Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:13 pm 

Thanks for the recs everyone. Regarding the bands themselves:

Dolorian: I'm only familiar with their 2006 effort Voidwards. I quite like this band, but even though I can hear similarities between this band and Esoteric, it's a case of 'close but no cigar' sadly. The music just has a wholly different vibe for me.

Inverloch: Familiar with them as well, hoping they'll release something new at some point, but while they do have some Esoteric vibes, as androdion said it's just not enough haha.

Disembowelment: Very familiar (and absolutely love) this band already :)

Hyponic: Chinese funeral doom, huh? Interesting! I'll have to investigate this band further. The track you linked was alright, but I'm listening to the album on youtube now, and the second track in particular is pretty awesome. Again, not sure how like Esoteric this is, but I can hear some similarities.

Urna: I'm checking out their 2013 album Mors Principium Est and I actually quite like this band so far, so thanks!

Woebegone Obscured: Already somewhat familiar with this band, but thanks. I quite like them, but never thought they sounded much like Esoteric really.

I find the main issue I have with all the bands that have similarities to Esoteric is that while the similarities are there and all, their music just evokes a completely different atmosphere. Ah well, more recommendations are always appreciated ;) worst case I get some more music to check out.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:13 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
I find the main issue I have with all the bands that have similarities to Esoteric is that while the similarities are there and all, their music just evokes a completely different atmosphere. Ah well, more recommendations are always appreciated ;) worst case I get some more music to check out.

Try Septic Mind's debut. Complete Esoteric Rip-off; but an excellent one.

check that thread too: http://www.doom-metal.com/phpbb2/viewto ... =10&t=7186

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:59 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
Urna: I'm checking out their 2013 album Mors Principium Est and I actually quite like this band so far, so thanks!

That album feature one of the guys in Progenie Terrestre Pura, which is enough for me to check it out. :D

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:44 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Try Septic Mind's debut. Complete Esoteric Rip-off; but an excellent one.

That's by far the closest yet, thanks very much! :-D

I'm reading that thread now. I'll post my thoughts here I guess when I get through all the bands listed there.

ConvictionMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:20 am 

Looking for good Old School DM bands with these characteristics:

Vocals: Raw, i don't want the typical death grunts like necrophagist, i'm looking for crazy vocals, changing often from mid-tone screams to high-pitched ones, like Death's SBG or early autopsy.
Guitars: A few solos, but i search mostly great riffs, mostly tremolo-picked insane melodies and thrashy ultra-fast stuff, also down-tempo parts with twisted melodies and heavy doomy riffs.
Bass: Distorted and audible, very audible.
Drums: Fast with relentless blast-beats, with some punky attitude.

I don't want ultra technical stuff, and i also don't want minimalistic shit. I want songs with an excellent set of riffs and death metal madness basically.
THANKS!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:36 am 

ConvictionMetal wrote:
Looking for good Old School DM bands

Wrong thread, yo. You wanna go here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38278

This thread is all about death/doom metal, like My Dying Bride, Evoken, and Barren Earth. So if you're looking for something slower and doomier, this is the place.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:00 pm 

So, can I get some help in finding Funeral Doom Metal released in 2013 that is worthwhile to you? In particular, music that emphasizes, with clarity, the riffs being played, rather than washing them away in reverb or other such effects. I don't mind if reverb or anything else is present, just that it is not used to distract from uninteresting songwriting. Really, I would just like to hear the highlights in the genre from last year so that I can finish getting caught up.

From that year, I've already listened to Funeralium, Ataraxie, Abstract Spirit, Mental Torment, Abbotoir, Bosque, and The Howling Void.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:51 am 

The most recent really good funeral doom album I can think of is Evoken's 'Atra Mors' from 2012, but that one's a doozy - *easily* one of the best metal albums I've heard from the last several years. Evoken's got to be one of the better bands out there not just in extreme doom, but in metal period.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:08 am 

That Merkstave album was pretty decent.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:39 pm 

Meditari wrote:
So, can I get some help in finding Funeral Doom Metal released in 2013 that is worthwhile to you? In particular, music that emphasizes, with clarity, the riffs being played, rather than washing them away in reverb or other such effects. I don't mind if reverb or anything else is present, just that it is not used to distract from uninteresting songwriting. Really, I would just like to hear the highlights in the genre from last year so that I can finish getting caught up.

