Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:55 pm 

Due to the “no posts exist” bug that has plagued the previous BM Help Thread for a while now, here is the new Black Metal Help Thread.

Try and be as specific as possible with your requests (give examples if you can), and put some thought into your replies if you’re recommending anything.

Here is a link to the Metal Archives’ Top 100 Black Metal Albums survey results: http://rateyourmusic.com/board_message/message_id_is_1191962.
This list is a great place to start for anyone getting into black metal, and it may save you a future request or two.

Last edited by Snowgrave on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:16 am 

Need some help with Gontyna Kry...

Krew Naszych Ojcow - 2001
"Re-released as digiCD in 2008 with english title "The Blood of Our Fathers"."

The Blood of Our Fathers - 2008

That sounds like its the same album... yet the song lengths are all different. Plus the one review for the 2008 album states:

"extreme contrasts of the raw guitars, kind-of-overused keyboards and distant shrieks of their 2001 album and this 2008 death-metal-ish piece of music"

Is this a reinterpretation of the 2001 album or different altogether?

Im also looking for a CD version of Welowie if anybody knows a distro.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:53 pm 

CircleovZaphyan wrote:
Im also looking for a CD version of Welowie if anybody knows a distro.

OldLegend Productions' webshop carries it: http://www.shop.oldlegend.eu/

Ice_As_Steel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:56 pm 

Did you download it? Could always have gotten a bogus fake.

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:55 pm 

Ahh thanks for this thread. And for the top 100 list too.

I can't get why Silencer is placed so low.. should have been number one! :P

UnderAFrozenMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:23 am 

samrit86 wrote:

Silencer is deffinetly....interesting haha
I think Sterbend is much better though but thats just me :)

glyndwr_2002
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:29 am 

For new (as in recently released) black metal that stays somewhat traditional yet is absolutely phenomenal, I recommend:

Aldaaron - Nous Reviendrons Immortels
Celestia - Frigidis Apotheosia (Abstinencia Genesiis)
Torment - Without Gods Blessing
The Beast of the Apocalypse - A Voice From the Four Horns of the Golden Altar

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:28 am 

UnderAFrozenMoon wrote:
samrit86 wrote:

They are. Go read the album review in this site. Everyone except 2 morons decided to give 95-100 ratings.

Matty_The_Emo_Slayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:11 am 

glyndwr_2002 wrote:
For new (as in recently released) black metal that stays somewhat traditional yet is absolutely phenomenal, I recommend:

Couldn't agree more on that one, brilliant album. Could anyone in this thread tell me if the new Celestia album is up to the same scratch or not? I haven't heard it yet unfortunately.

http://www.metalireland.com/miwiki/inde ... Blaze_Zine

glyndwr_2002
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:08 pm 

Matty_The_Emo_Slayer wrote:
glyndwr_2002 wrote:

Couldn't agree more on that one, brilliant album. Could anyone in this thread tell me if the new Celestia album is up to the same scratch or not? I haven't heard it yet unfortunately.

Listening to it now, and I believe it sure is.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:44 am 

http://www.myspace.com/woodofsuicides
that band is pretty good

Ice_As_Steel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:38 pm 

Sounds like they got their name from a recent Ghost Rider story.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:49 am 

samrit86 wrote:
UnderAFrozenMoon wrote:
samrit86 wrote:

They are. Go read the album review in this site. Everyone except 2 morons decided to give 95-100 ratings.

Have and even own the album, and I could not agree more with the two who actually called a spade a spade. It does in no way deserve more than a high 60's, unless, of course you're one of those who thinks Varg is a god, and then you will be naturally biased. It just really isn't that good.

My collection

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:41 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
samrit86 wrote:
UnderAFrozenMoon wrote:
samrit86 wrote:

Have and even own the album, and I could not agree more with the two who actually called a spade a spade. It does in no way deserve more than a high 60's, unless, of course you're one of those who thinks Varg is a god, and then you will be naturally biased. It just really isn't that good.

Heh then we shall agree to disagree.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:43 am 

No, I am actually correct.

My collection

darknecrotic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:23 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

hahhahaha

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:40 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

And I disagree. 10 out of 12 people had excellent reviews says something. And one of the moron (who gave bad reviews) actually said : " By now you are probably fairly curious. Why did I give this such a low rating, yet praise almost every aspect of it? The answer is simple, the vocals. Yes, they really are that bad. " Really??

Before you say anything, I'm not saying that I hate bad reviews or anything like that. But why the fuck would someone give only 30% because of their vocals are 'bad'? And they're not bad. The only ones I see can come close to Nattramn's vocals are Mario Milette (RIP), Skjeld and Typhon. And in this genre you cannot expect Celine Dion's voice. It's DSBM. The vocals should be like that.

Last edited by samrit86 on Sun May 09, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:09 pm 

Wait, what? Sterbender vocals are some of the most awesome I have found through my still juvenile jorney through BM.

