Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cikaragua
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:47 pm 

Hey, check Life's Edge death/doom metal band from Lithuania http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=473qGP1y0AY

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:24 pm 

Obscurum wrote:
Anyone know any funeral doom with "harsh" female vocals?

Both projects are more black/doomy sounding, but Tunes of Despair and Furva Ambiguitas reach funeral doom extremes at time.

Monarch could also be applicable here as well, if you prefer your funeral doom to sound particularly loud and extreme.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 pm 

I can't get over how awful I find Paradise Lost's recent album. They were recommended to me because I wanted a band similar to My Dying Bride and when you usually ask for a band similar to MDB, people quickly bring up Paradise Lost. Are they kidding me? :grumble: I mean, doom is not usually my cup of tea but come on, even I know My Dying Bride is the more superior band. I have listened to both bands' 2012 records and they have nothing in common.

Tragic Idol is very clean sounding and rather generic in places and as it turns out, that is how they've been playing for a while now. I listened to Draconian Times too (since everyone is bananas over it) and it is as distant from My Dying Bride as the sun is from Earth (a bit of an exaggeration there, but I am fucking EXASPERATED!) Lyrically, My Dying Bride is much more tasteful and careful with their deliveries. Their delicate theatricality used to grate on my nerves sometimes but I have come to absolutely appreciate Stainthorpe and company's body of work. Paradise Lost on the other hand seem to be better at lacing their doom with angst. It is more bitter than tragic, if you will. But back to Tragic Idol, the guitars can get nicely melancholic and tender in places, I'll give you that and they still know how to craft an atmosphere but the vocals piss me off. Nick Holmes is not the worst singer but the vocals are very big in the mix and on songs like "Crucify", it sounds like that guy from Mastodon took over the mic. My Dying Bride on the other hand still maintain subtlety as key in their delivery so there go your comparisons.

A Map Of All Our Failures is the true tragic anything. The song "Like A Perpetual Funeral" carried me to a land so desolate where even misery seemed exuberant and superficial. It is "big" in terms of, it is "envelopingly big" rather than big in places as say, Nick Holmes' angsty vocals. Aaron Stainthorpe's delivery is not given to over exaggeration. There are times you as the listener want to weep in overtones, and yet he keeps his lyrical grief low and humble. It is more effective that way, as it turns out. A Map Of All Our Failures is filled with such sublime (well, sublimely dismal) moments and I predict it will grow better with age. The thing about MDB albums is that they are the kind of records you can always return to and contemplate. I didn't like The Angel And The Dark River or The Light At The End Of The World on first listens, but as I revisited them over and over again, some things became more apparent. Yes, My Dying Bride can come off a bit too indulgent sometimes (but the same could be said for bands as disparate as Death, Opeth, King Crimson, Deep Purple, Virgin Steele, Incantation, Emperor, Dream Theater...heck, even Black Sabbath!) but the point is; sometimes an overflow of ideas can only be expressed in oceans. And if that overwhelms upon first listen, then take a step back, breathe, and sip gently. :-D

*I'm laughing at my own wit (or lack thereof)*

I am a huge fan of My Dying Bride now and I am in awe of their large and graceful body of work. Paradise Lost is generally forgettable as far as I'm concerned and can in no way compare. :)

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:06 pm 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
ranting about personal opinions

And then? :boring:

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:46 pm 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
I can't get over how awful I find Paradise Lost's recent album. They were recommended to me because I wanted a band similar to My Dying Bride and when you usually ask for a band similar to MDB, people quickly bring up Paradise Lost. Are they kidding me? :grumble: I mean, doom is not usually my cup of tea but come on, even I know My Dying Bride is the more superior band. I have listened to both bands' 2012 records and they have nothing in common.

I am a huge fan of My Dying Bride now and I am in awe of their large and graceful body of work. Paradise Lost is generally forgettable as far as I'm concerned and can in no way compare. :)

I'm not sure I understand this, are those two the only Paradise Lost albums you've listened to? Because I don't think it's fair for you to judge their discography as a whole if you haven't heard any of their other work. Besides, you chose the wrong albums to listen to, if what you wanted was to hear something like My Dying Bride. They only truly sounded similar when they originally played doom/death metal, along with Anathema. If you want to know why Paradise Lost is comparable to My Dying Bride, then listen to Lost Paradise and Gothic.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 am 

I have to concede, overall, My Dying Bride is the better band but Paradise Lost had one of the most awesome debuts ever!
Lost Paradise is an incredible gem of an album and I wish more people would rate it highly. It is actually more "deathly" than MDB's first, As The Flower Withers.

