Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Neta00
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:50 am
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:08 am 
 

Is there any band who have similar music like Akira Yamaoka?

Something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZHzbaV98go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDKx1Rp1yAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LB7LZZGpkw

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 1049
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm 
 

Axis of Perdition are very influenced by Silent Hill in both sound and imagery, you can check out Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital :)

Top
 Profile  
Neta00
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:50 am
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:24 pm 
 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Axis of Perdition are very influenced by Silent Hill in both sound and imagery, you can check out Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital :)

Thanks :D

Top
 Profile  
Rosner
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 7:12 pm
Posts: 147
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:40 pm 
 

For the industrial side of Yamaoka's work, Axis of Perdition is what you are looking for, as Morn Of Solace suggested.

As for the more laid-back, melodic and ambient/trip-hop influenced side of Yamaoka's music, it's harder to recommend something that comes closer to his particular style, I'm not just talking about metal but about every genre of music. There are some metal albums that have a certain 'Silent Hill vibe' to the music, but they are not really similar or even close to Akira's masterpieces. I can for example think of Last Fair Deal Gone Wrong-era Katatonia. Anders is a very big fan of the Silent Hill series and the album has an atmosphere pretty close to the first games in the series. The ethereal and dream-like feeling of being alone, depressed and at the same time disturbed or full of angst.

Youtube: show


Really, Akira's music is something unique, good look with your quest!

Top
 Profile  
Neta00
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:50 am
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:19 pm 
 

Rosner wrote:
For the industrial side of Yamaoka's work, Axis of Perdition is what you are looking for, as Morn Of Solace suggested.

As for the more laid-back, melodic and ambient/trip-hop influenced side of Yamaoka's music, it's harder to recommend something that comes closer to his particular style, I'm not just talking about metal but about every genre of music. There are some metal albums that have a certain 'Silent Hill vibe' to the music, but they are not really similar or even close to Akira's masterpieces. I can for example think of Last Fair Deal Gone Wrong-era Katatonia. Anders is a very big fan of the Silent Hill series and the album has an atmosphere pretty close to the first games in the series. The ethereal and dream-like feeling of being alone, depressed and at the same time disturbed or full of angst.

Youtube: show


Really, Akira's music is something unique, good look with your quest!

I like it :D
Even a cover looks like place where you start in Silent Hill 2

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3644
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:03 pm 
 

Give the latest Emptiness album Not for Music a try. It has that certain Silent Hill vibe Rosner mentioned. Including the art work and lyrical themes. Example:

Nothing is solid, nothing is straight
The creature uncouples itself to move
Crawls on the air, scratching the light
Spiraling down like the stairs in your house
Blind, stinky, and cracking bones as a call

Youtube: show
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
trieffiewiles
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:07 pm
Posts: 14
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:50 pm 
 

As for the purely distorted end of Akira Yamaoka's music, I would also add a number of the so-called suicidal black metal bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpmff0z2H44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1GwKTPCN2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R81UYudkcow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2V1LijuyA
(I can't find any useful info on this band unfortunately)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxQs0KQTIgs

As for the trippy end of his music, well, as said before that's where it gets a bit more open to interpretation. These are a few examples of metal out there whose overall atmosphere definitely really reminds me of Silent Hill's more ambiguous aspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4sPW8kDfqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVTw827nPpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIASMitqbkg

Top
 Profile  
Neta00
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:50 am
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:22 pm 
 

trieffiewiles wrote:
As for the purely distorted end of Akira Yamaoka's music, I would also add a number of the so-called suicidal black metal bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpmff0z2H44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1GwKTPCN2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R81UYudkcow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2V1LijuyA
(I can't find any useful info on this band unfortunately)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxQs0KQTIgs

As for the trippy end of his music, well, as said before that's where it gets a bit more open to interpretation. These are a few examples of metal out there whose overall atmosphere definitely really reminds me of Silent Hill's more ambiguous aspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4sPW8kDfqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVTw827nPpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIASMitqbkg


Thanks,that is what i looked for :D

Top
 Profile  
trieffiewiles
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:07 pm
Posts: 14
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:12 pm 
 

Well its good to hear that. Silent Hill i.e. the first four entries are of especial interest to me as well. I am not sure which of the lists of examples you appreciated more, the suicidal or experimental, but this next one is both. I'd simply forgotten to put it on the previous list, which was long enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ZAFNMh3YU

I personally find much of Silent Hill's music rather trance-inducing, so that made me think of this other thread.

https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 1&t=112514

Lastly, this next fellow writes incredibly interesting video game critiques, going over hidden themes, influences and symbolism. Silent Hill pops up again and again in his list of videos. I would think most fans of which would find his work at least somewhat interesting. Here is an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoGCujQ_7sQ

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group