Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:58 pm 

I find myself relatively often in situations where I've found a random piece of information that seems like it could be off, but researching it might seem borderline impossible. That sort of cases don't do too well in the report queue either - no one likes floating bloaters, which such reports about obscure/potential issues would likely become. So, I think a topic like this could be useful, for knowledgeable users to share key information, lend a hand and so on. Now, this obviously depends on the community, so we'll see if this works, but there's no harm in trying. And fixing things eventually is better than never fixing them.

An example in question: a week ago I was looking at Pain's page, and started wondering how come Devo was listed as a past member there. As in a full member, not a mere live member. The modification history showed that the info had been there since launch of v2, and the user who added it hadn't shown any activity in years. I started googling, and could find no evidence supporting this, despite some fairly painful (heh) browsing of poorly-designed Pain webpages from the past, and so on. I concluded, with reasonable certainty, that it must've been an user error. Coincidentally, bit later, I was able to ask about this from Pain's Tägtgren in person, and his answer - although not explicit - supported my conclusion.

Anyway, long story short, the key part is that this information was on the site for almost 7 years, which is kind of too much for my liking.

So, err, I'd like to encourage others to post here about things you may wonder about, things that seem wrong, anything like this that may've gone unnoticed. Then, hopefully someone either already knows about the issue or is able to share their google-fu, and the issue can be fixed.

And eh, the topic shouldn't compete with the report functionality, but rather complement it, so if it's something that can easily be dealt with a report, use reports. And I suppose if a report fails to resolve something, the issue could be taken here. Also, part of the reason I wanted to start the topic is discussion. Generally, I've talked about cases like this with moderators at hand, but I don't think it makes any sense to leave out any contributor who's willing to help. Excuse my derping at language skills tonight, maybe you still get the jist.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:25 pm 

Will you be around to monitor the thread, though, Cursarion? Or are other mods willing to do that? If not, the thread will serve no purpose.

Here's a piece of info that probably needs fixing... again...
Old report of mine: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/585822
New video (the old link is broken): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynAFtQhPSKc (@13:17)

See, Porman had responded, but man_of_shadows814 decided to restore the old data. Is this thread the right place to ask him why?

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 pm 

Well, yeah, I'd imagine someone'll check in to see what's up. But I don't know if I agree, I don't see this as (another) hotline for mod contact. Anyone with sufficient site privileges can fix things, and anyone with metal knowledge regardless of site privileges can point something out or weigh in. In theory, at least.

And I suppose that in this topic things might take a while, especially if they require intensive digging and/or contacting specific people, so there's no harm in loading as much information as possible into the posts.

And eh, seems like man_of_shadows814 did something he shouldn't have done in undoing Porman's modifications. I'll go fix that and message him. Did you try to point this out anywhere else without success, or was it sort of lying around?

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:46 am 

Cursarion wrote:
I don't see this as (another) hotline for mod contact.

Neither do I. I'd still suggest that it be monitored, because some discussions can get ugly unless someone with enough authority to say "stop" puts an end to them. ;)

Cursarion wrote:
Did you try to point this out anywhere else without success, or was it sort of lying around?

Such edits used to give me high blood pressure, but I've learnt to let go sometimes. "Lying around" it was indeed. Thanks for taking care of it.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:57 pm 

I have no clue where to put this complaint other than this particular thread:

"Ozzy performed at the 2009 Blizzcon convention in Anaheim, California, with Gus G. and Tommy Clufetos (Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper) as part of his band for the first time. They were joined onstage by 9-year-old guitarist Yuto Miyazawa for "Crazy Train.""

Why is this in Ozzy's biography section? Neat footnote, but you might as well put in his collaboration with Miss Piggy while you are at it.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Reply to topic