetts https://www.facebook.com/FlywheelArts
The Elevens Northampton Massachusetts http://musicattheelevens.blogspot.com/
Pearl Street Northampton Massachusetts http://www.iheg.com/pearl_street_main.asp
Ralph's Rock Diner Worcester Massachusetts http://www.ralphsrockdiner.com/
Club Oasis Worcester Massachusetts https://www.facebook.com/pages/London-B ... 5007607194
The Palladium Worcester Massachusetts http://www.thepalladium.net/
The Raven Worcester Massachusetts
DTE Detroit Michigan
Harpo's Detroit Michigan
Blondie's Detroit Detroit Michigan
Magic Stick Detroit Michigan
Majestic Detroit Michigan
The Intersection Grand Rapids Michigan
Mac's Bar Lansing Michigan
Blackened Moon Lansing Michigan
Clutch Cargo's Pontiac Michigan
Crofoot Pontiac Michigan
Station 4 Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota
Triple Rock Social Club Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota
First Avenue Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota
Medusa Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota
The Beaumont Club Kansas City Missouri http://www.beaumontkc.com/
The Riot Room Kansas City Missouri http://www.theriotroom.com/
Starlight Theater Kansas City Missouri http://www.kcstarlight.com/
Uptown Theater Kansas City Missouri http://www.uptowntheater.com/
Midland Theater Kansas City Missouri http://www.midlandkc.com/
Knuckleheads Kansas City Missouri http://www.knuckleheadskc.com/
Club Underground Reno Nevada http://www.myspace.com/clubunderground
The New Oasis Reno Nevada http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-New-O ... 6089107569
The Knitting Factory Reno Nevada http://re.knittingfactory.com/
The Holland Project Reno Nevada http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Holla ... 0398900494
Milly's Tavern Manchester New Hampshire http://millystavern.com/manchester_nigh ... tm#booking
Le Grand Fromage Atlantic City New Jersey http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Grand- ... 7137664263
Dingbatz Clifton New Jersey http://www.dingbatznj.com/index.php
The Cup Complex Linden New Jersey http://www.cupcomplex.com/
Starland Ballroom Sayreville New Jersey http://www.starlandballroom.com/
Championship Bar & Grill Trenton New Jersey http://www.facebook.com/ChampionshipBar
Town Ballroom Buffalo New York
Acheron NYC/Brooklyn New York
Brooklyn Masonic Temple NYC/Brooklyn New York
Europa NYC/Brooklyn New York
Knitting Factory NYC/Brooklyn New York
Public Assembly NYC/Brooklyn New York
Union Pool NYC/Brooklyn New York
Shea Stadium BK NYC/Brooklyn New York http://liveatsheastadium.com/
The Charleston NYC/Brooklyn New York
Saint Vitus NYC/Brooklyn New York
Trash Bar NYC/Brooklyn New York
Gramercy Theatre NYC/Manhattan New York
Santos Party House NYC/Manhattan New York http://www.santospartyhouse.com/
Cake Shop NYC/Manhattan New York
Lit Lounge NYC/Manhattan New York
ABC No Rio NYC/Manhattan New York
Now That's Class Cleveland Ohio http://www.nowthatsclass.net/
Beachland Ballroom Cleveland Ohio http://www.beachlandballroom.com/calendar.asp?Page=3
The Grog Shop Cleveland Ohio http://www.grogshop.gs/
Peabody's Down Under Cleveland Ohio http://www.peabodys.com/
The Symposium Lakewood Ohio
Frankie's Inner-city Toledo Ohio http://www.frankiesinnercity.com/
The Warehouse Bixby Oklahoma
The Hidden Castle Norman Oklahoma http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Hi ... 4420908554
The Horde Hole Oklahoma City Oklahoma http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Horde ... 2336077153
The Diamond Ballroom Oklahoma City Oklahoma http://www.diamondballroom.net/
Cain's Ballroom Tulsa Oklahoma http://www.cainsballroom.com/
The Brady Theatre Tulsa Oklahoma http://www.bradytheater.com/
The BOK Center Tulsa Oklahoma http://www.bokcenter.com/
The Eclipse Cultural House Tulsa Oklahoma http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eclipse-C ... 6090615706
The Ole Memorial Lounge Tulsa Oklahoma http://www.reverbnation.com/venue/1095276
Tankz Tulsa Oklahoma http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tankz/145633792216578
The Zombie Lounge Tulsa Oklahoma http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Zo ... 9217939531
The Crystal Pistol Tulsa Oklahoma http://www.facebook.com/#!/crystalpisto ... 2005816693
The Sound Pony Tulsa Oklahoma http://thesoundpony.com/
The Conservatory Tulsa Oklahoma http://www.conservatoryokc.com/
Branx Portland Oregon http://branxpdx.com/
Hawthorne Theatre Portland Oregon http://www.hawthornetheatre.com/calendar.php
Roseland Theatre Portland Oregon http://www.roselandpdx.com/
AS220 Providence Rhode Island http://as220.org/
New Daisy Theatre Memphis Tennessee http://www.newdaisy.com/
Emo's Austin Texas http://www.emosaustin.com/
Red Seven Austin Texas http://www.red7austin.com/
Nectar's Burlington Vermont http://www.liveatnectars.com/
Blue Nile Harrisonburg Virginia http://bluenileva.com/
Crayola House Harrisonburg Virginia http://www.facebook.com/crayola.houselocalshows
Strange Matter Richmond Virginia http://www.strangematterrva.com/
Empire (Jaxx) West Springfield Virginia http://www.empire-nova.com/
Two Bit Saloon Seattle Washington http://www.the2bitsaloon.com/
The Morgue Seattle Washington http://www.facebook.com/morgue.georgetown
Studio Seven Seattle Washington http://www.studioseven.us/
The Kraken Seattle Washington http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Krake ... 6001300708
The Blacklodge Seattle Washington http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001253448093
The Funhouse Seattle Washington http://www.thefunhouseseattle.com/
El Corazon Seattle Washington http://www.elcorazonseattle.com/
The Hop Spokane Washington http://www.thehopmusicvenue.com/
Knitting Factory Spokane Washington http://sp.knittingfactory.com/
The A Club Spokane Washington http://www.aclubspokane.com/
Regent Street Retreat Madison Wisconsin
The Wisco Madison Wisconsin
The Frequency Madison Wisconsin
Mr. Roberts Madison Wisconsin