The material they released from thereon wouldn't be as amazing unfortunately but I'd suggest Gothic for its incredible atmosphere and well crafted songs, Icon which is let's face it, a perfect execution of Doom meets Gothic that few bands will ever pull off, and one of my personal favorites, In Requiem whose anguish, I find deeply resonating.

My Dying Bride have been more consistent but also formulaic. Nevertheless, their discography is more daring. With Paradise Lost, especially on a record like Tragic Idol, you do get the feeling that they're playing it safe. The music sounds a whole lot cleaner than it did on Lost Paradise and Gothic and they just can't capture my attention for too long anymore.
MDB's A Map Of All Our Failures is as good as The Angel And The Dark River but more subtle. It has a genuine layer of melancholy to it that PL can't match anymore.

Plus MDB never left Peaceville! :-P

For those interested, MDB have a new EP coming out titled "The Manuscript";

shecriedyoucaved
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:23 am 

I'm looking for obscure early-mid 90s style death/doom.

I really dig Crestfallen-era Anathema, as well as the early Paradise Lost and MDB records. Stuff in that vein would be great.

I have discovered a few of the lesser known bands like Enchantment, Vacuum, Desire, Celestial Season, Dusk, Winter, Pyogenesis, and some others... but I want more!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 am 

A few of the marginally obscure doom/death bands from the early 90s that I can recall:
Church of Misery (US band, not the Jap band)?
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Chu ... sery/10708

Sorrow (US)
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sorrow/8783

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do :)

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:03 pm 

shecriedyoucaved wrote:

I really dig Crestfallen-era Anathema, as well as the early Paradise Lost and MDB records. Stuff in that vein would be great.

I have discovered a few of the lesser known bands like Enchantment, Vacuum, Desire, Celestial Season, Dusk, Winter, Pyogenesis, and some others... but I want more!

My Silent Wake

Officium Triste, with a slight Funeral doom vibe.

Saturnus
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:30 pm 

shecriedyoucaved wrote:

Somber Serenity

Cryptal Darkness

Earthcorpse

Lacrimas Profundere

Process of Guilt

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:44 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
Obscurum wrote:
Anyone know any funeral doom with "harsh" female vocals?

Both projects are more black/doomy sounding, but Tunes of Despair and Furva Ambiguitas reach funeral doom extremes at time.

Monarch could also be applicable here as well, if you prefer your funeral doom to sound particularly loud and extreme.

I'd heard of Furva Ambiguistas, but thanks for Tunes of Despair. I didn't care much for Monarch--too abrasive, I guess ...

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:14 pm 

Anyone here ever heard Morgoth's 2007 demo Cosmic Visions Enable New Horizons? It's here on the Archives but the internets reveal very little more about it. One Hungarian review, no purchase outlets or YouTube links...nothing, really. I guess he changed the project name to Monad after this demo, though that entity doesn't seem to have borne fruit yet.

IanEr13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:11 pm 

Hi, I just recently discovered Paramaecium and was looking for death/doom in a similar style to their album Exhumed of the Earth.

I really liked the drums on this album, very impactful and varied, as well as the first track which breaks in the middle for oboe solo and begins with opera style vocals.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:38 pm 

IanEr13 wrote:
Hi, I just recently discovered Paramaecium and was looking for death/doom in a similar style to their album Exhumed of the Earth.

I really liked the drums on this album, very impactful and varied, as well as the first track which breaks in the middle for oboe solo and begins with opera style vocals.

I recommend Funeral's first two releases, Tristesse and Tragedies.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:57 pm 

Would anyone here know of any bands that have a similar aesthetic to more recent Dolorian releases? In specific, I am looking for a seamless utilization of ritual / ambient passages that, for me at least, allows the atmosphere to become all the more encompassing and meditative.

While not too similar in sounds, Longing for Dawn, with their use of layered dark ambient behind droning guitar melodies and keyboards have some aspects of what I am looking for but are not quite there. Although if anyone knows of artists that do a similar thing in that regard, I'd welcome them as well.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:33 pm 

Can anyone recommend any albums similar to Cathedral's The Guessing Game? I adore the progressive touches and the overall happy and welcoming sound to the generally quicker-than-usual-doom-paced music.

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:12 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some slow paced doom/death like Goatlord?

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:12 am 

So I've been into some excellent funeral doom bands, Ahab, Shape of Despair, Colosseum, Evoken, Mournful Congregation...
Are there any which incorporates female vocals?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm 

I would like to know if there's anything like Murkrat's sophomore. The clean and eerie female vocals really fit in with the funeral doom(esque) music.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
So I've been into some excellent funeral doom bands, Ahab, Shape of Despair, Colosseum, Evoken, Mournful Congregation...

