Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:10 am 

Azrael44 wrote:

Also im lately looking for funeral doom with organ pipes, i hope you can help me guys

Skepticism
Profetus/ As All Seasons Die
Quercus/ Heart With Bread
Pantheist
There's some organ in Wijlen Wij, I think

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:31 am 

Talented Juli wrote:
Does anybody know anything with that same crushing "oomph" to it that Thorr's Hammer has? I'm thinking like the "bass drop" (if you want to call it that) in Norge.

Moss is what you need, check out Sub Templum
Wreck of the Hesperus would be another good exemple of that kind or grainy crushingness

I'd say the sludge doom scene could also be the place where to find that kind of sound, like the massive Migration Ep by Buried at sea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3jzKrMZL08

And if you want some growls in your sludge, check out UR
https://ur-doom.bandcamp.com/

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:24 pm 

so i heard extreme cold winter earlier today.
It is kind of a mix between Winter and Monotheist by Celtic Frost. Its got elements of other doom/death styles as well but its very early 90s.
The band includes A.J. van Drenth of beyond belief and pim blankstein of officium triste. Better than i expected for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwaWI2dL6Rc
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ext ... iscography

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:43 pm 

Reminds me of Corrupted in how they seem to just play heavy chords without much focus on making them into a riff, and in how the singer sounds more like talking in a death growl voice than doing the accentuation of the rhythm death metal vocalists usually do.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Artofgrind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 am 

Death/Doom from San Diego

https://tideless.bandcamp.com/releases

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:50 am 

Artofgrind wrote:

You also spammed your band here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38296&start=4600
Just make a thread about your band instead of spamming it, please.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:16 pm 

Guess I should have posted this here.
I am really enjoying https://musicalexcrements.bandcamp.com/album/antithesis It's the new album from Deha under his Yhdarl side. It is just under 5 hours and is amazing Funeral Doom with Drone elements. It's from Deha who is in bands such as Clouds, God Eat God, and KFR.

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:56 am 

Yhdarl's Ave Maria was excellent and unique. I hope this new album won't let me down.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:55 am 

It's not really a 'new' album, it's some very early material on the contrary that Déhà has laid hands on quite recently, and unexpectedly. But all his talent is there already.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:26 pm 

Thoughts on upcomming Morast? I am looking forward to it!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:34 pm 

So I've discovered this cool Polish band called Funeral Cult lately. Style wise they're quite an oddball! They're too weird to be put into either the romantic or death-y doom/death camp. Their riffs come off somewhat claustrophobic at times and the keyboards sound like Burzum at times.

Also are there any fans of Eternal Darkness here? Their previously unreleased mini album found in their compilation stuff sounds solid. Like a less gothic-y Gothic era Paradise Lost or something. :p

BoltThrower19
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:00 pm 

Can someone please help me identify this guitar riff??? What song is it from? I thought it was Mournful Congregation, but I'm not so sure anymore. Thanks.
[youtube] https://youtu.be/lT8PisK49NQ [/youtube]

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:19 am 

BoltThrower19 wrote:
Can someone please help me identify this guitar riff??? What song is it from? I thought it was Mournful Congregation, but I'm not so sure anymore. Thanks.

BrokencYde: Freaxxx

Fromage_Qui_Pue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:16 pm 

colin040 wrote:
So I've discovered this cool Polish band called Funeral Cult lately. Style wise they're quite an oddball! They're too weird to be put into either the romantic or death-y doom/death camp. Their riffs come off somewhat claustrophobic at times and the keyboards sound like Burzum at times.

Also are there any fans of Eternal Darkness here? Their previously unreleased mini album found in their compilation stuff sounds solid. Like a less gothic-y Gothic era Paradise Lost or something. :p

Funeral Cult sound both to me.
Nice discoveries, thanks :)

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:52 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Artofgrind wrote:

You also spammed your band here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38296&start=4600
Just make a thread about your band instead of spamming it, please.

