Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:12 pm 

nachtsturm wrote:

As expected sounding great Nachtstrum, have you a release date yet for IV?

nachtsturm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:47 pm 

Will be released in Summer, if its time I will post it here again! It will be available here: http://www.kristallblutrecords.com/

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:23 pm 

nachtsturm wrote:
Will be released in Summer, if its time I will post it here again! It will be available here: http://www.kristallblutrecords.com/

Excellent Nachtsturm, great to see you have a label finally. I got the first three albums from you a few years ago and adore them. The new clips sound great to. You guys working on any new Cryptic Wintermoon material?

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:42 pm 

I'm not really particularly looking for any black metal in particular but just some good black metal recommendations, be it from more established bands or not. I'd like any black metal that isn't lo fi production preferably unless the album is too good to discount. I find black metal to be a little underwhelming when it comes to heaviness (big death metal fan) and the closest I come to black metal is Rotting Christ who I really like. It's really hard to phrase this question without saying I want black metal that's like death metal but if that was the case I'd just listen to death metal :-D just hit me with recommendations.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:50 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
I'm not really particularly looking for any black metal in particular but just some good black metal recommendations, be it from more established bands or not. I'd like any black metal that isn't lo fi production preferably unless the album is too good to discount. I find black metal to be a little underwhelming when it comes to heaviness (big death metal fan) and the closest I come to black metal is Rotting Christ who I really like. It's really hard to phrase this question without saying I want black metal that's like death metal but if that was the case I'd just listen to death metal :-D just hit me with recommendations.

I hope you dont mind keyboards but Ceremomial Castings are def worth a listen, they use quite a few death metal vocals in their music -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=FKmgzwsoiFo

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:59 pm 

I'll be perfectly honest when I first started listening to that song it sounded a little cheesy but it got a lot better throughout and the outro was really cool.

EDIT: Also keyboards aren't a problem.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:09 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/the-path-of-gevurah/

You guys heard this? I'm currently reviewing it, it's pretty damn good. Well produced aggressive black metal with hints of Norway, Sweden and orthodox stuff. Quite unique in the QC black metal scene. The demo is also very interesting.

Thanks for the heads up Tony, that was quite enjoyble, nice old school feel about it.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 pm 

I'll be perfectly honest when I first started listening to that song it sounded a little cheesy but it got a lot better throughout and the outro was really cool.

No problem, you will find a ton of shit look back over the last few pages. I take it you enjoy the more brutal type bands, if so Sick6Six has posted quite alot of good ones lately.

^ Also check out the band Metantonie has linked above.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 pm 

I wouldn't say brutal because that can signify pig squeal slam bands :P I just like the guitar to have more force to it. Will do cheers.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:44 pm 

My personal favorite from 2012 has been Laster's Wijsgeer & Narreman. It's a three-song demo, less than twenty minutes long, but goddamn does it leave an impression on you in that time. The band play monolithic, tall, atmospheric, sonically dense riffs that seem to roll over you as you listen to them, kind of like getting inundated by emotions. But never mind my pretentious babble, give it a listen: http://laster.bandcamp.com/album/wijsgeer-narreman

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:49 pm 

percepticide wrote:
I have been getting back into black metal recently and was wondering what good black metal releases have come out in the past couple of years.

A couple recent ones that i have heard have been
Summoning
Xanthrochroid

Any kind of black metal will do.

I merged this topic with the black metal help thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:43 am 

STORMM wrote:

No problem, you will find a ton of shit look back over the last few pages. I take it you enjoy the more brutal type bands, if so Sick6Six has posted quite alot of good ones lately.

^ Also check out the band Metantonie has linked above.

Yeah, my post on page 79 with all the spoilers is pretty much what you're looking for including the bands listed at the bottom that I didn't post videos of. Throw the new Pestreiter & maybe Endstille in there too.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:09 am 

I wouldn't say brutal because that can signify pig squeal slam bands :P I just like the guitar to have more force to it. Will do cheers.

