Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:28 pm 

dragonclaw7 wrote:
Black Metal with Thrash and Punk elements but with good production/beefy guitar sound as compared to some of the thin guitar sound I've heard with Black/Punk bands. Even the vocals are just right, no shrieking. I'm aware of Kvelertak, Destroyer 666, Terrorama, Perversor which are all close to what I want. Anything else good? Thanks

They don't have a great deal of punk in their sound, but seeing as you mentioned Destroyer 666, I'll recommend Desaster - top notch Teutonic black thrash with a similar menacing swagger to D666. The production is definitely rougher, but albums like AngelWhore (which I'm listening to just now) have a really colossal, roaring tone. A lot of their stuff is just ferocious.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:32 pm 

Someone knows atmospheric/melodic black metal bands (again, with long songs, pasting 8 min mark) that are upbeat rather than depressive?
I guess a good example of what I want would be Spite Extreme Wing's middle stuff.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:22 am 

Tried out Setherial (Swe) and their album Nord? Fits pretty well into that description.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:41 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
Someone knows atmospheric/melodic black metal bands (again, with long songs, pasting 8 min mark) that are upbeat rather than depressive?
I guess a good example of what I want would be Spite Extreme Wing's middle stuff.

Maybe Harda Skit's new EP? Definitely around the 7 minute mark it gets kinda up-beat almost post-black sounding, this newest EP has a bit of everything mixed in; atmosphere, dark, and a good amount of some pretty savage Finnish riffing too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0njHnFcl49w

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:34 pm 

I've been really enjoying that EP lately. I was turned off of the band for a while due to their name and lyrical theme listed here but the music's got basically nothing to do with that, hah. Really good stuff.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:24 pm 

ancientorder wrote:
Tried out Setherial (Swe) and their album Nord? Fits pretty well into that description.

I think Setherial is more like straightforward bm like Marduk or so.. At least I didn't hear much "atmospheric" on it.
OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
Maybe Harda Skit's new EP? Definitely around the 7 minute mark it gets kinda up-beat almost post-black sounding, this newest EP has a bit of everything mixed in; atmosphere, dark, and a good amount of some pretty savage Finnish riffing too.

Well, this is more to the atmospheric side, but I found that song more to the depressive side, not in veins of DSBM, of course, but downy nonetheless, except maybe for the fast part at about the 3 min, but that one also isn't exactly atmospheric as well. =P

Thanks guys, any more recs?

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:51 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I've been really enjoying that EP lately. I was turned off of the band for a while due to their name and lyrical theme listed here but the music's got basically nothing to do with that, hah. Really good stuff.

Suomi is one language I'll never be able to learn, so as far as what they're singing about, I'm clueless, but I find it hard to believe something as somber as the Ros Rus EP has anything to do with "comedy or black humor". I stumbled across this band a few days ago through a blogspot and I've fell in love with them, there's so much going on in that 22 minute EP.

Vlad_Drakul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:24 am 

Karlabos wrote:

That style is very hard to find, i know because i'm a huge fan of it as well. I recommend that you check out Luctus (lithuania) "Ad Arma". It carries out a similar militant vibe and the last two songs are immense epic, glorious tracks. They have other great songs like "Tikrovės iliuzija" on different releases.

There are other italian bands closely connected to SEW but they aren't of the same caliber imo, Janvs and so forth (look for links on MA)

France's Crystallium might be of some interest to you as well. They do have an epic, fast militant thing going on. But i haven't listened to the that much.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:26 pm 

Yeah I remember searching for BMIA bands before, listened to Frangar, Janvs, and so. And I remember Janvs (apart from Spite Extreme Wing, of course) being the best among them. Still, more progressive than black metal, at least the album i checked.

Luctus sounds very interesting, (omg, that child+harsh vocals duo!!) but I haven't listened to the whole album yet.
And judging by what I heard Crystalium isn't very upbeat as well. But thanks for the military vibe anyway.

Thanks very much.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:22 pm 

Karlabos wrote:

A couple of these aren't exactly Melodic Black Metal, rather they are Black Metal with melody and i do find them upbeat.

Dizziness - Offermort Heritage

Grail - The Morning of Disillusionment

From the vastland - Kamarikan

Edit: oopsie, I didn't see the 8mins mark stuff in your request

Vlad_Drakul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:45 am 

Definitely check out US band Horn Of Valere "Blood of the Heathen Ancients". They might also along those lines. Epic, long songs with some glorious moments. It doesn't move me that much but you might like it.

