Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
megalowho
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:13 pm 

...a la Chris Brokaw's tribute to Vlad Tepes? :)

Spoiler: show
Youtube: show

Well, I guess this is called "folk," but that's a very broad term, and I don't have the knowledge to narrow it down. This request is mainly inspired by the Vlad Tepes cover, but see some additional favorites below.

If instrumentals aren't possible, I can still quite enjoy certain voices, like Michael Gira (A, B), Dax Riggs (C, D), Brendan Perry (E, F), Mark Lanegan (G, H), the Neurosis guys (I, J), etc. But I usually have a hard time connecting with female vocals, as well as "indie" vocals, as in stuff like, oh...Neutral Milk Hotel. (I sort of gave up on indie stuff a long time ago.)

I've also tried to branch off from Ulver's Kveldssanger, but unsuccessfully. It's been a while, so maybe another attempt would be in order. Again, I seem to remember having difficulty with the vocals; I vaguely remember some Scandinavian folk stuff with voices that sounded a little too "traditional" for my taste, even somewhat overwrought. (Strange admittedly that I'd take a liking to Ulver.)

Hopefully this isn't too random. In general, think of dark, somber, acoustic guitar-driven stuff that might appeal to a fan of dark, somber metal of various kinds. If it has to have vocals, then I guess what my examples show is a preference for the melancholic, idiosyncratic, maybe kind of burnt-out and gravelly... (I'm struggling with the adjectives.)

Thanks!

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 am 

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, I jumped through the track you posted and only know a few of the vocalists you mentioned but here goes:

David Thomas Broughton

Ambiguity

Crippling Lack, Part 1
https://songbytoadrecords.bandcamp.com/track/crippling-lack-pt-1

Bert Jansch, more traditional-sounding, but with quite a few instrumental tracks. My favorite is the self-titled album

Smokey River (instrumental)

I Have No Time
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

megalowho
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:59 pm 

Thanks for that! I like the Bert Jansch more...makes sense, since his Wikipedia page notes connections to Jimmy Page and Simon & Garfunkel. That's definitely an era I haven't explored enough.

The arcane tactician
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:18 am 

In addition to Bert Jansch you might want to check out his fellow Pentangle bandmate John Renbourne, who does a lot of Renaissance and medieval folk type pieces, a lot of them instrumental and a lot of them dark and haunting like you want. All of his albums are worth having. And there are many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_FnuFHj2WQ

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:26 am 

Might be worth checking out Hexvessel. They're an Anglo-Finnish band that are pretty damn unique, at least to my mind.

I'd ignore their latest album as it's mostly electric but maybe check out the following songs from their earlier albums:

Dont Break The Curse
I Am The Ritual
Letters In Birch Bark
Sacred Marriage
Woods To Conjure
Dues To the Dolmen

Very dark sounding at times but they certainly share some vibes with the softer/darker side of Swans and the acoustic Neurosis stuff. I always thought of them as the musical exploration of those more evocative songs from the original Wicker Man (1971) soundtrack. Stuff like Willows Song and Gently Johnny.

Reply to topic