GORGUTS (Canada)
TAAKE (Norway)
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
MGLA (Poland)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
BONGRIPPER
HEMDALE
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)

We thought there would be more to announce today, including a band that will definitely headline one of the days, but that will take another week or two to finalize. Expect the next announcement in about 2 weeks.

Notes: At the Gates, Taake, Solstafir, and MGLA will be making exclusive US appearances at MDF.

We have a feeling many of you will ask what's going on with Carpathian Forest, so here's what's going on. We had preliminary discussion with them right after MDF XI and all parties understand what needs to be done for them to come to the US next year, but since our contact person for the band has been on vacation with no access to e-mail, we have to wait until he's back before confirming that officially. So, as of now, they are NOT confirmed, but chances are likely that they will confirm sometime soon.

Well just a couple months have passed since the most recent MDF and it looks like they're already getting the plans for the next one underway. Who is planning on going this year and what bands are you looking forward to. I've been to the last 2 and both of them were an absolute fantastic time. Definitely planning on going this year too. I caught At The Gates a few years ago and I'm really excited to see them again. Mgla should be awesome as well and I definitely called it that Taake would be on it this time.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:27 pm 

At The Gates, Bongripper, Gorguts and one of the best grindcore bands Excruciating Terror? Count me in already.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:35 pm 

I hope Taake can get over, since Hoest has a criminal record.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:58 pm 

Ehhh, supposedly some members of Electric Wizard and possibly Bolt Thrower have records, too, and they get over without issue.

Anyway, Carpathian Forest are also all but confirmed at this point - the MDF dudes have been talking with them since the end of the last festival about what they need to do in order to secure visas to be able to play MDF 2014. There's also another headliner to be announced in the next two weeks or so.

Super psyched about Mgla and Taake especially! Solstafir will also be cool and ATG could be interesting depending mostly on what they choose to play. Hopefully more death metal gets announced soon, and maybe some doom!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:12 pm 

The first round of bands includes At the Gates and Gorguts? Holy shitballs, I think I'm actually going this year.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:46 pm 

Holy fuck wow I really want to go this year. If i had the money I'd try to buy the pre-sale tickets tonight, as is I'll just try and get a pass when they go on sale later. :(

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:31 pm 

Holy fuck, can't say I'm particularly excited about any of the other bands announced (though I am interested in Taake), but ATG? Count me there. It doesn't really matter to me what they play, I love it all (though I honestly prefer the latter half of their career).

Times like these make me glad that I live in Maryland :)

CockerDaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:44 pm 

Crazy excited for Taake and Bongripper. At The Gates was also a huge band in my early metal years, so I'm really looking forward to them as well. Also looking forward to actually seeing Carpathian Forest this time around :-P
I've heard good things about MGLA so I'll have to check them out soon.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:29 pm 

Looks very good so far. Surprised to see Hemdale there - how about an Exit-13 reunion to go along with that?

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:26 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
How about an Exit-13 reunion to go along with that?

This should happen.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:11 pm 

i have the intention to make my amerika 2014 trip coincide with mdf.
hope to see some of the cool kids there!

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:46 pm 

At the Gates! I swear, 2014 will be the year I finally go to MDF..since I happen to live in Maryland. I can probably only go for one day so I hope Carpathian Forest is one the same day as ATG.. :P

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:44 pm 

Could be. I imagine Carpathian Forest would probably be one of the inside stage closing bands, and ATG will probably be one of the outside stage closing bands, so they could potentially be the same day.

I'll definitely be there Friday/Saturday/Sunday; Thursday will depend on how good that day's lineup is looking and how easy it will be to get off work.

Jds197
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:17 pm 

Rumors have it that the other headliner will be Emperor... if that's true than this is a festival that you can't miss.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:51 pm 

at least i know when to go for dinner then!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:00 pm 

Jds197 wrote:
Rumors have it that the other headliner will be Emperor... if that's true than this is a festival that you can't miss.

Honestly, totally selfish of me, but I really hope this isn't true. Wacken, which has a much higher capacity than MDF, has already gone through tickets at an alarming rate because Emperor's headlining. I'm not exactly rolling in money, so I usually put off buying my MDF ticket until I've set aside enough to be comfortable buying it. However, if Emperor gets announced before standard ticket sales start, I'm going to have to rush to make sure I get them in time.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:26 am 

I honestly don't think Emperor will headline. Just going by what Ihsahn said on Facebook, I don't see them coming over, but I really hope I'm wrong.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:27 pm 

They sold 150 4-day passes today.. I got one of them. Fuck yeeeeeah!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:57 pm 

Faust is drumming for Emperor, and he probably would not be allowed into the country, so that's unlikely.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:01 pm 

Although it would be awesome to see Emperor, I kinda hope it's not true, for similar reasons as iamntbatman.

onorato73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:28 pm 

I have been to every Maryland Deathfest for the last 5 years. I really hope that for this next one that they manage to straighten out some issues. In particular with security because while I was leaving Sunday night this year a riot broke out directly behind me after security face planted some girl.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:10 pm 

They need to get a bigger venue. From what I've heard about the 2013 festival, the venue is just too small for the event now.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:47 pm 

They're changing venues. That's been established since they commented on it soon after this year's festival. They also addressed the security concerns people brought up about this past year's festival and said they're going to do a better job of screening security people.

onorato73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:34 pm 

Subrick wrote:
They need to get a bigger venue. From what I've heard about the 2013 festival, the venue is just too small for the event now.

