Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:06 am 

I'm looking for numerous bm bands that have incredible, beautiful MELODY in their music! I'm not searching for anything close to Limbonic Art. I've heard that Hellenic bands have melody within their music but I haven't been able to find any good bm with melody. Any recs would be great.

gravlagtieljudne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:47 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I'm looking for numerous bm bands that have incredible, beautiful MELODY in their music! I'm not searching for anything close to Limbonic Art. I've heard that Hellenic bands have melody within their music but I haven't been able to find any good bm with melody. Any recs would be great.

Ancient Rites from Belgium, especially the more recent albums, pure class. For hellenic bands, maybe The Elysian Fields. These bands are not pure black metal, but you'd might be surprised by their talent.

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:48 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Well, I don't know very much about hellenic black metal, so I will state the obvious: Rotting Christ have a lot of melody going through their shit, although their shit might be shit for people who think that experimentation is shit, can you understand this shit?

That being said, past hellenic black metal, there's a LOT of melody in the genre, possibly the most beautiful, non-obvious, non-mediocre melodies I have ever listened came through BM bands.

From the top of my head:

Immortal - Sons Of The Northern Darkness ( In My Kingdom Cold is absurdely beautiful)

"Sognametal" bands, like Windir, Mistur, Ulcus, Stygir, and the likes, are fully equiped with melodic, yet viking-hairy balls. Windir is one of my all time favorite bands. Since we are at it, R.I.P. Valfar.

Arckanum's new album, "ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ" (everytime I tell someone about this album personaly, I just put my tongue out) is probably one of my favourite black metal albuns from this decade. Fucking masterpiece.

Then comes that nameless black metal sub-genre (the troo people from within the sewers call it "hipster black metal"). Bands like Agalloch, Alcest, Lantlos, Heretoir, Coldworld, Lifelover, and a enormous bunch of bands that appeared in the last years in the same vein, most of them have melody that should suit your request.

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:23 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Besides the already mentioned Rotting Christ you'll also want Varathron's first two full-lengths.

A bunch of early Swedish bands should suffice as well. Try Sacramentum's first mcd and debut album, Sorhin's early stuff, Setherial's first album and absolutely everything by Arckanum.

Hell, just sticking with Norwegian black metal should give you a bunch of bands focusing on intricate melody like early Gorgoroth, Taake's first three albums, anything by Kampfar, Forgotten Woods' entire discography and Kvist's lone album.

A focus on melody is one of the cornerstones of second wave black metal, so it shouldn't be too hard to come across acts that excel in it.

Just thought of some more; Everything by Belenos and Blut aus Nord's first two albums as well as their most recent one.

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:34 pm 

Winterkald wrote:
Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
For atmospheric black metal, i cannot recomment Chaos Moon enough. Also Coldworld, Enmerkar, Grim Funeral, Lunar Aurora, Nox Inferi, and Walknut. These are some of my personal favorites.

Coldworld and Lunar Aurora are seconded. Another (standard) recommendation is Darkspace or Drudkh. Or Agalloch (their first album is the most BM). I also suggest 'Drowning the Light' (check out 'An Alignment of Dead Stars'). Blazebirth hall are also good. Minimalistic BM from russia, check out: Forest - Like a Blaze Above the Ashes (but really the first four albums), Branikald their first six albums and Raven Dark their first two albums. I can go on for a while but I think you're busy enough now as it is, haha.

And Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast. HIGHLY recommended!!!

EDIT: And also 'The Ruins of Beverast'. You should just buy all three album blind, but just check them out. Listen to the albums in chronological order. 'Rain Upon the Impure' is the best. You will have to get past the, what seems to be the first time you listen to it after their debut, shitty production. Pure brilliance!!!!

In addition to all this I'd also like to mention Verdunkeln; huge, stomping, psychedelic, German black metal from the same scene as Ruins of Beverast and Lunar Aurora.

Also check out Sun of the Blind's Skullreader, a project from one of the Darkspace guys. Epic, dark and atmospheric as hell.

Zarrix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:28 am 

Will look at the Atmospheric black metal recommended here. Thanks :D

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:52 am 

Jumping on the atmospheric black metal suggestions, I'm looking for that style of music (doesn't necessarily have to be atmospheric, although it helps) where a CD is made up of 1-5 long tracks, often sharing a theme throughout. Examples would be Lunar Aurora's "Zyklus", Moonsorrow's "Verisaekeet" and "V: Haviettety", Deathspell Omega's "Kenose" and "Chaining the Katechon" and Drudkh's first few records.

