Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:00 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Algaion's debut is a riff rollercoaster, i always wonder why is not more popular. Highly suggested

Yep, I agree. Especially 'Throughout Times', haha. I am hard to surprise!

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:32 am 

Ok, lets try a little harder! :lol:

Germany is quite full of overlooked stuff: Tsatthoggua's two albums channel the spirit of the best Imp Naz records. Great riffs and pure energy, a favourite of mine

Witchbane were suggested to me by a BM loving friend, nothing extraordinary, but well written enough to satisfy

A bit more infamous than the two above, Niden Div. 187's only record is pretty incredible, with a breathtaking, violent atmosphere. i really suggest it.

If you like Sacramentum, Dissection etc. Etc. Sweden's Scheitan made a good debut album, worth listening :)

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:32 pm 

I'm looking for good Black Metal with Keyboard. But not the "dramatic" or "symphonic" kind. More like Castlevania-Style. Like Nachthymnen by Abigor. More like the Keyboard as an Instument for really eerie horror, graveyard, gothic-castle/church like atmosphere

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:55 pm 

Damballah wrote:
I'm looking for good Black Metal with Keyboard. But not the "dramatic" or "symphonic" kind. More like Castlevania-Style. Like Nachthymnen by Abigor. More like the Keyboard as an Instument for really eerie horror, graveyard, gothic-castle/church like atmosphere

It’s usually kind of hard to tell when it crosses the line, but try Obsidian Gate’s The Nightspectral Voyage. They’re a lot more up front than on Nachthymnen, but they have a similar vibe. Might be a bit too spacey.

https://youtu.be/D2s7bDzgtPM

Aztakea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:03 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm looking for black metal albums from the 90s, that are heavily overlooked. The hidden gems. I know a lot of black metal, so surprise me! Thanks.

You probably already know about this one and I'm not sure you would consider it heavily overlooked, but the first Throne of Ahaz album is really great. It was recorded in early 1993 but wasn't released until '95 and as we know the scene had exploded by that time causing this album to not receive the praise it so rightfully deserves as one of the classics, instead it sadly faded into obscurity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT8lW73jexU

https://aztakea.bandcamp.com/releases

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:06 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm looking for black metal albums from the 90s, that are heavily overlooked. The hidden gems. I know a lot of black metal, so surprise me! Thanks.

The Ancients Rebirth - Drain the Portal in Blood
Forlorn - The Crystal Palace. Hammerheart/Twilight of the Gods-inspired Melodic Black
Thy Grief - The Frozen Tomb of Mankind. Sacramentum/Dawn worship

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 am 

Hellbeast11 wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

The Ancients Rebirth - Drain the Portal in Blood
Forlorn - The Crystal Palace. Hammerheart/Twilight of the Gods-inspired Melodic Black
Thy Grief - The Frozen Tomb of Mankind. Sacramentum/Dawn worship

The Ancients Rebirth - Drain the Portal in Blood <- Reminds me a slight bit of early Hades/Helheim/Enslaved. Nice
Forlorn - The Crystal Palace. Hammerheart/Twilight of the Gods-inspired Melodic Black <-- From the first moment on, I knew this was on point. Especially when the keyboards kick in at 'Lik Av Falne Menn'. Folky/Melodic but in the right way!
Thy Grief - The Frozen Tomb of Mankind. Sacramentum/Dawn worship < - Exactly what you wrote.

Now this is what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:37 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Fimbulwinter - "Servants Of Sorcery".

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:53 am 

Unity wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Fimbulwinter - "Servants Of Sorcery".

I personally wouldn't consider that one overlooked as it has quite a status. In comparison to all other things Shagrath has done maybe.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:13 pm 

Ardbeg, try this. Lithuanian black metal with a mystical, ritualistic vibe. Emperor but actually good, if you will. Maybe a bit of early Katatonia in there too.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 pm 

A general rec for anyone: if you like Reverend Kriss Hades, and his style of dense, classically influenced black/shred metal with a drum machine, check out Mystic Forest's "Green Hell". It is dense, classically influenced black/shred metal with a drum machine.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:28 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
A general rec for anyone: if you like Reverend Kriss Hades, and his style of dense, classically influenced black/shred metal with a drum machine, check out Mystic Forest's "Green Hell". It is dense, classically influenced black/shred metal with a drum machine.

