Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GhostlyGloom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:08 am 

LokiGoddess wrote:
I've decided to take a whack at symphonic black metal, but I honestly don't know where to start. I'm already familiar with Emperor, Limbonic Art, Troll, Tartaros and Summoning (if the last two are considered Symphonic Black Metal), so please avoid mentioning them. I prefer the more aggressive bands, please. No serene stuff. Also, the rawer the production the better. My thanks to anyone who can help with this vague request.

For me Ceremonial Castings from the US came to mind, they're aggressive (especially the vocals, his capabilities are limitless it seems with his shrieks and growls). They really captivate you with their relentless anger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jjeaxh_H-A

That's their song barbaric is the beast, it is also the title of one of their albums in which I suggest you take a look at. Along with their most recent album Salem 1692 great stuff.

I'd say Barbaric is the beast would be the intense album but they both have their moments. I've actually had to turn it off because it was just so mind boggling.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:17 am 

I second Ceremonial Castings. Wonderful band.

veilofblue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:51 pm 

I'm looking for really hateful black metal but that also has some kind of depressive feeling... probably something like Bathory's A Fine Day to Die.
Sorry if my description isn't very accurate, but thanks to anyone who helps.

SkullfulOfSludge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:09 pm 

I have another easier to answer question after this kind of odd, possibly stupid one...

:idea:
Is there any really good black metal that has been mixed and sold in 5.1 surround sound? I know that goes against the raw, lo-fi production most BM has but surely in this day and age there must be something like this. (If not BM, is there any death metal mixed in 5.1?)

veilofblue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:21 pm 

SkullfulOfSludge wrote:
I have another easier to answer question after this kind of odd, possibly stupid one...

:idea:
Is there any really good black metal that has been mixed and sold in 5.1 surround sound? I know that goes against the raw, lo-fi production most BM has but surely in this day and age there must be something like this. (If not BM, is there any death metal mixed in 5.1?)

xDDD I bet that's a lot harder to answer :D

jackwestjr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:42 pm 

Lyrici17 wrote:
I second Ceremonial Castings. Wonderful band.

I guess I'll third Ceremonial Castings as well. Barbaric is the Beast is one of the best albums I have ever heard. They truly are an excellent band.

SkullfulOfSludge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:28 pm 

Looking for non-Viking BM with a bit of an "ethnic"/"folk" vibe, like Melechesh, or to use a DM example, Nile.

Ohtar_Elenion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:59 pm 

You should try out Darkestrah, Negura Bunget and Martolea. The first one has Kyrgyz folk elements in it and is generaly awesome. The latter two hail from Romania and are some of the best atmospheric BM projects around.

hagelmand
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:26 pm 

I'm looking for "melancholic" sounding black metal, in the style of Forest Of Fog's Abgründe and the slower songs on Gorgoroth's new album. Nothing specific on production or lyrical content or language.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:21 pm 

SkullfulOfSludge wrote:
Looking for non-Viking BM with a bit of an "ethnic"/"folk" vibe, like Melechesh, or to use a DM example, Nile.

Ulver?

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:27 pm 

http://www.myspace.com/astriaal1
i cant belive i just discovered astriaal, their new song sounds epic reminds me of Sunn O))) in places

Ice_As_Steel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:58 pm 

SkullfulOfSludge wrote:

Skyforger and Loits both fit your description to a T.

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:18 pm 

This may be a vague request, but i'd hope you guys knew of black metal bands with melancholic melodies like these examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_qcExbQgyY (around 2:12 the melody starts, and around 3:17, another epic melody starts)

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UGxbt_kzm8 (the main, starting riff)

I am aware that a lot of black metal bands employs this kind of melodies, so i'd hope you could point some bands that use it a LOT. Yeah, i like my black metal with some bitter sugar, so what? Thanks in advance.

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:21 am 

Related to my previoues post, another example of what I want would be Mourning Forest debut, Au Cœur de l'Ombre. This album is incredibly... mournful.

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:57 am 

What do people think of the band Vesania from Poland? Just been checking them out and they're quite good.

pentalarc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:40 pm 

I'm thinking about re-familiarizing myself with black metal. I will openly and quickly admit, it's not my usual cup of tea. (My favorite metal genres are sludge, southern sludge, and stoner metal, the exact opposites in sound in a lot of ways.) However, I have always listened to all sorts of stuff, and it is time for me to give black metal another shot. I was turned off in the beginning by a couple of really bad bands, which, unfortunately, I cannot remember the names of right now. But, besides the fact that I don't like writing off a whole subgenre before I've fully explored it, I can also do black metal style vocals, and may at some point want to do something with it besides just use it to add on to my other vocal styles.