Thanks!

~Guest 231199
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:37 am 

I need to listen to bands like Fallen Christ. They have a really evil sound, i think there perfect for black metal, but they do have some death metal influence.

If you're not fimilar with them - here are few links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7xLoXkIjMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRrtapSy4o0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLTcf_AYkS8

http://www.myspace.com/abductionritual - more songs found on this fan site.

Any suggestions of bands similar to FC?

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:32 pm 

Noobie666 wrote:
I need to listen to bands like Fallen Christ. They have a really evil sound, i think there perfect for black metal, but they do have some death metal influence.

If you're not fimilar with them - here are few links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7xLoXkIjMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRrtapSy4o0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLTcf_AYkS8

http://www.myspace.com/abductionritual - more songs found on this fan site.

Any suggestions of bands similar to FC?

Blasphemy:
http://panzergoat.blogspot.com/search/l ... 0Blasphemy

Martire - ST EP:
http://rapidshare.com/files/399948149/M ... __AUS_.rar

Blood - Impulse To Destroy:
http://panzergoat.blogspot.com/2010/06/ ... 9-ger.html

If you like any of the above let me know and I'll give you some more war/death classics.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:15 pm 

I'm listening to Paysage D'Hiver's self-titled demo at the moment and really enjoying it, is there anything out there like it? Can be another Paysage release or a release from another band. Keyboards and violins is not required.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:24 pm 

You should check out Neige et Noirceur- "L'Abîme Des Jours, L'Écume Des Nuits", very cold wintery black metal and ambient.
I'm not too familiar with Paysage d'Hiver though, so it may not be quite what you are looking for...

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:48 pm 

Either way, thanks! I'll check it out right away.

Other recommendations will be appreciated too!

Last.fm

______
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:04 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
I'm listening to Paysage D'Hiver's self-titled demo at the moment and really enjoying it, is there anything out there like it? Can be another Paysage release or a release from another band. Keyboards and violins is not required.

If you haven't already heard of Velvet Cacoon, they are worth checking out, despite their somewhat dubious history. Also Wrath of the Weak, is another good band similar to Paysage d'Hiver.

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:06 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:

Vinterriket.

Darkspace - It's Paysage D'Hiver's later project which is excellent.

Trist (Germany) - Get the album 'Hin - Fort' and listen to the track 'Hin'. 1 hour of sound that will space the fuck out of you.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:50 pm 

Im looking for Black Metal similar to....

Marduks Wormwood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL8WWm7E_Bo

Dark Fortress Eidolon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUMf5NKQ ... re=related

Not interested in 2nd wave BM or Raw production.

Good production, slower tempo, slight experimentation, and less black-ish sounding vocals

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:27 pm 

samrit86 wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:

Vinterriket.

Trist (Germany) - Get the album 'Hin - Fort' and listen to the track 'Hin'. 1 hour of sound that will space the fuck out of you.

Already know Trist and Darkspace. Could you recommend something by Vinterriket?

Last.fm

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:44 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
samrit86 wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:

Vinterriket.

Try the 'Gebirgshohenstille' or 'Solens rötter' album.

A few other bands. Sieghetnar. Get the album 'Erhabenheit'. Only 1 track though and it's really amazing. Just over 33 minutes long.

Fauna - 'Rain' album. 63 minutes long, 1 track album. Get this one too.

Both Sieghetnar and Fauna have really got me going 'Woah'. Brilliant stuffs.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:46 am 

Alright thanks, I'll check it out asap.

Last.fm

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:03 am 

samrit86 wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:
samrit86 wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:

Vinterriket.

Try the 'Gebirgshohenstille' or 'Solens rötter' album.

A few other bands. Sieghetnar. Get the album 'Erhabenheit'. Only 1 track though and it's really amazing. Just over 33 minutes long.

Fauna - 'Rain' album. 63 minutes long, 1 track album. Get this one too.

Both Sieghetnar and Fauna have really got me going 'Woah'. Brilliant stuffs.

Non of those bands really did it for me.. Guess I'm looking for more raw and fast black metal, like Paysage D'Hiver's "Welt Aus Eis".. Sorry for being so vague.

Another request: Looking for something in the vein of Nocternity's "Onyx", cold black metal that's both cold and epic but also raw and fast.

Last.fm

darknecrotic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:30 pm 

Looking for two things:

A black metal band that has similar distorted bass like on Mayhem's Deathcrush

and...