And also moving away from your death metal back ground and judging by your like of Rotting Christ try out some of the melodic black metal bands such as Aldaaron, especially the debut. Also have you ever checked Windir out, one of my personal favourites, start with the last two albums, they have the best production though all the albums are excellent. Also give Norway's Sworn a blast and likewise Germany's Der Weg einer Freiheit.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:19 pm 

STORMM wrote:
And also moving away from your death metal back ground and judging by your like of Rotting Christ try out some of the melodic black metal bands such as Aldaaron, especially the debut. Also have you ever checked Windir out, one of my personal favourites, start with the last two albums, they have the best production though all the albums are excellent. Also give Norway's Sworn a blast and likewise Germany's Der Weg einer Freiheit.

Will do thanks :)

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:04 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Yeah I had to buy both of their re-released albums along with the Sargeist and that new Paria CD which also sounds awesome.

Apparently I used Paypal too many times buying shirts and CDs so I got charged for the excess usage. @_@ No Sargeist for me, at least not until June.

Now that I've listened to them, I will never cease to recommend Infernal War.

Goatpenis are pretty intense.

Pseudogod have a thick, black/death sound.

Behexen are on the raw side but are excellent and have a very intense sound.

Horna's Sanojesi äärelle has a full sound with some excellent riffs.

Hope you find something you like.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:12 pm 

I've never heard of Paypal doing anything like that!? I use it all the time... I use direct from bank account withdraw with a CC# on file, maybe you need that? And yeah Horna/Behexen/Sargeist and Infernal War are essential :)

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:18 pm 

@FaultyClockwork thanks for the suggestions I liked Goatpenis the most, the first three are by far my favourite the last two weren't really my cup of tea but I could get into it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:57 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
My personal favorite from 2012 has been Laster's Wijsgeer & Narreman. It's a three-song demo, less than twenty minutes long, but goddamn does it leave an impression on you in that time. The band play monolithic, tall, atmospheric, sonically dense riffs that seem to roll over you as you listen to them, kind of like getting inundated by emotions. But never mind my pretentious babble, give it a listen: http://laster.bandcamp.com/album/wijsgeer-narreman

Shit man, that was some really good BM. Anything out there similar to this?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:34 pm 

I've heard much BM along the years, although I have to admit that I've never the biggest fan about it. I've grown an appreciation and love for it over the more recent years and explored it for a while. Yet there's certainly and immensity of stuff I', not aware of.

So onwards to my request. More and more I listen to A Blaze In The Northern Sky and find a riveting sense of perfection in that album (nothing new I'm telling you about surely). The way the album sounds midway between To Mega Therion and Under The Sign Of The Black Mark, its filthy and oppressive atmosphere, its unmatched brutality that is yet balanced with some slight pinches of harmony here and there, and most of all Nocturno Culto's absolutely rabid vocal delivery. I mean, I want more shit with a vocalist being that fucking in your face, guttural, and raw! I also enjoy Under A Funeral Moon very much, but I think that NC's vocals on ABITNS are pretty much unparalleled.

So basically I want anything that's (almost, nothing really is though) on par with ABITNS, and mainly in the points I've focused in the above paragraph. Extra points for similar vocal delivery. I don't want anything sounding like Transilvanian Hunger production wise though. I like some raw stuff but I prefer my BM with audible instruments, if you guys know what I mean. ;)

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:23 pm 

androdion wrote:
I've heard much BM along the years, although I have to admit that I've never the biggest fan about it. I've grown an appreciation and love for it over the more recent years and explored it for a while. Yet there's certainly and immensity of stuff I', not aware of.

So onwards to my request. More and more I listen to A Blaze In The Northern Sky and find a riveting sense of perfection in that album (nothing new I'm telling you about surely). The way the album sounds midway between To Mega Therion and Under The Sign Of The Black Mark, its filthy and oppressive atmosphere, its unmatched brutality that is yet balanced with some slight pinches of harmony here and there, and most of all Nocturno Culto's absolutely rabid vocal delivery. I mean, I want more shit with a vocalist being that fucking in your face, guttural, and raw! I also enjoy Under A Funeral Moon very much, but I think that NC's vocals on ABITNS are pretty much unparalleled.

