Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:48 pm 

The Monolith Deathcult, July 11th, Gaukurinn Reykjavik, Iceland

After the TMDC show on Eistnaflug I got to speak to all band members, them knowing by then I was the (as far as I know) only paying Dutch visitor of the festival 8-) . Talking to the various band- and crew- members was pretty hilarious. I think it must have been Carsten who told me the band was going to do at least one more show on Iceland, could have been Robin as well. I don’t remember that sharply, the Boli’s from backstage had a more than decent flow heh heh. I had not forgotten by the time I did the rock- and metal-bar tour of Reykjavik, but was I one day too early or one day too late? Iceland’s Mid Summer wrecked me in several ways, I guess :( . Swimming just to stay awake? Bar 11 was closed , I knew that, but they had the coolest of the three interiors. Dillon was, apart from +200 bottles of whiskey, whisky or bourbon and one dull chick on the counter, completely empty and their interpretation of rock or metal was Franky Valley’s Grease so I didn’t stay long. By the time I got tired, I finally found a map of the city center and found out Dillon, Gaukurinn and the Icelandic Punk Museum were literally a stone throw away from each other. The Punk Museum was built like I’d imagined doing, had I known more punk. The owner did have an impressive collection of punk denims and leathers, but he hated every punk band I could muster (Sex Pistols, Ramones, The Exploited, The Clash; he liked De Heideroosjes though ;) ) and it’s more of a Björk tribute than knowable punk. I’ve read some 75 band names, only translated one or two… it turned out that Icelanders still think of Björk of one of the earliest punkers of the island, even though she progressed EARLY in her own releases, Sugarcubes and earlier.

Coming to Gaukurinn made me lighten up: the band would perform today. But… like nothing this vacation is going the way I’d imagined (Akureyri, half a million ISK, Keflavik, whale watch, fishing, Keflavik bar tour) I noticed the bands would begin after Happy Hour: 21.00. Looking at my phone (I had not lost it in Akureyri after all! Pfew! ;) ) it was 16.10. What to do? Return to Reykjanesbaer, enter all my metal goodies, maybe even sleep for a sec, take the bus to Reykjavik or stick to the car? Coming to the car I remembered both my shorts and both my denims were at the car! OK, eat first, that was an excellent choice: hot Philippine chick behind the counter, Dexys Midnight Runners on Grillhusìd TV, excellent fried chicken on good noodles, good Applsin (sort of orange soda). The GrayLine bus would mean I’d have to leave just as the first band started and that’s a no-no concerning gigs.

I did some more tourist stuff and headed to Gaukurinn around 20.00, no need for the 1,000 ISK yet? I changed to orange soda with ice (nicknamed Giraffe on the Rocks? :) ) and was thanked by a man that I’d seen on Eistnaflug. I was thanked several times tonight, but also pissed off by a guy in a denim claiming I had to put the arms back to the vest and make room for Led Zep? :( Ahh, the Norwegian Sleep- and Roadburnfan was there too, nice to chat. He did like Neurosis ;) . There would be three bands tonight: Òværa, Devine Defilement (probably a spelling mistake, couldn’t find anything on the band) and TMDC. I was baffled to be introduced to Diđrik Jòn, metalhead, Icelandic metal promoter [seek Nekron on FB], band member and understander of Dutch! He’s got an ex-wife and two sons in Zoetermeer. He was here for Òværa, explaining the band name as ‘Anti-being’; he was sure they would do something with that anti-being, he told me, grinning widely. At first we saw TMDC checking sound though. The band did a third of a set, light setting and samples and all. Diđrik Jòn and me met a Qatar metalhead, I’m sorry I’ve not heard his name, but we had a great discussion about religion and world politics when Devine Defilement was checking sound. They play some brutal death metal, without any other riff raff like samples and keyboards. The vocals reminded me of John Gallagher mixed with John Gallagher (silly joke of course ;) ) but it’s accurate. Diđrik Jòn had a great clue to stop the wars on religion: replace the name of religion to tradition! So, it’s not Islamic religion, no it’s Islamic tradition; all minor differences, adding up to the biggest wars, wiped out! I even got a Qatar riyal note not to forget this discussion!

The singer of the first band Òværa told everybody who’d listen he’d perform in his favorite pants, I thought he’d just perform like Spasm or Viscera Trail but no: Lederhosen! The band went in with the most anti-being person ever to roam this world: a full report on the verdict of Ted Bundy was used to bash every head in :evil: . The band plays fierce death metal, fierce black metal and fierce metalcore combined in a sandstorm of about 20 minutes. I started exploring Gaukurinn, being a gender free joint, I stepped into the ‘wrong’ loo of course :) , looking for photos and flyers of music old and new. I found Metallica(-tribute) and Black Sabbath in Reykjavik, or was it an album release party? Dimma and Ham showed up again, remembering the singer of Ham stayed in our hotel, white leather jacket and fluffy white hairs an all. He’s the Secretary for Healthcare of Iceland, the other famous band member was mayor of Reykjavik… The venue was scarcely lit and as the smoker’s booth was next door, the lights got to me in the end. When a smoker went out or in, I was in full sun light again, feeling a migraine pop up even before Devine Defilement got to stage. I talked to TMDC guitarist/singer/merch man Michiel for a while before I said goodbye to Robin. I couldn’t take it anymore. Robin understood, he’d had a concussion once too. He even showed me his sunburnt arms, laughing he’d been sunburnt in Iceland, of all places. So, only two sound checks and one 20 minute gig later, I got back to the car, put on Kingfisher Sky and drove to Reykjanesbaer. But like I explained to Robin, I did see some The Monolith Deathcult in Reykjavik! Metal!

additions: http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... -july-11th

Last edited by herrieman72 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:14 pm 

Dynamo Metalfest 2017, IJssportcentrum Eindhoven, July 15th

Dynamo Metalfest is a party. Period. The first and second editions of the festival were pure sentiment of youth combined with really cool bands. At the 2016 edition this one was already noted: Testament back on a Dynamo (OA) stage! The band made a full-fledged breakthrough at the 1986 edition of Dynamo Open Air, now they will bash Eindhoven once more. I got a fan package the moment I got home from last year’s show, but had not really understood what that package would mean. Not VIP-tickets, that I knew. Some shit with key chains or hard copy tickets, probably… Exodus, Entombed A.D., Prong and Toxik were added before 2016 was over. Toxik! The speed metal megatalents of 1987, conquered Dynamo Open Air in 1988, seen live by me in 1989, out of hiatus! The name alone nearly struck as a heart attack! Putting Gojira as headliner surprised me, but if it means we head out early it is fine with me. I’ve seen the band twice and ever since that second show I simply don’t feel the band anymore. Vuur on the other hand is another band featuring Anneke van Giersbergen and White Boy Wasted is speedrock; both bands not seen before. Exodus was one of the last announcements and this made the day even friggin’cooler!
Daniel texted me if he could join us, of course, but as Tom works we won’t be able to leave before 12.30. The ticket package was sent when I was on Iceland, they were collector’s tickets, keychain and DMF logo present. Of it had anything special on the terrain the leaflet didn’t say, but some FB thingie to post your pictures or something, let Daniel figure that one out ;) I called Kees Bloemkool about joining or even Stonehenge, but we soon found out he’s lost the feel for Gojira too and Stonehenge is sold out! We agreed Tom would drive to Eindhoven, I’d do the BOB thing. Driving near Amsterdam I felt a slight need for coffee, but Tom said ‘stopping is not learned on the course ‘Continuous Drive’ but we did stop :) By that time I knew we’d missed Toxik and Vuur already, but also: as Prong plays now, we have all the time in the world from now on. Entering the IJssportcentrum we heard Prong play, but as I was surrounded by at least 30 acquaintances I never looked >< How many friends do you need when HeeJo and Dennis showed up instantly, beers in hands? Uhm, just more people to beer with. Entombed A.D. soon got to stage and I must say I liked what I heard a lot. The band doesn’t linger on old members or middle age tactics and just bashes in. Stranger Aeon early in the set, Dead Dawn from the latest release, Living Dead played. The ‘ubbub’s, ‘oeh’s and ‘graaaaaaa’s were so abundant, we all know Celtic Frost still is a mayor influence on LG & Co. Lord of Flies of course, before LG thanks all bands today on his own drunken stupor: Devin Dumbend :) as last. My best part of this Entombed A.D. show however, was the song Revel in Flesh! I explained everybody around about Schoonebeek Deathfest 8-) and the rest of that great line up. Wolverine Blues, Out of Hand and Left Hand Path ended this great show. I got a DMF 2017 special cup from one of the new generation of Enkhuizen Metal Matties, thanks!

During Out of Hand I got to the bar, but the sight was abysmal: people three lines thick waiting, watching inexperienced bar crew stumble with the glasses, clean or dirty, the coins, the foam on the beers, the question whether return anything else but the drinks (I even heard ‘should I pay him back?’ Ugghhhh!) Get trained crews! Share crews between Effenaar, Dynamo, 013: have a glimpse back to Wãldrock for beers sake, there they had a group of volunteers that knew what to do as they did it every year!) Add one fact, there were only three small bars, one of which a coffee bar, on some 10,000 visitors and you know it should be fast, fast, fast! Because of this hubbub I hardly heard one of my all-time favorite death metal songs! Getting beers costed at least 15 minutes and on a tight schedule like this, I don’t want to waste 15 minutes. A round! Swell news though: next edition will be held at the same place, July 14th 2018, featuring Annihilator! I will book Sandton asap, as I don’t want to keep driving every friggin’time. Exodus is on next! Nostalgia rises from the carcasses of posers everywhere slain by this playlist:
- Piranha (Tom says ‘bye!’ and hops in 8-) leaving Jo flabbergasted as she’d finally got Tom a beer in return)
- Blood In Blood Out
- And Then There was None
- Deranged
- Body Harvest https://youtu.be/8udtp5lXsfc
- Children of a Worthless God
- Blacklist
- War is my Shepherd (for Lemmy, as both bands have written so much about war)
- Bonded by Blood
- The Toxic Waltz (audience is eager, but the one-and-a-half guitar-sound dampens a lot of great spirit, as the bass is hardly audible as well)
- Strike of the Beast (the wall of death already formed at the intro :) 8-)
What I remember most about this show: a. Tom’s whale like grin. That’s more whale than the entire Eistnaflug trip >< b. the band was in for it but c. the sound was sloppy and that didn’t improve! How’s that possible, of Entombed A.D. I’d expected something like this, but Exodus? Who’s got carrots in his ears near the PA? Great to experience Exodus with friends (about 75 of mine, 10,000 in total ;) ) but this mix of the sound nags. Or to use Pim vG’s explanation after Prong: Prongeluk. What nags even more: Devin Townsend Project does. The band is written into fan’s heaven, but my heaven is hell when DT is around. The dry humor of the Canadian is plain boring to follow, the band does some synth*876 times more than guitars. As if you’re looking at korfball through the looking glasses of a fridge. It literally gave me a headache and I moved on. Dinner time is for an excellent rosemary topped beef burger with bacon and cheese and a downfall of German sausage on a dull bun. What a difference! So far I’d met Marcel IV, Dave (hey!) Alex and Quinten (Bodyfarm), Alex and Jane, Pim, Pim, Pim and Pim (Officium Triste), Magda, Niels, Jordi, Rob, Rob, Jurwin, Bart, Bart, Laurens and Marco (Distillator), Laurens, Lange Robert, Tyas (who didn’t join us before, during and after the fest), Jan, Jurgen & The Incomprehensible Friesians, Anne, Twan (LotD, Soulburn),André, Jeroen, JaapJan, Joost, David, Erwin, Agga, Bettina, Eric, Tony and his gf; and even more to follow. We were waiting for Testament. Would Testament be thrilled to be on Eindhoven soil again, would they bring anything special (Exodus had shirts in the Dutch colors, for example) or would they do a Dokkumpie? The latter… the band started 45 minutes too late WITH A SOUNDCHECK. They should have been performing for at least 35 minutes at that time, so the set was shortened greatly. By the time Over the Wall was played, Tom and me, along with many mentioned above, were heading for the burgers and tables in the back. Come on top of it, the sound was like a train falling into an abyss, people leaving revolted! I heard Practice What you Preach but hardly recognized it. The only one really satisfied was Daniel, as the band (probably, I haven’t noticed) played Electric Crown, his all-time favorite thrash song. The sound rebounded from literally everywhere I’d been, but thinking back of D.O.A. 1992 I can’t remember ever hearing such a bad sound nearly all day. Pestilence and Paradise Lost clearly had better sounds (and reception) than Testament. Prong also played DOA’92 but we had to return to Groningen then, never saw them then, not now ;)

Apart from the decent amount of coins stands to buy coins, the line to get your money back for surplus coins was about 25 times longer. So, Tom stated, time to get the beers that hook up to two hands full of surplus coins. I got another burger but I like beef more than breaded chicken… when Gojira stood on stage. The band, which I never liked much to begin with, was THE exception on the bad sound all day, but the band blew it themselves. The singer was moping all during and between the songs, the guitars seemed to be tuned to comfort Celestine Warbeck; only the drummer performed as he should. I recognized one tune off From Mars to Sirius, but I don’t even bother to look up that CD-R nor MA for it. No toothless grinning farmer needed to drive swiftly off the grass parking lot we entered some 8 hours before. The weather was actually perfect for my doing: dry, not too warm and not cold. I did use some pre-sun protection but didn’t need it. I did not buy any merch, as I didn’t really like the designs; the Exodus Goes Dutch shirts were long gone when we entered. I would have liked to see Toxik, on the pre-party or on the festival, they might have swapped Toxik for DT anytime. I did buy a ticket for the next Lemmy Tribute in De Nozem en de Non in January 2018 and found a nice festival leaflet: Fuizenfest, Sept 29th-30th in Riel, feat. Heidevolk, ONSLAUGHT on Friday and a battle of the coverbands on Saturday: Up the Irons, Player, Roses’n’Guns, Bestial Devastation (yup, Sepultura tribute!), Sick Sabbath and Snaggletoöth; more info on http://www.fuizenfest.nl

All and all, I liked my friends more than the average of bands today. I’ve seen Entombed (A.D) sloppier, I’ve seen Exodus sharper and I’ve seen Toxik years before, but not today :( . Testament pulling a nasty note surprised many, the amount of Gojira shirts didn’t change during the show. Old and young combined, I think everybody found something to like, to love or to loath. Dynamo Metalfest, we will return, but by beerness, get more bars! I’d say ‘get more metal’, but that’s not fair. Less DT and his Keykats, I think. Afpilzen, done. Metal.

More on http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... bed-exodus
Edit: In the earlier version there were some pretty cool pictures, all linked to PB. I removed the PB account as the easiest part was to get Adfree: $2,50 a month. But allowing 3rd party hosting is fffffffg $400 a year! I'm a metalhead, not a commercial dick!

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:19 am 

Stonehenge festival 2017, feat. Macabre, Godflesh, Carcass

This would be my seventh Stonehenge festival in a row; I don’t even bother to look for bands as long as I can get my metal ass on this festival again! I just go, maybe get surprised and make plans for the next edition, it’s as simple as that. Same with Tom, he’s been to Stonehenge since 2012 with me. This year the first bands announced were Absu, Benighted, Kraanium and the reunion shows of DeadHead and Altar; soon to be accompanied by none other than murder metallers Macabre! The rest of the line up still would be able to show me something I’d not seen before as Godflesh was added to the bill. Morbid Angel was announced somewhere around New Year, I think. All and all the line up held +25 bands again, let’s find out what we can see. Tom said he’d skip work for one Saturday, I got Thirza a ticket and Peter will join us to Blitterswijk again. Later on I got asked whether Jessica could join us, fine, bring Kees Bloemkool and Alicia in too maybe, but call at least three days before the show HOW MANY WOULD ACTUALLY STAY. I’m sick and tired of cancellations! Especially because it’s my family AND I friggin’hate to waste food. Just before Dynamo Metalfest Kees had to find out Stonehenge was sold out, so no Alicia too. Only two weeks before the festival the acquaintances that did join dribbled in, no Shredded Ed, but Bram, Peter, Thirza and Carcass! Morbid Angel had problems with one of the passports and cancelled every European festival appearance, the hints for replacements (via FB, thanks to Alex ;) ) were great: I Am Morbid, Autopsy (hey Agga!) , Mambo Kurt (Thirza? :) ), Asphyx (who? 8-) ) and then some. Carcass is a great replacement, I’d say.