1) Please feel free to respond with stuff that you think might be too "obvious." I'm wanting to approach this as if I just heard of black metal

2) Please, no NSBM. I know I'm probably opening up a can of worms here, but, oh well.

Thanks in advance

Pentalarc

Ice_As_Steel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:11 pm 

The simplist route would be to aquaint yourself with the classics of the genre, lists of which can be found on this and every other website in existance.

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:27 pm 

It might help you to get into black metal if you do it the way I did: start with "black/something" bands. Necrophobic, Hate and later Unleashed are bands that helped me getting into general black metal. Also, if you like some punkish/hardcorish stuff, some Impaled Nazarene our later Darkthrone. And for some pretty fucked up mixed stuff, try some Anaal Nathrakh.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:35 pm 

Looking for sludgy black metal, like Alkerdeel. Basically lo-fi production (but good enough that you can hear everything), and a combination of fast black metal riffs (somtimes sludgy and somtimes almost droning, hypnotic and repetitive), and slower sludge/doom riffs.

Fimulvetr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:13 pm 

Hey gents. I'm looking for more black metal like Gorgoroth's "Carving a Giant," "Prayer," and "Incipit Satan" (the song not the album as a whole). I suppose what appeals to me is the more melodic aspects of the music, though I'd consider it a stretch to say the songs listed, outside of "Prayer," are very melodic. Any recommendations?

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:42 am 

This will sound like a broad request, I know, but I'm looking for black metal with very high pitched screams. Examples of what I'm looking for would be:

Hecate Enthroned: "The Slaughter of Innocence" or "Dark Requiems"
Cradle of Filth: "VEmpire"
Blood Stained Dusk: "Dirge of Death's Silence"

I'm not nuts about any of these bands, but can anyone recommend bands and albums that have vocals that sound like these bands? All three vocalists sound pretty similar on the albums mentioned above.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:11 pm 

I was gonna post a topic but, I guess this would be more fitting in this thread.

Are there any Watain worship bands out there? I absolutely adore this band's unique brand of black metal and would like to hear more bands with the elements that Watain incorporate into their music.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:43 pm 

MGSX666 wrote:
I was gonna post a topic but, I guess this would be more fitting in this thread.

Are there any Watain worship bands out there? I absolutely adore this band's unique brand of black metal and would like to hear more bands with the elements that Watain incorporate into their music.

Try this -

http://www.myspace.com/thulcandrametal

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:33 pm 

LokiGoddess wrote:
I've decided to take a whack at symphonic black metal, but I honestly don't know where to start. I'm already familiar with Emperor, Limbonic Art, Troll, Tartaros and Summoning (if the last two are considered Symphonic Black Metal), so please avoid mentioning them. I prefer the more aggressive bands, please. No serene stuff. Also, the rawer the production the better. My thanks to anyone who can help with this vague request.

The only that I can think of right now, well, I'm not sure if it can be considered as symphonic black metal. Orchestral and pagan black metal can be good descriptives too, so if you don't know them (him) yet, I'd suggest Hellveto. There's lots of "orchestration" and the sound leans more - thus the aforementioned sound - in the pagan metal category, everything has an almost melancholic sound (can't find the right word). The guy has a rather extensive discography which I'm not particularly knowledgeable, but from what I've heard, I'd recommend Zmierzch and then In the Glory of Heroes.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:54 pm 

STORMM wrote:
MGSX666 wrote:

Try this -

http://www.myspace.com/thulcandrametal

Wow exactly what I am looking for, thank you! I will be getting this when it comes out, it is pretty awesome that Steffen is already involving himself in other projects, he was a real cool guy when I met him.

I am still going to welcome Watain worship recs though :)
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

john1111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:31 am 

Can anyone recommend good raw, atmospheric black metal in the vein of Forgjord? Cheers

BlackenedThrasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:48 pm 

can anyone suggest any bands similar to Bone Awl? not similar as in Black/Punk but the low production sound & obscure sound similar to it (also similar to Mütiilation)

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:41 pm 

MGSX666 wrote:

on horns impaled haha!

ps.: that's not a joke, it's a real band.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:14 pm 

BlackenedThrasher wrote:
can anyone suggest any bands similar to Bone Awl? not similar as in Black/Punk but the low production sound & obscure sound similar to it (also similar to Mütiilation)

You will want to check out the rest of the LLN bands similar to Mutiilation, such as Vlad Tepes or Belketre.
Also, Satanic Warmaster is good black metal with low production quality, as are Bloodaxe and Bekhira. It's raw but definitely listenable. Moonblood would probably have to be my favorite band of this type though! Definitely check them out.

