Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:54 pm 

there is a dutch worship band called aardtmann op vuurtopberg.

insaneanguish
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:39 pm 

Dunnow but i just come across this band and definitely like the slow haunting atmosphere and melodies
I like to know if there's something similar to it "i already know the well known bands and old stuffs" Thank you!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:27 pm 

Discovered Ordeal's s/t EP some days ago. Cool hypnotizing doom/death that's pretty grandiose and epic sounding. Already makes me wonder what these guys can come up with once they deliver a full length album.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:42 pm 

Wanted to give a plug to Vainaja. I know they have been mentioned in this thread before but it's been a while. They just released a new album and have an album from 2015 as well. This is their 2015 album but the new one is also on their Bandcamp:

https://vainaja.bandcamp.com/album/kadotetut

Also I ran across this Dutch doom/death band called Dead End for the first time. Fans of that 90s style will enjoy this one

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:09 am 

Give me some drone/noise/doom!

pp3088
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:21 pm 

Doom/drone/noise

Doom/sludge/noise/drone

Drone/noise/power electronics

Funeral doom/drone/noise

blackstar_HU
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:00 pm 

Do you remember the CEMETARY band? Mathias Lodmalm?

THE LOST SONGS !!!
3 tracks
download links
here:
https://youtu.be/PMYrGZm-IsQ

Enjoy the music.
thx

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:27 pm 

Any recommendations on essential albums from the Peaceville 3, or any other band similar to them?? Always really liked old Katatonia and Opeth and whatnot but never really explored that melodic, gothy style of death/doom beyond them. Never heard much from those UK bands, I assume the older stuff is best but they still have large discographies.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:54 pm 

Anathema's Pentecost III is THE essential Peaceville 3 album. (I call it that for its length, I know it's officially an EP.)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:29 am 

Im looking for the heaviest stuff on earth, i know people mentioned it before but i need something beyond boundary. Death Doom or Funeral doom would be best. Ive listened to Wormphlegm, Tyranny and Catacombs, they are cool but bit boring sometimes. I have also heard Ceremonium, Inverloch, Rippikoulu, Evoken, Ahab and Esoteric.
My favourites are Disebmbowelment, Dusk and Paradise Lost first album so im looking for that kind of music or heavier with Deep growls

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:46 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Anathema's Pentecost III is THE essential Peaceville 3 album. (I call it that for its length, I know it's officially an EP.)

Damn I'm definitely enjoying this a lot! That slow, weepy buildup of the first song is really well done, and makes it all the more satisfying when the riffs finally come in. I feel like people talk about Anathema the least of the 3, it always made me assume they would be mediocre and forgettable but this is anything but.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:38 am 

Azrael44 wrote:
Im looking for the heaviest stuff on earth, i know people mentioned it before but i need something beyond boundary. Death Doom or Funeral doom would be best. Ive listened to Wormphlegm, Tyranny and Catacombs, they are cool but bit boring sometimes. I have also heard Ceremonium, Inverloch, Rippikoulu, Evoken, Ahab and Esoteric.
My favourites are Disebmbowelment, Dusk and Paradise Lost first album so im looking for that kind of music or heavier with Deep growls

Are you familiar with Esoteric's The Pernicious Enigma?!

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:05 am 

androdion wrote:
Azrael44 wrote:

Are you familiar with Esoteric's The Pernicious Enigma?!

yes and Metamorphogenesis too :)
Esoteric can be evil and heavy as hell but i dont like the noises and distortion, anyway Greg Chandler has impressive growls.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:31 am 

Though call then since you mentioned pretty much everything that's top about that kind of sound. I'd say to try Winter though it's more nihilistic sounding than evil sounding.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:39 pm 

Try some Totenmond - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G9sbhnQzLE

Don't mind the fast drums in the first part, they're primarily doomy.

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:29 pm 

@androdion, yeah i knew Winter too :p, but its not what im looking for
@droneriot, damn i like it but its not groundbreaking
I hope i will discover some mix of heaviness like in Disembowelment's album combined with Demilich growls but slowed down to Evoken speed or something like that. I think you know what im talking about, there has to be something groundbreaking, something more than heavy. I dont mind imprerfection, im not looking for a piece of art. I just feel like there should be something that crossed the border, heavy enough to make an earthquake. if such band/album/song doesnt exist, it a clear message that there is something new to discover.
Anyway thanks for replies

pp3088
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:15 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Any recommendations on essential albums from the Peaceville 3, or any other band similar to them?? Always really liked old Katatonia and Opeth and whatnot but never really explored that melodic, gothy style of death/doom beyond them. Never heard much from those UK bands, I assume the older stuff is best but they still have large discographies.

Anathema - The Silent Enigma(recommended album)

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans(recommended album)

My Dying Bride - Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium - one of the best EPs in doom metal

Paradise Lost - Gothic(recommended album)

- their best song, from 2015.

