Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:09 am 

I got sick of having to constantly jump around my Google Docs, calendar and Facebook to try to figure out what fests are happening when in the US/Canada, so I made a website: https://www.metalfests.us

Pretty bare bones so far, but the info is mostly complete. Not going to go through the effort of listing which bands are performing, that's just too much constantly changing info to keep track of; the images link to the event pages. I'd love any feedback or suggestions!

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:20 am 

Sweet! Thanks for the resource.

xxld1k
The Sweetest Summer Child EVER!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:22 am 

Nice man. Looks like you found them all.

https://www.last.fm/user/xxld1k

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:54 am 

Thanks so much! I should say I was inspired by this page that does a great job of cataloging the European festivals: https://www.risinghorns.com/

Just added three more I've never heard of (Mad With Power, Crucial Fest, Desert Fest NYC). Crazy how many of these fly under the radar.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:30 pm 

Off the top of my head you've missed both Covenants (the Montreal one is in the spring, not sure about the west coast version) Chicago domination fest, messe des morts, invoking black death fest and some other nerd shit black metal fest in Chicago, sorry I cant remember the name right now.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:09 pm 

Ah rad thanks, will add those (Messe des Morts is already in the TBA section at the bottom of the page; anything without a confirmed 2019 date lives there). Hmm maybe you're thinking of Cathedral of the Black Goat Fest? Looks like the last one was in 2017 but I'll keep an eye out.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:52 am 

Ohh my bad, I missed the upcoming section. Yuuup Cathedral of the Black Goat, didnt realize it hadn't happened in 2018, not my thing I just know it exists or used to for that matter. Good site either way, pretty helpful. I'll try and let you know if there's anything else I remember, especially in Chicago.

Scorched Tundra is also another fest we have here, usually more geared towards sludge and atmospheric stuff.

Azmodes wrote:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:16 am 

Ugh, you rule! That's three in Chicago and three in Vancouver that I've learned about in the past 24 hours. I would have assumed there were like 25 fests max when I first started this project, and I'm currently sitting at 56.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:21 pm 

Badass site, thanks for doing it. There's one coming up on the 12th of this month called Texas Devastation Fest in Austin.

https://www.comeandtakeitproductions.co ... 19-austin/

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:55 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Ugh, you rule! That's three in Chicago and three in Vancouver that I've learned about in the past 24 hours. I would have assumed there were like 25 fests max when I first started this project, and I'm currently sitting at 56.

:lol: :lol: :lol: thaaaaaanks. Yeah there's a fuck ton once you dig below the surface, in my mind I know of a shit on others that I simply can't remember right now. I did happen to think of two more and I don't remember if you have them or not. There's Earslaughter, a grind fest in Montreal usually around June, and Prog and Power. We also had a new two day "fest" here this year but I can't remember the name of it. It was like a month ago at Beat Kitchen, I'll try to figure it out.

Fuck man, this really makes me want to hit up a fest again. Been since October since I really went to anything.

Azmodes wrote:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:41 am 

Oh right, Forever Deaf! And never heard of Earslaughter, so thanks for those. Up to 61 now; stumbled across Swordmetal, Descendants of Crom, and Brewtal Beer as well last night.

The folks who had abandoned the US Metal Festivals Facebook page just made me an admin, so I'll be using that for things like band announcements and news: https://www.facebook.com/MetalFestivals

Brutalizer, probably not going to list strictly local fests like that one. For now I'm going to limit it to events that attract national acts, otherwise I'll be even more overwhelmed than I am already.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:43 am 

Yeah that's understandable, I wasn't quite sure about the scope of what you're trying to accomplish - you'd likely have to have a whole team working with you if you wanted to catch all the smaller fests. I just figured I'd mention it because a buddy of mine started putting it on every year around this time a year or two ago. Whore of Bethlehem is the headliner on that fest, and they are local, but they open for pretty much all the extreme metal bands that come to Austin.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:41 pm 

I'll reach out to the homies and see what they know. They will know more than me for sure.

There's also something in Ohio I can't remember the name of... my buddies went a couple years back. GBK played lol.

Azmodes wrote:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:41 pm 

I mean I'm not opposed to highlighting smaller stuff like that, but the chances that a local would only find out it on my page (or that a non-local would want to travel to it) are less than zero so it would be a bit pointless.

Oh right, Hell's Headbangers used to do a semi-regular fest. I have a separate list going of "fests that used to happen" that I'll keep an eye on, but usually a two year gap for things of this size is a death knell.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:10 pm 

The dude who runs Chicago domination fest has found your website and posted about it. Getting some good exposure.

Azmodes wrote:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:31 am 

Thanks! I'm assuming you're the dude who commented on that post? Just added you. Crazy how cheap/easy it is to advertise on facebook. So far a $4 ad has resulted in over 100 new likes to the page, but glad to see it's getting some organic traction as well.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:50 pm 

Yaaa, that was me. Sorry, been busy and I don't normally accept requests from people I don't know. Anyway I just hit accept lol.

Azmodes wrote:

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:53 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Off the top of my head you've missed both Covenants (the Montreal one is in the spring, not sure about the west coast version) Chicago domination fest, messe des morts, invoking black death fest and some other nerd shit black metal fest in Chicago, sorry I cant remember the name right now.

Unless you know something that I don’t know, invoking Black Death fest isn’t happening this year. With all the cancellations and other things in between, they put an end to it.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:59 pm 

Yeah I didnt realize this at the time of my post, I was rattling off all the things I know that happen here. I guess the promoter is a douche and ripped a bunch of people off. Least that's what I was told, so yeah, probably not gonna happen again.

Azmodes wrote:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:45 pm 

just removed it, thanks for the heads up! unless there's been official confirmation of a cancellation, for the most part i'm listing any annual fest that happened in 2018 as TBA with the assumption that it's happening again. should have taken all the dead facebook links as a sign.

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:51 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Yeah I didnt realize this at the time of my post, I was rattling off all the things I know that happen here. I guess the promoter is a douche and ripped a bunch of people off. Least that's what I was told, so yeah, probably not gonna happen again.

That’s why I stated “other things” because I heard through rumor mills he was fucking people over and still haven’t refunded people who brought prefest tickets got fucked over. It never happened to me personally, so I didn’t want to be part of that drama shit.

Also? The fest gbk played was hells head bash in Cleveland. Again, rumor mill has it that the fest will come back around 2020, but don’t bet your 401k.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:50 pm 

Texas Independence Fest has just been announced for April.

https://www.theprp.com/2019/01/23/news/ ... ence-fest/

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:44 am 

thanks! but because i'm both lazy and elitist, i'm only going to add deathcore/metalcore fests if i sense a demand for it, so for now i'm going to hold this and Detroit Metal Fest off to the side. also just found out about this one: http://www.monolithonthemesa.com

RattEurope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:01 pm 

Not many big names but the New England Stoner and Doom Festival in Connecticut is scheduled for three days in May.

https://www.newenglandstoneranddoomfest.com/

Reply to topic