Weather predictions were, say, unfriendly to outdoor festivals this weekend. 60-70 per cent chance of rain, temperature around 18 degrees, windy. I decided to go prepared, so I packed extra shirts, a poncho, a bunch of CDs for the afterparty and more plastic. The night before I even watched a documentary on Lionel and Jeffrey Dahmer ;) In the morning I started well: Mr. Bluesky on digital radio and As Blood Rains From The Sky in the bag. Let’s hope it won’t Hail Bullets haha. I also brought my cooling box to pick up Thirza, as Alex’ deep freezer broke down on the day he’d left for Denmark… my freezer can hold that, if I pick out the ice creams :) Two full crates of HJ from Peter for the diesel and the afterparty, great. We picked up Bram and headed across the Houtribdijk, in blazing sun. So far, so good, we had excellent coffee before Mirjam brought us to the festival. Tom would arrive around 4, now it was 11.30 we got our plastic wrist bands and Deceptionist was on stage. The band played old school death metal, but as we saw only one song it was kinda hard to pinpoint who had influenced the band most. At the entrance I was overwhelmed by friends with beers, so I stuck there as I didn’t even need to get myself in the long line in front of the coin point. Christel, Paul and Stefan of the Asphyx entourage welcomed me, along with the Izegrim members Marloes, Jeroen and Bart), Alex of Bodyfarm, the Hannover Ladies Andrée and Kathe (I got an excellent birthday present, thanks a gazillion for the cool LPs!! God Dethroned – The World Ablaze special edition (!!) and the 10“ Hail of Bullets – Warsaw Rising! Great! Awesome!) . I also found Dave P and Shredded Ed and they offered me to put the LPs in Dave’s car as there were no lockers again! In the meantime Profanity was on the other stage, they sounded as if they were a Tribute to Sinister or something. Quite well done, by the way. The festival still holds two identical stages and the bands followed each other like a zipper, so soon it was time for Korpse. Ahh, there’s Axel too, of course ;) it was fun. I don’t know any songs but it was a nice mess in front of North stage.

I hold my ground, handed out beers and got beers in return, as Doomas played their melodic doom. This is not my favorite style of metal at all, but at least Rob Tiller enjoyed it, his grin was obvious. Braincasket played a nice set, along with a guest appearance of George Oosthoek, skin suit, pink tutu and all :) This was great, but I waited for Disabuse to perform.. I have had some 98 possibilities to see this band in their 30-year-since-start-but-not-always-playing, but this was actually the first time. I liked their brand of thrashy hardcore, thinking of Cryptic Slaughter meets The Waste. But as it started raining, we regrouped near one of the little bars with a little roof and saw the reincarnation of Holland’s Most Antichrist Band Ever, Altar, got to Station Stage. The band, not only infamous for their blasphemy but also for the rumor around band members, has begun their third life so far. Singer Janneke de Rooy, normally in Paper Doll Decay, did a great job, not trying to sound like one of the former singers, but just heading her own power straight to the audience and she hit hard. It’s been some 18 years since I first saw them… We stayed so near the bar we only saw a glimpse of Evil Invaders, but the Belgians sounded great and clearly had fun on stage. I couldn’t ban all my friends around me, even I said I’d like to see certain bands… this festival always has been a sort of reunion to many. Friends from all over Holland and Germany were feeding me beer, but I had to turn some down as I was getting hungry. By the time I finally had found a burger that didn’t soak in rain water, I missed at least three bands… (think of Benighted, Beheaded and.. uhh, Hideous Something) I was just too late to see the reunion of DeadHead, but they’ll come again, I guess. Absu followed but they couldn’t really impress me, the sound was horrible and the band moped about the rain, nagging it would be better to perform in the nearby theater. Oh well, better ask Krisiun to fire up Steenwijk and surroundings. As you might have read before, I have a love-hate relationship with this band, but this was a loveable show. The band went in like a towel near a shower and turned all rainy heads to sweaty ones. I didn’t last the entire show as I wanted to be on top row for my anniversary Macabre show! I made sure all my travelers, family and fellow-Macabre fans were within an arm’s reach as the rain pounded us. My tenth Macabre show was shorter than I expected, but it was great nonetheless:
- Hitch Hiker
- Dog Guts
- Nero’s Inferno
- Albert was Worse than Any Fish in the Sea (with an ‘Albert’ on stage, not beaten to death this time ;) )
- Nightstalker
- Ed Gein (including Leatherface)
- Scrub a Dub Dub
- Zodiac (with a Zodiac on stage)
- Vampire of Düsseldorf
What a great band! The sound was a bit drenched, but with this massive rain I don’t complain. Ed and I sure were happy with our beers, as we shouted every piece of lyric that was belched out over the moshing and banging audience. Cool guys too, as the set lists and guitar picks were handed over personally. You can clearly see how Corporate Death abuses his guitar pick, as it’s totally torn, as if he had a personal grudge against the poor piece of plastic 8-) ; I should have asked one of the fellow Macabre freaks to make a picture of their set list, as I think I missed to write at least one song... My smile was branded on my face again. Rain or shine, as Wacken organizers would say ;) I certainly shone; also happy I had Peter, Thirza, Bram and Tom to share this great moment with me. I. Am. Macabre. Fan. For. Life.

Tom had found a poncho, but had nothing under it anymore. I don’t know if his shirt got torn again, but his smile was evident: he didn’t care about the rain nor the shirt anymore ;) He was Master of the Pit again ;) Next up was Godflesh. I once bought three Streetcleaner shirts just to have something of this band shared with my fraternity friends, but actually I never bothered about the band ever since the Slavestate EP. I just could no longer cope with the ever returning beat, mechanical sounds and drone the band had back then, but I managed to recognize at least three songs: Like Rats, Christbait Rising, Streetcleaner and one I already cannot pull back out of my alcoholic memory. I was already surprised I recognized one song, let alone four ;) But my crew got drained by the constant hammering of the rain, big droplets in huge quantities. I always said I like Swimming in the Rain, but seeing band in such conditions drains energy. Not that the rain felt cold or something, but the terrain suddenly got more and more space… people that already had enough to drink didn’t wait for Marduk anymore (we only saw the band from a distance and the rain made the sound too thin for this caliber band) and during Carcass’ sound check we also left. I wasn’t the only one happy that the taxis were plentiful available, the driver sure had been in hurry to return to the festival. This dude drove like a madman through Steenwijk, Tuk and Zuidveen as if he had a personal grudge against the villages :) We were split, as one car wouldn’t fit the five of us, the second taxi driver had to drive as mad as ours, just to keep up ;) Problem with your BramBram or something? :) We had some afpilzen with my cousin Toon, but as we were drained of energy even the HJ was hard to down. A hand of potato chips and borrelnootjes were all that was needed to fill me totally. We couldn’t play any of the CDs I had brought, as there was nothing but a plain radio and the sound from the mobile phones wasn’t top, so I tucked in soon. I think I can bring my CD player next time… We had fun, sure, had a great Macabre show, along tons of friends (Hauwerters, Enkhuizers, Rotterdammers, Amsterdammers, Brammerman, msd, German, Belgian and the rest ;) ) but the rain was a too prominent element of the day. I slept like a boulder in the deepest part of the valley… In the morning it was fun to find out whose Gothenburg Deathfest shirt was his, but the coffee and fresh bread, fresh fruit and great cheese were needed and excellent! After having thanked Toon and Mirjam we drove out of the lovely B&B, already reserving the same barn for next year. I already bought three early birds for July 28th, 2018 via www.stonehengefestival.nl/tickets/#tickets ; Firespawn, Carnifex, Rectal Smegma, Melechesh, Cliteater, Herrieman, Tom, Thirza present! Metal!

doubling the text by Peter and reactions via http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... re-carcass

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:26 am 

Death Angel, Warbringer Baroeg Rotterdam, August 6th 2017

The Evil Divide Across Europe Tour would bring Death Angel and fellow thrashers Warbringer to several European metal festivals and some small gigs in the weekdays were victim of venues like Dynamo and Baroeg! Death Angel and small venues, goodie goodie. I clearly remember the Paradiso gig where I ‘celebrated my 16th birthday’ and the small venue-in-between-tearing-down-the-old-building-and-rebuilding Patronaat. It was a friggin’bike shed :) but I’ve heard The Ultra-Violence there! My love for Warbringer will remain too, I guess. I wasn’t overtly impressed with IV Empires Collapse, but the new one nearly made it to Album of the Month. Uhm, still have to buy it ;) I got tickets, Tom couldn’t make it as he’d overbooked every day of the weekend double ;) Daniel suggested we’d take the train, so I wouldn’t have to drive for once and as it were an afternoon matinée, we’d be home on time as well. Only a few days before the gig I noticed the show was sold out.

I wrote the time I’d have to be on the train on my hand, but I managed to be there over an hour and a half too early, so I rode into Hoogkarspel and got me some hard needed caffeine and a nice apple pie. BVO’s bought, still half an hour early... We opened the first HJ before Hoorn ;) but needed BVW (Beer for Waiting) at Den Haag Holland Spoor as one defect train blocked the entire station… Cool to hear the main ticket-taker used that term within seconds :) Coming to Lombardijen we noticed we hadn’t missed much as the first band was still on stage: Dutch thrashers X-Tinxion, they play in a Flotsam&Jetsam mode, many high squeals but musically not the heaviest. The vocals combined high pitched clean vocals (female) and lower stuff (male, not really a grunt yet). It seems the band has been around for over 10 years, but I’d never heard of them. Only a song and a half isn’t a good reference, of course, but the audience clapped politely. Fine. Next up was Nervosa, some more females on stage to be seen, Brazilian this time. The thrash they play is dirtier than X-tinxion’s but after a while I get bored, even to watch tittie. It simply doesn’t last, but at least the wankers get what they expect, I guess. Pim vG already told me Warbringer would play the new album in its entirety, followed by some old tracks. He’d seen Nervosa and Warbringer in Little Devil already [rub rub rub :( ], he said it was one of the coolest Warbringer shows he’d ever seen. Clearly, John & Co. are ffffffg into it tonight! The venue explodes with joy, headbangers, shouters and a nice pit follows. The sound is great, but with my concussion in mind (…) I don’t participate much and keep running into friends near the bar. Luckily I had some old Baroeg coins at hand, otherwise I’d have to keep running into the coin machine. It doesn’t help the damned machine doesn’t give me any coins anymore, so I miss half the Warbringer set waiting. I still don’t know if I paid two times or none at all, so I have to keep near the f machine to be sure I don’t get anything anymore. As a compromise I get ten coins and the pleasant request to check my bank account if I’d paid or not. [typing this I did check, I did pay twice, but got the second try already returned to my account. Pfoei, I will mention that on Baroeg Open Air next month 8-) ]. Directly after the Warbringer show the band hangs around the merch booth and the bar, so a nice chat between Pim U, Pim vG, John Kevill and me occurs. We’re bluffing each other which Warbringer show was best 8-) As a nice surprise, Daniel bought me a War Without End patch, thanks a lot! Sherman the Tank rolls again ;)

Big (metal) bands in Baroeg get their weight in gold if the crowd is into it and sure as hell, Death Angel hits the jackpot. And, as Daniel predicted, if you’re not in the venue itself when the (big) band begins, you don’t see a flying fuck. Me, only 173 cm tall, got the worst part. I stood in the back, near the bar, band going nuts, audience freaking out, limbs flying, I see nothing. A hint of Mark Osegueda, a hint of Damien Sisson and a hint of Rob Cavestany is all I get. The band goes bananas with old and new material, the sound is thrilling but I don’t even make pictures and stay near the TV screen, to see the Orange Lionesses win the European Championship of Ladies Voetbal! 4-2 against Denmark, a hell of an achievement! Daniel noticed I wasn’t really happy so by halfway Death Angel’s set, we head out to Lombardijen again. See if we can get home in one go this time ;) I should have eaten something, but we had so little time in between trains I just trail on. Bike rides without support music are boring. Period. I had a great day, especially as I also missed Feyenoord beat Vitesse for the JC dish the day before,( traditional Dutch voetbal season start; Champion vs. Cup winner) and have my Westwoud shirts to shed. The reactions so far are hilarious, wonder what Tom Angelripper is thinking about it *ccol* I got Agga the ugliest Warbringer shirt I’d ever seen, but as Erwin already had another ugly shirt some time ago, they might hook up haha. It was fun, it was thrash, it was metal.

Reactions via http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... dam-august [check in as guest]

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:54 am 

Into the Grave 2017, headlined by Saxon and Amon Amarth, August 11th and 12th

Remembering the 2016 edition of Into the Grave brings back memories of utter exhaustion after one of the coolest Exodus shows I’ve ever seen. No thanks to Wacken, it’s again the same weekend as Bloodstock, Alcatraz, Brutal Assault and PartySan, all with great line ups [and even a Swiss one, but with a line up I wouldn’t head out to Switzerland for]. But I chose Leeuwarden, or else Tom did. He wasn’t in for another road trip this year so he wanted good’ol Into the Grave. Bring Ellen along, fine. Have a party with Amon Amarth, Overkill and Sodom, the replacement of Hail of Bullets (..) and Alex! He loves Amon Amarth but probably couldn’t do the entire festival. It’s his birthday a few days before this weekend and I already had a hotel room, so why not? Peter (Lord Belial) once thought I’d already bought him a ticket too, but I didn’t and with the hotel he’d be out of luck so he chose Alcatraz with Rob T. Weather forecasts weren’t that specific this week, so I decided to bring it all in threes: denim, metal pants, shirts and shoes? Nah, I don’t even have three pairs of shoes ;) I’d bring my Overkill jacket anyway, along with my Dutch denim, but I left the latter home as Alex finally started his/my denim, Amon Amarth big on the back, Maiden, Venom and my home made Vandenberg on the ‘eighties side’ as Alex called it, plenty of room for the newer stuff 8-) (Asphyx, Municipal Waste and the likes can carry my approval. It’s still my jacket, so I decide what bands DON’T get on ;) After this festival maybe also some Sodom present) and maybe a wrist band of the seventh edition of Into the Grave.

At first I thought we’d drive early on Friday, but counted beyond Ellen. She couldn’t get a day off so we drove just around 7 PM. Not that the Friday programming hurried us to Leeuwarden… The Charm The Fury, Flotsam & Jetsam, Alestorm… I would have liked to compare Metal Church to previous shows I’d seen, but swoah. With that Mike How as singer… ugh. On the moment we needed the Alexalex most the screen busted (or something) and Ellen’s phone was set on cycling, so we made an odd detour through Leeuwarden. Quick into a taxi, to see… the Alestom banner. A gull fucking a banana, that’s the standard Bowes has nowadays? Luckily, the banner went down on the moment we got ourselves our first beer. Of Powerwolf I can’t make heads nor tails. The band does some Eurovision Songmetal, but the young part of the audience totally freaked out. We soon found out Monique, Jasper and Jessica all had had quite enough… Jasper went away without contacting Monique, he slept in his Jag and she got over her water, never had a single moment without him for more than twenty years. Jessica and me decided it was for Monique’s best to get her back to Jasper, so I volunteered to escort the sisters to their hotel. Jasper mentioned something about ‘sleeping gently in my Jag’ and there are the tears again… so sweet. We got back around the moment It’s A Long Way to the Top (If You Want to Rock’n’Roll) roared over Leeuwarden, here’s Saxon! The band is really in top shape live and one hit is followed by another sing-along. The band has some effortless quality over them, with songs like Battering Ram, Let Me Feel Your Power and the golden oldies 747 and Heavy Metal Thunder (thanks to setlist.fm) the fans get what they deserve: a great sound, band happy, audience having fun, no rain, singing their highs and lows nearly louder than the band. I haven’t seen the entire set, as I knew The Monolith Deathcult was scheduled for the after-party in De Neushoorn. I still had some coins of the Frisian Metal Night so these beers for me and Dave were ‘free’. He even gave me one of his Bill Steer guitar picks, as he did wait to see Carcass headline Stonehenge two weeks ago! Thanks my friend! The Monolith Deathcult was happy to spot me, so I also got Carsten’s guitar pick, even though I still don’t know any songs yet. I heard some reggae-like tunes as sound check to another band so I ran outside.. In for another taxi ride and I’m out. Totally.

