Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:47 pm 

I'm not sure exactly how black Manegarm are, but what's the best Manegarm album? I'm looking for great viking/folk along the lines of Thyrfing, Moonsorrow etc. I recall Manegarm being more catchy and upbeat, is that true or am I remembering wrong? I don't want any happy dancy accordion folk metal.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:04 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I'm not sure exactly how black Manegarm are, but what's the best Manegarm album? I'm looking for great viking/folk along the lines of Thyrfing, Moonsorrow etc. I recall Manegarm being more catchy and upbeat, is that true or am I remembering wrong? I don't want any happy dancy accordion folk metal.

My two favorite albums are Vredens Tid: http://youtu.be/GVNmnp0aXZ8

and Dödsfärd: http://youtu.be/UkrK_9daD7Y

But you really can't go wrong with any of 'em.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:44 pm 

Currently listening to Graveland's Thousand Swords. Urgh, the vocals and production sure suck. :ugh:

IanEr13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:01 pm 

Hi, I'm looking for some raw black metal recommendations. I find that I really only listen to dsbm or usbm, so I'm looking for stuff that is fast tempo, and also bands from outside the US. I know a lot the obvious ones as well, so some obscure bands would be great.

Thanks in advance.

celt14
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:18 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Currently listening to Graveland's Thousand Swords. Urgh, the vocals and production sure suck. :ugh:

Umm, what were you expecting, Dimmu Borgir? Thousand Swords is one of the best bm albums of all time. Keep giving it a chance, it works much better raw, trust me.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:45 pm 

IanEr13 wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for some raw black metal recommendations. I find that I really only listen to dsbm or usbm, so I'm looking for stuff that is fast tempo, and also bands from outside the US. I know a lot the obvious ones as well, so some obscure bands would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Fast and foreign? RANDOM BANDS: Katharsis, Uruk-Hai, Armaggedon

You should really think more about the challenge you present when you ask for recs...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:48 pm 

1349 is really fast.

Belphegor?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:51 pm 

Good call, 1349 is pretty fast. Though also well known. He may know it. Then we would have failed. :(

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:00 pm 

I wish he had been kind enough to let us know what bands he already knows. It would've significantly reduced the risk of failure.

Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:14 pm 

celt14 wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Umm, what were you expecting, Dimmu Borgir? Thousand Swords is one of the best bm albums of all time. Keep giving it a chance, it works much better raw, trust me.

Like the earlier Immortal recordings. And to the person who said the vocals and production sucks, would you rather listen to the Ski tracks from Dawn of the Black Hearts? Those are the worse produced tracks I've ever herd.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:25 pm 

any Swedish bands similar to Mork Gryning

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:21 pm 

I get a MG feel from 'Legions of War' who are also doing a melodic, yet intense form of BM much like MG did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF8jQ1Hx5jg

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:30 pm 

nice

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:02 pm 

I'm not helping lame recs anymore. >:(

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:51 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some "Red and Anarchist BM" bands? I've heard of it before but I don't know any bands.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:28 pm 

Poe Ohlin wrote:
celt14 wrote:

I haven't really listened a lot to it yet, so I might judge too quickly. Still, the production turned me off right away; I can dig some rawer production. (Ulver's third album, early Behemoth and even some earlier Graveland releases which I've heard) but I found the raw production to be totally unneccesary here. Also, the singer sounds like a fucking frog here. I wish I was kidding.

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:52 pm 

mcmufffins wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some "Red and Anarchist BM" bands? I've heard of it before but I don't know any bands.

The "biggest" would probably be Iskra, Skagos, and Panopticon. Wheels Within Wheels, Falls Of Rauros, A Cloud Forest, Leech, Lake Of Blood, Suicide Nation, Welkin Dusk, Peregrine, Ives, Political Terror, Ravensdom are some others.

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:48 pm 

I have no clue of the band's political stance, but if you do like that style musically, I wholeheartedly recommend Ash Borer. They are far more talented than bands like Skagos or Panopticon.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:56 pm 

CrustAsFuckExistence wrote:
The "biggest" would probably be Iskra, Skagos, and Panopticon. Wheels Within Wheels, Falls Of Rauros, A Cloud Forest, Leech, Lake Of Blood, Suicide Nation, Welkin Dusk, Peregrine, Ives, Political Terror, Ravensdom are some others.

Iskra fucking slays, thanks man! I'll check the others out too.

Ilwhyan wrote:
I have no clue of the band's political stance, but if you do like that style musically, I wholeheartedly recommend Ash Borer. They are far more talented than bands like Skagos or Panopticon.

Already listen to Ash Borer, but thanks anyway!

AlcoholicMayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:35 pm 

For all the 1st wave of Black Metal worshippers GenozideRichards Quintessenz from Germany is what you have to check!! Pure Hellhammer worship!! Also check Omega from Greece, total maniacs!
Hell Darkness from Israel is for the Darkthrone worshippers! Last but not least, all of you who are interested in Hellhammer you have to check also Dungeönhammer!!

