Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:04 pm 

I really really want to go. I just don’t know any German. How is the Wacken festival and are there decent English speakers?

bocohrt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:30 pm 

I went from 2007-2010. It was cool then but I don't think it's worth it now. As far as English speakers go, almost everyone you meet will be able to speak English.

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:05 pm 

bocohrt wrote:
I went from 2007-2010. It was cool then but I don't think it's worth it now. As far as English speakers go, almost everyone you meet will be able to speak English.

Why isn’t it worth it anymore?

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:13 am 

I went in 2008, 2011, and 2015. Almost everyone speaks English at the festival.

My friend went last year(2022) and pretty much said that it would be his last time going unless a certain selection of bands are playing.
He pretty much said that it was kinda chaotic during the whole festival and it was raining non-stop and certain festival grounds were blocked off due to flooding.

I want to go at least once more in the next couple years. I've been eyeing other fests to possibly go to.

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:01 am 

herra_af_lik wrote:
I went in 2008, 2011, and 2015. Almost everyone speaks English at the festival.

My friend went last year(2022) and pretty much said that it would be his last time going unless a certain selection of bands are playing.
He pretty much said that it was kinda chaotic during the whole festival and it was raining non-stop and certain festival grounds were blocked off due to flooding.

I want to go at least once more in the next couple years. I've been eyeing other fests to possibly go to.

As far as food and drinks go, are they expensive? And do they take American currency or should I convert some money to German currency? (Not sure what German currency is called)

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:48 pm 

Also, when do tickets for 2025 start? I hear they sell out quick.

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:01 pm 

IllBeBach0213 wrote:

The festival is cashless now. I haven't been during the cashless era. I know you have to load so much money. I have no idea how the money conversions happen. Germany is part of the European union so they are on the Euro.

From what I remember the food and drink prices are fairly decent. I can double check with my buddy to confirm.

Tickets for 2025 will go on sale once the 2024 fest has finished. Like the first day after the final day. It really depends on what bands are playing with how fast it sells out. I got lucky and won the ticket lottery for the 2015 year as it was sold out.

Also check this info out for first timers:
https://www.wacken.com/en/all-information/wacken-for-first-timers/

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:39 pm 

herra_af_lik wrote:
IllBeBach0213 wrote:

The festival is cashless now. I haven't been during the cashless era. I know you have to load so much money. I have no idea how the money conversions happen. Germany is part of the European union so they are on the Euro.

From what I remember the food and drink prices are fairly decent. I can double check with my buddy to confirm.

Tickets for 2025 will go on sale once the 2024 fest has finished. Like the first day after the final day. It really depends on what bands are playing with how fast it sells out. I got lucky and won the ticket lottery for the 2015 year as it was sold out.

Also check this info out for first timers:
https://www.wacken.com/en/all-information/wacken-for-first-timers/

What exactly do you mean by cashless? Is all the food paid for by tickets? Or is it all done through credit/debit cards? Sorry for sounding dumb lol

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:52 pm 

IllBeBach0213 wrote:
What exactly do you mean by cashless? Is all the food paid for by tickets? Or is it all done through credit/debit cards? Sorry for sounding dumb lol

They give you a FOB wristband that stays on your wrist for the entire festival. You have to upload funds into your account before you go to the festival. Then tap your FOB to buy stuff. You always have to check to make sure to top up your account so you always have available funds. Don't want anything to decline.

As I haven't been the fest in recent years. This was the breakdown that was given out during the switch.

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:36 pm 

herra_af_lik wrote:
IllBeBach0213 wrote:

They give you a FOB wristband that stays on your wrist for the entire festival. You have to upload funds into your account before you go to the festival. Then tap your FOB to buy stuff. You always have to check to make sure to top up your account so you always have available funds. Don't want anything to decline.

As I haven't been the fest in recent years. This was the breakdown that was given out during the switch.

Do you have the option to put money on the wrist bands right when you buy the tickets or do you need to do it separately?

Sorry, just trying to figure this out

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:26 pm 

IllBeBach0213 wrote:
herra_af_lik wrote:
IllBeBach0213 wrote:

Do you have the option to put money on the wrist bands right when you buy the tickets or do you need to do it separately?

Sorry, just trying to figure this out

I think you do it separately. I will double check with my friend about that. As they have to create an account linked to your ticket/wristband.

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:50 pm 

If you can get back to me on that then that would be great!

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:59 pm 

IllBeBach0213 wrote:

They have machines all over the place where you load via credit card. He says it's fairly easy.

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:37 pm 

herra_af_lik wrote:
IllBeBach0213 wrote:

They have machines all over the place where you load via credit card. He says it's fairly easy.

Excellent! Thanks for the help!

Goatizer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:50 pm 

I was there the first year it sold out, and I showed up without a ticket, the problem is where it’s always sold out is you get less people showing up on a whim, more keener less party, when I was there it was awesome but that was a time when forty year old germans would also show up to hear the scorpions right, so the whole fact that locals can’t casually show up because it’s sold out might actually make it slightly less cool. What percentage of metal heads buy tickets, metal heads are almost notorious for buying tickets at the last minute. So in my opinion Wacken was the best, but where it sells out every year it’s just not the same party, there are bands the festival would book if it wasn’t a sold out thing that they’re not booking, yes it has a lot of big names but because it’s already sold out I don’t see them being forced to appeal, not that it’s not appealing, my experience was worth it though

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:57 am 

I've been there maybe 5 or 6 times since 2010, the latest being 2017 (I think).
Wacken is responsible for both some of my best and some of my worst festival experiences, and it is entirely dependent on the weather situation.

The good:
+ Many food options, rarely long lines (food and beer is decently priced too).
+ Good variety in bands (both lots of big names and some good smaller names too).
+ Generally great sound.
+ People are generally nice.

The bad:
- It's huge, you will be doing LOTS of walking. It will often be unfeasible for you to return to your camp unless you have several hours to spare before the next band you wanna see.
- Wacken is OFTEN subject to terrible weather. When it's bad, it's a literal waking nightmare that you physically cannot escape. When it's good, it's awesome though. But you obviously can't know in advance, especially coming from so far away.
- Huge crowds, obviously.
- Not a lot of options to sit down, especially if the weather's bad.
- Germans will be blasting schlager music and obnoxious dance music all night in the camping area. And Germans rise and shine early.

IllBeBach0213 wrote:

They do, generally within a day or so. But Wacken has its own ticket hub where people can basically put their ticket up for sale in a very safe and regulated way. They are also not allowed to charge more than the ticket was originally sold for. I've bought tickets that way multiple times.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:01 am 

I heard that the experience there is not very good. There is a big change it will rain (because of Germany's cold climate) and you will be in the mud all of the time because the concert takes on a field and there is no cemented floor. You have to find an airbnb or hotel very earlier because you won't find later and you will have to camp there with your own tent and equipment. I mean, if you have been to the army or had a similar experience you won't mind the filth very much but why would you want to do this and eat all the exhaustion in the face? I also heard that there are quite a few metalheads that piss and shit themselves in the rain due to how drunk they were. The only pro to going there, is if you are a tourist, to see a lot of cool places in Germany and to see a band that plays shows rarely or is one of your favourite ones that has a special place in your heart.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:01 pm 

I went in 2013 and while it did rain on Friday pretty heavy, enough for me to just stand there next to my tent and shower, it didn't last all day and overall it was an amazing experience. I'd go again if I can.

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:34 pm 

When I went in 2008 and 2011 it did not rain at all. But 2015 was insane as it was raining like 4 days nonstop before the festival started. The mud ripped the soles of my army boots off.

Reply to topic