I would like to know if thee are any bands similar to the very specific kind of symphonic BM played by Carach Angren. I find them absolutely fascinating, as the instruments aren't just there for the sake of being there, but to create that haunting narrative of wich I find no parallel.

bishun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:07 pm 

I'm diving back into black metal, and while I can appreciate a bit of every sub-sub style within BM one group that I can't stop listening to is Wormsblood, the group out of Wisconsin. I guess they are labeled as outsider black metal, maybe even "bedroom."

I'm at a loss to describe their sound, they have what I feel to be kind of the lo-fi complete package I enjoyed on their release "In The Stars" and I've enjoyed every release since then.

There's some thrash, there's early-metal riffs, dirty and broken vocals, quick solos. Then you have their ambient leanings with field recordings and very atmospheric samples, and odd growls. I think they are kind of hard to nail down, which might be why I like it so much. If you're not familiar with them, you can stream their tracks here: http://www.myspace.com/wormsblood

Listening to the first three or four tracks on their Myspace should be enough to get idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and feel free to suggest what might seem to be "obvious" (to you) choices; after all I haven't listened to black metal my whole life.

Some comparisons that I have already checked out include: Armanenschaft, Blood of the Black Owl, and The True Werwolf. I REALLY enjoyed The True Werwolf stuff, the other two I haven't delved deep enough into.

AuldAnxiety
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:21 pm 

bishun wrote:
I'm diving back into black metal, and while I can appreciate a bit of every sub-sub style within BM one group that I can't stop listening to is Wormsblood, the group out of Wisconsin. I guess they are labeled as outsider black metal, maybe even "bedroom."

I'm at a loss to describe their sound, they have what I feel to be kind of the lo-fi complete package I enjoyed on their release "In The Stars" and I've enjoyed every release since then.

There's some thrash, there's early-metal riffs, dirty and broken vocals, quick solos. Then you have their ambient leanings with field recordings and very atmospheric samples, and odd growls. I think they are kind of hard to nail down, which might be why I like it so much. If you're not familiar with them, you can stream their tracks here: http://www.myspace.com/wormsblood

Listening to the first three or four tracks on their Myspace should be enough to get idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and feel free to suggest what might seem to be "obvious" (to you) choices; after all I haven't listened to black metal my whole life.

Some comparisons that I have already checked out include: Armanenschaft, Blood of the Black Owl, and The True Werwolf. I REALLY enjoyed The True Werwolf stuff, the other two I haven't delved deep enough into.

Can't say I've come across anything quite like this band. Not quite sure why, but the spazzier bits made me think of Katharsis. They aren't really alike, but you might appreciate them.

http://www.myspace.com/katharsis66

AuldAnxiety
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:26 pm 

You should also check out Peste Noire if you haven't heard them. There are a number of tracks on Youtube.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 am 

So I'm at somewhat of a loss here trying to find new(or old) artists who sound like Moonblood, Ulver's Nattens Madrigal early Mutiilation/ Vlad Tepes, Bone Awl, Von, and anything of this sort with ugly Punk styled riffs, poor production and stuff bordering Power Electronics such as Swordfuck, Hatjan, and Cabaret for Bereaved. I'm not to much on the whole satanism thing but think of nihilism, war, catacombs, goat sacrifice and sodomy!

Note I'm very well aware of larger acts, so lets stick to lesser known stuff if possible

Ice_As_Steel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:47 am 

Myself is dead on for power electronics influence. Emit is in the running. I know there are more I know as I looked for stuff like this a while back, but I can't remember them atm. Will ring ye up if they come back.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:29 am 

samrit86 wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:

And I disagree. 10 out of 12 people had excellent reviews says something. And one of the moron (who gave bad reviews) actually said : " By now you are probably fairly curious. Why did I give this such a low rating, yet praise almost every aspect of it? The answer is simple, the vocals. Yes, they really are that bad. " Really??

Before you say anything, I'm not saying that I hate bad reviews or anything like that. But why the fuck would someone give only 30% because of their vocals are 'bad'? And they're not bad. The only ones I see can come close to Nattramn's vocals are Mario Milette (RIP), Skjeld and Typhon. And in this genre you cannot expect Celine Dion's voice. It's DSBM. The vocals should be like that.

It's just a matter of opinion, really, so no one is correct. And no, the vocals should not be like that. The vocals on that Silencer album are rather unique. I like the vocals now; they suit the album. But he sounds like he is:

-Either attention whoring. Like a goddamn whining kid with his infantile scream.
-Either a fucking lunatic, a mental patiënt in some pychiatric institution. Locked up in a isolation cell in a straitjacket, desperately screaming and talking to himself. Pure insanity.

He succeeds in both these ways.
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

Ohtar_Elenion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:41 pm 

Could you direct me to some good French BM that has rawer production and long repetitive yet memorable slow to mid-tempo riffs?

Examples of what I have enjoyed:

Vociferian's Beredsamkeit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpRehIRM8s4

Nehemah's Requiem Tenebrae http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Q1mMpYiQY

vince148
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:11 pm 

Could anyone recommend some good Atmospheric and/or Greek Black Metal considering i like bands such as:

Rotting Christ (2 first releases)
Varathron
Necromantia
Agatus
Vinterland
Sacramentum
Dissection

Thanks.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:23 pm 

vince148 wrote:
Could anyone recommend some good Atmospheric and/or Greek Black Metal considering i like bands such as:

Varathron
Necromantia
Agatus
Vinterland
Sacramentum
Dissection

Thanks.