Hebidoku
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:06 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some heavy black metal with fairly clean production? I would be more specific, but no bands with the exact sound I'm looking for come to mind.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:54 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
A couple of these aren't exactly Melodic Black Metal, rather they are Black Metal with melody and i do find them upbeat.

Well, they are upbeat, but as you said, not really melodic or atmospheric...
Vlad_Drakul wrote:
Definitely check out US band Horn Of Valere "Blood of the Heathen Ancients". They might also along those lines. Epic, long songs with some glorious moments. It doesn't move me that much but you might like it.

Horns of Valerie has some good moments, but I dunno... Still not on the same level as Spite Extreme Wing hehe. But good choice anyway.

Thank you both guys.

astralprison
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:12 pm 

Looking for Oi/D-beat/or even RAC influenced black metal other than Absurd and other obvious answers.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:07 pm 

Hebidoku wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some heavy black metal with fairly clean production? I would be more specific, but no bands with the exact sound I'm looking for come to mind.

By heavy do you mean technical, face-melting, unrelenting and bone-shattering? Or that it needs to have some semblance of actual heavy and traditional metal tropes?

If the former get a load of the last Handful of Hate album To Perdition, epitomizes very nicely what they do: brutal, tr00 black metal with earworm riffs. Their recent discography should definitely please if you enjoy that record. It's like a much more violent and heavily-mixed Marduk. Negator likewise had a new record out last year, a bit more occult in its concept than the HoH one but basically a monstrous and cleanly produced black metal album with some Behemoth influences here and there. Then check out their 2010 record Panzer Metal which is even better and a little more bestial in places. You've also got the recent Enthroned discography which you may be familiar with, though it is less "clean" than the previous two mentioned.

For something different (and in my opinion better, with a bigger and more fulfilling concept) try Order of Orias and Ascension. They don't have the triggered, 21st century feel of HoH and Negator, but are both far from raw, and heavy in their own way.

For black/ heavy metal... eh, Darkthrone? Early Dawnbringer?

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:36 pm 

Hebidoku wrote:

I'm assuming by black heavy you mean like black metal with some trad metal riffage? Bewitched might be up your alley,alotta their songs are kinda hit and miss for me, but when I think of classic metal meets black metal, it's the closest thing I can think of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gC9FahnfvA
For something a bit more blackened, maybe evilnight? The production's not crystal, but for a finnish black metal demo, i've heard far worse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJZ7CyC0GTk

Hebidoku
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:12 am 

sushiman wrote:
By heavy do you mean technical, face-melting, unrelenting and bone-shattering? Or that it needs to have some semblance of actual heavy and traditional metal tropes?

I'm assuming by black heavy you mean like black metal with some trad metal riffage?

While I do like blackened heavy metal, I was talking about more brutal and heavy black metal. Not like heavy walls of oppression, but like more well-defined, razor-sharp riffs.

Edit: Handful of Hate is the shit, awesome rec. I'll listen to the other two a little later.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:30 am 

Goatwhore's Carving Out the Eyes of God, and Impaled Nazarene's All That You Fear. How do you like them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8rVrUDgRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0clU12ooxYU

Very borderline black metal though, perhaps you were looking for something more genuinely black?

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:03 am 

Hebidoku wrote:
sushiman wrote:

I'm assuming by black heavy you mean like black metal with some trad metal riffage?

While I do like blackened heavy metal, I was talking about more brutal and heavy black metal. Not like heavy walls of oppression, but like more well-defined, razor-sharp riffs.

Edit: Handful of Hate is the shit, awesome rec. I'll listen to the other two a little later.

Glad you like it man, Gruesome Splendour is the place to go next, first album I heard by them. Really thunders along that one. In terms of heaviness I thought Ofermod might also appeal if you're not already familiar with them; their burdensome and crushing weight is derived equally from death metal and from orthodox black metal without going totally in the Arkhon Infaustus/ Temple of Baal direction. Riffs that you will never forget, I guarantee it.

