Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:31 pm 

Does anybody know some good bands in the vein of Dawn (swe), Sarcasm (swe), Dissection's first two and the first Sacramentum release? I want stuff that is not usually mentioned though.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:54 am 

Algaion's first album is a little and usually overlooked gem of that era, and their sound reminds me the bands you mentioned.. you may want to check it out :)

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:47 pm 

Speaking of underground stuff, I guess I'll recommend what's good from my country. First, check out Corpus Christii, all their albums are great except for the first two. Their side project Morte Incandescente is awesome too. If you're looking for more first-wave sounding stuff check out Decayed and Filii Nigrantium Infernalium. And then there's stuff like Cripta Oculta, Irae, Dolentia, Inverno Eterno, InThyFlesh and Sirius. Hope that helps.

Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:59 pm 

The Crazy Old School Music Fan wrote:
Does anybody know some good bands in the vein of Dawn (swe), Sarcasm (swe), Dissection's first two and the first Sacramentum release? I want stuff that is not usually mentioned though.

Don't know what bands are "usually mentioned", but check out Mörk gryning, Unanimated, Merciless - Unbound, Decameron, The Moaning, Cardinal Sin, Naglfar, Gates of Ishtar, Vinterland...

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:30 am 

try thulcandra, and if you want something hard to find/unknown, check out unhallowed's (GER) s/t.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:42 am 

I just can't appreciate Thulcandra, being the copycats they are. The fact that they don't hide it exonerates the band, but not their music.

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:08 pm 

CadenZ wrote:

Don't know what bands are "usually mentioned", but check out Mörk gryning, Unanimated, Merciless - Unbound, Decameron, The Moaning, Cardinal Sin, Naglfar, Gates of Ishtar, Vinterland...

Unanimated and Merciless are bands that would be "usually mentioned". Basically, I'm asking about stuff most people would not think about. I've heard Unanimated, Merciless and Gates of Ishtar, I will try the rest though.

Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 am 

Try the Swordmaster EP "Wraths of Time" as well, but not the subsequent releases (while not bad per se, they're nowhere near the same style or quality).

FuneralDeity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:31 pm 

I'll try again. MANES, specifically their black metal material. Can anyone recommend a band that plays in a similar style to that?
I am aware of Manii.

Von Cichlid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:39 pm 

This was actually recorded before Somberlain if I understand it correctly, which would make this a very seminal Swedish bm album. Chances are you have heard:

Actually a better album but less talked about is their second one.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:51 am 

Instrumental black metal?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:46 am 

Amosofnlm wrote:

What about it?

Folk, I am looking for black metal that almost sounds from different worlds, like this:

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:42 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Amosofnlm wrote:

What about it?

Does such a thing exist, and if so, can any of you point me in its direction?
Since this is a recommendation thread, the implication is clear.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:55 pm 

Try this:

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:41 am 

In the mood for some straight-forward and catchy tremolo riffing and blasting along the lines of Dark Funeral's latest album and Anaal Nathrakh during their more melodic breaks.

I'm familiar with the usual suspects like Marduk and Naglfar already so any other recs would be awesome. Thanks.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:08 am 

It's not really my favorite style of BM, but i've always found Endstille to be pretty good at it: they are consistent in quality, but i would suggest the Verfuhrer album in particular

For a less known pick i would suggest Handful of Hate: Gruesome Splendour is ultra-aggressive, very inspired by the bands you mentioned and has little injection of death metal, you may like it! :)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:31 pm 

frostyj66 wrote:
In the mood for some straight-forward and catchy tremolo riffing and blasting along the lines of Dark Funeral's latest album and Anaal Nathrakh during their more melodic breaks.

I'm familiar with the usual suspects like Marduk and Naglfar already so any other recs would be awesome. Thanks.

I agree with Endstille, but would add Infektion 1813 and Dominanz to the list of badass albums.

For some lesser known, newer stuff check these out:

Ars Veneficium The song "Angel of Angels" especially gets me pumped.
http://digital.immortalfrostproductions.com/album/the-reign-of-the-infernal-king

Abyssgale Suggested these guys a few pages back, awesome and sadly unknown.
https://abyssgale-official.bandcamp.com/album/hegemon

Death Fortress Sounds a lot like Hate Forest and or Dark Funeral
https://deathfortress.bandcamp.com/

Sekhmet Start with the song "The Doctine Falls" or "Enforced Discipline"
https://sekhmetczech.bandcamp.com/album/spiritual-eclipse

Then there's also the slightly more well known bands like
Ragnarok (Nor) Blackdoor Miracle album and later, Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, Infernal War, etc. I'm sure I can come up with more.

bonus:
Marthyrium Just listened to this for the first time this morning, sounds like a more aggressive, straightforward version of some of the new Icelandic bands.
https://blackseedprod.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-thresholds

Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:13 pm 

frostyj66 wrote:

Try 1349. Start from the first album and work your way up the discography, as the first ones are more blasty.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:50 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Try this:

That's pretty cool, thanks.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
It's not really my favorite style of BM, but i've always found Endstille to be pretty good at it: they are consistent in quality, but i would suggest the Verfuhrer album in particular

For a less known pick i would suggest Handful of Hate: Gruesome Splendour is ultra-aggressive, very inspired by the bands you mentioned and has little injection of death metal, you may like it! :)

Vefuhrer was an excellent suggestion, really enjoyed it! The track Dead was especially good and ticked all the boxes for me.

