Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:38 am 

I recently moved to a different state/region for work. I have been spoiled by previously living in New York (and Southern California before that) so I got to see great bands constantly.

Where I live now, there is relatively no metal scene. No metal record stores, no metal bars, very few metal shows aside from the big, mainstream bands.

Obviously, this is the case for many people... For me, this has given me a desire to step up as a promoter and start bringing bands to my region... I'm looking for tips on this from people who have started doing the same. I am serious about this endeavor and want to hear advice from others who have started from scratch in their cities. Pitfalls, problems you didn't think about, how you got started, etc?

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:46 am 

take lessons from Born For Burning, and Metal Assault
there was no local support until they came along. Spread the word, rally the fans, and offer money to a semi big band for an exclusive show. I'm seeing Evildead this Friday because of BFB. These things take time.

Myrthkhzalm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:02 am 

Some phenomenal bands like Timeghoul got no recognition at all during the time they were active due to them being in the middle of nowhere with no scene, then places like Florida was overflowing with killer bands just at the right time (and a lot of bland ones eventually!).

I'd meet and befriend as many people as you can from bars or any events, find out about any nearby bands and if there's a lot of metalheads in your area. Book some smaller shows to start off, try find a venue you get a good cheap deal with. Then maybe later once you know there's potential book a larger band on an all-dayer sort of event. If you can establish yourself as the main local promoter in the area you could be successful!

Reply to topic