Dystopia4 answered your call. ;)

dystopia4 wrote:
I would like to know if there's anything like Murkrat's sophomore. The clean and eerie female vocals really fit in with the funeral doom(esque) music.

A bit of a long shot, but maybe this? Pretty bizarre stuff.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:00 am 

Maybe listen to Skumring? It's listed as melodic doom metal or something on the site. It has a lot of folk influence but it sounds pretty funeral-doomy to me and has only female vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__trX3mxmbQ

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:55 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:

dystopia4 wrote:

I will never stop recommending this album to people. Remembrance also has female vocals, but they're not quite as predominate as Funeral.

iamntbatman wrote:
Maybe listen to Skumring? It's listed as melodic doom metal or something on the site. It has a lot of folk influence but it sounds pretty funeral-doomy to me and has only female vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__trX3mxmbQ

Ditto on Omit. It's practically the same as Skumring. Slow funeral doom riffs with the same female vocalist. Only real difference is that Skumring has folk influences while Omit sounds more symphonic.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:29 am 

Pyogenesis are this band that went from death metal on their demo's to doom/death on the EP and eventually completely left their metal roots, eventually ended up as a pop/punk band right? :lol: I feel like I need to hear some material by these guys.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:57 am 

Omit have more of a gothic/symphonic feel going on, and for whatever reason it just didn't stick with my anywhere near as much as the Skumring album, so I tend to forget about it. But yes, they definitely also fit the bill.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:10 pm 

androdion wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:

A bit of a long shot, but maybe this? Pretty bizarre stuff.

Wow man, that was a real trip. Never heard anything close to this, almost feels like extreme doom's answer to trip hop. I'll be sure to check out more of these guys.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:09 am 

Yeah, those guys are pretty far out. Glad to be of service kind sir. ;)

darkened abyss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:55 pm 

any bands that sounds like shape of despair?.

DunkelFrau
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:19 am 

darkened abyss wrote:

I think it depends on what you are looking for, i´d say you should go for Ahab, some October Tide or even Agalloch; I find Shape going somewhere between the forementioned bands. Perhaps you may try even some Woods of Ypres?

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:46 am 

dystopia4 wrote:

Check out last 2 albums by Finland's Unholy

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:49 am 

Maulgraun wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some slow paced doom/death like Goatlord?

Last few Faustcoven albums. Also Winter, early Cyanide, Decomposed, Ceremonium. Check these out, if you like stuff I mentioned I got a ton more to recommend.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:55 am 

IanEr13 wrote:

Refer to my above post

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:56 am 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Can anyone recommend any albums similar to Cathedral's The Guessing Game? I adore the progressive touches and the overall happy and welcoming sound to the generally quicker-than-usual-doom-paced music.

Take this to the doom metal thread. And to answer your question Ogre does play some nice prog rock / doom

darkened abyss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:12 pm 

DunkelFrau wrote:
darkened abyss wrote:

I think it depends on what you are looking for, i´d say you should go for Ahab, some October Tide or even Agalloch; I find Shape going somewhere between the forementioned bands. Perhaps you may try even some Woods of Ypres?

thanks.

Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:06 pm 

Don't know if anyone asked this, although it might be safe to assume they did... Anyway, I would like to hear something similar to Katatonia's debut. A really unique album, as most people know. So, I got November's Doom as a recommendation, what about you guys?

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:46 pm 

Early Anathema would be the closest thing. Dance of December Souls is truly an untouchable album. Too bad they turned into a shitty emo rock band

Goldblaze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:50 pm 

Tried early Anathema, doesn't do it for me. Restless Oblivion is, however, a great song, even though it's not even close to the album at hand.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:14 pm 

I haven't listened to any myself (still working through the early catalog) but people say the later Wyrd material is basically early Katatonia worship.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:01 am 

It's just too bad there aren't really any of those Dance of December Souls influenced doom/death metal bands while there's plenty that took Katatonia's Brave Murder Day sound as a main inspiration which is unfortunate because that album sucks. :p

Note to myself: check doom/death metal bands from your own country one day. :lol:

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:05 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Note to myself: check doom/death metal bands from your own country one day. :lol:

Asphyx, Acrostichon, Castle, Creepmime, Delirium, Dissect, Etherial Winds... Dude there is a fuck ton of awesome death doom in your country

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:31 pm 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Asphyx, Acrostichon, Castle, Creepmime, Delirium, Dissect, Etherial Winds... Dude there is a fuck ton of awesome death doom in your country

Wait, what?! :???:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 28  Next