Saturday started with a good breakfast, a small sun and the calls what time Alex would arrive; we’d share a taxi. Earlier this week I texted Alex the festival would start at noon, but the first ‘interesting band’ would start at 1 PM: Pro-Pain! Alex was unlucky with the three bridges he had to wait for, so all we got to see from Gary Meskill and Co. was Make War Not Love, but with great sound once more and the first pit of the day is accounted for. Pity Textures didn’t end their goodbye tour a few dates before today, but we had to get to the barrier for S.O.D.O.M.!!!! Tom, Alex, Ellen and me all wore our Königsblaue Westwoudse AC/DC Fans shirt and I had sown a FC Schalke 04 patch on the one destined for Tom Angelripper 8-) and off they went:
- The Vice of Killing
- Sodomy and Lust
- Outbreak of Evil (Bernemann clearly is no Schalke fan, as he dismissed the sight of the blue and white shirt ;) )
- Agent Orange
- M-16 (Angelripper takes off his shirt, so it’s time for me to throw the shirt; being cheered as a hero by the Enkhuizer Youngster Metalheads 8-) Angelripper drapes the shirt around the S of the logo on the drum kit 8-) )
- Caligula (I think, it was one song off Decision Day)
- Sacred Warpath (Makka isn’t Schalke fan either, as Bernemann gets ordered to remove the shirt :-/ )
- Remember the Fallen (kilograms of goose bumps!)
- Ausgebombt (I promise everyone that I see a Sodom patch 8-) )
Pity the sound of the band is below par, especially as the pit is great but the mix is certainly not. I don’t bother too much, I had such a great time! The rain was limited to some welcome drops of refreshment ;) During Whitechapel I get all the time to find Sodom patches. At first I thought five would do, as the merch man already thinks I am nuts. In his spare box there are 18 more Sodom patches, so I bought them all, I am officially called nutcase 8-) and hand out everyone I know a Sodom patch. This band clearly is MY band of the festival so far, the reactions to the shirt and the patches are hilarious and grateful. I wonder if Angelripper ever will wear the shirt, but I know I will wear mine to Ruhrpott Metal Meeting where I finally will see Onkel Tom do the drinking songs ;) Of Whitechapel I can say nothing more than ‘zal wel’; I really don’t like this ‘playing screechy guitars for the sake of playing screechy guitars’. I’m better off with the following Life of Agony, not by coincidence joined by Coen van der Geest and Henk M, cheering old Dynamo and Wãldrock times. I have no idea about anything the band did after Ugly, but the golden oldies still sound meaningful to me. Just like most of the older part of the crowd I simply enjoyed it. Time for a burger anyway, not because of the band or what, but I was getting hungry and had still some Sodom patches to share :) Marcel VII is the last of the happy ones, great to see you again! We had more fun to share than just Sodom patches, as Overkill got to stage. Overkill you say? OVERFUCKINGKILL it became! The band went totally through the roof with a perfect sound and one hell of a mosh pit in front of them. I got a set list from my Enkhuizer Youngster friends, thanks a lot for that! Highly appreciated!
- Mean Green Killing Machine
- Rotten to the Core
- Electric Rattlesnake
- Hello from the Gutter (Alex starts enjoying Overkill too 8-) )
- In Union We Stand
- I Hate
- Ironbound
- Elimination
- Fuck You
Bobby and D.D. are King And Admiral Of Leeuwarden for about an hour haha. Only thing that I found strange of this set was that I haven’t seen any of the Neckwreckers, Skullcrushers or other German Overkill fans! Maybe they were on Alcatraz or PartySan, I don’t know. I just had not expected not to meet any of them. Next up was Arch Enemy. I won’t buy an Arch Enemy album ever again, but the show wasn’t bad at all. Alissa simply does a good job and the band is tight ‘as usual’; fine with me, beer time! Not to be rude to Alex or something, but I’ve seen Amon Amarth so often I think I can spell out their set list and wait for him to go nuts on his own. The stage is shaped like a gigantic Viking helmet, huge horns and all, stairs for the band members to run around on, plenty of light and smoke and an audience freaking out. It was plain fun to see people enjoying themselves so much, with a beer in hand and plenty of Sodom patch receivers around me, we all have a great time. I did write some song titles, but I can’t be sure about the more recent songs. I once bought Jomsviking but gave it away after a spin and a half… here’s my summary of the Amon Amarth set:
- Pursuit of Vikings
- “new” song
- Father of the Wolf (I think)
- two songs
- Deceiver of the Gods
- Surtur Rising
- Death in Fire
- new song
- och, forget about it.
The band is in good shape and the headliner status is just. The set list of this year’s Amon Amarth show on Bloodstock held sixteen songs, as long as Alex is happy I’m fine with what I wrote. Even Daniel was spotted for some hair mileage, remember his latter comments on AA? :) Alex came back to us sweating and happier than Spongebob ;) so yes, the Van Kampen Brothers had a great day. We agreed to return the last coins to the vendor, handy to have some cash around for the taxi ride. I think I spent about € 50 on those patches (what a great deal 8-) )and some € 80 on coins, my wallet is empty once more. I don’t even know who paid for the taxi anymore ;) I clearly slept better than on Iceland LOL and the breakfast was great again. Daniel called if he could be picked up, but as Tom and Ellen took a little longer to get the sleep out of their eyes ;) Alex volunteered to pick him up and bring him home. The EllenEllen works again ;) All and all I wasn’t even half an hour later home than Alex was, so it wasn’t that sharp at all. Into the Grave held some shitty and some great bands, I will remember those Sodom patches all too well \m/ Let’s see what the second weekend of 2018 will bring us metalwise, be it Leeuwarden, Schlotheim, Walton-on-Trent, Kortrijk, Jaromér or Switzerland, metal it will be.

Reactions via http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... m-overkill ; sign in as guest and read the rest.

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:59 pm 

Schoonebeek Deathfest 2017, September 2nd, Soulburn, Fleshcrawl, Grond

How would I ever forgive myself if I’d miss a line up like this one? Fleshcrawl, Lifeless, Revel in Flesh… and then some! Daniel didn’t hesitate and bought me a ticket, soon to be followed by some texting with my buddy Maarten Vet. He was there too when we first saw Fleshcrawl, way back on Way of Darkness 2011. Man, time flies when you have metal to look forward to. Daniel tried a hotel but it was full and there would be cabins for rent for four persons, bring your own bed sheets! Hello Gothenburg Deathfest? :) Daniel also pre-ordered shirts. At the SDF site I saw Grond is going to do their first non-Russian gig, nice band too! The cabin Daniel ordered was filled by Stip, after a great trip to Castricum he said he was happy to join us. He’d never seen Fleshcrawl but has several albums. But it was Stip that announced Maarten couldn’t/wouldn’t make it, so I just called if I could better Bram’s day… he jumped a hole in the sky :) We’d drive around 11 AM, get to the cabin and Death Metal All The Way! Even CEEFAX is happy about SDF, as it’s on page 428! [print screen added to my collection 8-) ] Hah, the joy to see the name Fleshcrawl in square printing ;) . Coffee at Lelijkstad and on… for a change we’d see a first band for once. The cabin was tiny, but what else do you need with such a friggin’line up? HJ from tap ;) We were showed the way to the festival by the cutes printed signs we’d ever seen ;) [at least Grond and Fleshcrawl were at the camping too, pity we haven’t seen them there ;) ]Coming to the festival area we found out it was actually an outdoor festival, but none of us had ponchos to stop the rain. OK, fine we walk with our hoodies on and see Coldblooded. The Dutch death metal makes a glorious start, as the first song sounds like Feeding on Angels (!) but I regret to say that quality didn’t last. The last few songs were easily abandoned in favor of sharing a beer with Bob Bagchus. Huh? Is Soulburn added to the already glorious bill? Yep, I was pleasantly surprised to see Soulburn would nearly headline today.

I stuck near the stage for Carnal Tomb as I quite liked the blunt old school German death metal. I had not heard earlier about this band but I think I will check out their zombie-filled tomb-like music ;) , I quite enjoyed myself. I decided to get back to the cabin so all new and signed stuff would be kept safe, Stip brought the blackest of black VW Golf Mk II diesel to the festival site. Handy, wise decision, because the rain didn’t easily lessen… not even when Lifeless got to stage. The Germans bashed Bram’s and my head in, wow. We were on front row and got hit by several moshers around. Set list number one, thanks to Marc:
- The Occult Mastery (damned, I forgot to buy the album!)
- Progenies of a Cursed Seed
- Moribund (first goose bumps of the day, no thanks to the rain)
- From Chaos Our Order Shall Rise
- Insanity Reigns
- Perdition of the Whore (with a penis shaped remark behind the song? Uhh, what? The first song also had it ;) )
- Godconstruct (another penis)
- Sworn to Death (such killer lyrics ;) fourth penis present)
- Rites of Desolation
- The Truth Concealed (final penis statement :o )
- Left Hand Path (fragment) UTSOTIC (God Dethroned fragment?) CG (can’t find an eligible short cut to this :-S )
The band is shouted to more and more along the set list, the band sure made friends today. Like Stip and Bram, even though that didn’t result in purchases ;) Time for a snack as I hastily put my Lifeless CD inlays in my pocket, signed and all! Marc and Sascha of Lifeless clearly had not expected to sign CDs but agreed to my request with pleasure ;) Only thing I found a bit strange was Marc’s voice, it sounded way more shrill than I expected, but that was only a minor glitch in a great show.

Grond was next. The band had not much contact with the audience, the beginning was pretty cool but somehow they couldn’t keep the attention to themselves the entire set. No one seemed interested in the set list, so I picked it up from the rainy pavement, set list no. 2:
- Invocation
- Kronos the Devourer
- Steel Coffins
- Asrtophobos [can’t help it, this is the way it is spelled on the set list ;) ]
- Howling from the Deep
- Half Life Decay
- Sea Tanks
- White Waters of South
- Worship the Kraken
- Dethroned Emperor
- - the rest of the list is way smaller print, did the band expect to headline or something?
Fine with me if you play a cover or tribute to your main influence or favorite band, but don’t make it sound like a heavy birthing! I thought Dethroned Emperor sounded saltless, but that could be just me. Clearly I had higher expectations of the band, maybe too high. Two bear hugs later (yup, Sven and Bastian nearly made me into a dwarf :) ) and two great handshakes later (Eric and Twan of Soulburn joined the crowd) got to first row for the second Revel in Flesh show on Dutch soil ever and set list no. 3 was handed to me (thanks Ralf!) :
- Emissary of All Plagues
- Casket Ride
- Shadowbreeder (second set of goose bumps today)
- Fortress of Gloom
- DeathKultLegions
- Cryptcrawler Fred (joking with the sound man)
- Servants of the Deathkult
- Torture Throne
- In the Name of the Flesh (KILLER!)
- Doctor Doctor
Thus began my journey from headache to headbanging to headache of headbanging, wrist broken from air-drumming and police's visit for the loud noise ;) Great fun to see the policeman searching for his ear plugs 8-) What a great show this was, what a great sound all day, so many happy faces… I love this! Later on I heard the police didn’t expect metalheads to be so friendly :) but the volume didn’t decrease (much ;) ) during Soulburn, setlist no. 4 handed to me 8-) Thanks Twan!
- Intro: Apotheosis Infernali
- Under the Rise of the Red Moon
- Withering Nights
- As Cold as Heavens Slain
- Absinthesis
- Claws of Tribulation (shouting with all voice chords I could spare ;) )
- Where Splendid Corpses are Towering Towards the Sun
- I Do not Bleed from your Crown of Thorns
- In Suffocating Darkness
- Feeding on Angels (I thought my chords would snap, but I managed to survive, thanks to a Lemmy from Marcel IV)
- Al Bowlly + Eden’s Last Sigh
I.Am. Soulburn. Freak. For. Life!!!! As much as I was surprised to see the band on the bill (to begin with), so much was my happiness, so high my arms, so evil my face, dental/mental problem or not! What a killer set, what a great volume, how sharp can a band be? Soulburn-sharp!! This was marvelous! Time for more Unterschrifte, as Haubersson had seen my Edding 300 and my Revel In Flesh CD inlays (damned, I couldn’t find all five of them yesterday) all have five signatures on them! Thanks dudes! But the coolness of this tiny fest wasn’t over yet, oh no, by far it wasn’t! FLESHCRAWL KILLED! FLESHCRAWL SLEW! FLESH TEARING MADNESS! ALL CORPSES BLAZING!! Of course, I was on front row all set, trying hard no to pee of pure joy and my shouts were picked up by nearly the entire crowd, delivering me my set list no. 5: (thanks Olivier!)
- Flesh Bloody Flesh
- When Life Surrenders/Soulskinner (I think I can supply an army with overdue leather 8-) of all goose bumps 8-)
- Dark Dimension
- Structures of Death (Stip shouting ever louder than me 8-) )
- Dying Blood
- Damned in Fire
- Into the Fire of Hell
- Slaughter at Dawn
- Kingdom of Skulls
- Under the Banner of Death
- Written in Blood
- Beneath a DDDDDYYYYYYYYIIIIIINNNNGGGGGGG Sun (tha rifffffff!!!)
- Made of FLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSHHHH
- As Blood Rains from the Sky (Bram ecstatic!)
- Forthcoming End
- The Day Man Lost (both Revel in Flesh and Lifeless members entered stage; Carnage isn’t easily forgotten \m/ what a great mess that delivered ;) )

Of now I can state this festival is in my top five of all favorite festivals ever!! I think I freaked out some 36 times, felt the rise of my hairs in my neck so often I lost count. I wasn’t alone in this, as Daniel, Stip and Bram weren’t the only ones totally freaked out! I think even msd saw the Fleshcrawl show :) , my Friesian friends freaked out, The Steenwijk Boys freaked out, Marcel and Masha freaked out, some band members banging their heads to several bands, this was great! The rain had stopped during Soulburn, but no one cared about any wetness, apart from the beers and Lemmy’s passed. Nearly everybody went home with a rhino for a smile, this was so great! Stip drove us to the cabin, we were flattened by exhaustion and joy. Great day for metal!

Bram awoke me around 9.40, as we had to check out at 10. Happily I ordered a round of coffees and tea, I gave the key to Stip as I thought I wouldn’t keep my coffee in and hurdled onto the back seat of my beloved Golf. We did some bread and meatballs near Zwolle, near Kampen Stip ordered apple pie as breakfast. Nice to walk around for a sec, but the wasps clearly weren’t impressed. Coming home I found a Kreator shirt which certainly isn’t mine, I thought I lost my camera but no, memories to one of the coolest festivals ever were hacked into my laptop. Bob already mailed me, we meet again my friend! I hope the Asphyx Anniversary show is going to be as cool as lovely festival. If there ever will be a second edition, I will make sure I will start a tradition for my own, just like I did with Ruhrpott and Eindhoven Metal Meeting… underground death metal to the end! Death! DEATH!! Deeeeeeeaaaaaaattthhh! [free interpretation of Éowyn’s battle cry] *grin*

http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... h-soulburn check in as guest and read the rest

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:40 pm 

Baroeg Open Air 2017, Asphyx, Destruction, Sept.9th

My fourth Baroeg Open Air in a row was already a blast when the first band was announced: Asphyx! This show wasn’t even mentioned on the Incoming Death tour shirt I bought in Dublin [as isn’t the 30 Year Anniversary show in Turock, it was still a secret then ;) ]. How is it possible to get such great bands in Zuiderpark, for free? I remember Bolt Thrower in 2014 well, it was my last BT show. 2015 brought Venom Inc. and Vader, 2016 held Angel Witch and Bodyfarm (so far my last time I’d seen them too :-S hope Thomas is all right now)… soon Tokyo Blade (NWoBHM) and Dog Eat Dog (rapmetal, is that All Boro Kings album really 23 years old? Uhm, I hope they leave the sax at home…) were announced. If ever I needed someone to get my car full, just add… Destruction! Never mind second stage ;) but Drunken Dolly would be on third stage…

I awoke from the God Dethroned show with a dead mole in my mouth, put my story to the net and went back to bed, only just in time to awaken to Daniel’s call ;) We’d take the 13.30 train, loads of rail work along the road (between Hoorn and Zaandam, between Woerden and Rotterdam) and a detour consisting of train 1, bus 1, bus 2 (huh?), intercity direct 1 and metro to Zuiderpark. Twee woorden, negen letters :-/ even worse: some 6 brainless Ajakkes fans to accompany us with boring simple songs and a man my senior behaving like he’s 14 like the rest :o It was relaxing to me after all, as I felt quite comfortable with the Blonde d’Aquitaines, Blaarkoppen, Texelers and Flevolanders :) Daniel had brought his colleague Wanda, just like yesterday. Coming to Rotterdam the sun made its debut of the day. It got busier and busier, I think a lot of people waited for the rain to get away… decide to go after that. These people didn’t really come for Dool, because it sounded kut, even from a distance. We already missed Dog Eat Dog, they’d play at the time I still saw sheep and cows ;) So, my main attraction soon began: Asphyx!! The band got a full tent in front of them and they get what I expected: a fierce band, Martin in the best mood ever as he was so happy to finally play Rotterdam with his major band, have a great sound and an audience of old and young stretching the tent and all smiles to the limit. I got a set list from a roadie but gave that away to some lovely teenager who was clearly impressed by Paul ;)
- The Quest for Absurdity
- Vermin
- Brandenburg Division
- Wardroid (thanking Baroeg, Vrienden van Baroeg and all volunteers)
- Death the Brutal Way
- Asphyx – Forgotten War (huge pit behind me \m/ )
- Deathhammer (introducing the band, Martin calling himself like the nastiest gay Holland has :) )
- Scorbutics
- We Doom you to Rotterdam ;)
- Forerunners of the Apocalypse (remember 1,3 Million people decapitated in four months :o )
- medley of Bloodswamp and Wasteland of Terror (‘wie dit niet kent, kent geen flikker van Asphyx’ :) ; not on the set list)
- The Rack (discussing if the band would simply play on :) ‘nah, we’d just get into trouble’ :) )
- Last One on Earth (explaining the feeling after hurricane Irma, wander witlessly through devastation on St. Maarten/Saba/St. Eustachius, not a soul understands what happened)

