* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:56 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Swordwielder just released an EP and it's still dramatic Stenchcore like so few play.

https://wieldthesword.bandcamp.com/albu ... l-massacre

I like this. I like it a lot. I've always thought the term stenchcore was a bit shit tho.

The term stenchcore is definitely very silly as it’s actually a joke term the same way grindcore was originally meant at a joke mocking the trend of putting core at the end of words to make a new subgenre. But I feel like stenchcore does a better job at describing this super specific type of sound than crust because people call both Axegrinder and Doom crust when they sound nothing alike.

untappd: patrick_g

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:10 am 

j_bentley12885 wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:
any recommendations for bands playing like Capitalist Casualties?

Hellnation and (early) Brody's Militia come to mind. I also remember a band called Widespread Bloodshed being in the same vein.
Hellnation is a monolith. A monolith I like A LOT, but I'm looking for something much more dynamic than that. CxCx was dynamic as hell. I never cared for Brody's Militia, but I gave up pretty early. I forgot about Widespread. I'll look into that. Thanks.

*came back to say Widespread Bloodshed was an excellent recommendation. thanks again!

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:34 pm 

^^^ happy to help! Cheers!

At the moment The Business - Suburban Rebels
I love a little Oi! now and then.

Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:43 pm 

I'm new to hardcore punk scene.I Just listened to Ramones,GBH,Dead Kennedys and a groovy hardcore band:Pro-Pain.You guys have tips about which artists are the most important to punk scene,excepting Ramones,Sex Pistols and The Clash?And you know hardcore punk bands with groove veins like Pro-Pain?

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:36 am 

Spiderlix wrote:
I'm new to hardcore punk scene.I Just listened to Ramones,GBH,Dead Kennedys and a groovy hardcore band:Pro-Pain.You guys have tips about which artists are the most important to punk scene,excepting Ramones,Sex Pistols and The Clash?And you know hardcore punk bands with groove veins like Pro-Pain?

If you're just looking to get into hardcore punk and you already like GBH and Dead Kennedys, you might as well check the other OG's like Black Flag, Bad Brains, The Exploited, Discharge, Circle Jerks, Minor Threat, Subhumans and the like.

Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:49 pm 

Guys,Metalcore and their subgenres i ask here or at another one?

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:39 pm 

Spiderlix wrote:

You guys have probably the best hardcore band of all South America, Ratos de Porão. I am pretty sure that you have heard of them, but if not give them a try.

Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:27 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Spiderlix wrote:

You guys have probably the best hardcore band of all South America, Ratos de Porão. I am pretty sure that you have heard of them, but if not give them a try.

Yes,i heard of them.Anyway,thanks.I am looking some crust punk (something similiar to Hellbastard and Bathory debut)and early Metalcore from 90s.I am listening to Hatebreed,Earth Crisis,Throwdown,Ringworm,All Out War and this.But i am looking some Mathcore too.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:31 pm 

Spinning the 4 Skins lately. Fun stuff. Cheers!

duwan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:41 pm 

Spiderlix wrote:

1.Galinha Preta
(a bit kind of garage/rehearsal band, but rocks)
    2. Cro-Mags
(a metal-based kind of punk)
    3. Discharge
(a punk pushed to speed metal and Motörhead)
    4. Electro Hippies
(this one is a stepstone if you seek for EXTREEEEMEEEEE sound...

Check my mediocre ahh reviews

josantyago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:01 pm 

Don't know if Grindcore is allowed, but here goes:

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:13 am 

Two hardcore bands coming out of Toronto, ON, Canada.

https://xstreetjusticex.bandcamp.com/album/vegan-future

https://burntknives.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -beautiful

josantyago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:51 pm 

New Night Fever album

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:57 pm 

Long wait but its a fun album

josantyago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:43 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Long wait but its a fun album

Very powerful. 30 minutes of good fun to enjoy listening

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:35 pm 

Guys, do you know bands that sound similar to Cold as Life? I mean that they play borderline death metal but with a hardcore structure, I know they play beatdown hardcore, but I struggle to find similar stuff to Cold as Life.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:26 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Guys, do you know bands that sound similar to Cold as Life? I mean that they play borderline death metal but with a hardcore structure, I know they play beatdown hardcore, but I struggle to find similar stuff to Cold as Life.

I wouldn't necessarily see Cold As Life as 'beatdown hardcore' (since I can't hear many beatdowns), and they have nothing to do with death metal. They do have that extremely tough sound though, beginning as a punk band before moving in a chunkier/heavier direction on "Born To Land Hard" (which is their best known stuff).