Last edited by pp3088 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pp3088
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:29 pm 

Azrael44 wrote:
@androdion, yeah i knew Winter too :p, but its not what im looking for
@droneriot, damn i like it but its not groundbreaking
I hope i will discover some mix of heaviness like in Disembowelment's album combined with Demilich growls but slowed down to Evoken speed or something like that. I think you know what im talking about, there has to be something groundbreaking, something more than heavy. I dont mind imprerfection, im not looking for a piece of art. I just feel like there should be something that crossed the border, heavy enough to make an earthquake. if such band/album/song doesnt exist, it a clear message that there is something new to discover.
Anyway thanks for replies

Rigor Sardonicus - Silens Somnium heaviest funeral doom metal I have ever heard. It gives me a headache every time.

Corrupted - Sos futuros

Grief - Depression

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:42 am 

Thanks pp3088, i definitely need more listening of Rigor Sardonicus. Corrupted is kinda similar to Hyponic, not only because they are all Asian :p. Grief got bit of Winter style. I enjoyed them all, thanks again. If anyone still want to show me something, ill be monitoring the topic.

Edit: I just found a band in youtube recomendations, they are absolutely amazing. Something like Tyranny.

Last edited by Azrael44 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:35 am 

Always been a sort of Disembowelment on an assortment of drugs to my ears:

I recommend focusing on the music and cutting them some slack for the mediocre vocals.

pp3088
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:05 pm 

Azrael44 wrote:
Thanks pp3088, i definitely need more listening of Rigor Sardonicus. Corrupted is kinda similar to Hyponic, not only because they are all Asian :p. Grief got bit of Winter style. I enjoyed them all, thanks again. If anyone still want to show me something, ill be monitoring the topic.

Try some Ataraxie, french death/funeral doom band:

Do you know band called Khanate? They are not fast, they are not that heavy with guitars, but the atmosphere, man - one of the most digusting vocal ever:
- the sequence from 13:30 to the end always gives me a massive goosebumps.

Have you ever tried doom/black metal? Try some

And maybe its not that heavy, but its essential doom listening. The Angelic Process made one of the best music album ever - crushingly beautiful and totaly original. There is no band with guitar sounding like those riffs. End of the world music.

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:03 pm 

@pp3088
I know all of them, but Ataraxie and Mourning Dawn are waiting in bookmarks, surely there will be time for them soon.
Khanate is weird, i enjoy other drone bands more (like Nadja)
And the last one, the gem. The Angelic Process is like massive world destruction, i discovered them like month ago and got me in right after first listening. Definitely crushing, beautiful and emotional. Whole "Weighing Souls With Sand" is amazing. This music has even deeper expression since Kris Angylus commited suicide.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:19 pm 

Their previous album is also pretty cool, like an undeveloped version of Weighing Souls With Sand. It's not as hard hitting though.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:47 pm 

Can anyone recommend any Finnish funeral doom bands. Always loved trad. and epic doom, like some death-doom and feel that I've never explored funeral doom enough. I've heard Skepticism and that's about it, and since Skepticism is from Finland and it's meant to be the centre of the scene, I'm asking for Finnish stuff. Thanks.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:46 am 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
Can anyone recommend any Finnish funeral doom bands. Always loved trad. and epic doom, like some death-doom and feel that I've never explored funeral doom enough. I've heard Skepticism and that's about it, and since Skepticism is from Finland and it's meant to be the centre of the scene, I'm asking for Finnish stuff. Thanks.

Thergothon is, alongside Skepticism, to be the baby-daddy for the funeral doom genre. It's hard to overlook them even with one album.

In addition, Colosseum and Shape of Despair are two bands from Finland that are also worthy examples of funeral doom metal in the 2000s.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:55 am 

Tyranny is another obvious choice for Finland, as is Wormphlegm. They're more on the creepy edge of the spectrum though.

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:22 am 

I love when bands are using Bells in the songs, I am looking for usage of bells in Doom and its Subgenres, can you hook me up with something??

Last song (53:36)

(5:10 and at the end)

Dcrpt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:41 am 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:

Red Moon Architect hasn't been mentioned. They have some pretty solid tunes.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:48 pm 

Hmm... something to sleep? Instrumental bands pls.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:34 pm 

Chlorprothixene 50mg + Lorazepam 20mg. That's not a band, though. The only instrumental band I know that fits in the "death/doom & funeral doom" category is Hjarnidaudi, though I get so deep into the music I'm more excited than sleepy. Some may find it relaxing, though.

---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6RzzZhpnM

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:41 pm 

Lorazepam doesn't work for me, will try the other two, thx.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:15 pm 

pp3088 wrote:
Anathema - The Silent Enigma(recommended album)

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans(recommended album)

My Dying Bride - Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium - one of the best EPs in doom metal

Paradise Lost - Gothic(recommended album)

Hey thanks, I ended up enjoying most of this stuff a lot! For some reason I was convinced I wouldn't like My Dying Bride, but Turn Loose the Swans turned out to be pretty damn heavy. I think a long time ago, the Sear Me song really put me off, but now when I listen to it with headphones it sounds pretty classy. I actually ended up liking MDB a bit more than Paradise Lost, who I expected to be a bit more heavy and death metally. Still gotta check out the PL debut tho.