Beef, veal, pork, lamb, shawarma, knoflooksaus, that’s about what my arms felt during the third Asphyx song and beyond ;) This was the twenty-third show I’d seen the band do and I’m still impressed! I instantly decided Wanda needed an Asphyx shirt and introduced her to Lisa, Christel, Alicia and Anna, the ladies thinking I’d finally got into a relationship [huh? Nah, she’s cool but she’s taken] and I helped a ravenously drunk Sonia to meet Paul again haha. The beers had no effect on me at all, but I needed something to eat so I got half a chicken with salad, no fries and another beer and had a great discussion with Wanda. Turns out she’d gotten nearly half her stuff for free from the laughing ladies ;) She got me a shirt as well and will return home with vinyl, special edition CD/DVD, patch, stickers and the Asphyx groceries bag ;) When my half chicken was reduced to fatty fingers and bones I got to the second tent stage as the bar near the big tent held seven rows of customers… I got typical Rotterdam gabber to blow the bubbles into my beer by some Funtcore DJ or something. I met four Pims, half of Bodyfarm, Jordi & Kimberly and got a glimpse of Tokyo Blade. I knew I’d seen the band on a Heavy Metal Maniacs festival once, but I was so goddamned drunk that time I totally forgot what I’d seen. What I heard didn’t make me enter the tent, as the band sounded like a bad Iron Maiden rip off, hopelessly outdated to my taste. Fuzzy pictures and round up the Westfriesians to get rid of our hands full of coins… Daniel is not a big Destruction fan but he knew I’d like to see at least two, three songs. The band did a great job (beginning with Curse the Gods, Nailed to the Cross and Mad Butcher), in front of the stage it was a nice mess, but we had another metro-intercity direct-bus1-maybe bus2 ride in front of us. What did we get: the same obnoxious Ajakkes fans, but now drunk and even louder/sillier than the trip to 020… Even if the club won, they’re not satisfied… dirty success-followers… sigh… I’d heard from Agga Feyenoord had won too and he told me Erwin was so off the rocker drunk he didn’t even know his tobacco befouled his beer haha picking the leafs from between his teeth must have been hilarious to see. Sander even told me to ‘pak Rhea op d’r bek’ so I had to kiss her goodbye too ;)

Indeed, Baroeg Open Air 2017 was over again. We set out to see Asphyx and were satisfied to the bone, hitting us hard in the guts, slamming our heads together, a sea of arms in the air, few crowdsurfers present and everything else to tell a great tale. The bike ride home was one of humming my favorite Dutch Death Metal Masters through my own MP3s, no more rain, but metal!!
Krushing at the Zuiderpark
Hear the hordes rejoice (not just me ;) )
Filth to feed the Vermin (020? Hah!)
'N beer to oil the voice (Jupiler is OK)
We'll beat your eardrums useless (yup, thank the inventor of the ear plug)
And tie you on the rack (no matter in which position)
Bones and nerves are grind to pulp (by the hundreds ;) )
We are fucken back (I’ll return too)
Again we set the standards (are you listening, tante Tutje?)
Get the message clear (I get it)
Leave the fucken stage, bitch (the men are all taken ;) )
No room for you here (people who are never satisfied)
Mercy won't be given (get the Zyklon to the bus)
As we enter our domain (I’m near)
Endlessly you'll suffer (with tobacco between your false teeth ;) )
On the altar of pain (Baroeg itself is next, according to Martin)
Merchants of brutality (keep up the cool merch)
Death our only rule (I like me some thrash too)
The doctrine of true metal (death to false metal)
Godz of the old school (Martin, Paul, Stefan, Alwin)
Die by fucken Asphyx (time after time)
Ultra loud we slay (mercilessly)
Skinned alive you humbly beg for (another set list? ;) )
Death the brutal way!!
© Asphyx (and me)

I think I have an idea for my tombstone…

Check in as guest on http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... sphyx-sept and read the rest

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:44 pm 

God Dethroned, Manifesto Hoorn, Sept.8th

God Dethroned is back on the warpath! The band, that had been disbanded and reformed for at least three times, is definitely in full pursuit once more; releasing the third episode of the Great War Trilogy and doing shows again, now not just the fun gigs, but also the smaller ones. I heard from Tony the band was booked for Manifesto, but he instantly said ‘be happy people watch their agendas, otherwise we would have had this band on September 9th’. Instant reaction: “Baroeg Open Air” return: ‘yep, no one would have come when you’re not around a Hoorn metal show’*big grin* As a thank you, I bought tickets 0001 and 0002, one for any company that would join me. Tom soon said he wasn’t going to make it if he’d joined me to Baroeg Open Air, but Thirza told me the other way round: ‘Ahh, Manifesto, cool it’s on a Friday, as Saturday my school goes on again’. So, Thirza on Friday to God Dethroned, Tom on Saturday to Asphyx and Destruction. Later on I bought more tickets, again as thank you, as Dave P got to Westwoud to bring back the awesome gifts Andrée and Kathe had brought to Stonehenge: a 10” of Warsaw Rising and a special edition of The World Ablaze on 12”. I’d bring my special edition CD and the vinyl to Hoorn, see if I could get them home in one piece… Alex got a ticket through the mail.

Week came and went, Tom couldn’t make it at all. ‘I’m flat broke, abyss in my wallet present’ so I’d go alone. OK. Because of the heavy rain I thought I’d better get my kroegbarrel into my car, but doing so made me already so wet I’d better change shirts before heading to Hoorn. I called Stip if he’d join me [and possible drive me dryly :) and I still had his Pleasure to Kill shirt] but I got voicemail. Alex was surprised I was so early but the first HJ was welcome. Coming to Manifesto was a nice mess, plenty of unknown metalheads to conquer I so ;) on found Peter and handed him his Wognumse AC/DC Fan shirt, it looks glorious! The first band was accurately on time, but not really accurate to my likings. The band is called None Shall Fall (Immortal or Hate Malice Revenge? None of the above) and they play some powerviolence/slam/deathcore thingie. They’re local to Beverwijk and Alkmaar but I hope they stay there. The last songs weren’t that bad to be honest, but I won’t need them on my Dutch Denim. Neither does Seita, without Dom Mura now, they have nearly lost their Machine Head-, Korn- Pantera- and Chaos AD-era Sep- anchor, but at least it’s accurate to me. The band is simply doing their thing the no-nonsense way for about 4, 5 songs and I'm off to the foyer/bar/outside. No need for a purchase other than beer. I was thinking of getting Alex something of God Dethroned, but left the choice to him. Without thinking, I got Jeroen's bass pick during the sound check *cool* God Dethroned… fire, bullets, mud, shell shocked us to death. Amazing! The band is in (world a-)blazing form, it’s loud (enough for Manifesto visitors), it’s sharp, it’s filthy AND clean, the lights are OK, but why the fukc does the band (and me, as I was on first row of course) get a double beer shower?! Henri soon notices he’s in some kind of Friesian hillbilly village, no need to correct him this way! I had to shelter my vinyl and special edition as I didn’t want my signatures dribbled away :( I don’t get it. West-Friesland clearly needs metal, as even Johnny, Jeroen, John, Marcel III, Suzan, Smit, Sven, Dave, David and Luco (!) freak out, but why the hell throw beer at a blazing band and their rigorous headbangers in the front? With a set list like this, no one needs to befoul another…
- The World Ablaze
- Villa Vampiria
- Boiling Blood (are my arms already heavy? It’s only the third song :) )
- Nihilism
- No Man’s Land (there goes my voice ;) )
- Poison Fog (Alex starting a pit, helped by Thirza, of course I hack in *cool* )
- At the Wrong Side of the Wire
- The White Army
- Soul Capture 1562
- Storm of Steel (razorrrrrrrsharp goose bumps!)
- Annihilation Crusade (KILLER SONG!!!)
- Sigma Enigma
- Soul Sweeper (thaaaa riffff!)
- Hating Life

Hating Life would be the encore, but the band clearly has had it with the one fool (…) and doesn’t return to stage anymore. I still needed one signature, so dripping wet I hung around the stage some more. I get offered beer to cool down, beer for my voice, beer for the doof to be corrected (he’s lucky I didn’t meet him, I was pretty, pretty pissed off at him) and beer for the road home or to Baroeg Open Air. Thanks Michael ;) Alex decided it was in my best interest to kip at the couch, so my dreams are nearby. Dreaming of modern death metal the Beilen way, without beer shower, maybe a hint fuller venue, but with such a sharp sound and great volume any metal band can wind me and (still) quite a few others up. My sister in law even apologized for not having paprika powder for my omelet, but it was great anyway! Coffee, coffee, open up your eye lids and try to comprehend what just happened the night before… one of Holland’s sharpest blackened death war machines conquered Hoorn. And me. And Alex. And Thirza. Metal at the right side of the wire!

http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... hoorn-sept be the guest and read the rest

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:43 pm 

Memoriam, De Vorstin Hilversum, Sept. 14th

Is it suitable or coincidence this gig is on Martin ‘Kiddie’ Kearns’ death day? First answer: yes, as this band STARTED as sort of memoriam to Kiddie, second answer... I honestly don’t know. I just see it as a great gig, OK it’s on a weekday, the tour goes on after this, but Memoriam has gotten so much tighter since I first saw them. Daniel agreed and he got us tickets. At first we might head out from my office, but as that would mean a far too long day for me and the gig wouldn’t start before 9 PM, I chose to get home first. Eat quietly, nice little nap and off to Hilversum. There would be three bands tonight, death metal it would give.

Entering Hilversum is always a rollercoaster ride. If your sense of direction is false, you think you’ll never reach the inner part of the city. But no worries, the KiddieKiddie still works. Coming to De Vorstin we soon found out there was some student dance party in the big hall, the friendly security workers lead us upstairs. The balcony would be closed, but according to FB there would be some 48 interested or interesting people heading tonight. First band started soon, it’s Paper Doll Decay, or should we say Paper Dull Decay? The Dutch death metallers can play, OK, but the vocals of Janneke de Rooy have such a huge Angela Gossow stigma it gets boring soon. She must be able to do more than look angry, tip the devil horns and sound like a plough through heavy clay. Daniel says: ‘Deffo in Decay’, I come up with ‘Paper Doll Delay’, as the sound effects on the vocals are abundant. When there’s some instrumental part you can notice the guys CAN play, but a second guitar player can give some much needed melodic interlude. Janneke does get what she wants though, as during the last song (dedicated to the deceased father of one of the longtime fans) a 6 man circle pit makes some mileage. Three times, three times on command :o

We met Spaniard Carlos and had a great chat about Bolt Thrower, Boltfest and the places at least one of us had seen The Grin & Co. Second band tonight was Fractured Insanity from Kortrijk, Belgium. Daniel had looked them up and thought they’d play ‘just OSDM’. They might or might not surprise live… uhm a cross between Krisiun and Deicide is what we got. When one guitar fails the band sounds and looks even more like the Brazilian Bashers, maybe with some shorter hairs ;) After the Memoriam show I got a set list, to whom it may concern:
- Suicidal Holiness
- Inferno of a Narcissist
- Mass Awekeless (er?)
- Forced to Rome [or would they make butter? Forced to Roam :) ]
- Insanity’s Haze
- Ablasted Life (this band needs an English course, seriously! :) )
- All Shall Fade
- Man Made Hell

Even if this band is from Flanders, the Dutch speaking part of Belgium, I won’t get myself some cotton nor silverware. It wasn’t bad, but simply too simple and forgettable to me. I had seen some merch and got myself a Memoriam shirt, with a lonely soldier near an abandoned grave… Yes I found this gig suitable on this day. Karl Willets explains after the second song this IS a special day to the entire band + crew and for Kiddie they gave an all guns blazing salute! The band is really in top form, thanks the audience nearly between all songs, this is a worthy memoriam! I made a picture of the set list, not knowing I’d get an original set list from Daniel (THANKSSSSS!!!!) after the show:
- Memoriam
- War Rages On
- Dronestrike
- Nothing Remains (for Kiddie, a new song, ‘he’s dearly missed, but we move on’ \m/ ; what a cool song!)
- The Captive (Sacrilege cover, Karl explains this band was one his reasons he wanted to be in a band himself)
- Reduced to Zero (whoahhh what a great track!)
- Corrupted System
- Surrounded (by Death)
- Resistance (RehhhsissssstAAAAnce :) )
- Spearhead/Powder Burns
- Flatline

With the picture of the set list I thought Spearhead and Powder Burns would be played as a medley, but both songs were played in full! The set list has six numbered songs, but not like 1,2,3, and so forth. Memoriam is 1, War Rages On is 5, Corrupted System is 2 and so on. I have no idea what it means but this gig was great! Screw some numbers, the only number I find interesting is how many people showed up ànd liked this gig. All and all there were some 150 people present (it remains a week day of course) and most of them had a great time. I wasn’t surprised about the amount of Bolt Thrower shirts, it was fun looking at the different tours to be found on their backs :) Same with ancient Unleashed-, Death-, Asphyx- and Gorefest shirts. The newest Death shirt belonged to Memoriam guitarist Scott :) Even Karl reminded his audience about his past and was happy this band’s future was in good hands ;) looking at the amount of Memoriam goodies sold. I got a huge patch from Daniel (thanks again!), said shirt, a metal pin and a huge Memoriam bass pick. The roadie had a big hand full and shared the bass picks as confetti :) I spoke to a lady, about my age, she said she was so happy to see Karl in a band on a Dutch club stage once more, I replied ‘if only for Karl’s Grin, I show up’ LAUGHS ;) In the car home Daniel told me he was tempted to go to Helmond, by car already 198 km, no idea how long it’d take by train ;) to see another gig. But, work work work, nah, that’s not going to happen. Not for me as well, as I’m satisfied fully but also dead tired. The road home was filled with more death metal and even cut off The Shavers to keep the death metal flowing [ © Chuck Schuldiner estate ;) ]. We got a swift chicken something at Lelystad, I was more hungry than I expected. But smiling widely. This band simply cannot do wrong in my opinion, it’s still death metal – no compromise! Hellfire in Hilversum!

ideas who'd fit as support act ;) : http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... -hilversum be a guest and read the rest

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:47 pm 

Whiplash Fest feat. Funeral Whore, Sept,16th 2017 Cayen Enkhuizen
[it's a local metal festival, by God I wished the real Whiplash showed up in Holland again ;) ]
The start of the indoor gig season is here again. Venues show their planning, bands gathering momentum and fans eagerly waiting to buy tickets or plan trips themselves. Cayen in Enkhuizen is no different in this, their Whiplash Fest is usually a good excuse to mount my bike and get me some metal. Maybe drink in at De Slof with Daniel, who knows? This year Cayen friends (and mine ;) ) Funeral Whore returns to Enkhuizen, bringing two more bands. Both bands are new to me, so I tried to get there on time. I stopped at De Slof but no one I knew was there. I started texting but when I tried Bram’s number he was already in front of me ;) I got smashed in darts twice before heading out to Peperstraat 2. There were some 8 smokers outside, including Roy of Funeral Whore and Wanda and her hubby Brian. Getting my first beer I was greeted by Judas Priest – Breaking the Law and Sepultura – Necromancer, so at least the DJ was in for it ;) A lot more Sepultura followed ;) It took at least an hour before it got a bit more crowded and then the first band was allowed to excite us. The band Loco-Motive was announced as ‘hard rocking stoner’ but had a pot pourrie of influences, way wider than stoner or hard rock: Black Sabbath, Motörhead, Queens of the Stone Age, Rory Gallagher and Peter Pan Speedrock; the band is clearly in for hunting souls and eating raw flesh! I’m sorry they didn’t bring any merch, otherwise I think I’d bought most of it ;) You can download the EP Driven to Fall (for free, don’t get distracted by the Buy Now button :) ) via their bandcamp page: https://loco-motive-groove.bandcamp.com/releases Daniel got me the set list: (Thanks!! I have to keep it to what the paper says :o )
- Clutch
- Porn
- Loco
- Driven [to Fall, probably :) ]
- Flow
- Burning
- Takin
- Rebellion (my favorite song of the set)
- PJ
- Bad End
- Dancing [with the Devil on my Back, it’s on the free downloadable EP, what a killer bass intro!]
This band is suitable for both Stonehenge festival, Zwarte Cross and a local BBQ :) Kellie soon found me *blush* and Sunburn got to stage. The flyer said ‘doom’ but this was way more aggressive than I expected doom to be. The band gets 45 minutes to blast any darkness, ice or snow into the cartilage of the ears… https://www.facebook.com/Sunburn2014/ watch that YT thingie! It’s been a while since I saw a drummer soooo into his own groove ;) and holy hellhammer, does he hit hard! Very cool band! Enkhuizen agrees, as there’s a fine pit with Roy, Stip and Lars going on 8-)

After a short rebuild Funeral Whore got to stage. The band must be the one that played Cayen most often and I think I’ve seen all shows Roy and Kellie did here. The dark, blistering loud OSDM makes the walls tremble so hard that people simply can’t stay put and an hour of war, corpses, zombies and violence is over in a blink of an eye. I made a picture of the set list (I have plenty FW set lists ;) )
- Phantasm
- Only the Coffins Remain
- Evil Manifestation
- Population None (great song!)
- East Area Rapist
- The Graveyard Silence
- When Life Turns to Ashes
- Down the Abbys (yup, spelled ;) )
- Morningside Cemetery
- Mortuary at Night
As before, Kellie concentrates on her guitar lines, Roy goes insane on stage and off and their new drummer looks at it thinking ‘whaaa??’ :) This is great; it’s underground as fffk and especially loud enough. OSDM doesn’t get much heavier than this, I think… but still I haven’t bought their new album :o Wanda and Brian bought the lot and got it all signed. LPs, CDs, shirts, whatever. I got Kellie’s guitar pick instead.
It had stopped raining long enough to mount my Batavus Holiday and swerve off home. The boys wanted to get back to De Slof but I had had enough. Three bands, three styles of heavy music, three brands of beer, yeah you get it. Underground or death!

http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... urn-motive sign in as guest and read the rest.