I've known of Endstille for a while but was one of those bands I never had the chance to listen to. Thanks for getting me to finally hear them. They excel when they're full-steam ahead blasting.. the drummer's name 'Mayhemic Destructor' is very appropriate lol.

Had a quick listen to Gruesome Splendour and it sounds very promising so far. Nice find!

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:09 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
For some lesser known, newer stuff check these out:

Ars Veneficium The song "Angel of Angels" especially gets me pumped.
http://digital.immortalfrostproductions.com/album/the-reign-of-the-infernal-king

Abyssgale Suggested these guys a few pages back, awesome and sadly unknown.
https://abyssgale-official.bandcamp.com/album/hegemon

Death Fortress Sounds a lot like Hate Forest and or Dark Funeral
https://deathfortress.bandcamp.com/

Sekhmet Start with the song "The Doctine Falls" or "Enforced Discipline"
https://sekhmetczech.bandcamp.com/album/spiritual-eclipse

Then there's also the slightly more well known bands like
Ragnarok (Nor) Blackdoor Miracle album and later, Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, Infernal War, etc. I'm sure I can come up with more.

bonus:
Marthyrium Just listened to this for the first time this morning, sounds like a more aggressive, straightforward version of some of the new Icelandic bands.
https://blackseedprod.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-thresholds

Holy shit, great list have added to my queue and will let you know how I go! Will definitely be checking out the other Endstille albums as Vefuhrer was just what I was after. Ragnarok is the only band you've listed that I've heard before and remember enjoying it. Looking forward to hearing all the others, cheers!

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:12 pm 

CadenZ wrote:
Try 1349. Start from the first album and work your way up the discography, as the first ones are more blasty.

Oh yeah pretty familiar with these guys but haven't heard their stuff in many years. Time to revisit, will do as you suggest and listen to first album and work my way up. I remember Frost is pretty much in God Mode the whole time! :)

Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 am 

frostyj66 wrote:
I remember Frost is pretty much in God Mode the whole time! :)

That is indeed the case! The mid-era albuns have several more ambient and nightmarish songs and parts, which some like, some don't (I do). The latest, something Cauldron something, is a pretty groovy and thrashy variety of their style. They've managed to sound like themselves on every record despite the stylistical progression, though.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:11 pm 

Got to a point now where I'm very slow getting into more good old or new black metal bands. Definitely word of mouth required for that these days. So I'm pretty into the old school fast paced style of black metal. Some of my favourites include 1349, Anaal Nathrakh, sargeist, Infernal War, Dark Funeral, Tsjuder, Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult. 1349 one of my fav, with frosts incredible speed and their overall highly chaotic sound. I don't mind a bit of mid paced so long as it's not too much like that. Preferably mostly fast though. So can someone please send me a ton of bands playing the old school fast paced black metal style? No atmospheric stuff either thanks. And would prefer it if whichever bands you name have a fairly decent amount of albums out not just 1 or 2 ideally. And are there any other sources/places online I should be looking for this kind of help? A few have said I should check certain YouTube channels but there's that much stuff on there... Help would be very appreciated :) Also, any other female black metal bands I should know about? Obviously I know about Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult and then also Astarte. Otherwise seems quite a rarity.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:57 am 

Maybe some Thunderbolt, and why not Behexen, especially By the Blessing of Satan and The Poisonous Path. They aren't Frost-fast, but very intense.

And hey, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUIv35CGsU

Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:15 am 

mike_87 wrote:
So can someone please send me a ton of bands playing the old school fast paced black metal style?

Try Beastcraft or Urgehal!

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:35 am 

Oh I also like Enthroned, very much, anything like that. And I did say a ton of bands please :) Just been listening to clips of 'Tenebrosus' too, sound quite promising for my taste, fairly Infernal War like and I will make exceptions for some bands with only 2 albums out but prefer more.

Last edited by mike_87 on Wed May 17, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:06 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Maybe some Thunderbolt, and why not Behexen, especially By the Blessing of Satan and The Poisonous Path. They aren't Frost-fast, but very intense.

And hey, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUIv35CGsU

I know Behexen very well, have done for years, but I prefer their older stuff and think Sargeist are better too. Don't have to be exactly like Frost either but near enough pref.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 pm 

CadenZ wrote:
mike_87 wrote:
So can someone please send me a ton of bands playing the old school fast paced black metal style?

