Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:15 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Vargrimm's album has some clean vocals and the last Blood Red Fog album, there's more too but I would have to think. I hate clean vocals!

Thanx but they weren't really my kind of thing. I've combined Absurd's demo God's Death with their Thuringian Pagan Madness EP and tracks 5-7 from Facta Loquuntur. 13 tracks combined little over 37mins, I don't think I have recently played anything this often!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:41 pm 

Crypt666 wrote:
I really like slow-mid paced Black Metal with clean singing vocals like Absurd uses on their early demo's and debut album: http://youtu.be/rM6biTKLO8E

Also Nitberg uses similar vocals on their Nitsanger EP: http://youtu.be/Y300nVB9kaA

Infernum's song "Pagan" from their album "The Curse":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcgaS0PGyS0&t=18m40s

The singing on Urfaust - Die Kalte Teufelsfaust (Geist Ist Teufel):
http://youtu.be/mjHaJq1BTQ4

Seems to be hard to find anything like this especially in full length but let me know if anything comes to mind!

Hmmm... would Isengard work for you Crypt666?

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:13 pm 

Recently got CD of Rodent Epoch album Hellbastard, from Finland very raw and feral. Worth checking out! A very good album. :)

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:58 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Hmmm... would Isengard work for you Crypt666?

Thanx, I could really like his voice but the way he uses it and the music just isn't my thing :(

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:55 am 

↑ No problem mate, was worth a try! Not alot I can think of in the style you are looking but I am sure I would have something in my collection. Will let you know if I come across anything. I have others in the style of Isengard such as Storm but I know know this is not the style you are after.

Nordvis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:35 am 

Crypt666 wrote:
I really like slow-mid paced Black Metal with clean singing vocals like Absurd uses on their early demo's and debut album: http://youtu.be/rM6biTKLO8E

Also Nitberg uses similar vocals on their Nitsanger EP: http://youtu.be/Y300nVB9kaA

Infernum's song "Pagan" from their album "The Curse":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcgaS0PGyS0&t=18m40s

The singing on Urfaust - Die Kalte Teufelsfaust (Geist Ist Teufel):
http://youtu.be/mjHaJq1BTQ4

Seems to be hard to find anything like this especially in full length but let me know if anything comes to mind!

LIK is not exactly black metal but "occult black rock", but I'd say the influences you are looking for are there and considering you had Isengard linked as an alternative before, this should work as well.

SKOGEN - Vittra, DigiCD

PRE-ORDERS:
MURG - Varg & Björn, CD/MC
LUSTRE - Blossom, CD

http://www.nordvis.com
http://www.facebook.com/nordvis
http://nordvis.bandcamp.com

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:01 am 

Nordvis wrote:
LIK is not exactly black metal but "occult black rock", but I'd say the influences you are looking for are there and considering you had Isengard linked as an alternative before, this should work as well.

Thanx I was recommended Lik in my closed topic but I don't like it.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:18 am 

Crypt666 wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:
Vargrimm's album has some clean vocals and the last Blood Red Fog album, there's more too but I would have to think. I hate clean vocals!

Thanx but they weren't really my kind of thing. I've combined Absurd's demo God's Death with their Thuringian Pagan Madness EP and tracks 5-7 from Facta Loquuntur. 13 tracks combined little over 37mins, I don't think I have recently played anything this often!

I sampled Absurd a few times and found the bands name to be fitting. Didn't get it or like it at all, not sure why I've seen it as a best seller on some more obscure distros.

Anyway I think some people were looking for some DSBM with lower vocals recently? Maybe check out Blodulv (any album) and Luror - Cease to Live. Not the typical Xasthur kind of DSBM, but way way better IMO.

Nordvis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:34 pm 

Crypt666 wrote:
Nordvis wrote:

Thanx I was recommended Lik in my closed topic but I don't like it.

Not too surprising I suppose since you're probably the first person I see say they didn't like Isengard, and LIK took a lot of influence from Isengard. :)
SKOGEN - Vittra, DigiCD

PRE-ORDERS:
MURG - Varg & Björn, CD/MC
LUSTRE - Blossom, CD

http://www.nordvis.com
http://www.facebook.com/nordvis
http://nordvis.bandcamp.com

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:47 am 

Quote:
I sampled Absurd a few times and found the bands name to be fitting. Didn't get it or like it at all, not sure why I've seen it as a best seller on some more obscure distros.