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:51 am 

Anathema, Alcest, 013 Tilburg, Oct. 6th

Anathema is a band I’ve been following on and off for as long as I first heard their name, back in 1996. I still have a flyer of an Anathema gig with My Dying Bride in Patronaat, but it took me to 2010 to first see them. Judgment and Alternative 4 are albums that have a deep place in my heart, I like Serenades, but some of the others I don’t play at all (like Eternity). That the band evolved over the years could mean I’d be totally bummed by seeing the show, but I could get highly emotional as well; my father loved the Alternative 4 album too. When the tour for the new album was announced I remembered Jordi telling me I could crash at his place, probably he knew not many of my friends would join me to see the Cavanagh brothers. For Alcest I thought Daniel might join me, but he decided a whole bunch later. I met Axel at the gas station, thanks to Deutsche Bahn and a storm no Berlin Deathfest for him :-/ Work early, park at the office, pick up Daniel at Amstel (not the beer ;) ), avoid A27 Friday hell, get to Jordi, try to be in time… I was thinking about texting Clemens about this gig, but too late, he had other plans. We parked at Jordi, Daniel already had heard he’d be later. Pity Kim was sick, she might not join us. We ate after a nice walk through the city, had great sateh and different beers before entering 013.

We didn’t have to wait long for Jordi, nor the band. Alcest came to stage, smoke filled the room and here they are. Would it be so special as at Brutal Assault? http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... ger-amarth
No, but it was good none the less. Sometimes the band sounds so simple, but powerful, sometimes it was carried all over the crowd, sometimes it withered, sometimes blunt and heavy. This is an interesting band to say the least, as the vocals also differed quite a bit. The band also hasn’t forgotten their black metal roots ;) The lights were killing me big time, Daniel gave me a tip: try to listen with your eyes closed. At first I felt a bit wobbly doing so, but I steadied soon enough and yeah, the lights still come in, but not as harsh as before. I noticed I could see something like my own orange lightning show within :) Jordi soon joined us, along with his sister. He was the one for another tip: get to the upper bar, there the lights are not in the same angle as below. It worked! Thanks guys! Seeing the audience from above I noticed only two headbangers, of which I recognized… Daniel \m/ :) . I think Alcest got some 45 minutes to perform and I was totally happy again. As Jordi said he had a pile of patches, I bought him and myself a nice Alcest patch.

Anathema followed swiftly. I only had seen some three or four songs on a Graspop once (see http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... e-anathema ) and my reaction was a bit weird… I thought of Star Trek once, sometimes Simple Minds (!), sometimes viscous, sometimes emotional (to me, hearing Lost Control and Fragile Dreams can do funny things to my brain and lachrymal duct…) Before the show Daniel mentioned he did not need to see the entire show, but we got to see the encore as well, including the Shine on You Crazy Diamond intro of Fragile Dreams. I loved it. The visual effects were awesome, sometimes just clouds, sometimes pictures of abandoned cities, despair, cold, confusing. Extremely satisfied we got to Jordi’s car and got to his place. I got on an electrical air bed that changed to hammock during the night :) and the breakfast was a treat! Lovely eggs with bacon and cheese, great coffee, yeah, Jordi and Kim know how to satisfy their guests! Chapeau! Thanks a lot, also for the exclusive 013 shirts you shed to us, they look great and sleep even better ;) After this great breakfast it was time for more metal.. Graveland here we come!

Anathema, Alcest, Jordi, Kim, thanks!!! True metal is more than music, it’s friendship! And… I look forward to your denim, Jordi! \m/

Be a guest and read the rest: http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... th-tilburg

Last edited by herrieman72 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:52 am 

Graveland fest III, Oct. 7th, Hoogeveen, The Haunted, Asphyx

On my hunt for my 25th Asphyx show I had seen 2017 is a Year of Asphyx for me. Dublin, Dark Easter MM, RockHard, Baroeg Open Air, who knows what else? Maybe Summer Breeze, still discussing this with Tom beginning of June. On the shirt I bought in Dublin Hollandscheveld was mentioned, wasn’t that County Hoogeveen? Yeah it is. Ticket bought when Daniel announced to go, checking out bands beforehand. Let’s see what the weather does early October, might camp as well. Uhm Daniel is done camping so I booked a hotel in nearby Ruinerwold [including long lost memory of Los Vast Spektakel, “How are you doing Ruinerwold? Are you in for some of the best Dutch live bands ever?” © NCRV 1983 8-) feat. Centerfold, Roberto Jacketti, Anita Meyer and other chanceless acts ;) I was 11 years old, hoping for Normaal to enter after every song, but no. Suck. LOL ]. I had been to the very first edition of Graveland (then called Graveland Deathfest) with Terrorizer LA and Belphegor, but missed the second edition. See http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... r-pentacle
Daniel told me to check out LIK, I’d seen Distillator on the bill, we go. Easy peasy. For a while I thought Wanda and Bryan wouldn’t go, as the weather forecast was rain, rain and more rain. I had no idea if this festival would be indoor or outdoor. The day before the festival I got a call from Pim Utrecht if he could be picked up and as we headed out from Tilburg Utrecht wouldn’t be a big detour. He’d bring a tent as he had no hotel, Sonia would be picked up by her father after the gig. During the trip to Hoogeveen Pim kept moaning he wasn’t sure if he had brought his tent sticks, but check beforehand! I even called to say we’d be 15 minutes later than agreed… thanks to the awesome Jordi breakfast ;) We dumped Pim and Sonia at the door, drove on to Ruinen and checked in. I was happy the hotel wasn’t full yet, as I had booked only a one-person-room? :o :o No problem, pfoei! The hotel even offered a course Drent language :) The taxi driver used to be a big Normaal fan so there’s Los Vast for our herrieman. Great guy! We asked if he could pick us up at 11.30 PM, also no problem!

We knew the festival begun earlier than we arrived, but Bart claimed we had not missed much. Disfuneral was the replacement of LIK and that sounded OK to me. Not too difficult old school death metal, gone before I could make specific notes ;) Daniel said he’d rather had had LIK, but I think we will see them in due time… Second band for us today was Spectral Voice, announced as doom-doom-death ;) and that’s right. Slow like lava, heavy as hardening concrete, überblunt doom death is what we got. Their drummer also does vocals and that’s not the only connection to Autopsy; it’s as dirty as the Oakland Riders of Disease ;) Third band today was the reunion show of Absorbed, featuring Jeroen Pomper of God Dethroned on bass, Jeroen Vrielink of Herder and Entrapment (guitar) and if my memory is right, Michiel van der Plicht on drums (also God Dethroned). Singer Jim Klaarmond sounds like Arny Schwarzy in his best days (Conan the Barbarian 8-) ) and the music circles between Autopsy, Pungent Stench, Bolt Thrower and Entombed. The course Drents is needed, ‘wie bin Absorbed, wie kommuh ut Hooghevehn un wie spiele doodskistemuziek’ ;) [We are Absorbed, we come from Hoogeveen and we play casketmusic 8-) ] Very cool! I think I can start looking for patches and the demo, EP and full length. This band needs and deserves a spot on the Dutch denim \m/ . I did find Wanda and Bryan, bought them Asphyx- and Distillator patches just when Distillator got off stage. The Enschede Thrashers have a sharp, fast set ready for any headbanger that can keep up! The band played songs off every piece they ever released, focusing on Summoning the Malicious. Guerilla Insurgency was early in the set, no Slayer cover this time. Great! At the merch stand Martin van Drunen found me and called me ‘the man who’s nowhere to be seen’ and we had a great chat about the Pestilence years, along with what I think was a friend of Patrick Uterwijck as well. Cool! I got myself a festival shirt and a trucker cap, the latter to be cut up for the Dutch Denim. I like the logo, but that trucker cap doesn’t seem to like me… Beware of the scissors ;) time to eat as well, the meatball on a bun was delicious but the kroket too hot to handle ;)

My tip for Bryan was Necrowretch. I thought he’d like the vile, filthy blackened death metal and my presentiment was good: the band killed! It was like seeing Nifelheim without the Twins ;) or Desaster with an even sicker singer haha. He returned to the car with an arm full of Asphyx (LP, CD, patch, whatever) and returned in time for Blood Incantation. The Denver, Co band with the really illegible logo is not indigestible; doom death metal all the way. Not for an entire set though, I noticed I kept walking between bar, groups of friends and toilet. I also found the 24th Sodom patch to displace :) [see Into the Grave review http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... m-overkill ] another Overkill logo and an Epica one for the Neckwreckers denim. I got a Municipal Waste pin pushed into my hands, but from a strange angle, so I couldn’t even see who gave it to me :o [sorry!] Highly appreciated, but I should have wrecked my neck to see who gave it. Talking to so many friends (Martin, Alex, The Steenwijk Boys, John, Ed, Wanda, Bryan, name them) made me miss Tribulation, Taake and later even headliner The Haunted, but first… my reason to show up anywhere, nowhere to be seen, everyone around, the band I made the most miles for.. Asphyx! The band got an hour to doom Hoogeveen to death and my trembling body, this was another great show. The band did a slightly different set than on RockHard but as the setlists were wet and torn, I didn’t get one. OK, fine with me, I enjoyed it anyhow. I shouted myself completely hoarse and Wanda next to me banged her head like a dog chasing its tail. The pit behind me hit me several times, but no harm done. I enjoy people enjoying themselves, especially to My. Favorite.Live.Metal.Band.Ever. So. I said it. My favorite live metal band ever. I mean it. 24 shows, only one let down, always a smile to be returned, mostly with a great sound/volume, no need to bother about the lights. I stood first row and held my ground. I get nearly as strong arms as Epke Zonderland, all I need is a horizontal bar and I lift myself up :) Paul handed out beers to the entire front row, as he had a trey beer as big as a bear in hibernation, Martin shining like a star, Alwin just being cool, Stefan pounding the poor kit to dust. Awesome! Daniel later said he thought the band to play hastily, but I never noticed that. Opinions may vary, that’s cool.

I kept walking, talking and beering, inside, outside, had a final bite of fries, totally forgot about bands performing. I was still full of Asphyx, I didn’t need Tribulation or The Haunted at the moment. I don’t need to see a band with a singer that thinks it’s cool to paint a swastika on his chest for shock value, in friggin’Germany! Taake, fuck the hell off. The taxi stood waiting for us, we were asked to tell our stories about the day and back to Ruinen it was. Breakfast was pretty good, as long as you could find the plates ;) coffee needed pretty hard. The Heinies went in fast and hard. The metal was mostly hard and fast, apart from the doom parts of Blood Incantation and Asphyx. The atmosphere was relaxed all day, the food was OK and affordable, the sound mostly good, even though the mix board had been replaced after the first band. That the program was delayed about an hour was no problem, at least not to me nor anyone I spoke during the day. After a great breakfast we picked up Pim, there were some eight tents all along :) and chucked him out of my beloved Golf at Zwolle train station. We agreed that these little East-Holland festivals are all more relaxed than shows in, say, Haarlem or Amsterdam. Next year’s date for Graveland is already known: October 6th 2018. No bands announced yet. Fine. I keep an eye out, keep the number of the taxi nearby (the other we phoned would take more than an hour to get there… nah. Faster to arrive and much better conversation ;) ) and no need for boots/poncho/extra shirt/notice for next time. Doom death the Hoogeveen Way!

Beguest and read the rest: http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... ncantation

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:52 am 

Airbourne, Melkweg Amsterdam Oct. 13th 2017 [I know, Airbourne isn't metal, but as the support act is a thrash metal band I thought I could post it. If not, fine, remove it. Hereforth, you're warned. Or not.]

There are a lot of Australian bands that conquered me. AC/DC is of course my all time favorite band, closely followed by Rose Tattoo and Deströyer 666 and make no mistake in my love for the brothers O’Keeffe and Co. There is a certain roughness to Australian bands that appeals to me greatly. They play on rock festivals, they do metal meetings, they tour themselves apeshit and have fun, fun, fun. I don’t have all albums, but you know it’s Joel whenever some song plays in the car, on YT, on Stingray, whatever. There is some boyish rebellion in the band, especially their old material, which makes me smile and remember my early AC/DC fanboy years :) So, when this tour was announced I was on the hunt, bring Tom along too, we share our fanatical eagerness to those Aussie bands. But I miscalculated a bit, as I did not put Friday the 13th on his agenda and yeah, then someone else plans something. No problem for Airbourne, as I knew Alex loves it too. Forget about this rotten membership thing of Melkweg and off to a great night of rock’n’roll. I got to Hoorn with a tough wind against me, but as I had AC/DC on the MP3 I just smiled, even though I hardly had enough air to smile :) Wanda had been mailing me for quite some time, pick her up at Amsterdam CS and let the diamonds be unroughed ;) Of course no one of us had any idea about the tram stops, so we had to walk from Van Baerlestraat back to Lijnbaansgracht [hobby :-/ ]. The band had played Melkweg before, so they might be able to find it easier than we did :) I even remember one cancelled gig there, where I’d meet Finite Anarchy of MRU days.

At first Daniel said he was thinking of buying two tickets for tonight, as Alestom would play the small venue the same night, but he decided not to. Both gigs were sold out anyway, we could see the enormous line in front of the entrance and decided to grab a beer at Dan Murphey’s, the Irish pub on the edge of Leidseplein. Stupid owner, chuffing out a group of some 7 beer drinkers in Airbourne- and Motörhead shirts, he said they sat on the path to the bar? Uhmm, aren’t we drinking fast enough? OK, zip it, the line is gone, we go in. Pity the lights above the lockers were annoyingly blue, so we couldn’t read it was a money eater… the first €2 coin went in smoothly, but the two € 1 coins were useless? Annnnnddd gone. Kut. Meanwhile the merch man of the support act thanked me for my denim and I got an idea what Desecrator would sound like: think of Sacred Reich. It wasn’t until an hour later that Desecrator (also Aussie) got to stage and used Don’t Thread on Me as intro. OK, I hear a hint of Phil Rind’s voice, but the music had more to do with Black Album era-Metallica with an added double bass drum. Pity it got worse, later on I thought of Flotsam & Jetsam… and I have nothing with F&J. Faster songs had a touch of Acrophet, but I wonder who remembers them… why the hell the band did a cover of Born to be Wild is a mystery to me, could have been the ridiculous haircut of the singer… Alex went up front so he got the patch I so hastily bought… and gave away ;) of these guys: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/De ... 3540324406 Nice to see Kötte, Smit and the boys again, but where’s Jelle? He said so often that Airbourne is his favorite band of all time, but work or something? Don’t you ever get ONE day off?

Airbourne was playing soon, we needed that. The band had brought multiple backdrops, so you might know what song they were playing at present time :) See if I can decipher my scribblings:
- Ready to Rock (marvelous sound! Loud enough!)
- I’m Going to Hell for This
- Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast (ohhhh great!)
- Down on You
- Girls in Black (texting Jelle *evil* )
- Rivalry
- Bottom of the Well
- Breaking Outta Hell (Daniel’s favorite Aussie song)
- No Way but the Hard Way
- Stand Up for Rock’n’Roll
- Live it Up (first encore)
- Runnin’Wild (such a killer song!)

It is soooo cool to see an entirely sold out Melkweg freak out like this!! Alex and Wanda had been near stage all the way, I just kept walking into friends and beers ;) But texting ‘I wait at the merch’ was chanceless, as it’s the busiest part of the city when a show ends… so I headed out with my arms full. Now I was walking wobbly again, not just because of the beer :) We had all the time in the world to get back to Amsterdam CS and even had time to get some more Heiny in the station shop. Daniel had gone to The Cave but texted me about half an hour later. I just had a great combo meatball – omelet – mini potato and texted back, swerving the Wijzenddijkje. It’s not that wide, you know, it’s dark, you’re not sober, it’s pretty cold if you end up with your head in the silt and THEN cycle home haha. But I managed, got to bed dry and I was in for a long Saturday… sleep at 2, new tires at 10, forget my lights again, eat at Wanda’s around 5, HJ… but with a sack of memories to good’ol rock’n’roll! Nearly metal!