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:45 pm 

I think an important addition, after looking at some of these venues, would be "frequency of metal" - most/some/rare. A lot of them occasionally have metal shows but focus on other stuff. Most major venues who book whatever tours that'll bring in 500-2000 people would be "some", metal-specialized places would be most, and that place that booked a metal band last year would be "rare".

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 pm 

2 More for Rhode Island:

The Met - Pawtucket http://themetri.com/
Venue a little ways outside of Providence. I'd put them in the "some" category; they have a metal show with relatively big names (Destruction and Skeletonwitch are the 2 that come to mind) every couple months or so.

Lupo's - Providence http://lupos.com/
Larger venue right in downtown Providence. they are definitely in the rare to maybe even ultra-rare category. I don't think they've had a metal show in a while, but I think that Vader played there a couple years back. Worth a mention just cause it is still a pretty good venue in general.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:37 pm 

A few to add for Pennsylvania, which I haven't seen any on here yet!

Philadelphia, PA - The Trocadero Theatre
http://www.tetroc.com/
Smaller to medium tours.

Philadelphia, PA - The Electric Factory
http://www.electricfactory.info/
Medium to larger tours.

Pitsburgh, PA - Mr. Small's Theatre
http://www.mrsmalls.com/
Smaller to medium shows. Focused on punk and indie, but does have a few metal shows.

Reading, PA - Crocodile Rock Cafe
http://www.crocodilerockcafe.com/
Smaller to medium shows.

And another for Baltimore, MD
Ram's Head Live
http://www.ramsheadlive.com/
Ocassional metal shows, smaller to medium size

jSaevus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:47 pm 

The Crocodile Rock Cafe in Allentown, Pennsylvania is pretty metal friendly. They've had some pretty big names play their venue. I know Cannibal Corpse will be there in the next few months. They also book a lot of local bands. A lot of bands/artists that play there come back frequently. For example, The Misfits seem to play Croc Rock every few months. I love this venue because it feels very intimate.

www.crocodilerockcafe.com
520 W. Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA, 18101

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:01 am 

Contributing for the US build with Missouri venues:

FUBAR
Bar + Venue, typically all ages.
http://www.fubarstl.com/
3108 Locust St. St. Louis, Missouri
Very good venue, and pretty cheap. This is usually where the community of the metal scene in Missouri gathers if there is one. My band's actually playing the next 5 shows here.

JUST BILLS
Bar + Venue, typically 18+
2543 Woodson Rd
St Louis, MO 63114-5449
http://www.chunksofmeat.com/justbills.html
Pretty cool venue. I said typically ages 18+ because they often let people in if you're discrete.

CICERO'S
Diner + Bar + Venue
http://www.ciceros-stl.com/
This is a really cool place, I hear. A lot of thrash shows go on here, and the pizza is great.

Hope I helped! I have a few more that I will add in later on.

PS: This is a really cool thread for planning out tours. Save a lot of trouble. Thanks for the idea, Zodi.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next