From that year, I've already listened to Funeralium, Ataraxie, Abstract Spirit, Mental Torment, Abbotoir, Bosque, and The Howling Void.

My Shameful is sort of funeral-ish. The only other band from last year I liked that fits that genre is Funeralium.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:48 pm 

Meditari, check out Lycus's debut - Tempest.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Lycus/3540332243

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:07 am 

Thank you for the suggestions. I agree with any positive sentiment towards the music of Evoken, I need to listen to Merkstave (I haven't heard of them before, thanks for bringing them up), and how could I forgot about Lycus, shouvince? I played Tempest walking to work more than a few times. Such a great album.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:25 am 

Lycus are from my neck of the woods (Oakland, CA). I've been meaning to get the vinyl of 'Tempest' but haven't gotten around to it.

BloodVaults
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:03 am 

I'm looking for funeral doom metal with a little bit of black metal thrown in. You know, something like Blood Geometry. That would be awesome.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:47 am 

Nortt from Denmark is a good one, once you get past the lengthy "spooky" intros to seemingly every song...

UmmeneskeligNavnlos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:00 pm 

BloodVaults wrote:
I'm looking for funeral doom metal with a little bit of black metal thrown in. You know, something like Blood Geometry. That would be awesome.

Besides Nortt, check Abyssmal Sorrow.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:17 pm 

I had forgotten how excellent Disembowelment were. Their album sounds like your worst nightmare caught on tape.

Thoughts on Dark Millennium here? I've only heard their debut so far but got hooked pretty easily. Very riff-oriented melodic doom/death with a mystic fantasy-alike vibe.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:37 am 

If you haven't heard it yet, hear it. Some of the best death/doom sort of stuff I've heard in a while.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:43 am 

That... wow, yeah. That's some amazing stuff right there. Have you heard the demo when they were known as Nyarlathotep?

In regards to this thread http://www.doom-metal.com/phpbb2/viewto ... =10&t=7186 I figured I'd finally get round to posting my thoughts on the bands mentioned that I didn't cover earlier.

Abstract Spirit: This is pretty interesting. Not quite sold on the choir vocals that seem to permeate a lot of it, but when it really gets going with a bit more heaviness it definitely piques my interest. This track in particular is pretty good, I thought: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz_OGaCqoZQ I should check out their new album.

Arcana Coelestia: I was already somewhat familiar with this band, but never looked into them in depth. Not hearing much in the way of Esoteric similarities, but as far as funeral doom is concerned I'd almost call it pretty. Very atmospheric, but while I like it I can't imagine listening to it very often.

Aglaomorpha: Russia certainly seems to be popular this sort of thing. This is one of the more interesting death/doom bands I've heard, to be honest. Good stuff.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:20 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
If you haven't heard it yet, hear it. Some of the best death/doom sort of stuff I've heard in a while.
Stomach Earth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eitNNvCiBc

Yeah, definitely. Perhaps it's being overlooked by many because it's Mike Mckenzie's project. I know many old schoolers might shun such things but it's definitely a good effort. The guy is great with whatever he does.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:24 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
. Have you heard the demo when they were known as Nyarlathotep?

I have now. That was cool stuff, for sure. I'm also going to go ahead and second your Abstract Spirit rec, I'd easily call their sophomore full length one of the best funeral doom records in the history of the genre.

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:19 am 

This is a bit odd request, but I feel it either belongs to this thread or I should make a new especially for it. I'm looking for something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aue3NrdtzN0

This band is called Bohren & Der Club of Gore, and they play something called dark ambiental jazz or doom jazz. It's basically mix of jazz, ambient music and doom metal without metal.
And I really like it.