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:10 pm 

Can someone recommend me hellenic black metal without the "heavy metal" element? Stuff like Nocternity and Eschaton (very raw, melodic and still somewhat atmospheric because of the guitar tone), and absolutely unlike Varathon, Rotting Christ and their forays into heavy metal territory.

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:20 pm 

I just stumbled upon the band Skaur from Norway:

http://youtu.be/ClZNCovqZzw

Pretty good stuff. Would probably appeal to fans of Ulver, Taake, Windir and the like.

Anyone else heard of them?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:35 pm 

Baptism - Grim Arts of Melancholy is an amazing album. Do yourself a favour and listen to this magnificent piece of art.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:02 pm 

FredGarvin wrote:

Pretty good stuff. Would probably appeal to fans of Ulver, Taake, Windir and the like.

Excellent find. This kind of BM is great. Thanks for posting this.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:13 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
FredGarvin wrote:

Excellent find. This kind of BM is great. Thanks for posting this.

Yes, nice find FG, I will also check these guys further as I have never heard of them, thank you!

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:01 am 

STORMM wrote:
Yes, nice find FG, I will also check these guys further as I have never heard of them, thank you!

No problem!

I found this band and a few other interesting bands on this guy's site:

http://www.norsksvartmetall.com/top1.htm

Look under the "Reviews" section.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:23 pm 

FredGarvin wrote:

No problem!

I found this band and a few other interesting bands on this guy's site:

http://www.norsksvartmetall.com/top1.htm

Look under the "Reviews" section.

I have visited that site a few times in the past but never checked out the reviews, will read more. Anyway, of late I have been going back to some of the older and forgotten releases in my collection and have rediscovered some gems. Lately I have been spinning Mephistopheles "songs of the desolate one", check them out guys, this is an awesome release full of great melodies and nice keyboard work, sadly they are no more but left four good albums behind.

Enjoy -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVU2t3hRB9U

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:20 am 

Need recommendation for bands similar to Wolves in the Throne Room, Alda, Agalloch and maybe even the new Abigail Williams album which I am addicted to of late

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:18 am 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Need recommendation for bands similar to Wolves in the Throne Room, Alda, Agalloch and maybe even the new Abigail Williams album which I am addicted to of late

For Agalloch, Gallowbraid are a must , they/he only have a 4 track mcd at the minute but it is a great listen. I also recommend you try Winterfylleth "The Mercian Sphere", more based in teh realms of anglo-saxon black metal but their are similarities to what you are looking for. As fro Abigail Williams they are a band I have never listened to for whatever reason, is this releazse any good?

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:50 am 

Milo wrote:
Can someone recommend me hellenic black metal without the "heavy metal" element? Stuff like Nocternity and Eschaton (very raw, melodic and still somewhat atmospheric because of the guitar tone), and absolutely unlike Varathon, Rotting Christ and their forays into heavy metal territory.

How about Legion of Doom?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YpggP-nTgw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h6KpxCYypg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4LM2U2Bz8Y

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:53 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:

I can't get enough of recommending Ash Borer to fans of WitTR. You might enjoy Altar Of Plagues aswell, especially the album White Tomb. Both of these bands are vastly superior to WitTR, they're actually not boring.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:17 pm 

I am looking for overwhelming music in the vein of the riffing of Svartsyn's Timeless reign. Especially the rising and falling riffs, production values do not really matter that much.

Inconjunct
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 pm 

Okay, first of all wanted to thank you all for this amazing thread. I've been listening to so much fucking great music over the last couple of days. I am looking for a couple of different kinds of shit
-Intricately thrashy BM like Absu
-black metal with hypnotically repetitive riffs like arckanum or the song "existensens jeger" by ildjarn
-stuff with the heavy but atmospheric sound of ash borer and lake of blood
- stuff with awesome lead guitar like dammerfarben and obsequiae

OR

just any bizarre and cool black metal that hasn't already been recommended a million times! lol

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:12 pm 

Inconjunct wrote:

just any bizarre and cool black metal that hasn't already been recommended a million times! lol

Njiqahdda, Njiqahdda, and Njiqahdda!!!

Looking for something particular... Can anyone recommend me covers of Fields of the Nephilim songs? Or just any metal band with the same sort of feel as them?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:55 pm 

Keep it up like that and they'll be recommended a million times.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:35 am 

does anyone know of any black/death metal in the vein of Panzerchrist or God Dethroned. .

BastardHead wrote:

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:58 pm 

Can anyone recommend me good black metal with good production? I like raw black metal but I'm just not in the mood for it.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:40 pm 

NuclearCreation91 wrote:
Can anyone recommend me good black metal with good production? I like raw black metal but I'm just not in the mood for it.

Taake has good production, while maintaining the black metal feeling. Check out their latest album. You should also check out Nabaath and Nazxul.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:14 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Taake has good production, while maintaining the black metal feeling. Check out their latest album. You should also check out Nabaath and Nazxul.

I know of Taake, I own their latest album. I will check out Nabaath and Nazxul. Thanks!

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:15 pm 

NuclearCreation91 wrote:

YGG's debut and Khors' latest have relatively good production if you're interested. Second Nabaath and Nazxul as well, two solid BM bands right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R0M5hRynpA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxHwgX4bpQk
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 231  Next