Whatever happened to Mystic Forest? I remember them being talked about heavily in these parts circa 2006/2007 and then, poof, they kind of fell off the face of the earth. I always enjoyed their albums, though. So nice rec!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:42 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Ardbeg, try this. Lithuanian black metal with a mystical, ritualistic vibe. Emperor but actually good, if you will. Maybe a bit of early Katatonia in there too.

Wait, what?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:18 pm 

I think Emperor kind of sucks, to a progressively greater degree the longer they existed as a band, and Nahash reminds me of Emperor without the sucky parts. That's all there is to it.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:38 pm 

Riiiiiight.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:13 pm 

Not even "Emperor" and "Wrath of the Tyrant"?

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Here's a few that I feel may be overlooked, though admittedly I haven't paid much attention to tastes/trends in black metal since probably when these came out.

Frozen Shadows - Dans les bras des immortels. Blistering, cold and ripe with atmosphere to back it up. Imagine a hybrid of 1995-era Immortal and Emperor.
Tha-Norr - Wolfenzeitalter. Traditional and mostly mid-paced in the Norwegian school, not groundbreaking but some great riffs to be found.
Empaligon - Black Dominated Annihilation. Fairly raw hyperspeed black metal that channels some Zyklon-B and Abigor influences. Rather savage in its execution. Too bad about the cover art. It's shameful and looks like it was meant for a Dismal Euphony album.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:14 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Not even "Emperor" and "Wrath of the Tyrant"?

I hadn't heard Wrath of the Tyrant in a while, but your post inspired me to go check it out again, It's quite good, much better than the stuff on the first full-length.

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:19 pm 

All the post-black metal I seem to find is shimmery and pink like Deafheaven and Ghost Bath. Are there any post-black that move stick to either grim or somber?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:10 pm 

WingedOctopus wrote:
All the post-black metal I seem to find is shimmery and pink like Deafheaven and Ghost Bath. Are there any post-black that move stick to either grim or somber?

Fen's later stuff is very somber and introspective. I like it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtBqlBr0cCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqDGA1DqF0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McouH7C0D3Q

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:38 am 

I have a ton of quality obscure recommendations for you lot but I am too kvlt and you're all posers. NO RECS.

BTW, not liking In the Nightside Eclipse is objectively wrong.

WingedOctopus wrote:

Maybe try Mortualia but post-black is not generally known for grimness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13BYIyb5sZ4

or perhaps Frail?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQyHGfcGbKk

and yes Fen is a great rec. on the Malediction Fields

oh fuck I almost forgot Westering!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAX--49L-Pg

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:43 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Whatever happened to Mystic Forest? I remember them being talked about heavily in these parts circa 2006/2007 and then, poof, they kind of fell off the face of the earth. I always enjoyed their albums, though. So nice rec!

I would never compare the two. All of the "classical" parts of that guy's music were samples he stole, I recall.

He definitely "fell off the face of the earth."

Quote:
He killed himself by jumping under a train.

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Szakh/41250

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:09 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:

He definitely "fell off the face of the earth."

Quote:
He killed himself by jumping under a train.

Fuck, that'll do it. I'll revisit these albums sometime soon to see if I remember what all the hype was about.

Kommanderhooyah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:11 pm 

Could someone please recommend some good instrumental melodic black metal? Symphonic and folk elements are acceptable. I am fairly familiar with the sub-genre, but am seeking more instrumentals.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:59 pm 

Kommanderhooyah wrote:
Could someone please recommend some good instrumental melodic black metal? Symphonic and folk elements are acceptable. I am fairly familiar with the sub-genre, but am seeking more instrumentals.

While I wouldn't categorize them as melodic black metal, per se, Deafest has a large discography of work that lies somewhere in the realm of riffy atmospheric black metal. Lots of melodic tremolo riffing and acoustic passages meandering throughout. I think the debut is the only album that has vocals, so it fits the instrumental bit.

http://deafest.bandcamp.com/

riff_hewn_altar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:14 pm 

So, I've been really into this EP by Waldeinsamkeit (the one from Ecuador, not the UK). Could anyone help me find some similarly atmospheric, depressive stuff that's just smothered in curtains of slow, echoing guitar fuzz?

