Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheUnhinged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 am 

Okay, so I'm a VERY big fan of 90's gothic/doom metal. Bands like Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Theatre of Tragedy, Paradise Lost, The Sins of Thy Beloved, etc are my favorites.

I'm trying to find something very specific, that doesn't necessarily confine itself to gothic or doom metal, but moreso in sound production and execution.

I want to hear very raw, dark, obscure stuff with a Medieval, castle-like atmosphere. I want bands that are extremely obscure, because anything that is even somewhat common I've most likely heard at some point or another. I want the kind of sound production that is heard in these particular tracks, and I want to hear female vocals (with harsh male vocals or without is fine). It doesn't have to be limited to gothic, doom, or black metal, but a band somewhere within those realms will probably be the best. I don't want it to be driven by symphonic metal elements, but tasteful usage of organs, violin, harpsichord, or pianos are greatly welcome. Here are the songs that sum up what I'm looking for.

Youtube: show

Morphine1873
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:18 am 

I don't think of many right now, but did you try Opera IX?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A46DBfWdbK4

TheUnhinged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:43 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
I don't think of many right now, but did you try Opera IX?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A46DBfWdbK4

Yes, I love Opera IX! The first three albums and demo material are pretty damn cool. While they aren't the first band that would come to mind, they are a good rec for what I'm looking for.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:50 am 

Dismal Euphony's first album Soria Moria Slott seems to fit well in your description: Raw, female Vocals, gothic castle atmosphere.. it's not my style, but i find it pretty good, despite its eye-gouging artwork :)
The second album is also good, but later they switched to a more modern gothic metal sound, so i wouldn't bother with them.

i'll link a song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTF3gZe-7wk

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 am 

Amazigh from Tunisia fit your description, particularly for raw and obscure. I wouldn't say they really sound "medieval" but I know they're greatly influenced by many of the bands you mentioned. I have to say the music isn't really that good though. I'm surprised there's a song on youtube since the band only released a demo in 2007 and basically stopped after that.

If you like it though, I can look for the CD (if I still have it, so not 100% sure) and upload the demo for you. I'm quite sure it's impossible to find a copy nowadays, especially outside of Tunisia.

TheUnhinged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:02 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Dismal Euphony's first album Soria Moria Slott seems to fit well in your description: Raw, female Vocals, gothic castle atmosphere.. it's not my style, but i find it pretty good, despite its eye-gouging artwork :)
The second album is also good, but later they switched to a more modern gothic metal sound, so i wouldn't bother with them.

i'll link a song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTF3gZe-7wk

VERY good example. I had listened to their 'All Little Devils' album and thought they were alright, though I had never given their black metal material a proper listen. This is exactly what I had in mind, thank you!

Belial wrote:
Amazigh from Tunisia fit your description, particularly for raw and obscure.

It's not bad, though I was hoping more for a bit more of a castle-like atmosphere. The female vocalist has a really pleasant voice. I appreciate you digging that up for me!

Here are a few more examples of some even lesser known songs that pull off what I have in mind.

Atargatis, as a whole, are not at all what I'm trying to go for (or even a band I enjoy). This song from their earliest demo, however, is fucking sweet. The female vocalist sounds kind of shitty, but the rest of the music is great. Notice that doom/deathy sounding riff style and the Medieval sounding keyboards in the background.

Silentium has always been really hard for me to get into, mostly because I could never get into the male vocals and the female vocals were always pretty bland. This song from their demo Caméne misera is a nice piece of gothic/death/doom metal that has a lot more kick to it than their later material.

Crestfallen make much less usage of their female vocalist as the other bands that have been listed, but they are utilized so well alongside violins and a Medieval atmosphere in their melodic sounding form of death/doom metal. The first track of this EP, Secrets of Time, indicates the kind of majestic, epic atmosphere I look to hear with melancholic, ethereal female singing.

MasterOfSin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:05 am 

By the description raw, obuscure, medieval, female reminds me the Canadian band Howling Syn.

Reply to topic