Mhorgl's Heresiarch could be another good'un - a bit more melody and some thrash influences but definitely a pummeling sound due largely to killer drummer Rando of Impiety.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:06 am 

Hebidouku wrote:

these might appeal to you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf3AFnsmAo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ch-n5iACuA

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:11 am 

I agree with Onesizefitzpatrick I Recently bought Ros Rus by Hårda Skit, very interesting and original take on Black Metal. Very good I strongly recommend it!! I like the production and the overall sound that the band have. :)

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:44 am 

Kriegsmaschine new album is coming: http://www.kriegsmaschine.pl/05_-_krieg ... havens.mp3

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:35 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Kriegsmaschine new album is coming: http://www.kriegsmaschine.pl/05_-_krieg ... havens.mp3
New Kriegsmaschine will be awesome I'm sure!

One of my favorite bands that nobody ever knows about just released a new album with no warning... I think they prefer to be unknown, but I can't wait to get my copy in the mail. Only song available online so far is

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:28 pm 

Megrimmtroll wrote:
I agree with Onesizefitzpatrick I Recently bought Ros Rus by Hårda Skit, very interesting and original take on Black Metal. Very good I strongly recommend it!! I like the production and the overall sound that the band have. :)

thanks man, I just finished up a little review for that EP, now the long anxious process for it to get approved...
I checked out their first demo to see if it was anywhere near the same greatness that Ros Rus is and it sounds like a totally different band, it looks like they had the same line-up on Helvetes Ild but it's more raw, straightforward black metal. I'm glad I picked a winning rec, let's just hope they stick with that sound long enough to produce a full-length.

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:25 pm 

Megrimmtroll wrote:

thanks man, I just finished up a little review for that EP, now the long anxious process for it to get approved...
I checked out their first demo to see if it was anywhere near the same greatness that Ros Rus is and it sounds like a totally different band, it looks like they had the same line-up on Helvetes Ild but it's more raw, straightforward black metal. I'm glad I picked a winning rec, let's just hope they stick with that sound long enough to produce a full-length.

Me too I would like to hear a full length by the band, as the ep is excellent!! I am really impressed with it. I discovered them here on MA, went to their record labels website. Read the description of Ros Rus and ordered a copy, wouldnt mind hearing the first record too and will check out your review once its approved!! :)

Also have you heard any Cursed upon Prayer also from Finland, been listening to some of their stuff too. Really impressive! :-D

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:41 pm 

Looking for black/grind which sounds like Naked Whipper rather than Anaal Nathrakh (not that I dislike the latter but it's certainly a vastly different style). Not really looking for the pure bestial BM stuff - so nothing more along the lines of Blasphemy, Proclamation, Revenge please. Production would preferably be raw but clear (though this is not essential). My main focus is on the riffing style.

I'd also like to hear some vaguely proggy black metal with a strong focus on songs - think Code circa Resplendent Grotesque (not a fan of the new one). Ideally with albums no longer than 45 minutes and each song well capable of standing on its own, mostly in the 3-6 minute region. The only other album I can think of which really fits this category is Hail Spirit Noir's debut; Oi Magoi doesn't really fit the bill as much. I don't mind a small-to-medium punk influence but I'm not looking for blackened crust, nor am I on the hunt for black/thrash. What I'm not looking for: Solefald, recent Enslaved, atmospheric BM, A Forest of Stars, gimmicky shit (n.b. this list is to be construed neither as exhaustive, nor ejusdem generis).

Thanks in advance.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:27 am 

I need some help here with remembering the name of a band. I remember the cover art being in black and white and it is a photography of a (wheat?) field or something along those lines. I believe the bands name starts with an "L" but I might be mistaken on that. From what I remember its the atmospheric black metal type with more focus on slower tempos rather than a full blast ahead.

Thanks in advance.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:50 pm 

Some pages back someone wanted stuff similar to Walknut and a number of other bands. I'm just listening to this for the first time, but I was immediately reminded of Walknut: Irrwisch's eponymous demo. The production, riffing and atmosphere are as close to Walknut as in anything I've heard, although it's not quite as obscure sounding.

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 pm 

InnesI wrote:
I need some help here with remembering the name of a band. I remember the cover art being in black and white and it is a photography of a (wheat?) field or something along those lines. I believe the bands name starts with an "L" but I might be mistaken on that. From what I remember its the atmospheric black metal type with more focus on slower tempos rather than a full blast ahead.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.metal-archives.com/lists/L Here is a list of all the bands, starting with the letter L Hope you find the band your looking for. :)

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:09 pm 

I doubt the guy's going to want to look through a full list of 2,857 bands when he openly admits he "might be mistaken" on the band name starting with an L.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:07 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
I doubt the guy's going to want to look through a full list of 2,857 bands when he openly admits he "might be mistaken" on the band name starting with an L.