(First song starts at 1:05):

therequiemgirl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:08 am 

Highly recommend Inferno Requiem from the island of Taiwan
Not like any those soft-spoken poetry Chinese bands you can possibly refer; instead a decent black metal band bleeding the old Norwegian hard-nose blood, with the oriental curse/grudge atmosphere, very charmy!
Inferno Requiem have released 3 albums so far (I would consider 'Moon' as an album instead of an EP since it runs almost 30 minutes!)
Their debut "Gloomy Night Stories" was considered one of the earliest raw black metal in far east.
And their latest album released last year "Nuwa" was whole mystic cult that would amaze you.
Despite formed in 1999, still quite unknown, maybe because they are from Taiwan and have not sign with a notable label.
They could definitely thrive as one of the best if they are from the US or EU.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/In ... iem/113453
https://ir-fog.bandcamp.com/

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:42 am 

Kommanderhooyah wrote:
Could someone please recommend some good instrumental melodic black metal? Symphonic and folk elements are acceptable.

Perhaps Forest Of Fog: https://youtu.be/DMwZ_7BqOvE

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:12 pm 

Here’s a recommendation from me, if you are a fan of Infernal War then def check out Voidhanger, kinda the same band lineup almost but these guys play a more blackened thrash/death metal style. Plenty of heavy and fast parts but the tempo is mixed up nicely and some good riffs.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:42 am 

riff_hewn_altar wrote:
So, I've been really into this EP by Waldeinsamkeit (the one from Ecuador, not the UK). Could anyone help me find some similarly atmospheric, depressive stuff that's just smothered in curtains of slow, echoing guitar fuzz?

Your description reminded me immediately of Strid, and judging by the first riff I am quite correct. Interesting little EP you posted, theres even an evolution of one of those Darkthrone four part tremelo drone sections(I love and study those)

Anyway I recommend you listen to Strid's two song Ep and these random one of songs:

https://youtu.be/swu-5r5ahPU
https://youtu.be/6gaTqjo2NsQ
https://youtu.be/jJ5Ln63gd88

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:53 am 

riff_hewn_altar wrote:

My favorite track of all time in this style is by Vhernen.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm 

Damballah wrote:

I would recommend -

I would also generally request any recommendations for good symphonic black metal.

Or if anyone knows something that resembles this

John_Sunlight wrote:

I love Mystic Forest and Eikenskaden. I don't have any further recommendations as I don't know anyone else who sounds like them.

Kommanderhooyah wrote:

Neta00
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:43 pm 

BM Album with "vampire" theme?
I listened yesterday a Black Funeral's first album,it was awsome

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:18 pm 

Neta00 wrote:

Drowning the Light use vampires as a regular, albeit inconsistent theme. Azgorth is also playing in Black Funeral right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1LJP07g_9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihqr1u7N6cc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGr6zcd--eQ

Obviously of course there's also Mutiilation. They're a pretty old school example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GGhh_RftT4

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:50 pm 

Neta00 wrote:

"Mad Grandiose Bloodfiends" is the most Vampire themed album in black metal.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:21 am 

Neta00 wrote:

Vampyric Blood
Thokk

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:49 pm 

Neta00 wrote:

Abyssos.

Kommanderhooyah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:41 pm 

Necromantia commonly uses vampiric themes.
https://youtu.be/0btx6nZyydo

Neta00
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:54 pm 

Thanks to all :D

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 am 

Can someone recommend me some raw(ish), melodic black metal with atmospheric interludes within the songs? I wanted to use the E.P. Psylosofaal by the French black metal band Landvaettir as a frame of reference, but that album is nowhere to be found on the internet (I'll upload it if it doesn't violate the rules of the board).

I suppose an apt description would be Bergtatt, but with synth and clean electric guitar interludes instead of acoustic/folky ones. Blut aus Nord's Ultima Thulee also isn't too far off the mark.

Guitar solos and varied vocals would be a plus, but aren't necessary.

For the record, I am definitely not looking for anything blackgaze.

Fingers crossed.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 231  Next