In the promotional forum only, not in recommendations.

https://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewforum.php?f=9

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:00 am 

Didn't know this thread existed, crosspost from the D/S/S thread:

Quote:
Could anybody recommend me a band in the vein of Magus? I loved "Ruminations of Debauchery" and would love to hear more in that vein, where it can transition from blasting brutal death metal to almost dirge-like funeral doom?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:25 pm 

BoltThrower19 wrote:

You could always try listening to the entire discography of Mournful Congregation.

I mean, you might not find that riff, but you will have listened to the entire discography of Mournful Congregation. You can never go wrong with listening to the entire discography of Mournful Congregation.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:20 pm 

What do you guys think of Arcana Coelestia ?
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ar ... stia/85830
I have listened to Le Mirage de l'idéal and Nomas few times, i have to say its pretty monotous but they had few decent ideas. Honestly i think Nomas is better. The intro stayed in my head for last 2 days

I guess they stick too much with that "Esoteric - The Secret of The secret" sound, let me know what you think guys.
As a side note i have to admit that Le Mirage de l'idéal inside artwork is really decent but i cant find it on internet

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:24 pm 

Recently I've been enjoying the first two Obituary albums. Does anybody know any extremely doomy bands in the vein of Obituary? I have already heard Winter (so far the closest thing I've heard to this description), by the way, and I love that band.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:51 am 

The Crazy Old School Music Fan wrote:
Recently I've been enjoying the first two Obituary albums. Does anybody know any extremely doomy bands in the vein of Obituary? I have already heard Winter (so far the closest thing I've heard to this description), by the way, and I love that band.

You must be a troll. This is not the first time I see you making unhinged posts like this. First recommending doom bands in a black metal topic and such.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:56 pm 

hes not that far off the mark. Hes hearing the CF influence.
Check out the dutch doom/death scene with bands like spina bifida, delirium, asphyx and necro schizma.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:46 pm 

The Crazy Old School Music Fan wrote:

COFFINS-MORTUARY IN DARKNESS!

Last FM

Kommanderhooyah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:55 pm 

Can anyone recommend some melodic death/doom akin to October Tide and Daylight Dies, but with black metal influence? Anything from riffs to vocals is alright, even some faster sections and blastbeats are acceptable. Some keys and/or synths are welcome, but not necessary. Thank you.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:51 am 

Kommanderhooyah wrote:
Can anyone recommend some melodic death/doom akin to October Tide and Daylight Dies, but with black metal influence? Anything from riffs to vocals is alright, even some faster sections and blastbeats are acceptable. Some keys and/or synths are welcome, but not necessary. Thank you.

I'm thinking of The Mormingside: https://themorningside.bandcamp.com/
Letters From The Empty Towns is their more BM-sounding album.
Raventale is worth investigating too, starting with this album for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5_MBzmmrKc

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:26 pm 

Kommanderhooyah wrote:

Try In Ruins' Four Seasons of Grey

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:04 pm 

Kommanderhooyah wrote:

Try Forgotten Tomb

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:26 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
hes not that far off the mark. Hes hearing the CF influence.
Check out the dutch doom/death scene with bands like spina bifida, delirium, asphyx and necro schizma.

He is.

~Guest 406599
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:37 pm 

Hello. I'm looking for doom metal albums (preferably) about various large-scale human tragedies (natural / technogenic disasters, wars, terrorist acts, shipwrecking, plane crashing, etc.) and their consequences (victims of the disaster, destroyed / flooded / burned places).
- Real or fictitious, it doesn't matter.
- Various "atmospheric" sounds (explosions; nature sounds: wind, storm, earthquake, etc.) + low / deep growls + less aggression, more sadness and grief in the mood are definitely a plus.
For example, sea / ocean tragedies:
On Thorns I Lay - Atlantis I
Ahab - The Divinity of Oceans

Thanks!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:59 pm 

OlikaHeil wrote:
Hello. I'm looking for doom metal albums (preferably) about various large-scale human tragedies (natural / technogenic disasters, wars, terrorist acts, shipwrecking, plane crashing, etc.) and their consequences (victims of the disaster, destroyed / flooded / burned places).
- Various "atmospheric" sounds (explosions; nature sounds: wind, storm, earthquake, etc.) + low / deep growls + less aggression, more sadness and grief in the mood are definitely a plus.