Not the most positive reaction through http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... lkweg-13th (check in as guest or member) but still.. ;)

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:12 pm 

Epica, MaYaN, Patronaat Haarlem, Oct.21st

Epica… how long had it been? Was it really Epic Metalfest the last time? I knew they’d play Dordrecht in 2017 before headlining a tour throughout all of Europe, but that gig collided with my birthday; Frank chose not to BBQ but head out to Dordt, strangely enough I hardly heard from him nor this gig afterwards :o . In my race to know which band first would hit ‘25th time live’ I thought it would be Epica, but I counted beyond Asphyx as this tour was announced. To be honest, it took me all my agendas to figure out I’d seen them 21 times. I must say beforehand I haven’t gotten myself to listen to their latest effort, as I can’t get the bad taste in my mouth for EMF out of my head. I bought The Holographic Principle, but it’s still in plastic. Through YT I think it’s a great record, but for times when you have something important to do and don’t need excitement about the back ground music… I got tickets for Alex, Thirza and myself, it was Peter that was the first one to show he’d be willing to join us. So, car full, don’t forget your TerrorTerror for that dreaded Haarlem and off. We go early, as Alex hates to be too late. For that we’d been to Tilburg just a little bit too often :(

We ended up in the snackbar Jeroen and Contradictions met up during Vorst in de Grond and got coffee and fries. Good idea, as the line in front of Patronaat was amazingly long, when we returned we could hop in easily. It wasn’t long before the first band got to stage but that wasn’t of much idolizing: 3rd Machine plays a plastic, static and too perfect set of whining prog with a hint of thrash (trying to please Pantera fans) or doom (trying to please Opeth fans). Best recognizable part was the click track, pouring out keyboards, an extra guitar, some vocal shit and so on. So, when the band starts to whine about applause at the end of their too long set Alex yells KLAPVEE :) https://youtu.be/A4tPB7F9KXo (google translate it, it’s a great lyric) Ughh, even Pinkpop audience forgets too easily, as Alex’ remark only gets laughs from Peter and me. Pinkpop audience is what I dreaded to meet this gig. I even thought of seeing Epica for the last time when I entered Patronaat tonight… Epica has played PP several times, also on main stage, would the normal headbanger be ignored once more? Would the normal mosher be called violent? Uhm, wait for MaYaN to start: NO. MaYaN did a great set with all characteristics the band has, all vocal forms available and well put: harsh vocals by George Oosthoek, prog vocals by Henning Basse (tenor), soprano by Laura Macrì, alto by Marcella Bovio. Within seconds MaYaN is seven times better and three times as loud as 3rd Pissoff. As I haven’t heard Quarterpast in quite some time I thought Oosthoek would be a guest singer and Mark Jansen the permanent harsh singer, but it was the other way round. Marcella Bovio is a permanent band member now as Stream of Passion is no more and Floor Jansen moved to Finland. The band was tight as hell, visually it’s a treat, not too much smoke, the mix was tip top and the volume just right. Bass between moaning (exactly fitting that song) and pounding, some fierce twin leads and twin shreds, there was an enormous contrast between the heavy-as-a-brick parts and the modest ones. Just the way Mark Jansen visions this band, started as a side project for music he couldn’t place in Epica. Sometimes we got death metal, sometimes it was real prog and then some Baroc lullabies, very cool and greatly balanced. Moments of goose bumps as well, when Bovio, Macrì were accompanied by Merel Bechtold on acoustic guitars. Their beast of a song called Human Sacrifice was reaching Morbid Angel! Speaking of Morbid Angel: my first Epica show ever was with Morbid Angel in 2003, with Jeroen and JaapJan. Hey guys, cool to see you. The band even played a new song: Enchanting. Very listenable! They ended with Bite the Bullet, with all eleven band members present, what a party to see people enjoying their own music and the reaction they received. Really great gig! I bought a set of Epica patches for Peter, Thirza and Alex (I have plenty ;) ) and a set of MaYaN buttons (MaYaN wasn’t on the Dutch Denim yet). Buying merch was a bit awkward, as I could have asked Henning Basse for a picture but couldn’t remember his name… I could have asked Merel (a personal favorite guitar player of Peter’s) for a picture but I was thinking ‘if I ask, would I blow her upside down? :( ‘) Fool herrieman. Better pick up Merel from the ground than talk to the oozoo’s of 3rd Machine nearby…

At exactly 9.30 PM Ariën van Weesenbeek got back between his toms, what would this gig bring? Mostly joy about the music, but also annoyance because of the lights. Epica had brought every friggin’battery of lights and smoke they could find, so why bother to bring a back drop if you can’t see it all night? I must say, the band is in top form again. The band can vary between a rock set, a metal set, a prog set, classical parts, death metal parts, emotional stuff, keyboard stuff and more and all guns blaze! The band has seven full lengths to choose from, logically they don’t do much of their first one anymore but it doesn’t hurt anyone. The Essence of Silence early in the set, new material, Wheel of Destiny, The Obsessive Devotion, Unchain Utopia and recent stuff get by as Simone claims ‘Long live the beer, long live the metal’ and my near-favorite track passes by: Cry for the Moon. So many times I’ve heard that song, it still brings shivers up my spine. Fun to see a band that is well oiled but also has time and energy to goof around a bit, especially with keyboarder slash clown Coen Janssen and his magical trolley of a board, skating the upper stage, playing the hand grips of guitarist Jansen or Delahaye, letting Jansen help him with the key riffing and of course the bended board he plays IN THE PIT. Isaac Delahaye gets his little solo spot when the band thanks former guitarist Ad Sluijter. Isaac starts to wind up the audience by asking if they want the band back ‘then shout “Ad” instead of “hey” LOL. I would have thought Sluijter would be invited to stage (just on the Dutch dates?) but he doesn’t. Great to see the band hasn’t forgotten their roots, even though Sluijter has been out of the band for some 8, 9 years and even God Dethroned isn’t forgotten. Ariën gets a little solo spot just before the encore started, my serpent king, is he fast or what? OK, it took until the last songs and the encore to start a decent pit, but there it is. Last Epica show for herrieman? Don’t think so.

Patronaat is a mess when the show is over, mainly because of the positioning of the bar next to the main entrance and the friggin’stairs. One song Simone asked ‘to jump and sing’ and yeah, I nearly broke my ankle because the Pinkpoo doof in front of me couldn’t control his jumping. I stood straight to that little stair… The mess when the band was over was doable this time, but at the exit many people decided last minute to get merch after all, stop-and-go… Swiftly we returned to my beloved VW Golf Mk II diesel and put ‘food’ on the BelialBelial, not wanting the disgusting mayo at Sloterdijk I drove on to Zaandam ‘t Kalf for a great Ceasar something steak something and delivered family and friend home. I longed for a HJ but as my headache popped up I decided not to and got straight. Sleep in, shave, MA/MT, voetbal and Chinese and my weekend is over again. A 22nd Epica show will follow, Epica was fun. Period. MaYaN was great. Period. Metal!

Be a guest on http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... -tour-21st or become member and read the rest

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:04 am 

Backstage Metal Night, feat. Insurrection, Onkt, Backstage Hoorn Oct.28th

I thought I was in for a quiet weekend, in the Epica weekend I had not had one single drop of beer and still my Monday was wrecked. Headache, tired, busted, something. I volunteered for another weekend off booze until two messages got across: my niece Lilian has her birthday on Friday and Jessica sent ‘Metal Night in Backstage, feat. Insurrection and Onkt.’ Onkt I had seen of course, but Insurrection didn’t ring a bell until I checked MA: ohh my friend Douwe is behind the drums! So, as I had missed most of his bands performing I thought ‘have to go’. If anyone would join I had no idea, but Hoorn is on cycling distance, so let’s meet friends there. Bring (brother) Alex along maybe. Coming to Lilian’s birthday I already forgot about the gig (…) and I decided to go by car. With a head like mine I seek to relent my brain, so Bit 0,0 it became. When I parked my car I already wanted to change glasses, but when I opened my door I was spoken to ‘as it has to happen’; without glasses I didn’t recognize Bryan’s smile. He brought Wanda to Hoorn as we agreed I’d deliver her home. As an advance ‘thank you’ I got a great Morvigor patch!

Entering Backstage I was supposed to pay a fee of about a tenner, but as no one asked (hey Jessica, Ed, Danielle) I got to the bar and let the music do the rest. Minutes later Start/Over got to the miniscule stage and … bored the shit out of us. The band clearly has their heads in the end of the nineties, but with Kn0r, Slopknit and latter Fear Factory as reference their music is not my cup of tea. Add a backing track, a bad mix and a singer who can’t reach his low and has problems to keep his cleans clear it was some 30 minutes of torture to us. If their singer asks for some movement in front of stage, about two thirds of the audience heads towards the stage.. and out… for a smoke. No matter if you smoke or not, I’d like to be outside too. Their last song had the obligate Daddy Vermin touch to it, I was wondering if I’d pick up my car tomorrow and get drunk; get to the train, walk home and get my beloved VW Golf Mk II the next day. Ha. Got ya! Of course I am tempted by the HJ off bottle, but no. First another band. Onkt, crew and fans are totally in Halloween mode yet, we are clearly not. The music? Plain boring nu metal/metalcore, there’s no song dedicated to three people ("mama" Floor, Oogklep and birthday boy Michiel) that can change that. The singer has even more soil to waste his voice, as his vocabulary doesn’t get beyond ‘fuck’, ‘fucking’ and ‘cancer’. “I am mad and I am mad, you have cancer and this is my way in this band.” Ughhh. I explained Wanda about the band Water Torture I’d seen on MDF, sorta compares.

I was glad I stood my ground for Insurrection. I was thanked by Douwe for showing up, he knew I was curious about his band and the other band(s) he plays in: Enraged is in sort of hibernation, Mortuary I.O.D. definitely split up, as is Existence Denied, but Insurrection is on fire. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ins ... 3540392145 The band is eager to write, eager to rehearse and has had a lot of gigs; mostly in Germany. But West-Friesland isn’t forgotten, as Insurrection played Manifesto once too. I missed that gig, probably was near Legion of the Damned or Epica that night ;) but I will, I will and I have to see this band again. On fire is a description that doesn’t cover the entire band, it’s fierce, tight, fast and varied. Sometimes I hear speed (old Megadeth), death (At the Gates, Macabre; especially in vocals), incredible mixture of guitars (Maiden-esque) and pounding, thrilling drums (hey Douwe 8-) ). Some songs:
- Armageddon
- new song
- Dawn of Defeat (Malevolent Creation cover? Bodyfarm cover? It’s not on the EP Catatonic)
- Origin
- The Deepest Debts (?) they don’t use a set list ;) and Pieter’s Friesian accent is a bit wobbly
- Conspiracy
- Moribund (not a Lifeless cover ;) )
The band has one mosher, I thought at first he was a friend of Onkt’s, but he keeps running around people without hitting them. Friendly mosh? ;) , the atmosphere is exuberant. Some headbangers, some people move out, but they miss an unexpected encore: Pull the Plug. Wanda and me totally lose our marbles, our glasses, our hair and wreck some vertebrae… yeah this was cool. Half of Mutator agrees, I urge (Metal) Alex and Ed to get in touch with Douwe for some gigs, whether you have to drive or not. Get on the road! Compromise: get to Lelijkstad, then both bands have to drive; it’s a great venue. Or somewhere else. I’ll drive the band if I have to, I want to see that! Who went away again? The old, old Wogmeer headbangers? Pity, as Insurrection does another encore, was it the second time they played Armageddon? Could be. As Alex already got an Enraged CD from Douwe, to test the style or something, I get three Insurrection CDs: one for Alex, one for me and one ‘thank you for the Morvigor patch’ for Wanda. With winter time ahead I’m still late at home, but that’s of later worry. The drive to Enkhuizen was a great one, as we’re both sober and have more in common than we first thought. I didn’t even long for a HJ of my own when I got home, I’m exhausted. Long night or not, I want to help my brother Toon clear out his attic, even if it has to happen between the showers of rain. Grab half an hour of voetbal, shave, help Toon, Chinese and more voetbal, the weekend is over again. Sober, but metal.

Added after a mail to Douwe:
After a mail from Douwe here's the correct set list
- Intro (Respice Finem - is an Enraged song)
- The Enigma Machine
- Dawn Of Defeat
- Origin
- Comrades In White
- The Deepest Depths
- Esquire
- Apotheosis
- Pull The Plug
- Moribund
[funny what you make of song titles with ear plugs in and without actual knowledge of their songs :) ]
and the link to the band's FB: http://www.facebook.com/insurrectionofficial

and here's their song Apotheosis: https://youtu.be/9Ecp8-lKxh4

Do as Douwe did, enlist as member or guest at http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... hoorn-28th for the rest.

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:57 am 

Icelandic Metal Assault III, Musicon Den Haag, Nov.17th

At the show of The Monolith Deathcult in Gaukurinn, Reykjavik I met Diđrik Jòn [Nekron], when I was told there was a Dutch speaking man in the club :) He’s a tour promotor, plays in at least one band and is one of the world’s biggest Master’s Hammer fans. So, when Master’s Hammer was announced for Eindhoven Metal Meeting I dug up the promo card I got from him and he responded: a. he’s going to Eindhoven Metal Meeting and
b. he’s going to play with his band RÁN in Musicon and
c. he’s bringing other Icelandic bands. I found a flyer of the Icelandic Metal Asssault and wondered what to do, would I drive or take a train? Daan was of help, he’d like to join me to Den Haag. So, get a parking place at the office, pick up Daan and head out south. Daan asked whether I’d asked Stip to join, but he didn’t mention he doubted until we were on the way home O:O We parked some 150 m away from Musicon and looked for a snack joint to feed. The DaanDaan said 110 m or 250 m. Even with a great burger behind my teeth I can still walk the wrong way :) (Daan asking ‘are you sure we came that way?’ within two steps after the burger :lol: ) Coming to Musicon I already was greeted by Diđrik Jòn in full battle swing between his full band (thanks for welcoming me in Dutch ;) ) and one of the guitar players of Exile, both I had drinks with before *cool* I even got an Exile patch for free and the best promo card you can imagine: ‘Kids Birthday? Satanic Mass? Heavy Metal Festival? Then We’re The Ones To Call!’ *cool* hey, Byron’s there too! Good to see you again. This tour would be the third Icelandic Metal Assault, one of the crew wore a shirt with Icelandic Metal Assault II, also featuring RÁN. I have no idea of other bands of earlier renditions of this tour.

It didn’t take long before the first band got to stage. They’re called Adversarius and are Dutch blackened death metal. The band plays alongside old Behemoth, old Dimmu Borgir and Naglfar, the Dimmu part without keyboards, that is. We liked it a lot, the sound in the venue is good and the mix is well done; seeing the tiny mix board I had expected less, somehow. Daan did notice the band does not really mix much in riffing, but he liked the drummer. Tight and no frills.

At first I thought it would be all black metal on this tour (some 15 dates in 9 countries in three weeks) but Devine Defilement plays way more technical and with two Cryptopsy- and one Meshuggah shirt I don’t fringe. Deathened black metal, I guess, with an autistic singer and all. The man moves as if he’s an eel trying to get off my hook and off my hook the band is. Daan noticed the pounding snare drums, the feel of double guitars in one single eight-string guitar is clear, but not to me. I just nag about the silly announcements between songs, the ‘let me show I’m a doof’ attitude of the singer annoys me greatly. Let’s say Daan and me agreed to disagree about this band. I was happier with the drummer and second guitarist of Exile, thanking me for the beer at the Bait Shack *cool* and showing up here. The band Exile is exactly what I need right now: full blown raw thrash metal! See https://www.facebook.com/ExileThrash/ for details, be sure to check out the part on the truck!! It’s the truck stage that I enjoyed so much at Eistnaflug! The band has an eighties-thrash feel to it I like a lot, think of Spreading the Disease and Killing Is My Business, along with a younger version of Katon W. de Pena (in looks and attitude) on vocals. Afro all the way ;) The slower parts, scarce but present, show a love for Thin Lizzy as well. The band has a single on FB, I was sorry they didn’t bring an actual copy on the tour. I want such paraphernalia! Fun too, as the song Fucked Up and Ready to Go was announced by ‘what to expect when you smoke beer and drink weed’ heh heh heh. I did get my paraphernalia in the end, as I bought a shirt and got another patch for free! Thanks guys, doll! The merch lady sure had seen me have a great time ;)

Daan was getting tired, he’d been standing in full wind and rain all day, but he knew I’d be in Den Haag to see RÁN perform. After a short sound check Nekron announced ‘This is Hell Metal’ and burst out in a way Quorthon would not have minded on his death bed. The band is clearly influenced by Baltic and Balkan metal, as I heard clues to Root and Master’s Hammer soon. Vocally Nekron spits out like Abbath used to do on early Immortal material. Check out https://youtu.be/yL_gcTnE5Yg for a first song
or https://youtu.be/B0GpT0QdiIU as a helicopter view of the band. But, I have to admit my day had been long enough too. In the morning I had my central heating checked and at the office I had back up duty until 5 PM, so I was getting tired as well. The band has a vile touch I like, it’s tight for black metal standards, but I am still not recovered from my concussion and the lights are getting annoying. One final salute to the band (especially Nekron, of which I couldn’t make out if he’d seen me ;) ] during their third song and I look for my hoodie. Oh, when I got outside I remembered the band is two thirds Dutch, I should have bought a patch for my Dutch Denim… sorry Nekron! Hope you bring a patch to Eindhoven Metal Meeting, we can have a beer.