I always kinda just thought they were shitty RAC (white power rock) masquerading as black metal. A lot of NSBM bands could be described thusly.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:27 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
I always kinda just thought they were shitty RAC (white power rock) masquerading as black metal. A lot of NSBM bands could be described thusly.

Well they didn't release a single full length I entirely liked. I like the God's Death demo and a couple of more tracks from other demo's. Rerecorded versions of these songs appear on their debut EP and first full length (Which are great) but I don't like any of the new material they wrote.

I'm a big fan of early 80's Oi! so that probably explains a lot ;)

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:27 pm 

Are there any experimental/post black metal bands using 1st wave black metal kind of vocals? You know, those vocals we hear in venom, or mayhem's de mysteriis.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:34 pm 

While these bands aren't too far off the beaten path, Dragonlord and Vesania should appeal to the person looking for stuff similar to Dimmu Borgir. I prefer Vesania's album God the Lux to the one the above linked song comes from, Firefrost Arcanum, but GtL is a little deathier.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:15 am 

Hello thread, what's some foresty black metal that sounds similar to Branikald? Ideally not NS but if it is I don't really care.

Grimbeard wrote:
I'm looking Bathory worship bands like Hunters Moon. I'm only interested in bands/albums that rip off the sounds of the first four Bathory albums. Thanks in advance!

There's a demo tape by a norwegian band called Incarnator that might interest you, unfortunately it's only 2 songs and they never did anything else, but it's very Bathory like.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:26 am 

Ifing is pretty forest like.
http://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/against-this-weald

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:28 am 

Was hoping to just get some general opinions on Thantifaxath? I ordered their EP and full length last night. I didn't sample anything because it's more fun that way, but I AM curious what people think of their sound and there isn't a lot in the way of reviews. Can the "similar bands" tab be trusted, do they have similarities to Negative Plane? I'm a big fan of NP.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:32 am 

Not a big fan of them as a live band (I've seen them twice) but I think the full length is pretty boss (easily one of the highlights of 2014, autothrall is right). I'm not quite sure you'll dig them though, they don't have NP's traditional metal influences and are way more dissonant. I guess we'll see since you have this old school "surprise me!" approach!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:23 pm 

You know, I took that similar artist tab with a big block of salt since autothrall NEVER mentioned a similarity. The closest he came was mentioning them in the same breath as Funereal Presence. I'm kind of curious what they're all about too. Love the album name/cover and of course it's the drummer from NP on all instruments.

Thanks though Tony, that's a good start. I'm really excited to check them out. I'm not sure I know what dissonance means in relation to black metal anymore, but I don't think that's a deal breaker necessarily.

Any other opinions (good or bad) anyone wants to toss in the ring would be appreciated.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:29 am 

Alright so there isn't a ton of clamor in these parts about Thantifaxath, good to know! They may not sound like Negative Plane but I've been obsessively consuming reviews and the bass keeps being mentioned as being rich, warm, upfront, etc. Very excited to see how that plays out with the dissonant approach and the wandering structure.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:40 am 

Jonpo wrote:
You know, I took that similar artist tab with a big block of salt since autothrall NEVER mentioned a similarity. The closest he came was mentioning them in the same breath as Funereal Presence. I'm kind of curious what they're all about too. Love the album name/cover and of course it's the drummer from NP on all instruments.

Thanks though Tony, that's a good start. I'm really excited to check them out. I'm not sure I know what dissonance means in relation to black metal anymore, but I don't think that's a deal breaker necessarily.

Any other opinions (good or bad) anyone wants to toss in the ring would be appreciated.