At the end of the day, I do think I like the Swedish style death/doom a bit more than the Peaceville stuff. Went on a binge and got into October Tide, Novembers Doom, Daylight Dies, etc.

droneriot wrote:
The only instrumental band I know that fits in the "death/doom & funeral doom" category is Hjarnidaudi, though I get so deep into the music I'm more excited than sleepy. Some may find it relaxing, though.

---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6RzzZhpnM

Damn, this looks pretty damn great, posting to listen to the whole thing later. I don't care for a lot of drone but I do love Nadja, and that crazy fuzzy guitar tone hits the spot.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:36 am 

omnishadow wrote:
Hmm... something to sleep? Instrumental bands pls.

I know people into extremely slow doom like Luna; I'mnot that crazy about that project though, but here you are, you may find there what you're after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMdq7o3jhcw

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:25 pm 

I am a big fan of death/doom and gothic/doom, and I am look to find a band that plays a style of death/doom that sounds majestic, well-nuanced, and has a lot going on. I want to hear elements like folk/gothic/medieval instruments (violins, flutes, organs) and clean vocals in the mix, yet the music still sounds intense and heavy. I am not looking to hear the more clean, modern, melodic sounding bands like Swallow the Sun or Wine from Tears. I am also not looking for bands that border on funeral doom, like Evoken or The Slow Death. Here are some examples of albums that specifically suit what I am searching for.

Ashes You Leave - First three albums
Thorns of the Carrion - The Scarlet Tapestry
Morgion - Among Majestic Ruin
In Somnis - The Memory You've Become
Whispering Forest - Of Shadows and Pale Light
Desire - Infinity... A Timeless Journey into an Emotional Dream
Estatic Fear - Somnium Obmutum
Officium Triste - Ne Viviam
Grindmaster Dead - Stronger than Love
Silent Stream of Godless Elegy - Iron
Paramaecium - Within the Ancient Forest
Dissolving of Prodigy - Lamentations of Innocents
Crestfallen - Secrets of Time
Autumnal Discord - The Quest
Ars Moriendi - Sightlessness
Thy Withering Orchard - Soft Glow of Perishing Cold

I am more than familiar with all the big name bands, such as My Dying Bride, Anathema, Paradise Lost, Katatonia, Novembers Doom, Draconian, Saturnus, Tiamat, The Gathering, Virgin Black, and such. Again, I don't want something that sounds super clean or modern. A couple of newer bands that would be suitable for what I'm looking of would be The 11th Hour, Lycanthia, or Kimaera's first album. Some big pluses would be if it's a rare recording from the 90's, or if there are some decent female vocals in the mix. I realize this is a pretty extensive list, and a very particular niche of death/doom, so I may have hit a wall with all the material I've been able to find.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:37 pm 

Can someone tell me what the "essentials" of funeral doom are, especially if it has black metal influences?

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:47 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
I am a big fan of death/doom and gothic/doom, and I am look to find a band that plays a style of death/doom that sounds majestic, well-nuanced, and has a lot going on. I want to hear elements like folk/gothic/medieval instruments (violins, flutes, organs) and clean vocals in the mix, yet the music still sounds intense and heavy.

I don't want something that sounds super clean or modern. Some big pluses would be if it's a rare recording from the 90's, or if there are some decent female vocals in the mix.

Absurd Existence
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ab ... wings/7504
One of the best albums i know. It has almost everything you mentioned.

You can also check out Eternal Deformity demo from 1994 but it is more Melodic Death than Death Doom

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Et ... Time/19763

Are you familiar with Celestial Season?
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ce ... overs/7046
You'll find a lot of violin sound here

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:31 am 

@TheUnhinged

Shouldn't Castle be on your list? They seem to fit, and given the obscurity of some of your choices it seems you should know them. If you don't...

Don't just sample, listen to the whole song for the guitar solo!

Don't just sample, listen to the whole song for the grand piano!

A shame their name has been appropriated by a shit as fuck retro-doom muzak band.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:16 am 

@ The Unhinged; some recs for you:

Forest Stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQmfRMu7hI

Black Forest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhmArZDSbJs

Lanthanein
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXHxDyvhzuY

sebas4423
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:26 am 

Anyone got some recommendations for someone who enjoys this song a lot:

but has a hard time finding anything else he likes that sounds similar? I just loved both the instrumentals and the vocals.
I am aware and liked bands such as:

October Tide
Swallow the sun

But now I've run completely dry...

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:40 pm 

sebas4423 wrote:
Anyone got some recommendations for someone who enjoys this song a lot:

but has a hard time finding anything else he likes that sounds similar? I just loved both the instrumentals and the vocals.
I am aware and liked bands such as:

October Tide
Swallow the sun

But now I've run completely dry...

Do you know Doom:vs? Hardcore Saturnus worship, including the same vocalist on the most recent album.

You might also enjoy Draconian; the lead guitarist/songwriter is the same as in Doom:vs, only this project is more gothic

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next