Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IllBeBach0213
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:53 pm 

I'm looking for what you guys believe is the best book on black metal, mainly on the suicide of Dead, the murder by Varg, and the church burnings.

Any suggestions?

Books with photos can help, but are not required.

ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:01 am 

How about Lords of Chaos? It about the early Black Metal scene and features church burnings and murders.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:59 am 

Gavin Baddeley's "Lucifer Rising" has a couple of chapters about Black Metal.

CadenZ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:24 am 

Dayal Patterson's books are pretty nice, much better than Lords of Chaos which is disjointed, rambling, incoherent, and, according to several important figures in the scene, erroneous regarding many facts and connections between people and bands.

TikrasTamsusNaktis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:50 pm 

Dayal Patterson's books are much much better than Lords of Chaos simply because the books aren't nearly as sensational as Lords of Chaos is. LofC mainly focuses on the "crimes" and such that followed the Norwegian scene and then quickly starts talking about different "scenes" such as in Germany and there is even quite a bit of talking about America. But Black Metal by Dayal Patterson is certainly much more informative about the MUSIC and it feels much more informative and honest compared to LofC. But that's just my opinion. Plus like the guy above me said basically everyone from the "original norwegian scene" hates this book and the fact that there's going to be a HOLLYWOOD shitty movie with shit people making the move and acting in it, it goes to show you right there how much sensationalism there is in regards to Lords of Chaos.

Or read Metalion: The Slayer Mag Diaries. Im actually just reading it now and its a collection of all the issues of Slayer zine that was around before during and after the "norwegian scene." This Metalion guy was actually a part of the scene and a good friend of many of the members in various bands. Its mainly just interviews with many many bands but its highly informative, and it almost makes you be able to feel the same way how it would have to listen to this music for the first time in the early 90s. This is basically the first print anywhere regarding what we now know as "black metal"

IllBeBach0213
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:55 am 

Does "Black Metal" by Patterson talk about the Black Circle, church burnings and murders?

pfk505
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:15 am 

It doesn't meet your specific interest in the Norwegian scene but Wolves Among Sheep is one of the best books I have come across about black metal, at least one subset of it.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:45 pm 

IllBeBach0213 wrote:
I'm looking for what you guys believe is the best book on black metal, mainly on the suicide of Dead, the murder by Varg, and the church burnings.

It almost seems odd that you would ask this and not know of Lords of Chaos, since it covers that stuff almost specifically. No surprise that was the first suggestion.

Reply to topic