So basically I want anything that's (almost, nothing really is though) on par with ABITNS, and mainly in the points I've focused in the above paragraph. Extra points for similar vocal delivery. I don't want anything sounding like Transilvanian Hunger production wise though. I like some raw stuff but I prefer my BM with audible instruments, if you guys know what I mean. ;)

I assume you've heard Under A Funeral Moon. Also both first Bathory records. A couple of other bands i recommend: Azaghal, Djevel, Mordhell, Patrynomicon, Perverticon

Last edited by Celtic Frosted Flakes on Sat May 25, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:29 pm 

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
androdion wrote:
I also enjoy Under A Funeral Moon very much, but I think that NC's vocals on ABITNS are pretty much unparalleled.

I assume you've heard Under A Funeral Moon. Also both first Bathory records.

Yeah, I have. :D

A couple of other bands i recommend: Azaghal, Djevel, Hellmord, Patrynomicon, Perverticon

Any particular album by those bands? Azaghal I think I've heard before but I really don't remember how they sound.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:20 pm 

I haven't heard any of those bands either aside from Azaghal who's every release I own. I would say Perkeleen Luoma is my favorite Azaghal album followed by their first 2 albums and DeathKult MMDCLXVI (compilation) or the new double CD release of Mustamaa. I will have to check out those other bands sometime.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:23 pm 

@FaultyClockwork thanks for the suggestions I liked Goatpenis the most, the first three are by far my favourite the last two weren't really my cup of tea but I could get into it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Glad you liked. Goatpenis are awesome and an interesting mix of captivating leads with a brutal black/death assault. Based on those which you liked, some other bands you might find interesting are...

Blasphemy, who inspired a whole slew of bands... might be a bit too raw though?

Archgoat were also very inspirational, alongside bands like the aforementioned Blasphemy, Bestial Warlust and fellow Finns Beherit. Their early stuff is some of my favorite BM.

Revenge's most recent album was one of my favorites last year.

Blasphemophagher are another band of this style who are quite interesting.

Black Witchery. These guys can get samey but Inferno of Sacred Destruction and the live split with Archgoat slay and are enjoyable in small bites.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:42 pm 

Also, I just noticed now that both Hellmord and Patrynomicon don't even appear in the Archives... :confused:

Thanks for the tip on Azaghal Sick6Six. ;)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:14 am 

androdion wrote:

You prob know them already androdion but Tsjuder would fit the bill -

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:55 am 

I know Tsjuder but I've only listened to their latest album. Although well played it felt very generic and underwhelming, as if it was a staple collage of every other Norwegian band. :lol: Is their older stuff any better?

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:20 am 

androdion wrote:
I assume you've heard Under A Funeral Moon. Also both first Bathory records.

Yeah, I have. :D

A couple of other bands i recommend: Azaghal, Djevel, Hellmord, Patrynomicon, Perverticon

Any particular album by those bands? Azaghal I think I've heard before but I really don't remember how they sound.

Oh, I misread it i guess. :P
Well, by Azaghal I recommend Teraphim. Patronymicon are releasing their second full length soon, All Daggers Toward The Sky, there's a nice promo on youtube called "Patro Promo 2013" or something.
Mordhell have an awesome album called Suffer In Hell, I recommend it strongly. Djevel's Besatt Av Maane Og Natt is awesome, and is released soon. Then we have Perverticon's promo: http://perverticon.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by Celtic Frosted Flakes on Sat May 25, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:24 am 

androdion wrote:
I know Tsjuder but I've only listened to their latest album. Although well played it felt very generic and underwhelming, as if it was a staple collage of every other Norwegian band. :lol: Is their older stuff any better?