They're coming to Croatia and so I checked them. This song (On Demon Wings) sounds like funeral doom metal, without metal in it and without growls. It's like Skepticism playing jazz. And Skepticism are the greatest funeral doom band that was ever and ever will be.
So, in short, I think I'm looking for Skepticism style of music in other genres, especially jazz music. It's funny how I always thought, if I ever learn to play guitar :D, I'd be playing funeral doom with a saxophone, I always felt saxophone would fit into funeral doom so perfectly, like organs fit in it as well. Never thought you can also play funeral doom without metal.

It's probably his idea of metal. That Black Sabbath and Trouble stuff doesn't have enough gangsta giving the finger.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:14 am 

they are quite abusively called 'doom jazz'. there is nothing doom in their music. It's dark and slow. that doesn't make them a doom band. Let's not mix the labels.
If you want to listen to something similar, be sure there is nothing quite like them. My advice would be to listen to the two other bands that are related to Bohren: The Kilimandjaro Darkjazz Ensemble and The Mountfuji Doomjazz Corporation (just to contradict me!); Dale Cooper and the Dictaphones would be another good pick in that dark, nocturnal vein.

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:08 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
they are quite abusively called 'doom jazz'. there is nothing doom in their music. It's dark and slow. that doesn't make them a doom band. Let's not mix the labels.
If you want to listen to something similar, be sure there is nothing quite like them. My advice would be to listen to the two other bands that are related to Bohren: The Kilimandjaro Darkjazz Ensemble and The Mountfuji Doomjazz Corporation (just to contradict me!); Dale Cooper and the Dictaphones would be another good pick in that dark, nocturnal vein.

:ugh:
Do you know what word doom means? It's the feeling of unavoidable tragic destiny (thoughts of death coming for you, death of loved ones, disappearance without trace). Usually associated feelings for it are despair, sorrow, sadness, solitude, depression.
Images associated with doom are inevitable death, dark woods, mist that shrouds everything, black and white, distant horizon (imagery on doom metal albums).
Sounds associated with it are slow, deep vibrating echoing tones, slow, pouncing beats and slow moving rythms.

I've basically descriped average funeral doom metal band tries to achieve.
When you say there's nothing doom in this music, you either lie or can't feel it. It's not 'doom metal', because it's not played on guitars, drums and doesn't have growling vocals so it's not 'doom metal'.
But it evokes feelings of doom and I think it's as doom in style as doom metal is doom in its style.

And those 3 bands you suggested, are also doomy, and I like them.
I just wanted to criticize your view on genres and styles. :D
Else, music is just about playing instruments in specific way.

It's probably his idea of metal. That Black Sabbath and Trouble stuff doesn't have enough gangsta giving the finger.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:58 pm 

yeah, yeah, I'm a liar; they're a a doom band, and you're the best; kisses.
it's dark and slow, and you're right I don't feel any kind of impending doom in their brand of jazz. Sorry. Doom has to crush, it's HEAVY. Where's the heaviness in Bohren?
Come on, You can't call "doom" anything that crawls. That term has really become a silly mixed bag; that's a pity.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:02 pm 

Ok, looking for some Pink Floyd influenced doom metal, with clan vocals, something like Anathema (Eternity/Alternative 4 era), with great solos and deep emotional lyrics. No female vocals please! Thx!!!
Not hearsay but the will of man

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:29 am 

red_blood_inside wrote:
Ok, looking for some Pink Floyd influenced doom metal, with clan vocals, something like Anathema (Eternity/Alternative 4 era), with great solos and deep emotional lyrics. No female vocals please! Thx!!!