I also have a request of my own. I'd like something similar to And the Oceans Dream Eternal. "The Land Beyond the Sea" is pretty much the greatest thing I've ever heard, so any raw atmospheric black metal like that would be much appreciated. The main thing is the sheer atmosphere! The slight keyboards and very thick, noisy guitars are wonderful.
Thanks in advance!

CarroArmato91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:51 am 

I'm looking for thrashy BM like Destroyer666 and Bestial Mockery, any suggestions? ^_^
No, I really have crucified mallcore kids. It's what I do in my spare time.

It's true. Empyreal's post count - 1 for every slain mallcore marmite reject.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:52 am 

CarroArmato91 wrote:
I'm looking for thrashy BM like Destroyer666 and Bestial Mockery, any suggestions? ^_^

aura noir maybe?
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:27 am 

CarroArmato91 wrote:

Nifelheim, Gospel of the Horns.
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

iLamer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:36 am 

CarroArmato91 wrote:

Ketzer (Deu) sounds exactly like the Cold Steel album from Deströyer 666

CarroArmato91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:31 pm 

I already know Aura Noir, forgot to mention them.

Nifelheim are awesome, Gospel of the Horns are even better! Ketzer are good too, total D666 worship, even the voice is similar
No, I really have crucified mallcore kids. It's what I do in my spare time.

It's true. Empyreal's post count - 1 for every slain mallcore marmite reject.

BlackenedThrasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:05 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
BlackenedThrasher wrote:

You will want to check out the rest of the LLN bands similar to Mutiilation, such as Vlad Tepes or Belketre.
Also, Satanic Warmaster is good black metal with low production quality, as are Bloodaxe and Bekhira. It's raw but definitely listenable. Moonblood would probably have to be my favorite band of this type though! Definitely check them out.

thanks!
yea i heard some of the bands that were relate to Mutiilation like Vlad Tepes is pretty good and so is Belketre i love how they have some kind old style rock into it.
Satanic Warmaster is extremely great as well
i never heard of Bloodaxe or Bekhira i'm check them out
and indeed Moonblood is awesome as well

CarroArmato91 wrote:

try Deathhammer, they play pretty raw thrash with a mix of black into their mix just think Bathory & Slayer were to play together haha

Witchaven, is another good one similar to Kreator but a bit aggressive if you ask me

Toxic Holocaust, is pretty black/punk in term but a hint of thrash in his music

Bestial Holocaust, is another great one if you like Bestial Mockery then you would like them a bit more black metal

Witching Hour & Cruel Force are also great pretty raw aggressive black thrash with harsh vocals they kind of play similar to each other

should also check out Abigail from Japan they play some really raw black thrash

GrimSleaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:10 pm 

My brother has recently been getting into bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Forest Stream, and Agalloch. I want to get him into other black metal bands but he is Christian and most of the music I have that isnt Satanic or overly dark in nature I have already given him. Can you reccomend me some black metal in any subgenre that has themes about nature and maybe death/sadness but not so far as reaching Satanic or anti christian vibes? Hopefully I can bust his christcherry but I don't want to be an obvious douchebag about it.

BlackenedThrasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:36 pm 

GrimSleaper wrote:
My brother has recently been getting into bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Forest Stream, and Agalloch. I want to get him into other black metal bands but he is Christian and most of the music I have that isnt Satanic or overly dark in nature I have already given him. Can you reccomend me some black metal in any subgenre that has themes about nature and maybe death/sadness but not so far as reaching Satanic or anti christian vibes? Hopefully I can bust his christcherry but I don't want to be an obvious douchebag about it.

should check out Skagos. pretty similar to Agalloch they talk about nature and life.
You can also try 'Unblack' Metal which talks about Christianity and such just FYI

GrimSleaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:50 pm 

BlackenedThrasher wrote:
GrimSleaper wrote:

should check out Skagos. pretty similar to Agalloch they talk about nature and life.
You can also try 'Unblack' Metal which talks about Christianity and such just FYI

My roommate found some of that stuff by chance. He called it "white metal" the band he played for me seemed to be a joke band with songs like "invert the inverted cross." but if there are good bands out there i'll have to send them off to my bro and see if he likes em.

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:13 pm 

john1111 wrote:
Can anyone recommend good raw, atmospheric black metal in the vein of Forgjord? Cheers

You might like Eljudner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fls7gWw9 ... re=related

Grimburg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfph67o7TMQ

Bilskirnir:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVHvfl1qEy8

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:46 pm 

CarroArmato91 wrote:

Sauron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKGQgCgp ... re=related

Also, here's another thread with some suggestions:

http://metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=66702

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 231  Next