It's anything but a collage of Norwegian black metal styles. That would imply it's highly diverse, with plenty of melodic and atmospheric parts, wheras it's all very monochromatic and one-dimensional, in the aggressive and evil side of course.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:39 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
androdion wrote:

It's anything but a collage of Norwegian black metal styles. That would imply it's highly diverse, with plenty of melodic and atmospheric parts, wheras it's all very monochromatic and one-dimensional, in the aggressive and evil side of course.

Let me put it like this. Every time I played it I thought "Oh, that sounds like (insert Norwegian top BM band name)". Yes, it's just a blitzing attack on the senses, fast and furious. It does bring recollections of several of the ruder Norwegian bands in almost each and every riff or chord progression though.

That's what I meant, sorry for the mix up. ;)

Thanks for the reply Celtic Frosted Flakes, I'll check them out.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:26 am 

@FaultyClockwork Good stuff once again, Blasphemy weren't my favourite. I didn't mind the productions but couldn't get into the vocals, the last song was the best. Really liked the vocals and the production and sound of the guitar. Really appreciate the suggestions though.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:00 am 

I am very interested in the "mix of occult and mythology"-theme Burzum had going on when he made the very first album. Can someone direct me towards some similarly-themed black metal?

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:40 pm 

@FaultyClockwork Good stuff once again, Blasphemy weren't my favourite. I didn't mind the productions but couldn't get into the vocals, the last song was the best. Really liked the vocals and the production and sound of the guitar. Really appreciate the suggestions though.

Glad you found some stuff you like. Happy to help. :)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:47 pm 

check page 79... You will like Besatt, Lugubre, Eternal Majesty, Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult and probably the others I wrote on there.

ToliFlesh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:43 am 

Basically, I like Weakling, Black Witchery (and all the acts like Black Witchery), Agalloch, and I mildly like Wolves in the Throne Room. I absolutely do not want to hear anything that sounds like Krallice, Liturgy, or Abigail Williams. As far as preference goes, I want something more like Weakling than I do any of the other bands mentioned up there, and less like Wolves in the Throne Room (although if you recommend anything like them please tell me!) Thanks for the help beforehand.

Last edited by Metantoine on Sun May 26, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's looking for USBM

UnrealReality
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:34 pm 

@ToliFlesh:

With the fear of being a slight bit off in my recommendations, I think I have some gems for you.

Sterbend reminds me a lot about Weaking, due to the howling screams and the aggressive, yet simple music.
Especially this piece:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0vRYdRVeGk[/youtube]

There is Gallowbraid, which leans more towards Agalloch, but is worth a listen to most black metal fans. May be a bit too uplifting, though.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XVATLAuYWU[/youtube]

I always tend to save the best for last, so here's one you must love, based on your stated likes.
Csejthe
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqhbXaaZxWo&list=PLpaQmpg-ZKuWhHtUBaTHvV8_36KfefWcx&index=3[/youtube]

I am not sure if I f'ed up the code for the YT links, pardon me if I did.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:44 am 

I am very interested in the "mix of occult and mythology"-theme Burzum had going on when he made the very first album. Can someone direct me towards some similarly-themed black metal?

the Czech band Master's Hammer comes to mind. They mix spiritualism and occultism with some traditional Czech things. Unfortunately, the lyrics aren't in English, but maybe you'll be able to get something out of it.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:38 pm 

Arckanum. Good luck finding translations of the lyrics tho.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:20 pm 

I can understand it more or less. It is old swedish but swedish is very similar.

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm 

So we all know that Winter is an extremely common aesthetic, but I'm looking for black metal that goes for a Summer aesthetic. Any recommendations?

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:58 pm 

Adept128 wrote:
So we all know that Winter is an extremely common aesthetic, but I'm looking for black metal that goes for a Summer aesthetic. Any recommendations?

Early Drudkh is a fairly obvious example. They always captured that glorious late-summer/early autumn feel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7PLhhb0Mls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfHLvxeAepQ

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 231  Next