Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WolfieboyMachi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:00 pm 

So after having heard people bagging on about Blackguard always being on tour and infecting the lineups of warm-uppers for good bands, I decided to look up a live vid of them.
And I've got to be honest, after seeing the live clip I found, I kinda wanna go see them live. Even if I'm not a fan of their music.
Their live act is just so energic and kickass.

I had a similar experience a while back with a band I had never heard of called Vicious Rumors. They were warming up for Hammerfall, and I ended up enjoying them more than the band they were opening for.

So now I'm turning to you guys. Do you know of any bands like this? Bands that put on such an energic, kickass live show that you can get pumped even if you're not really a fan?
Please share.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:04 pm 

The Faceless immediately come to mind. I can't watch any live videos right now, but I saw them on Summer Slaughter last month and they killed it. The crowd went nuts, the place just surged with energy, it was complete chaos and most importantly - They sounded way better live than they do on record. I wasn't really a fan of them before the show, but they sure made a believer out of me that night. I highly recommend you make one of their shows if you can.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:05 pm 

The Dillinger Escape Plan are insane live, just look up any random video of them. And the music is also great, I personally think they are the greatest alternative act since Faith No More.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 pm 

Hypocrisy is the best live band I've seen. The light show they put on is amazing.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 am 

Decrepit Birth. Mainly their vocalist and drummer. The vocalist likes to pretend to cast spells and also pretends to play guitar solos on his microphone. The drummer sometimes spins a stick, windmill-headbangs, and plays blastbeats all at the same time. He was a joy to watch.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:54 am 

by far the most energetic live show I've ever seen was Origin (seen them twice now and both times were fucking amazing), their new vocalist Jason Keyser really knows how to get a crowd going. Second best would have to be Aborted, but that's coming from a long time fan of that band to begin with, so that may be a bit biased, but I know I spent alotta time pushing people around in a circle during their set at Fubar.
And to the OP, I've seen Blackguard live before and they do put on an excellent live show. Very Bodom-ish but they have a bit of their own sound as well underneath the finnish synthy melodeath. Their newest album is by far superior to their first, I'd reccommend checking that out first, their debut album really didn't strike my interest.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:02 pm 

Best I can do is for the thousandth time tell the story of Deceased playing at Wacken Open Air 2001. They had pretty much the worst time slot imaginable, playing at fucking ten in the fucking morning. So there were like what, a hundred people attending the show? If that! And naturally pretty much everyone was either hungover as all hell, still half asleep, or both. And man did Fowley and the boys put on one hell of a spirited show. As if they were fucking headlining the whole festival. So energetic and so full of life, it really got the sleepy, hungover, generally grumpy crowd moving, and I assure you, every one of those grumpy young men and women came out of the show with a smile and/or a sore neck. It was one hell of a show!

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:41 pm 

Oh, Rotten Sound too.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:10 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Best I can do is for the thousandth time tell the story of Deceased playing at Wacken Open Air 2001. They had pretty much the worst time slot imaginable, playing at fucking ten in the fucking morning. So there were like what, a hundred people attending the show? If that! And naturally pretty much everyone was either hungover as all hell, still half asleep, or both. And man did Fowley and the boys put on one hell of a spirited show. As if they were fucking headlining the whole festival. So energetic and so full of life, it really got the sleepy, hungover, generally grumpy crowd moving, and I assure you, every one of those grumpy young men and women came out of the show with a smile and/or a sore neck. It was one hell of a show!

This. Any band that King Fowley fronts is going to be energetic as hell live. I'd love to see Deceased again.

Overkill, of course, is legendary for their killer shows, and for good reason. If you go see Overkill, you're gonna have a good time. Same goes for Iron Maiden. I dreamt of seeing them for years and years, and when I finally did, I was not disappointed. Those guys are twice my age, and have about 10 times the energy I have. =D

I've been inclined to bash Morbid Angel for a long time now, but after seeing them a week and a half ago, I've had to revise my opinion. They may not have a perfect track record when it comes to albums, but they can put on a damn good show when they want to, and at this show, they wanted to. For a setlist composed of mostly old material, they performed it as if they just wrote all of it yesterday and were still excited as hell about it.

I've seen lots of other bands that put on great shows, but I'm running on about two hours of sleep right now, so I'll leave 'em for later.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:11 am 

The Faceless have nailed it all 4 times I have seen them.

Singularity also owns every show I have seen them.

Behemoth was a great energetic live show.

I don't like Avenged Sevenfold but I saw them live and they did an amazing job and were one of the more energetic bands I have seen.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:54 pm 

Suffocation fits the bill.

TikrasTamsusNaktis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:13 pm 

The band Fell Voices actually always amazes me with the intensity of their drummer and how he does the vocals by screaming over top the instruments without a mic!

Reply to topic