Your reply is an understatement. I noticed that the venue was way too small in 2010. This past year was a nightmare in a lot of ways. Oh and if they could get Emperor or Dark Angel. Possibly maybe they could get both. I would be very forgiving in that instance.

onorato73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:36 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
They're changing venues. That's been established since they commented on it soon after this year's festival. They also addressed the security concerns people brought up about this past year's festival and said they're going to do a better job of screening security people.

You know what I read that directly from them on facebook. They need more people to help them manage it better. The fact that someone told me that security tried to sell them cocaine is ridiculous.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 am 

Unleashed (Sweden), Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, Unholy Grave (Japan) and Witchrist (NZ) have been added to the lineup.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:51 pm 

This is a pretty weak lineup so far. Unless they start adding some better bands, I'm probably not going next year, especially with how expensive it's sure to be.

Edit: Oh, and fuck all these stoner bands they've been getting. That's one of the most irritating scenes in all of metal.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:24 pm 

The bands announced so far are like....1/5 of the lineup.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:47 am 

Thiestru wrote:
This is a pretty weak lineup so far. Unless they start adding some better bands, I'm probably not going next year, especially with how expensive it's sure to be.

Edit: Oh, and fuck all these stoner bands they've been getting. That's one of the most irritating scenes in all of metal.

At the Gates, Unleashed, Gorguts, Taake; doesn't sound like a weak lineup to me. I really only listen to one of those bands on a regular basis, and I'm still psyched about going. I agree with you about the stoner band part though, for I was never quite into that sub-genre of metal.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:39 pm 

I don't know, from what I've heard about Taake live, I'd rather not see them. On CD they're fine though. Unleashed is mediocre. Gorguts is good, but I've seen them. That leaves At the Gates, and while I'd like to see them, they alone aren't enough to make me drive nine hours and pay for a $200 ticket. So it's going to take some much better additions to convince me. The other factor in this is that I don't know what my financial situation is going to be like by then, so I simply may not be able to afford it.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:49 am 

Unleashed live are anything but mediocre. Caught them on their Hammer Battalion tour and they fucking killed it. Been waiting ever since to see them again and now that time is finally on the horizon. Definitely one of the best DM bands I've ever seen. Great sound, tons of energy, and an overall thrilling experience.

The lineup so far is incredible considering its only 15 bands or so.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:50 pm 

Just announced:

Candlemass (exclusive US show)
Ulver (exclusive US show, their first ever in the US)
Asphyx (exclusive US show)
God Macabre (same deal as Ulver)
Sarke (exclusive US show)
Tankard (exclusive US show)
Machetazo (exclusive US show)
Soilent Green
Extinction of Mankind
Graves at Sea

Everything on that list down to Tankard are pretty fucking rad announcements for me.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:29 pm 

Come on bring Nocturno, bring Fenriz with you, I know you want to.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:39 pm 

Well, that does it. I'm back in. Ulver and fucking CANDLEMASS? Holy shit.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:17 pm 

Definitely down for this one. Ulver completely sold me.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:52 pm 

Assuming I can procure tickets, I'll be going to MDF for the first time. The lineup looks great so far and I can only imagine it'll get better. And who wouldn't be excited to see Nocturno Culto with Sarke?

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:02 pm 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Unleashed live are anything but mediocre. Caught them on their Hammer Battalion tour and they fucking killed it. Been waiting ever since to see them again and now that time is finally on the horizon. Definitely one of the best DM bands I've ever seen. Great sound, tons of energy, and an overall thrilling experience.

The lineup so far is incredible considering its only 15 bands or so.

really?
i saw unleashed at neurotic deathfest and i suddenly noticed how samey their songs are.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:23 pm 

Yeah, I'm definitely most likely going to this. Some of the bands on the line up are need-to-sees for me. I saw Sarke back in 2009 and they were fucking awesome. Seeing Nocturno Culto on guitar and Tom G. Warrior on vox for a Celtic Frost Dethroned Emperor cover is likely the most epic performance I have, and will ever, see.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:36 pm 

What kind of music have Ulver been playing live? Their non-metal material, or would they switch back to their black metal for a festival like MDF?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:04 pm 

Their first-ever performance in the US at an underground metal festival? One would assume that they'd stick to the first three albums.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next