Thanks!

Kauan/ Sorni Nai about the events of Dyatlov Pass (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident)
Mourning Dawn/ For The Fallen about the battles of WWI

These are the sole albums I can think of at the moment.

~Guest 406599
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:45 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Kauan/ Sorni Nai about the events of Dyatlov Pass (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident)
Mourning Dawn/ For The Fallen about the battles of WWI

These are the sole albums I can think of at the moment.

Thanks for your recommendations. I was familiar with "Sorni Nai", but I didn't know about "For The Fallen". Both albums are suitable for me, it's definitely the lyrics, slow/middle - tempo music and "less - aggressive" mood I'm looking for.
Sadly, I saw a similar request (about WWI / WWII) and there were more albums, in Black Metal Help Thread. So, I'll be very grateful, If anyone else will be able to remember any relevant albums. It doesn't have to be a real / true story or famous historical event (this is preferred but not necessarily required). Lyrics also can be based on legends / fiction books, movies / songwriter's own imagination.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:43 pm 

There's also, but I'm stretching the scope of your request here, the long song by AMORT about the true story of a poor girl left starving to death in his locked room in Loudun, France:
https://amort.bandcamp.com/album/ives-amort-split-cd

~Guest 406599
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:53 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
There's also, but I'm stretching the scope of your request here, the long song by AMORT about the true story of a poor girl left starving to death in his locked room in Loudun, France:
https://amort.bandcamp.com/album/ives-amort-split-cd

Oh.. death from starvation is one of the most terrible tragedies, that's for sure.
Ideally, I was looking for something more "large-scale": events that have affected the fate of many people (as for starvation, "The Coffin Ships" by Primordial is the best example), but, anyway, thanks for helping me out. I was really impressed by ''In Bed With Decay''.

Last edited by ~Guest 406599 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:58 pm 

Yes, it is a very fine song. Btw, this sad story took place in Poitiers, not in Loudun, a city famous for another "devilish" reason...

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:47 pm 

OlikaHeil wrote:

Thanks!

All of The Slow Death's albums are concept albums telling stories of the death of humanity (the first is about The Bubonic Plague, the second is about a cataclysmic event, the third is about humans trying to survive in space and failing). The sounds that you refer to aren't present, but there are extremely deep male grunts (alongside clean female singing). Also the music is extremely atmospheric, and leans more towards spacious doom riffs with the occasional thrown in melodeath section. The sadness of the music is so intense that it's almost beautiful.

This is their most recent album, Ark (the one based off of humans trying to survive in space).

There is also a rawer, lesser known one-man project known as Monuments to Sorrow. His only release was an EP known as Ground 00, which is a thirty-five minute track of really claustrophobic funeral doom/drone metal about 9/11. It's not really all that atmospheric, though there are some pretty emotional solos in the mix. It'd probably be your interest moreso for the lyrics alone.

Unfortunately, the track in its entirety hasn't been uploaded on YouTube, so you'll have to listen to it broken down into four parts on his Myspace page.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:28 am 

OlikaHeil wrote:

Thanks!

I think Worship - Dooom perfectly fits (minus the "atmospheric sounds"). As one of the reviewers described it:
Quote:
Dooom is a concept album, telling the tale of a man who awakens upon an altar of stone to find himself in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, the world he knew in ruins. Seemingly the last human on earth, he wanders around for a while wallowing in angst, before he stumbles upon a faceless cult who believe that the Earth was purged for its sins, and that he must die to complete the Earth’s penance. Our protagonist escapes from the cult’s clutches and wallows in despair some more before surrendering to the cult, accepting his fate, and welcoming death as he is crucified.