Good depressive/suicidal black metal that's not overly distorted.. with good production perhaps similar to Silencer's Death - Pierce Me

Thanks in advance..

Fialkinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:54 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

No:
* Unbeing - Deathwards; into unlight
* Tåke - Hordalands dodskvad I & II
Mayhem - De mysteriis dom satanas
Throne of kataris - The Darkest Path
* Gorgoroth - Profetens Åpenbaring
Myrkgrav - Trollskau, Skrømt Og Kølabrenning (mixed with folk)
DarkThrone - Quintessence
Burzum - Jesus' Tod.

Sve:
Anhedonia - Nattvardsgästerna & Dies Irae
* Thy primordial - Tronad av natten
Svartr strijd - daa de sista dropparna blod levrats paa min handled
Hypothermia - Melankoli
Pest - Lifit es Daudafaerd
Woods Of Infinity - Piskar Ut Mitt Hat
Ondskapt - Djävulens Ande
Sorhin - i det glimrande morkrets djup & i fullmanens dystra_sken

Ge:
* Bethlehem - Dorn meiner Allmacht
* Infaust - Verloren in Hoffnungslosigkeit
Infaust - Sterbend kam in Ewigkeit
Inhuman Hata - Eisiges Grab
Suicide Solution - Void

US:

leviathan - Those slimy things
Through the pain - Inner oppression

Pol:
Ohtar - Fog imbued with the smell of death & Insomnia

* = very recommended

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:14 am 

I think you meant to put Through the Pain in the Ge category.

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:51 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Do you mean that you've searched and didn't find, or you haven't searched at all? Anyways, there are plenty of recs, such as: Deviser; Unspeakable Cults is a fucking masterpiece, Astral Aeon; I own Allegories of Light and you may find some elements of what you're looking for in that release, Macabre Omen; a descent band which may fullfull your request (check without a doubt their split with Walhalla), Necromantia (of course); there're no words to express the feeling of two basses playing, Zemial; really good dude, In Monumentum is an amazing album!

edit: I'm looking really bad for bands or releases close to Dodsferd's and Nadiwrath's. Pleaseeeeeee =)

InSearchOfThe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:03 am 

Looking for some symphonic black metal similar to Limbonic Art's Ad Noctum Dynasty of Death and Ceremonial Castings Barbaric is the Beast.

Vocals I'm rather picky about, the vocalist needs to be at least somewhat understandable and not use a single linear shriek for the entire album. Clean vocals are an added bonus!

Production needs to be at least the level of Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse, and preferably not impeccably clean (but that isn't a must).

Examples:

LA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnCvFIsOIa4
CC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbfU-_6Om4

I've already been recommended these bands: HERMH, Anorexia Nervosa, Alghazanth, and Blood Stained Dusk.

I hope I'm not being too specific, and thanks in advance :D

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:25 pm 

Right. I am looking for some more raw, unpolished, repetitive, trance-inducing and Satanic Black Metal in the vein of Matricide - Holy Virgin, which is an extension (obviously) of the classic Transilvanian Hunger. No over-the-top screechy vocals a la Silencer and the horrible Sterbend, and it has to be good. I don't care if it sounds generic, so long as it has the characteristics that I have mentioned.

I am also not looking for something that has such an underproduced sound that you can't make anything out of it, but something that is still abrasive yet powerful, with actual song-writing instead of a bunch of riffs mashed together.

Any help here will be appreciated.

My collection

GrimSleaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:24 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Right. I am looking for some more raw, unpolished, repetitive, trance-inducing and Satanic Black Metal in the vein of Matricide - Holy Virgin, which is an extension (obviously) of the classic Transilvanian Hunger. No over-the-top screechy vocals a la Silencer and the horrible Sterbend, and it has to be good. I don't care if it sounds generic, so long as it has the characteristics that I have mentioned.

I am also not looking for something that has such an underproduced sound that you can't make anything out of it, but something that is still abrasive yet powerful, with actual song-writing instead of a bunch of riffs mashed together.

Any help here will be appreciated.

I too am interested in this recommendation. I do have one specific album that applies to this request though which is Ragnarok's album Diabolic Age. It is quite raw with repetitive yet catchy riffs and Satanic lyrical themes. My favorite song on the album is Heart of Satan. Their newest release is good as well but is not quite as raw or repetative. I would provide youtube material but I cannot while using a workstation computer.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:02 am 

BURlAL wrote:

Marduks Wormwood

Dark Fortress Eidolon

Good production, slower tempo, slight experimentation, and less black-ish sounding vocals

Astriaal might be what your looking for(new stuff)

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:33 pm 

A few old requests I made got no real responses, so I'll put em up again. Would appreciate any help.