I did not have any difficulties finding my beloved VW Golf Mk II diesel and fire her up, in a new Exile shirt *cool* and off to West-Friesland again. At the gas station near Zaandam I got a lot of energy, as there were seven Golfs in a row, all different types, mine the best looking of course :) Somewhere near Westpoort I got a phone call from Anne (the former Puur Obscuur guitarist) “if we’d still be in Den Haag or not, ehh no, we near the Coentunnel as you speak, uhm, oh, you got to Den Haag indeed, er, good luck with the last second of the band, hmh, maybe call some earlier next time, ah be a little more accurate where to meet” haha ,that was fun. I delivered Daan home and what did my USB-player turn to: Asphyx – The Rack. I already got in the mood for Saturday!! I will proudly wear my Exile shirt to Essen! Dutch Doom Death After An Evening Of Icelandic Metal With A Dutch Touch! Metal!

Be a guest or become member and read the rest: http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... -17th-haag

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:26 am 

Asphyx 30 year anniversary show, feat. Soulburn, Pentacle. Nov.18th 2017, Turock Essen Germany

I’ve got the secret of this gig from Paul Baayens himself, in Dublin last February, to be acknowledged by Martin van Drunen on one condition: hush up. There would be a 30-year-Asphyx-celebration, bring in cool bands and/or former band members, cool location, special merch and blah blah. I had to restrain myself not shouting it off the roofs, as I’d have my own 25th Anniversary Asphyx show and I’d like to share this with as many friends as possible. It’s been 25 years since I first saw Asphyx, being support act to Bolt Thrower and Benediction in 1992. At one point I even considered skipping SummerBreeze, I’d have my Asphyx anniversary not exactly with the band… Seeing the Rockpalast video made me even happier, I hoped this show would be eternalized as well ;) Over the years I nearly saw every line up the band ever played in, but of guitarists Tonny Brookhuis and Christian Colli and bass player/singer Theo Loomans I can be sure I’d never seen them perform. What happened, just a week after the RockHard show, the band asked FB/fans to dig up Tonny Brookhuis? Huh? What? Can’t even find your primal member? ;) The week after Dublin I already booked the City hotel next door to Turock and made sure Daniel knew this would be his birthday gift. On RockHard 2017 it was announced: Asphyx in Turock, along with Soulburn and Pentacle. Within a few weeks another announcement: the show was sold out. A second gig was announced only a few days later, same venue, same bands, same price but as a Sunday matinée. We wouldn’t do the second show for various reasons: a. let others enjoy this coolness b. work on Monday c. how long do we have to wait since breakfast? My only hint to staying for the matinée to start would be if any of my German friends wouldn’t make it to the Saturday gig or they’d tell me they’d go to the Sunday gig. One thing I did notice: MetalShots Bert is going to the Sunday show, the lovely doof wasn’t in time or not invited I guess ;) I do consider myself invited 8-) :lol:

November 18th started sleeping in badly. The Icelandic Metal Assault had had its impact on my Saturday, no worries, I had all the time in the world. I picked Daniel up around 3 PM and into the rain we drove, making a dangerous turn at the hotel ;) Stupid hobby ;) In the car I heard the news Malcolm Young has passed away, I dedicate this review to him and I was happy I played some Dirty Deeds Done Malcolm Young in his memory. R.I.P. instigator of my love of my life… At the hotel some doof Saudi penguin parked at the guest place, the lady receptionist threatening her to tow away the rancid van. Oh, are you not allowed to drive? Typical. It took so long I tried another parking spot some 200 m away, so I checked in soaking wet. Hurry to Nord, as it’s near 5.30 PM and we are hungry. Inside Nord it was packed with friends (msd, Brammerman) and bands (Bodyfarm telling about shows to come! The split of Hail of Bullets wasn’t such a hard crash Stephan could not be invited. Carnation with shows planned, Sabiendas working on new material! What are Minotaur Head plans? ;) ) A great schnitzel later we got in cue for Turock, being seen by Lisa and Alicia made me smile ;) I wanted the special merch, but to be honest I skipped most of the queue pretending to get beer. Sorry queuing Asphyx fans! The special edition LS were already gone, I got the rest that was ordered by Wanda (key chain, patches, 2017 tour shirt, red vinyl of The Rack, special edition Incoming Death). I already had the button and guitar pick, so I left that to Wanda as well.

It didn’t take long before Pentacle got to stage. The band was greeted like old friends (aren’t they then :) ) with a great sound, monstrous mix and a nice cross of their entire carreer passed by. Another memoriam, now for Martin E. Ain, who died about a month ago. The band did a just tribute by playing Procreation of the Wicked even slower than the original ;) The break was short, all Bob had to do was change toms and a cymbal or two and Soulburn got to stage. The band created a dark and dirty atmosphere and it seems the band is going even more towards black metal than before. I wrote these two titles down Apotheosis Infernali, Withering Night before wanting to share a beer with Alex of Bodyfarm. I followed him upstairs, not knowing or not thinking it would be the VIP area. What I got was a lot of smiles from band member gfs and wives :) but could not deliver his beer. Back to Claws of Tribulation, before Where Splendid Corpses are Towering Towards the Sun ended a great set. My Turock card was getting full and to avoid not being able to get more beer I wanted to pay for the first card, but the doof Turock money machine did not accept my world debit card… so I had to hush through the rain to get to the ATM at the corner. Happy not many people used the ATM at the moment, as I knew Asphyx was to start soon. After a quick picture with Dan Swanö I got in halfway The Quest for Absurdity and let the birthday bash continue! A sold out Turock is always a treat to any band, but Asphyx seems to be totally at home here and give 200 per cent every song they play. Here’s what the set list picture says:
- The Quest for Absurdity (now band)
- Vermin
- MS Bismarck
- Death The Brutal Way (first big pit of the night)
- Summoning the Storm (with Wannes on bass and vocals)
- Black Hole Storm
- Rite of Shades (with Bob behind the kit)
- The Krusher (Bob, Martin, Paul, Alwin)
- Wasteland of Terror
- The Grand Denial (now band)
- It Came from the Skies
- Forgotten War (Eric, Stefan, Martin, Paul)
- Ode to a Nameless Grave (Eric, Tonny)
- Pages in Blood
- Abomination Echoes (Eric, Tonny, Ronnie, Roel, Martin, Alwin)
- Deathhammer (now band and me joining the pit)
- Food for the Ignorant (hey herrieman! ^^)
- The Rack
- Last One on Earth (Eric, Wannes, Martin, Alwin, Paul, Stefan)

You can imagine how full the stage was when all members, past and present were thanked by the ravenous crowd. This show was pure joy! Brutal, loud as it should be, everybody smiling on stage and off, beers around, great set list (loads of songs they never play) excellent merch, literally everybody happy! Everybody got a few minutes to change into something more comfortable and let the big signing session begin! I had brought my (original) The Rack, my special edition Incoming Death and the tape I once got from Bob, which brought big smiles to every person that signed it. Tonny was so thrilled he signed it twice :lol: and I have a card with every still living member the band ever had. That’s something for a nice and prominent place in my house! I’ll even frame it! I also got the time table, which I like a lot as it has all band logos on it and the special XXX-logo Asphyx used on stage tonight. The band had used a variety of old flyers, several concert tickets and fotos of many gigs as back drop, the original back drop was left at home. It was great to see all those different former and actual band members in different countries, with different audiences (including Dublin 8-) ) with different band logos Asphyx had played with. The setting was tasteful, the atmosphere cheery all night. Pity I had to check my dinner during the night, otherwise everything had been perfect this weekend. Meeting Bob and Eric at the hotel in the morning was fun too. An entire weekend of metal and friends, some 750 km travelled to see so many coolness together. Doomed to Burn Your Five Hooked Soul to 25 more Asphyxiations!

Guest or member, read the rest at http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... rock-essen

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:10 am 

Whiplash Metal Meeting November 2017 edition, Nov.25th Cayen Enkhuizen, feat. Braincasket

Cayen Enkhuizen seems on the right way concerning metal! The previous one was only two months ago, now they’d bring in Braincasket! The Friesian brutal death metal would let the stairs tremble, I guess. But, if Cayen is on the right way, why doesn’t the organization pull out more flyers or does some more internet befouling for it? It was that Wanda pointed this gig out to me, otherwise I’d totally passed it, I think. The website is completely empty, apart from the band names! No logos, no info, no links, nothing. On Friday I decided I could bring in Alex as well, but as I have to go to Utrecht the following night, I’d pick him up, be on alcoholfree stuff all night and still have a good time. I brought some flyers (…) of the Irish Tour 2018 gig: a tribute to Rory Gallagher and U2. See, it’s that simple to do promotion. :)
By bike it’s easy to get to Cayen, but by car it was a mess. Add a full Saturday night after Black Friday shopping (…) and parking was hell too. But no worries, Wanda already waited for us at the entrance. Tonight there would be two bands, but who of the Bovenkarspel Boys or the Enkhuizen Metal Youngsters would show up? None. Later I heard Daniel would be in Zaandam, I haven’t heard anything about Tijmen, Kees, Lars and the rest. Bram and Stip did show up when Powerstroke got to stage. The band is two/fifths Dutch and three/fifths Belgian and play hardcore. Harsh hardcore and clean hardcore. Somewhere between old Biohazard and latter H2O or Ignite and something way more commercial. We could deal with the harsh parts, Wanda and Alex even made a bumpy pit :) but the clean parts killed it for us. To the band it was special as the singer announced this gig to be a try out for the new CD, but to us it was a signal to get downstairs and enjoy a bit of fresh air. Just as Braincasket was about to begin, Alex mentioned he was hungry. I knew a showarma place not too far, but how far am I in Enkhuizen again? Uhm, only a block away. I got the little veal chebab with monstrous amounts of garlic. Nice girls OK, but not tonight (Beau ;) ) and back to the orange sodas and 7-UP (Stip). Braincasket was only working on their second song when we re-entered. The band, who had not brought their bass player Flappen. Oh, are they playing in their Temple of Eternity setting? Nah, close, but this is blunt extreme death metal, not thrash/death. Add the second vocalist and all thrashness is gone haha.

The band made some jokes about the last two Morbid Angel albums and played Day of Suffering as a tribute. During the entire set Bram totally freaked out, Stip has a great time, Alex and Wanda join the one punker in the pit, but I am drained. Do I experience an extreme after dinner dip? Point was, I lost all energy when I got back to Cayen and my Braincasket show was a short one. I could not bang, I could not mosh, I did enjoy myself, but was totally drained. Alex soon spotted it, so did Wanda, so it wasn’t strange I quit. Even the band picked it up, but I couldn’t care. I went. Brought Alex home and was happy we’d been playing Maiden’s Killers and Somewhere in Time, I could keep awake.

Coming home all I could do was put my pictures on my laptop and hit the pillow. What could have been a nice death metal evening was now twice half a band of which I could hardly do anything with the first as the second deserved better from me. I even thought of skipping the Headbangers Ball Tour, but that is of later worry. Braincasket, we will meet again. In more metal surroundings, as far as I’m concerned. Metal.

more on http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... en-nov25th if you check in as guest or member

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:38 am 

Headbangers Ball Tour 2017, Max & Iggor Return to Roots, Overkill, Deserted Fear, Tivoli Vredenburg Utrecht, Nov. 26th

Of this gig I wasn’t sure about going for quite some time. Back in the nineties I wasn’t impressed by the usual Headbanger’s Ball show on MTV, I hated Vanessa Warwick to bits, it lacked extreme music and the music they did have, was repeated time after time. The Dutch show would be on a Tuesday in Utrecht (work vs. VW Golf Mk II diesel-unfriendly city), I wasn’t impressed by Max & Iggor at Eistnaflug and the fact this tour would be seen on Ruhrpott Metal Meeting made me hesitate. But skip an Overkill show so near home? Had I not vowed to try to see every Dutch Deserted Fear gig ever? The Overkill show on Into the Grave last August tipped the balance here. Via mail (and not spam ;) ) I got a huge improvement of circumstances: the gig was moved from Tuesday to Sunday, due to a double booking! So I bought a ticket. Daniel wore his newly bought Max & Iggor shirt on my birthday with pride, so I guessed he’d join, along with Jossel maybe. He’s a huge Insomnium fan, to be honest I don’t have much clues to this Finnish band. I chose to travel early, get there by train and have a bite in Vredenburg (excellent soup and even better bread). Coming to Hoorn I parked my bike in the guarded shed, that venue hasn’t changed in a LOT of years ;) and hit the stoptrain to Sloterdijk. Between Sloterdijk and Utrecht CS I gave a boy the scare of his life, as I had not discovered the new outlook of the newest model Intercity; I had to change shirt as I was pretty sweaty :o In Utrecht I walked three directions, again between huge piles of bikes and children in Sinterklaas mode to Vredenburg (silly hobby :-/ ) and got to the bar. Hey, they have HJ on tap, good! I even wore my sunglasses inside, the weather was so lovely!

As before, there were more performances in the venue, the row in front of Ronda was easily the most colourful: black, black and black haha. It did not take long for Deserted Fear to start. I found Alex and Dave of Mutator and advised them to look at the faces: yeah, the Grin was omnipresent *cool* and I was surprised the band had gotten quite more than the normal support act treatment: they brought the biggest backdrop I’d ever seen, screens in front of the stacks with the CD covers on it, great sound, good mix and pretty loud! I got Mahne’s set list, thank you! (it’s not in gold writing, but swoah :lol: )
- The Fall of Leaden Skies
- Battalion of Insanities
- Kingdom of Worms
- Wrath on Your Wound (bro time with Fabian ;) )
- The Carnage
- Field of Death (with bone crushing siren as intro, what a great track! Pity Fabian had quite some technical difficulties)
- Face our Destiny
- Bury Your Dead (yeah, the long version :) )

I did not know a guitar pick could fly in such a straight line, as I caught Fabian’s pick with ease ;) I was between Insomnium fans and my friends, I had a great time! Daniel was on time too, along with Jossel of course. I bought two Deserted Fear patches and hey, Overkill has new ones too, so I got one for the Neckwreckers denim as well. Of Insomnium I still don’t know much, as the goth-like music made a too big difference to the old school death metal I just had. I didn’t stay long, but met friends wherever I went. Upstairs, downstairs, near the bar (hey, Ineke and Welsh Tom are here too! Koen and Patries, that’s a while ago ;) I knew Daniel had to leave early) and Johnny urged me to get back inside as Overkill was on stage already! From a distance I could see there were no Skullcrushers or other Neckwreckers present, but I had fun. Johnny even offered to hit the pit FOR ME, as he knew I still feel the concussion roll. He dove in during Ironbound :) . This is what I wrote:
- Mean Green Killing machine
- Rotten to the Core
- Electric Rattlesnake (“Mijn Nederlands is nie zo goe, maar mijn Brabants beter” ;) )
- In Union We Stand
- Hello From the Gutter ("Hebben jullie je schoentje gezet?" :) funny man Blitz :) )
- Elimination
- Ironbound
- Fuck You

Overkill was in blazing form, I even spotted a grin on Tailer’s face, that’s quite uncommon for him ;) and Linsk stood there happy as a school kid in a toy store. DD is serious as always and Bobby winds the audience around his skinny fingers :) The band got the same treatment as Deserted Fear, only thing that was bigger was the merch stand. I haven’t even seen the Insomnium one ;) But I knew I had limited time, so I decided to skip Max & Iggor just after hearing the song Roots Bloody Roots. Fun part: it was played first. Bad part: Utrecht is now officially hell to get out. I could not find the entrance to Hoog Catherijne so my train departure was getting dangerous to make. I walked in five fucking directions before someone stopped me swearing and cursing the city >< Coming to the train platform I already saw the yellow lights! Between Sloterdijk and Hoorn I had bad luck as well, some 25 party poopers playing frucking dance music! LOUD! I hate dance music!! Especially LOUD dance music! I need METAL! But the bike ride home was lovely again, so my temper didn’t kill the aftermath. My premonition was right, I came to see Deserted Fear and Overkill and was not let down! Metal!

Read what happened to the others at http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... l-deserted (guest or member)

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:29 am 

The Pit Thrash Metal Night, feat. Mutator, Enjoy the Torture, Koel310 Alkmaar, Dec.1st

Being invited to a gig personally by the band has always been cool to me. It dates back to my highschool years, where Total Loss, Merciless Noise and whatnot played their very first gigs. Nervous, trembling, bad sound check included, but these memories are cherished. Not every gig is as much a secret as the Asphyx 30 Year Anniversary show haha, but you get the point. Alex of Mutator had been mailing about the Pop Mania review and he showed me a couple of dates to come. One is during Ruhrpott, one is during NDF, so that had to be set aside. One is announced with Sinister in Victorie Alkmaar, tickets bought for January 27th 2018 via www.podiumvictorie.nl . I still mail with Wanda so she would be picked up by Stip, I might need to bring Ed home, just like in Heerhugowaard.