I don't listen to autothrall! as good as his reviews are, and I think some of his titles are down right hilarious, some of his scores just baffle the fuck out of me. He seems to have the exact same taste in music as me, but some things I completely agree with and others I just don't understand one bit. I don't see how he has time to listen to so many albums more than just once either.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:23 pm 

I guess we're the exact opposite. Once I get an idea of what a reviewer focuses on I don't even usually bother looking at the score or taking it into account. That percentage is nothing to me. I glean just as much positive information from negative reviews. Autothrall may be a fungus but he's pretty talented at giving me a decent idea what something is going to sound like. Plus I know he's into NP so I'm sure he would have mentioned it if there was much of a correlation.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:08 pm 

Today in high-quality USBM (it does exist!), this band I stumbled across called Yith that describes itself as black/doom. Definitely a hybrid of the two, rather than just slow or minimalist black metal like lots of bands that use the tag, though some songs definitely lean more heavily one way or the other. Very evocative of crumbling, ruined yet once majestic castles. Haven't heard the first demo yet as it's not on their Bandcamp but I snagged the other three (Demo 2 is free and Demo 3/the S/T are only a buck each) and the band is incredibly solid.

From the third demo:

More black metally track from the second demo:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:15 pm 

Wow! Thanks for that Batman, never heard of that band.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:25 pm 

Yeah, I found them a little while ago but wanted to listen to all their stuff to confirm that they were as cool as I thought they were and they definitely are. Added a second track to the post just now that's a little more black metallish and not as doomy as the first.

vomitoxic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:40 am 

I recently found this Finnish band called: Hiidenhauta.
Really good melodic black metal. Maybe bit Emperorish also.

http://hiidenhauta.bandcamp.com

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:00 pm 

Nice folk BM band. The album is free on Bandcamp.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:11 am 

vomitoxic wrote:
I recently found this Finnish band called: Hiidenhauta.
Really good melodic black metal. Maybe bit Emperorish also.

http://hiidenhauta.bandcamp.com

Their keyboard player is a total miscreant!

Cool band though. Reminds me a good bit of early Enslaved, too, but often with a more pronounced modern folky feel. I also owe them a review of the full-length, which will happen...eventually!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:12 pm 

What's the best introduction to Lunar Aurora?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:07 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Anything from Ars Moriendi to Mond. It depends on what you're expecting, though. For some people it would be Andacht, and for some it would be the first two albums and demos.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:38 pm 

colin040 wrote:

It really depends on your taste. I like these:
Lunar Aurora - Auf Dunklen Schwingen (Demo) (1996) (GER)
Lunar Aurora - Weltengänger (1996) (GER)
Lunar Aurora - Ars Moriendi (2001) (GER)
Lunar Aurora - Mond (2005) (GER)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:41 am 

Thanks. They showed on this list of bands similar to The Ruins of Beverast so I'm hoping they won't disappoint. :p

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:39 am 

They're not very similar at all, though - in fact, I think Lunar Aurora has more in common with early Horna than it does with Beverast. They have vague similarities with Beverast's debut up to Elixir of Sorrow, so either that or Ars Moriendi would probably be the best introduction for you.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:00 am 

I only have 'Mond,' but it's quite good. They really nail that cold, somewhat depressive atmosphere.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:07 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
I only have 'Mond,' but it's quite good. They really nail that cold, somewhat depressive atmosphere.

I definitely recommend exploring their discography further. Mond and Andacht are much less varied and interesting as most of their albums. The first three albums can be outright psychedelic, and the last album, while very impressive, is a very different beast from all the other ones.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:17 pm 

recently re-listened to Raise Hell's debut album and now I've been craving black/thrash with a mild hint of Storm of the Light's bane-era Dissection. Any recs come to mind?

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:39 pm 

@OneSizeFitz - The first on Black Anvil's upcoming album might be something you dig. http://blackanvil.bandcamp.com/track/still-reborn
The rest of the album isn't too much like the first song sadly.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:55 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
recently re-listened to Raise Hell's debut album and now I've been craving black/thrash with a mild hint of Storm of the Light's bane-era Dissection. Any recs come to mind?

How about Valdrin from Cincinnati?

http://valdrin.bandcamp.com/

Like your reviews?

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:54 pm 

iamntbatman, those Yith songs are pretty cool. Might have to check out more.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:28 pm 

damn, Valdrin kicks ass. Gonna have to check out the rest of that album. I remember listening to alotta Black Anvil's Triumvirate when it first came out, definitely wasn't expecting them to make something that had that much melody in it like that Still reborn track. Both bands basically hit the nail on the head for me.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:59 am 

Flugeldufel wrote:
iamntbatman, those Yith songs are pretty cool. Might have to check out more.

Agreed, thanks for the tip batman!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 231  Next