The later Tiamat material should be your first point of call:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQsX0Fvbwk

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:13 pm 

balbulus wrote:
red_blood_inside wrote:

The later Tiamat material should be your first point of call:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQsX0Fvbwk

I´m aware of Tiamat early and later works and, with the Skeleton... album exception, I think is a great band, I also know about Alternative 4 (the band, no the album), but thanx, is the kind of sound I´m looking for
Not hearsay but the will of man

Mesk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:32 am 

@ConvictionMetal

Regarding your request and remaining on this topic, there is a very good new death/doom ensemble from Italy that have release your debut in february '14. Its name is Fuoco Fatuo, they began as sludge metal band and evolved in classic death/doom similar to Incantation and Winter in 2013. It's a very good material, not so original but with a brilliant songwriting, brutality and a good ability to create macabre atmosphere. You can smell corpse putrefying as you listen their long songs.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fuo ... 3540354366

Mesk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:15 am 

@meditari

Listen to Ego Depths, it's possible to download their two full-length for free on their Bandcamp page:

http://egodepths.bandcamp.com/

It's a one-man band of a Ukrainian guy, now transferred in Canada. Its music seems a deep journey into the most obscure parts of the mind, guitar riffing is very impressive. Every riff is dramatically strong, long and in evolution from an heavy fist to a poetic melody. Very extreme and not dynamic, but it's painful as few other things.

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:45 pm 

Can anyone recommend a band similar to Hesper Payne? I discovered them recently and they don't sound like other doom bands. Very mossy, organic kind of sound. I like the mix of death/clean vocals too. What other bands play in this kind of style?

For reference:

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:19 pm 

@MalariaMosquito, try Beyond Belief.

nasum wrote:
Do you know what word doom means?

Its seems you don't know what it means, I'm not familiar with all of Bohren & Der Club of Gore's work so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears they do not even play metal, let alone doom.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:23 pm 

A new funeral doom band, pretty damn good. Worth a look for the fans of the genre.

http://sufferyourself.bandcamp.com/

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:59 pm 

Not bad, kind of reminded of Catacombs, Woebegone Obscured and to a lesser extent Wiljen Wij is where its at for newer funeral doom.

Metantoine, I've been curious for a while, have you ever tried listening to Nightly Gale?

dayyanum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:03 pm 

Anyone know of some catchier death/funeral doom? Not just oppressive noise, but something melodically memorable (and by melody I generally mean more evil sounding melodies).

Basically super slow death metal (growls and everything).

Examples:

First minute or two especially:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I84762UVKSg

First four minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Gsr1BK0Jo

Hooded Menace and November's Doom are worth mentioning, but both are a little too fast and just not 'monstrous' enough.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:01 pm 

dayyanum wrote:
Anyone know of some catchier death/funeral doom?

Spoiler: show

dayyanum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:06 pm 

Thanks Unhinged - I already listen to Runemagick (though they're still way too fast), but I liked The Funeral Orchestra. They seem a lot more in the doomy black metal realm though.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:34 pm 

dayyanum wrote:
Thanks Unhinged - I already listen to Runemagick (though they're still way too fast), but I liked The Funeral Orchestra. They seem a lot more in the doomy black metal realm though.

I'm actually surprised I can't think of any others right now, this is typically the kind of stuff that's easy for me to pick out. :/

I would like to hear some majestic doom. Something with an epic atmosphere, lots of clean vocals, perhaps some ambient or folk influences. The closer it sounds to Morgion, the better. (Stuff like Anathema and My Dying Bride is alright too, but I'm already very familiar with the more well-known doom/gothic/death bands out there. I'm looking for something that you'd need to dig to really come across.)

Spoiler: show

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:50 am 

Despite being fairly well known I guess you could check out Evoken's Quietus? That album has "majestic" splashed all over it in my book. You can also check Before The Rain and early Process Of Guilt (first album).

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:08 pm 

A couple of not-so-obvious recs for you, the unhinged:

Black Wreath, a funeral-paced doom death project that has that majestic side you're looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1g0QFmO0hQ, maybe the closest to Morgion I could think of.
Why Angels Fall is a one-of-a-kind poject that is absolutely overwhelming. Shrouded in majesty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpmNOcWPLCE

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 28  Next