Try Beastcraft or Urgehal!
Yes!
Also see my post in response to frostyj66 further up on this page, all of those match what you are looking for. Also there's Vredehammer, they are slightly death metalish, but close enough. You probably know about Besatt? I used to really like them, but not so much anymore, I would suggest the Black Mass album and one of the new ones if you can stand the vocals. The last couple Azaghal albums and some of their earlier stuff like Perkeleen Luoma and Luciferan Valo (probably spelled these wrong) would fit the bill. On yeah and Dodsferd - Cursing Your Will to Live.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:34 pm 

Only heard of Besatt, so what you say is their newer stuff isn't as good?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:40 pm 

The new stuff is over the top aggressive, Nine Sins was really good instrument wise, but the vocals ruin it for most people. Here, have a listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3RbrbS-LtQ

Edit: one more rec, Nadiwrath's latest album, same vocalist as Dodsferd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7dIZFqMf58&t=67s

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:50 pm 

Thank you for the recommendations so far, appreciate it, keep them coming people :) surprised I've never yet got round to listening to Besatt or Urgehal, when I've been into BM for a good decade. Got into Tsjuder like 9 years back. So no bands I should know of with female participants apart from the ones I mentioned? Obviously it's a mostly male dominated genre so difficult to find them. DNS were great when I heard them, Astartes debut is the best the second and third were alright, not the same when they switched vocalists with the final two albums, but Maria contributed a lot of work in the early days she was just better on an instrument IMO.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:21 pm 

There's a newer band also from Germany with a female vocalist/guitarist. The EP is really damn good and almost 30 minutes long, hope to hear a full length soon. https://nornirmetal.bandcamp.com/ Only one I can think of.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:40 pm 

Big thumbs up to the Rage Nucleaire recommendation :) just listened to Unrelenting Fucking hatred.... up my street, like a more melodic focused Anaal Nathrakh. Maybe a human drummer unlike AN as well? One of the first Canadian metal bands to really impress me. Knocked me off my feet a lot more than Monarque. Can see myself forking out a few. Notes for their stuff.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:20 pm 

Any more suggestions anyone? :)

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:22 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
The new stuff is over the top aggressive, Nine Sins was really good instrument wise, but the vocals ruin it for most people. Here, have a listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3RbrbS-LtQ

Edit: one more rec, Nadiwrath's latest album, same vocalist as Dodsferd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7dIZFqMf58&t=67s

So would you say the 97-2007 releases by Besatt are all pretty solid?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:21 am 

^Black Mass, Sacrifice for Satan and Triumph of Antichrist were all pretty great for some "old school" black metal with some epic riffs and breakdowns. The first 3 albums are more straight forward, primitive and repetitive, Hellstorm is probably the best of those. If you like how those sound you should really check out some of the other bands though, like Dodsferd, Urgehal, Sad (Greece) and all the other good suggestions from the past couple pages, if you haven't yet. I know a lot of people on MA hate Besatt, they once sent me some signed albums for basically nothing, but apparently they aren't very nice to other people...

Also check out this EP by Orewoet, in vein of the darker sounding Sargeist or Sarkrista: https://heidenshart.bandcamp.com/album/afrodisiacum-der-vroomheid

Another one of my favorites from this year so far is the Sielunvihollinen it's just so fuckin groovy and unique with its guitar leads taking over most songs. Really haven't heard anything else like it in black metal: https://sielunvihollinen.bandcamp.com/album/ruhonkantaja

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:33 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
^Black Mass, Sacrifice for Satan and Triumph of Antichrist were all pretty great for some "old school" black metal with some epic riffs and breakdowns. The first 3 albums are more straight forward, primitive and repetitive, Hellstorm is probably the best of those. If you like how those sound you should really check out some of the other bands though, like Dodsferd, Urgehal, Sad (Greece) and all the other good suggestions from the past couple pages, if you haven't yet. I know a lot of people on MA hate Besatt, they once sent me some signed albums for basically nothing, but apparently they aren't very nice to other people...

Also check out this EP by Orewoet, in vein of the darker sounding Sargeist or Sarkrista: https://heidenshart.bandcamp.com/album/afrodisiacum-der-vroomheid

Another one of my favorites from this year so far is the Sielunvihollinen it's just so fuckin groovy and unique with its guitar leads taking over most songs. Really haven't heard anything else like it in black metal: https://sielunvihollinen.bandcamp.com/album/ruhonkantaja

Any more bands like Enthroned?

FuneralDeity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:07 am 

mike_87 wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

Any more bands like Enthroned?

Are you familiar with Ragnarok? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83bcT5Brks

You might enjoy In Battle if it's sheer speed you're after. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYuSbY_Lq0s

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:51 pm 

Anyone know any similar bands to Canada's Ephemer (other than the obvious recs in the similar artists tab like Forteresse, Csejthe, etc.)? Raw, melodic black metal with very estranged, but catchy sounding vocals mixed with some very cult sounding choir singing. I've been hard pressed to find anything similar for years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqsdG9XYOjc

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186 ... 231  Next