You're quite right about that.

Some more info I remembered: I think the band would be labeled under the DSBM umbrella and I remember the closing track being long and very repetitive. Basically variations of the same riff, or rather chord progression, for over 15 minutes or so.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:22 pm 

Update:

Success! Found the band and the album by browsing through youtube. I was indeed wrong on the name. The band is called Austere and the album is To Lay like Old Ashes. The descrition of the album art was't that far off however:

Ad hominem

chemicalcoma
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:35 am 

alright...im looking for a hate fueled scandinavian black metal band...with riffage like infernus...vocals like nattefrost..and concepts of arrogance like satanic warmaster...or even ayat...i have dived deep into dsbm...dabbled in nsbm....i would really like a raw hatred vocal sound behind a methamphetamine fueled guitar riff....backed by a blast beat...and lit on fire with lyrical concepts of suicide,hatred, arrogance, and a bit of satanism...thank you for your time and energy my friends

chemicalcoma
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:06 am 

and i would also like to see a band with a heavy bass structure, with lyrical concepts attributed to war and genocide...while also being on a melodic path...like a melody produced by emperor...a blast beat produced by marduk...and lyrical concepts produced by bolt thrower...im almost looking for a sound close to enslaved's mardraum....i need something obnoxiously heavy with shrieking vocals....and something honorably deep...something meaningful...heavy...but not quite as violent as my first request....thank you for your help..as i am the self proclaimed elitist in my naval division...and i will be that one that is not afraid to add that extra bit of collective hatred to your work environment...your help will be greatly appreciated

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:25 am 

chemicalcoma wrote:
alright...im looking for a hate fueled scandinavian black metal band...with riffage like infernus...vocals like nattefrost..and concepts of arrogance like satanic warmaster...or even ayat...i have dived deep into dsbm...dabbled in nsbm....i would really like a raw hatred vocal sound behind a methamphetamine fueled guitar riff....backed by a blast beat...and lit on fire with lyrical concepts of suicide,hatred, arrogance, and a bit of satanism...thank you for your time and energy my friends

This I can help you with. Check out Norway's Slavia, and the Strength and Vision album. Some examples:

Not even Human Fucking Beings
Pissdrained Castles Of Gold
The Blasphemic Art

My collection

UnrealReality
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:04 am 

chemicalcoma wrote:
and i would also like to see a band with a heavy bass structure, with lyrical concepts attributed to war and genocide...while also being on a melodic path...like a melody produced by emperor...a blast beat produced by marduk...and lyrical concepts produced by bolt thrower...im almost looking for a sound close to enslaved's mardraum....i need something obnoxiously heavy with shrieking vocals....and something honorably deep...something meaningful...heavy...but not quite as violent as my first request....thank you for your help..as i am the self proclaimed elitist in my naval division...and i will be that one that is not afraid to add that extra bit of collective hatred to your work environment...your help will be greatly appreciated

You might try out Peste Noire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMTLSd2iRA8

If Peste Noire is too soft, try out Ad Hominem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4yuDSGA_gg

If you want more heaviness, try Goatmoon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJX3XGn-2HM

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:04 am 

For hate-fueled nordic black metal with elitist themes, check out Nordvrede and Kaevum.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:50 am 

chemicalcoma wrote:

Kaevum - Natur

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:34 am 

I'm glad you agree ;)

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:12 pm 

Megrimmtroll wrote:
Me too I would like to hear a full length by the band, as the ep is excellent!! I am really impressed with it. I discovered them here on MA, went to their record labels website. Read the description of Ros Rus and ordered a copy, wouldnt mind hearing the first record too and will check out your review once its approved!! :)

Also have you heard any Cursed upon Prayer also from Finland, been listening to some of their stuff too. Really impressive! :-D

Actually, i just listened to From the lands of Demise yesterday. I feel like if the whole album sounded like Eternally Sealed and the Red room I'd be in love with this release too. The first two tracks take some getting used to. You might wanna check out this blogspot called Finnish Black metal terrorism, that's where I've found a lot of really killer stuff lately.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 231  Next