That record is unique so I can't think of much that sounds like it. You might want to check out another Detroit band, Earthmover, who had a very heavy/loose sound on "Death Carved In Every Word" (I like this record). Maybe check out "Spit My Last Breath" by Blood for Blood (more on the streetpunk side), or Denied "Together as None" (more on the beatdown side), or Disrespect "Eternal Mayhem" (more on the metalcore side). All those records are quite good despite having different flavours, and despite not sounding explicitly like BtLH.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:02 pm 

robotniq wrote:
SanPeron wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily see Cold As Life as 'beatdown hardcore' (since I can't hear many beatdowns), and they have nothing to do with death metal. They do have that extremely tough sound though, beginning as a punk band before moving in a chunkier/heavier direction on "Born To Land Hard" (which is their best known stuff).

That record is unique so I can't think of much that sounds like it. You might want to check out another Detroit band, Earthmover, who had a very heavy/loose sound on "Death Carved In Every Word" (I like this record). Maybe check out "Spit My Last Breath" by Blood for Blood (more on the streetpunk side), or Denied "Together as None" (more on the beatdown side), or Disrespect "Eternal Mayhem" (more on the metalcore side). All those records are quite good despite having different flavours, and despite not sounding explicitly like BtLH.

Thanks robo, but why do you say they don't play beatdown and death metal, what genre do you think they fall into? I will check the bands that you mentioned to me, but I am curious as to why you think they are so far from those genres. They sounded really similar to stuff like Kruelty or Xibalba to me, but clearly more on the old-school side.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:52 pm 

It comes from a different time/place to those bands. I've heard snippets of Kruelty and Xibabla and I can see what you mean in terms of similarities. Those bands must have taken influence from "Born to Land Hard". Cold As Life was a different era though, 20 years earlier at least. I can't hear any death metal in Cold As Life. I can hear stuff like Cro-Mags and Negative Approach. They do have that 'thuggish' sound that a lot of the beatdown bands have, but their songs are way punkier and they have that bleak/negative sound to them (which I really like). They don't have many (if any) beatdown riffs either. I can understand why people would call them a beatdown band, but I'd just call it heavy hardcore, not sure it needs a classification beyond that.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:14 pm 

robotniq wrote:
It comes from a different time/place to those bands. I've heard snippets of Kruelty and Xibabla and I can see what you mean in terms of similarities. Those bands must have taken influence from "Born to Land Hard". Cold As Life was a different era though, 20 years earlier at least. I can't hear any death metal in Cold As Life. I can hear stuff like Cro-Mags and Negative Approach. They do have that 'thuggish' sound that a lot of the beatdown bands have, but their songs are way punkier and they have that bleak/negative sound to them (which I really like). They don't have many (if any) beatdown riffs either. I can understand why people would call them a beatdown band, but I'd just call it heavy hardcore, not sure it needs a classification beyond that.

Thanks for the response, man, you are the bro of the forum that share the most similar music taste as mine. You are right, I have a problem differentiating beatdown hardcore and heavy hardcore I thought those genres were mostly the same. If you said to me that Cold as Life played the same genre as Earth Crisis or Hatebreed I would say yes, with the addition that they are a little bit heavier than those bands, that's why I threw the death metal tag in there.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:29 am 

Thanks, I have been thinking about this some more and much of this comes down to context. I have seen both Cold as Life and Earth Crisis live, and they attact a different crowd. I would not put them in the same bracket, even with Hatebreed (although I can see why people would). Earth Crisis come from that straightedge route from bands like Judge and Chain of Strength. Cold As Life come from the Negative Approach route, perhaps mixed with NYHC bands like Agnostic Front and definitely Cro Mags.

Subgenre specification is not as important in hardcore as it is in metal, and has as much to do with cultural factors as musical ones. I listened to "Born to Land Hard" again today (prompted by this thread). Yes, it is an absolute beast of a record, thanks for reminding me. One thing I noticed is how different the songs are from one another. This probably comes from the band's traumatic backstory, and I guess some of the punkier songs were written earlier than the more metallic ones. Songs like "Terror Zone" are so heavy and violent, I wondered whether fans of stuff like Demolition Hammer and Power Trip would dig this record.

The reason I wouldn't call it beatdown is because I don't hear a single beatdown riff in the whole album. It certainly has that tough, violent, thuggish, urban vibe in common with many generic beatdown bands. Still, what I like about this record is the abject bleakness and negativity of it. It gives a a similar vibe to stuff like Neglect and Gehenna (neither of which sound like Cold As Life from a musical perspective). Seeing Cold As Life as a 'beatdown' or even as a 'metalcore' band doesn't capture the essence of what makes that record special.

You might also like "Time Won't Heal This" by Knuckledust, that is a good record.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:21 pm 

josantyago wrote:
New Night Fever album

I am loving it.

The new The Chisel is fun too but this is next level.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:12 pm 

cool lil new ep

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39