Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:59 am 

My son, who is generally pretty lukewarm about metal, had this very specific request for me. He is specifically looking for metal with an exclusively female choir - not metal with female lead vocals or with a mixed choir. It has to be metal, so no metal-adjacent darkwave or similar. At the same time he doesn't like growls or shrieks. I know this narrows the options down very drastically, but I'd still like to help him out since he's already showing more interest than usual.

He found this track, which he says is stylistically close to what he's looking for:

He also used the term "Angelic Metal" to describe what he's after, though I guess that most would associate "Beauty and the Beast"-style Gothic Metal with that term, which is not what he wants unless there's also the female choir.

I've already tried Therion and Hollenthon (nice, but too growly and mixed choir). I thought about Virgin Black but couldn't find a particular track that fits the bill. Epica he's already heard, and he liked it, but it's not quite what he's after. Nor did a search for "female choir" on this forum bring up anything substantial.

I don't have particularly high hopes for this request, but at this point I'd be happy about even a single track that checks all the boxes.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:11 pm 

The closest song that comes to my mind is De Glemte Tider by Skumring. But it's not a full-blown choir, just two layers of female vocals. Same for Omit's songs Fatigue or Insolence which feature the same vocalist. I would definitely describe both these bands as "angelic metal" though.

I think it's going to be tough for you to find the music that fits all your checkboxes. Even that Nier song has male vocals in the background. All the examples I can think of either contain growls, mixed choirs or are not metal.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:12 am 

Yeah, that's what I thought. Those three tracks you mentioned actually sound awesome to me. As for my son, I'm pretty certain he's looking for something more upbeat. As I mentioned his ears are not exactly trained to metal, much less doomy underground stuff like this. He's shown glimmers of interest before, but the stuff I showed him never seemed to land quite right with him. It's a bit of a pity really, as this "Angelic Metal" idea of his actually sounds pretty cool to me, if someone could pull it off.

Thanks anyway, I appreciate the effort!

Reply to topic