Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SparkingConduit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:18 pm 

I've fallen out of favor with metal somewhat as I've grown older (only 23; I know, such a heavy loss). I recently started listening to Type O Negative about a year ago because I remembered they had recorded a song for a classic PC game I liked playing a lot as a little kid, Descent II. I fell in love with their gloomy, sarcastic style. I've just now got all their albums and given them all a spin many times and am looking for a similarly-styled band.

The problem is I'm having difficulty finding one that works properly. Most of the recommendations I get from iTunes Genius are death metal or black metal with growling/screamed vocals. Those are pretty much the reason that I got out of metal to begin with. I really like Steele's vampiric style voice, because it still has melody without sinking to the level of ripping your throat out every time you open your mouth. I'm not averse to fast riffs, but I also really appreciate TON's muddy, almost stagnant songs. They chug along at a snail's pace, especially on World Coming Down. Still, the occasional fast headbanger like Angry Inch or We Hate Everyone is appreciated, too. However, I know this may sound weird, I don't want it to be TOO slow, either. I remember listening to some symphonic black metal when I was a teenager that I just couldn't stand. It was just too damn slow for me.

So in other words, the criteria are kind of like TON style, without screamers and following about the same musical pace. If it helps at all, the other kinds of music I like are bands like Porcupine Tree and The Pineapple Thief. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:29 pm 

You might enjoy the band Tiamat. They had a few gothic/psychedelic/proggy albums.

Check out "Wildhoney" and "A Deeper Kind Of Slumber"

SparkingConduit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:04 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
You might enjoy the band Tiamat. They had a few gothic/psychedelic/proggy albums.

Check out "Wildhoney" and "A Deeper Kind Of Slumber"

Yes, that was a great suggestion. Thanks!

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:18 am 

A quick rec, as I'm in a rush: Italy's Abysmal Grief should be what you're after; Gothic Doom done very well.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:14 pm 

The two (maybe 3, actually) latest Woods of Ypres albums (plus the Home 7") should be exactly what you're looking for. Here's 1 song which is very TON-y: http://youtu.be/AQuUm7Opudw

Also, according to MA A Pale Horse Named Death is similar to TON and has their former drummer at the helm. Definitely should be worth looking into (and I may do the same).

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:37 pm 

Cool, I played Descent II as a kid too! Still listen to the soundtrack a ton, have it on my Itunes as well as the Vertigo series remixes. I listen to both Type O Negative and Ohgr (Skinny Puppy) who contributed to the soundtrack, and really checked out both bands because of the soundtrack.

You may want to try Woods of Ypres - Grey Skies and Electic Light. The guy has a deep voice like Peter. My wife actually thought it was Type O Negative before I told her it was a different band.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:54 am 

this band is almost a type o tribute band

Frown

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:27 pm 

Kind of off-topic, but TON also had a song in the game "Blood" (I think it was "Love You To Death"). I believe the video clip was on the CD-ROM, too.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:54 pm 

ToN's World Coming Down is probably my favorite album of all time as of late; it just has this like....unique, incredible atmosphere to it.

I was unable to enjoy Tiamat, but I will try Abysmal Grief and Woods of Ypres.

Maybe you should also try Diabolique's Wedding the Grotesque; very good Swedish gothic doom. Should suit you decently if you love TON.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:13 am 

i found it, the thread i originally started coz i too, am obsessed with TON :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=69216

Reply to topic