~Guest 406599
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
All of The Slow Death's albums are concept albums telling stories of the death of humanity (the first is about The Bubonic Plague, the second is about a cataclysmic event, the third is about humans trying to survive in space and failing). The sounds that you refer to aren't present, but there are extremely deep male grunts (alongside clean female singing). Also the music is extremely atmospheric, and leans more towards spacious doom riffs with the occasional thrown in melodeath section. The sadness of the music is so intense that it's almost beautiful. ...

Amazing! This is exactly what I was looking for. There is no need for any special sounds to feel the atmosphere of unfolding human tragedy. The lyrics by themselves are so full of terrible details and utter despair that it even scares me:

" ..Every generation, forgets the mistakes
Of those who came before
Ours will be the last to learn
The consequences of war.."

''..And in the lonely silence, there is not a soul
To remember that here, there once was life.."

It would be hard to single out any particular album or song: all of them are amazing masterpieces. As for the vocals, there's one of the most pleasant female singing I've ever heard (in death/doom and funeral doom metal genres), male vocals are great too.

Belial wrote:
I think Worship - Dooom perfectly fits (minus the "atmospheric sounds"). As one of the reviewers described it:
Quote:
Dooom is a concept album, telling the tale of a man who awakens upon an altar of stone to find himself in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, the world he knew in ruins. Seemingly the last human on earth, he wanders around for a while wallowing in angst, before he stumbles upon a faceless cult who believe that the Earth was purged for its sins, and that he must die to complete the Earth’s penance. Our protagonist escapes from the cult’s clutches and wallows in despair some more before surrendering to the cult, accepting his fate, and welcoming death as he is crucified.

I completely agree, these tragic tales about apocalypce / or post-apocalypce are perfectly combined with ultra-slow funeral doom music. I especially like the prolonging, "moaning" guitar sounds (at the end of "All I Ever Knew Lie Dead" and in the beginning of "I Am The End - Crucifixion Part 2").
Additional ''atmospheric sounds'' are not necessary at all.

And again, thank you, everyone, for the recommendations. I would've had trouble finding all of these albums and songs. The results of advanced searching by genre- and lyrics- filters (at least, albums I've checked out) included doom metal with personal tragedies, or more "aggressive" music and vocals with the emphasis on hatred and revenge in the lyrics.

Last edited by ~Guest 406599 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kommanderhooyah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:15 pm 

Could anyone recommend some blackened funeral doom with some noise elements? Something along the lines of Primitive Man meets Usnea, with the harsh, suffocating cacophony of the former, but the melodic and clean sections of the latter, and the faster, more black metal-influenced sections of both. Thank you.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:08 am 

Kommanderhooyah wrote:
Could anyone recommend some blackened funeral doom with some noise elements? Something along the lines of Primitive Man meets Usnea, with the harsh, suffocating cacophony of the former, but the melodic and clean sections of the latter, and the faster, more black metal-influenced sections of both. Thank you.

I don't see any funeral doom band that would combine noisy and melodic elements, slow and fast passages. The idea sounds a bit like a pose to me.... There are a bunch of good raw, blackened Funeral Doom bands though, but there's not a trace of melody to be found in there, and the overall pace is usually very slow.

So, if we stick to noisy, lo-fi stuff, I can point you to these three, just to make up your mind:
the recent French project Malemort (more blackened death doom à la Funeralium): https://malemort-doom.bandcamp.com/releases
MORDOR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT2PbUbF1V0
WORMPHLEGM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjFkr9N0iR4

Now, in the postcore / Sludge scene, there're stuff that are far more eccentric, but I am not the best judge; this kind of stuff for instance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT-q8iK9ZPo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bmXd6g9nUU

or come to think of it, Monarch! a female-fronted drone doom project it is both crushing and has some more """melodic""" moments too, mostly carried by the voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGdIAAX5Szw

Kommanderhooyah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:37 pm 

I figured it would be a long shot to find something like that, especially since one of the bands I used as a reference point is not funeral doom. However, what I have listened to so far of the bands you recommended are certainly to my taste. Thank you:

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:26 am 

You're Welcome. If you need more recs about that rawer kind of FD, I have some more cards to play... ;)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next