Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:06 am 

Was looking at this band Vesterian, and some of the early releases seemed very fishy to me. Most of them were added with a "placeholder" cover art image of the band's logo, apparently by the band themselves. Then some other suspicious user pops up around 2014 and fills in some of the lineup gaps, along with adding releases like this "live" album. This second user never contributed anything else to the site, leading me to believe it might be a "burner" account the band used to add erroneous info. The 2013 full-length was clearly distributed to reviewers, who don't seem the wiser.

Some of these demo titles are so derivative as to feeling almost fabricated, which I believe at least some of it likely is. I wouldn't be surprised if this band never actually released anything until the mid 2000s, and it doesn't seem uncommon for black metal bands (especially USBM) to basically create discography histories out of nothing in order to dip back into the mid-'90s so they seem more established. This is my gut instinct on the matter, having spent years now witnessing black metal bands trying to pull this sort of shit. Would like to get some more input here from those more familiar with the scene, or those who might actually have tangible proof. If nothing else, this thread spotlights the sleight of hand bands try to pull on MA every day, and why we must be vigilant scrutinizing vague additions.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:07 pm 

I'm no huge expert on this band, but these demos are as fake as anything.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:50 am 

I agree, and it is frustrating not being able to delete them outright, since few things anger me more than bands faking discography details/history. But they fall in a grey area like many other releases.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:02 pm 

The only releases I can vouch for are the full length, "Anthems for the Coming War Age", and the four way split from 2016. I never bothered digging into the rest.

Reply to topic