Firstly, looking for stuff similar to Drudkh's "Forgotten Legends". Hypnotic, repetitive black metal that's beautiful. Not depressive, but atmospheric and easy to space out to. Already know the obvious ones: Walknut, Wodensthrone, Negură Bunget...

Also looking for black/sludge metal like Alkerdeel. Basically it needs the occult atmosphere, raw production, and repetitive black metal riffs combined with the sludgier (almost crusty) parts on some Alkerdeel songs.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:41 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
BURlAL wrote:

Marduks Wormwood

Dark Fortress Eidolon

Astriaal might be what your looking for(new stuff)

From what I can hear on youtube it sounds good. Thanks.

SkullfulOfSludge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:06 pm 

I'm looking for some BM with big a big sound. By this I mean, when I put it on a nice stereo or headphones I will feel utterly surrounded and engulfed by the sound.

Edit: preferably something I can buy relatively easily in North America.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:23 pm 

First thing that came to mind was Wolves in the Throne Room's "Two Hunters". Check out the song "I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots".

Last.fm

SkullfulOfSludge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:35 pm 

Yeah I know WitTR but thanks anyhow. I'd ideally have something with a minimum of ambient interludes. Atmospheric vibe in an intro to the album is cool, but the problem I have with Two Hunters is it goes chill ambient song -> intense black metal -> chill intro -> intense black metal -> intense black metal.

Looking for something with more consecutive black metal.

VindictiveSecondSoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:11 am 

sup, im looking for stuff thats really creepy and evil sounding, sort of semi- atmostpheric

like blackcrowned.

stuff like blockcrowned...

any recs?

GrimSleaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:19 am 

VindictiveSecondSoul wrote:
sup, im looking for stuff thats really creepy and evil sounding, sort of semi- atmostpheric

like blackcrowned.

stuff like blockcrowned...

any recs?

Not sure what blackcrowned sound like but I am going to give you a few recs based on your description.

http://www.last.fm/music/MDP
Band number one on the page. Their one release "Emptiness" is pretty good.

http://www.last.fm/music/Darkspace?ac=Darkspace
Definetly a band worth checking out. They use a space/void theme that creates an excellent emotionless atmosphere. Repetitive depressive/atmospheric BM.

http://www.last.fm/music/Lurker+of+Chalice
Lurker of Chalice S/T
Great evil atmospheric BM from the creator of Leviathan.

Also, if you are wondering why, I am not giving MA page links because I don't know how.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:08 am 

SkullfulOfSludge wrote:
I'm looking for some BM with big a big sound. By this I mean, when I put it on a nice stereo or headphones I will feel utterly surrounded and engulfed by the sound.

I will suggest some Nightbringer. This is about as engulfing as it gets. Massive, huge fucking black cathedrals of abyssic chaos. Has a few little interludes, though, and is relatively easy to get a hold of.

Turn out the lights, lie down and up the volume.

My collection

VindictiveSecondSoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:01 am 

def liked lurker of chalice

still looking for evil sounding atmospheric stuff. never can have too much.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:14 am 

VindictiveSecondSoul wrote:
def liked lurker of chalice

still looking for evil sounding atmospheric stuff. never can have too much.

Evil sounding atmospheric metal, you will not go wrong with the fantastic Evilfeast from Poland. Raw sounding black metal with wonderful ambient sounding keyboard sections.

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:44 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
SkullfulOfSludge wrote:

I will suggest some Nightbringer. This is about as engulfing as it gets. Massive, huge fucking black cathedrals of abyssic chaos. Has a few little interludes, though, and is relatively easy to get a hold of.

Turn out the lights, lie down and up the volume.

This is excellent. I'd also like to add the obligatory Darkspace/Sun of the Blind reccomendations. They instantly reminded me of these two bands. Atmospheric, huge sound. Also, Lunar Aurora's Andacht might be good too.

I'm interested in CrushedRevelation's inquiry, and I vouch for it as well.

Reborn_Satanist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:21 am 

I'm looking for something like <code>'s 'Resplendent Grotesque' - really atmospheric BM-ish stuff that's quite catchy at the same time. Any help?

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:08 pm 

Reborn_Satanist wrote:
I'm looking for something like <code>'s 'Resplendent Grotesque' - really atmospheric BM-ish stuff that's quite catchy at the same time. Any help?

Walknut.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 231  Next