After a nice day at work I got out early, as I desperately needed diesel and as Hoorn Risdam is on boulders, I drove much earlier than needed. I got called by Wanda, Stip was never to be heard or found so I decided to turn and pick her up. Speeding up as Ed has to be in the venue on time... Coming to this part of Alkmaar was new to me, but at least there was plenty of parking space. We had to search the entrance through guitar build shops, a lighting company and a stage prop facility before we found the door. Just follow the music, is what we’re told? Huh, it’s a relatively new cultural complex, so properly insulated, how to follow the music? They’d better put up some signs, I thought, but we found it.

Enjoy the Torture was already building up, Ed had said Enjoy the Torture would do the sound check and the other bands would just reposition the drums and play. As you might know, Enjoy the Torture drummer David plays left handed, like he does in Contradictions (with my friends Jeroen, Sven and Coen). When Enjoy the Torture got to play I thought ‘how long has it been?’ and I honestly couldn’t remember it. But no worries, Raimon soon stated it had been 18 months (!) since they last played and now they’re a bass player short! We talked before the set a while, but I was a fool for bringing up memories to his other band Onkt… He knows I rather have Enjoy the Torture or even Senescence, but no hard feelings. Raimon sure sounds evolved, even though he later said he had been doing NOTHING about his vocals all these months. Enjoy the Torture played their self titled anthem first, the band is tight, second guitar present or not. Raimon sounded deeper than before, but also harsher in the high regions than I had remembered. Second song was Bring the War, third Your Pain My Win and at least three more songs I had not written down. Their groove death prog just sounds great, I hope they will finally record something soon. I was greeted by Alex and Dave, met Nick along the way as well, showing off my self built Mutator patch :lol: , pictures included ;) . After the last song I thanked Raimon for his progression, even though he thought he didn’t sound as good … uhm right. David later asked if I knew PartySan, we might hook up! Hey, Daan of Puur Obscuur is there too. I heard a rumor he was off to walk home afterwards, so when he returned to the stage, I urged him I could bring him home as well.

Mutator soon got the stage. Ed told me in the car he’d been trying to save his aggression and his voice for the gig, but I later heard why I thought he did not sound as convincing as last time: the monitors could not be put any louder, so he did not hear himself. Add a drum kit that was not amplified, so even though the band did all they could, it sounded half to me. Wanda agreed, but like me, she could not stand still that long and started banging furiously during Sick Society, after the intro the second song in the set \m/ I got Dave’s set list, he grabbed Ed’s, Alex wanted Nick’s and so on :)
- Intro
- Curse the Gods (technical problems for Nick, he hits soooo hard! ;) Ed shouting ‘And now start banging those heads godverdomme!’ ;) )
- Manipulation (announced as ‘sorta autobiographical’)
- Revenge (‘perfect song for A PIT’, only one female Hallowed Fire fan showed up ;) )
- Hit (new song, sounds great!)
- Omstemmen (Lazy Alex Joke)
- Crystal Mountain

Like said, even though the sound could have been fuller, this is a band that tries to find its limit AND GET PASS THAT! Alex had a ‘homely announcement’, I shouted ‘have you bought a dish washer?’, laughs, Alex nearly forgot the announcement: ‘watch out Alkmaar, we return to Alkmaar with a special guest next January’, someone shouted ‘Slayerrrr!’, I called ‘SINISTER!!!’ No more chants for Slayer hahaha. But the night wasn’t over yet. Hallowed Fire from Heerhugowaard plays Thrash with Capitol A (of American). The band stated ‘Intros are overrated’ and bashes in tightly. The band is clearly influenced by Warbringer (groove) and Anthrax (speed, jokes) and Death Angel (variety in riffing). The only info I got is https://nl-nl.facebook.com/HallowedFireOfficial/ and they do have some fun in themselves: the third song is announced ‘it’s so good it doesn’t need a title yet, just you bloggers call it ‘New Song in Piano Three’ we’ll find it on obscure YT thingies ourselves’ :) Another fun fact: the stage is only 15 cm high, but the singer doesn’t get on it at all. He starts the mosh pit himself, only to be followed by coin pickers and hand waving the German way ;) No Tankard needed haha. I think I saw some five songs before following Dave backstage and try to pick up Ed. I was getting tired and wanted to leave, talk Daan out of walking home (+35 km!! In this cold? Are you nuts?). With minutes backstage/kitchen/store room we were asked by a man I knew was a paying visitor too (?) if we could head back to the bar, free beer or not? OK, for a band playing it’s more fun with more onlookers, but being told by someone NOT of the venue/organization, was weird and new to me. Daan didn’t need the ride after all, we got home through thick fog, telling thrilling tales of metal all over the world. I didn’t even need my hobby on the way home ;) and was thanked by Wanda by a big pile of CDs she did no longer like, hand over to Alex please ;) Typing this I heard some Cruachan tunes, answering a mail to Apostate Viaticum’s George and thinking of Irish Tour (the Lutjebroek Ireland tribute to Rory Gallagher and U2) of which I have a ticket now. No need for afpilzen, I was dead tired. But I had thrash, Thrash, CURSE THE SOCIETY THRASH!

Friends, guests and members head out to http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... oy-torture

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 am 

Ruhrpott Metal Meeting 2017, Dec. 8th-9th, Turbinenhallen Oberhausen. Headliners: Testament, Max & Iggor Return to Roots, Onkel Tom

This indoor metal meeting is getting a pinpoint in my agenda. The first edition held Asphyx, Deserted Fear and Sodom on one day, the second edition brought back part of my love for Saxon. The third edition was, well, not really a matter of deciding, it was mostly ‘who?’, ‘which weekend?’ and ‘which tours combined?’. Peter was all over it last year, he’d join me no problem. The answers so far: Peter and herrieman; December 8-9 (so, not on the same weekend of Eindhoven Metal Meeting ;) ; Max&Iggor do Roots+Overkill+Deserted Fear, Brotherhood of the Snake Tour Testament+Death Angel+Annihilator and Doro. The Flöz stage line up is built in the weeks before the festival, last year they had pretty cool German bands on it. This year Onkel Tom Angelripper would headline The Flöz. Daniel bought himself a ticket and wanted to join us to NH Oberhausen, but even though I tried three times to change my reservation, I got zilch reaction? OK, Daniel books his own, sorry’bout that. Turned out NH hotels only put in a third bed if children are involved, OK, now I know. Perfectly understandable.

Friday was an easy trip to Oberhausen, the snow hardly held us up. At Hünxe I couldn’t get an Umweltzone sticker as the man behind the counter didn’t want to hear what car I drove? Help could be an important service, you know >< I didn’t even get my ‘normal’ German beers there as I still haven’t finished my old ones… First beer this weekend was in the hotel, the Radeberger beer of tap was doable. We headed out to the Turbinenhalle, as Daniel wanted to see Savage Messiah again. Without much lines it was a swift walk to the stage, as the band started within minutes and did a nice job. The band mixes NWOBHM with some light thrash; influenced by Thin Lizzy, UFO and Diamond Head. I wasn’t overtly impressed, as the sound was bad... I also did not recognize one single song, clearly the band played stuff of their second album; which I don’t have. We soon met Stefan Hüskens, it seems he’s got a certain job in the venue this weekend. Cool to meet you again!

Ruhrpott Metal Meeting holds one stage on the Friday, two on the Saturday so all we could do is wait for the second band to show up. It was Finnish Wolfheart, of which we’d never heard. I heard some cross between black metal, folk, goth and death metal I couldn’t place at all. I decided to get myself a festival shirt and a locker, so I kept walking up and down the building. We wanted to be on top row for Deserted Fear, nearly got there too ;) and the band chose You Give Love a Bad Name as teaser? Tha fffk? Or was it You Give Love the Bad Taste? :) The band did somewhat of the same set as in Utrecht two weeks ago And. They. Went. Ablaze! The band had a great sound, good mix and during Field of Death I felt myself get outer worldly with joy! I decided Fabian could use another white shirt so I threw my God Dethroned – The World Ablaze onto the stage at the end of the set (halfway Bury Your Dead). To see these men have a great time is sooo cool! Fabian picked the shirt up, smiled, put it on... it’s way, way too big for him HA HA HA. But the smile said it all. I now walked in ‘just’ my Neckwreckers denim, if it snows outside I did not care. I was warmed by Deserted Fear once more. Killer show! Also, I got Peter a Deserted Fear shirt, I just couldn’t not do it ;) The band did a signing session later on and I got the men ‘upgrading’ a picture of Doro in the festival leaflet. How to upgrade Doro you might think? Let Deserted Fear spill their load on her *evil*

Fourth band this weekend was Insomnium. I knew Daniel would love to see the band again, but I kept to my original thought: I don’t get it. It seems I’m totally not in the mood for melodic death, especially after just having seen one of my favorite German bands… Overkill I do dig, but as Daniel is no fan and Peter left it in the middle, we didn’t get near the stage. D.D. and Co. do a decent set, Blitz also speaks a little German ;) and the fifty minute set was gone in a whiff. The sound and mix were OK, no problem with lighting or volume. Of Max & Iggor Return to Roots I can be short, the sound was below par but the audience went nuts. I didn’t even make pictures and got to the Metal Market, found both Jurgen’s as Richard’s merch stand and found a big Pestilence patch for Bryan and a cool God Dethroned one for myself. I need to make some room somewhere to put my growing pile of patches on, maybe even start a twelfth denim…We got outside, found no taxi and decided to walk back to the hotel. In the room I had one final Radeberger and got to the pillow and quilt.

We got up, got showered, got a decent bun but horrible coffee at the Sub we frequent when we’re in Oberhausen and tried to get to the Weinachtsmarkt. Uhm, make that Weinacht Stau, as we saw nothing but traffic jams near the site/parking lots/city. Peter’s wife even reacted ‘Wat moet jij nou op een Kerstmarkt?’ which sounded hilarious at the time but got worse when we drove home… more on that later. I returned the car to the parking lot (paid parking from 10 AM to 2 PM (?) and we found the same nice little bistro to start up the Bitburgers. We all ate (not Butter Schinken Und Erdnuss Käse :) ) and got a taxi back to Turbinenhalle. Death Angel would start up the second day for us. On Flöz stage there were two bands before we entered, but we had not checked those so we don’t know/care if we missed anything. Finding Flöz was a bigger challenge than getting a decent spot for Death Angel. The band had to start so early half the venue wasn’t even filled yet. The band was totally on fire, Mark Osegueda joking about getting up early time after time and sort of ridiculing the organization of RMM this way. I thought he had a point, those who came later sure as hell missed a great set by an eager band, sound was OK (apart from the first two songs, then it suddenly got good) and the first pit of the day was pretty big. This is what I wrote:
- Father of Lies
- The Dream Calls for Blood
- Claws in so Deep
- The Ultra-Violence (long intro, the roof nearly got down of all the goose bumps \m/ )
- Thrown to the Wolves (amazing how fit Osegueda and Cavestany still are, no matter if Mark drinks Bombay Sapphire or not ;) Osegueda HITS EVERY NOTE as if it’s the first time he sings those lyrics! Kudos!)
- Mistress of Pain
- Seemingly Endless Time
- The Moth

This band surely deserved a much higher spot on the bill, especially as GloryHammer and Orden Ogan are next!! For now I want to see Erazor first, hoping there won’t be an unexpected and unwanted fight like last time! No agitation of some sort, but a nicely blunt thrashing death metal band. The band has more than one trick up its sleeve, as I clearly hear some Desaster-meets-Maiden parts as well. Add a nice volume and it’s a good gig. Of GloryHammer I can only say I wanted to throw my ear plugs onto stage in protest, as the fluffy-and-too-happy-non-pirate-metal is too much to endure for even a whiff. Daniel did enjoy it, as he’s not ‘unfriendly bound to Alestorm’ like I am. Later I’d see a second or three of Orden Ogan, as I just want to stay near Flöz as much as I can for now. The next band I see there is Phantom Corporation, which turns out to be a greasy, blunt combination of death, grind and crust. I was already too late to pick up (at least) one Erazor patch, but I liked Phantom Corporation a lot. Daniel got a CD, I head out to Riffs Merchandising for a big Mutilator patch and a beautiful Don’t Break the Oath back patch, denim no. 13 it will bear ;) I thought I saw ex-Morgoth singer Marc Grewe walk by that stand and thought of Morgoth when I got the next band: Despair. Indeed, watching the leaflet told me it is Grewe indeed, accompanied by Waldemar Sorychta (always have to check spelling :o ) and a full band doing fast death metal. I later thought ‘Celtic Frost on overdrive’ or was it a CF cover? I didn’t know, needed food too, got another round of excellent noodles and chicken and their great sambal sauce. I can fully enjoy good sambal haha.

In the main hall Annihilator was ready to start. I must say I never really was much of an Annihilator fan, but this is worthless. The fact that Waters picked up singing himself did not improve the overall impression of the band, it doesn’t help he’s arrogant like a Spaniard government attaché in Cataluña too. The band seems to be OK though, but the impression of ‘Waters + some nearly anonymous band members surrounding him’ lasts. I made one picture from a great distance and off to Flöz for my main reason to head out there: Onkel Tom! I think, as Sodom fan and beer drinker, every non-German metal fan should check this out, as it’s plain fun to watch Angelripper drink with his fans, in a T shirt is my favorite too (Highway to Hell), big drinking horn at his side, doing German schlagers and drinking songs thrashy style. I even got a place on front row when I told the Germans near stage about the Westwoudse AC/DC Fans shirt I wore and what I did on Into the Grave last August. Zusammen metal, zusammen trinken, zusammen SpaB! I always thought non-Germans would never understand the potential of this band, but they’re great musicians and clearly have fun together. I still don’t know if Angelripper spotted my Königsblaue shirt, but I don’t mind. I made a picture of the lyrics to the newest Onkel Tom song and a picture of the set list: (needing MA for more detail ;) )
- Trink Brüderlein Trink
- Im Tiefer Keller
- Der Onkel Kommt zum Hausbesuch
- Ruhrpott
- Auf Immer und Ewig
- Medley/Caramba Caracho Ein Whisky
- Bon Scott hab Ich noch Live Gesehen
- Immer wenn Ich Traurig Bin
- Delerium
- Schnapps, Das War das Letztes Word
- Drink doch ene met
- Hofbräuhaus
- Es gibt Kein Bier auf Hawaii
- Alkohol (reminding me of The Shavers’song about the different ways of drinking different fluids ;) )

Party!! Feest! Feier dich! I loved it! I went out for a Hart – Ehrlich - Laut – Durstig shirt, but as they didn’t have it in XL anymore I stuck to that. I won’t buy a drinking shirt I can’t grow into :) Remember the Lords of Depravity DVD set? Great! Clearly one of the highlights of this festival to me! Even Doro couldn’t Für Immer my smile off my face haha. Doro.. just no. I will never be a fan or even put on some of her music. It’s simply too thick for me, even though she has quite a big and loyal fan base, not me. Maybe I just get my hairs the wrong way by her English accent, or the eternal link to Judas Priest without as much as a personal touch. Testament is the band we’re waiting for anyway, even Sodom’s Bernemann showed up for them tonight. He still is no FC Schalke fan HA HA HA but at least he remembered ;) Hey, nearly the entire Carnation entourage is here too! Testament had a raging house in front of them, played a well chosen set, but I stay in the foyer, thinking about the coolness of Ruhrpott, meeting Nina again, getting my last beers of the festival, being invited to a different hotel for an after party by Nina, ignoring the Orden Ogan signing session as well.

We emptied the lockers and Peter jumped in front of a slow driving taxi, to pick us up. Hey, that’s the fastest taxi we never called for (Friday’s never showed up ><). We ended up in the bar of the hotel, doing some naughty jokes on a couple that clearly was in for a long night and then some ;) Nöken in de Köken is a phrase we heard a lot in the car ;)

On the way home it had started snowing again, but up until we reached Tecle’s house we hardly had any problems with that. The problem was, it started snowing heavier and heavier and Peter just had a couple of too sarcastic comments on not returning earlier than we could do now. I just had to see Tecle and Akberet again as she’d been treated for a nasty disease this year. We were pampered beyond belief and this time we did have all the time in the world. When Peter got all emotional we soon cut the visit, as the snow kept lying on the road already… it could be a long ride home and I was happy to head out via Zwolle instead of Amsterdam… 51 km traffic jam between Amsterdam and Hengelo!! We didn’t reach top speed most of the trip home, but I delivered the men safely on their doorsteps and started this review just after seeing a couple of voetbal matches postponed. Ruhrpott, see ya next year! Metal! Trink! Kurgel auf und schrei! Arme hoch und mehr metal!

see (as guest or member) what others think on http://metal-tavern.proboards.com/threa ... rted-onkel

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12