Legion of Doom, Stuffhof (now Acherontas), Nocternity. Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but still good greek BM.
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

chan5586
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:53 pm 

Just recently bought Marduk's "Wormwood" on a whim, and I'm really enjoying it. First foray into the band, and it's quickly become one of my fave BM albums.

Any other bands with this sound? More specifically the mix of the furious blasty bits with slower, doomier sections, especially within the same song.
And catchy, memorable riffs, plus good production are a plus.

(I'm somewhat surprised, because I always thought Marduk had a reputation as a pure speed/blast BM band, but this album is much catchier than I thought it would be)

For example, my 2 favorite tracks are "Phosphourus Redeemer" and "To Redirect Perdition", to give a better feeling of what I'm looking for.

Oh, and I plan on checking out their back catalouge, so don't rec any other Marduk albums. And besides the "classics" and a smattering of other albums, I don't own that much BM, so fire at will.

GrimSleaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:06 pm 

chan5586 wrote:
Just recently bought Marduk's "Wormwood" on a whim, and I'm really enjoying it. First foray into the band, and it's quickly become one of my fave BM albums.

Any other bands with this sound? More specifically the mix of the furious blasty bits with slower, doomier sections, especially within the same song.
And catchy, memorable riffs, plus good production are a plus.

(I'm somewhat surprised, because I always thought Marduk had a reputation as a pure speed/blast BM band, but this album is much catchier than I thought it would be)

For example, my 2 favorite tracks are "Phosphourus Redeemer" and "To Redirect Perdition", to give a better feeling of what I'm looking for.

Oh, and I plan on checking out their back catalouge, so don't rec any other Marduk albums. And besides the "classics" and a smattering of other albums, I don't own that much BM, so fire at will.

You should check out the obligatory Funeral Mist's latest album Maranatha. Mortuus did this album between work on Rom:12 and Wormwood and it nearly mirrors Marduk's current progression towards the sound you described.

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:56 am 

Ohtar_Elenion wrote:
Could you direct me to some good French BM that has rawer production and long repetitive yet memorable slow to mid-tempo riffs?

Examples of what I have enjoyed:

Vociferian's Beredsamkeit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpRehIRM8s4

Nehemah's Requiem Tenebrae http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Q1mMpYiQY

Get Blut Aus Nord's Memoria Vetusta 1: Fathers of the Icy Age.

Then update yourself with their release.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:19 am 

Ice_As_Steel wrote:
Myself is dead on for power electronics influence. Emit is in the running. I know there are more I know as I looked for stuff like this a while back, but I can't remember them atm. Will ring ye up if they come back.

Thanks, Myself led me to find some excellent bands! Just what I was looking for.

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:56 am 

vince148 wrote:

Varathron
Necromantia
Agatus
Vinterland
Sacramentum
Dissection

Thanks.

Some hellenic bm stuff:
-I second Acherontas (ex-Stutthof) both releases; Tam Tvan Asi and Theosis. If you like them, have a look on their splits with Necromantia and Leviathan. There are gems hidden in there.
-Also, check out Zemial. You are going to love In Monumentum without a doubt. Both harsh and clean vocals are amazing, the composition is just epic and the whole atmosphere reminds you a bit of Quorthon's early and later era.
-I don't know if you can have access on Gospel of Grief's new album, Our Symbol Is Death. There are two or three tracks uploaded on YouTube and on their myspace official page (= http://www.myspace.com/gospelofgrief), but you can get nothing of them if you don't have the whole album. The vocals, the riffs, the blast-beats are just amazing. Here sings Kaidas from Naer Mataron, too.
-A real gem are Deviser and their album Unspeakable Cults. First time listening to them, I was like 5 minutes with opened mouth. "What the fuck was that???", was my reaction. Awesome melodies, awesome riffing, and for god's shake you CAN listen to the bass, which is not two or three notes. Vocals are really good, too.

Some atmospheric bm stuff
-You should have a look on Ravencult's Temples of Torment. This band creates a so dark, cold, introvert atmosphere, like the old one (Norway, 20 years back).
-Also, hungarian bm band Bornholm is great. Easy riffs, not something special (vocals, bass, drums), but the feeling is unbelievable. Low paced bm with awesome lyrics, which travels you far far away with its atmosphere.

mckickflip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:42 pm 

Would anyone be so kind as to recommend atmospheric black metal in the vein of Neige & Noirceur or Moon (Aus)? I've been listening to Neige & Noirceur over and over again but I have yet to find a band that is quite similar to him.

It's hard to describe, but I'll try: lots of very, very fast drum machine beats over slow/mid-paced black metal, often with multiple keyboards and a lot of reverb. Lots of long and drawn out songs. I hesitate to say "epic" because that implies a whole lot of things I'm not looking for but I guess it has a certain epic quality to it.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:44 pm 

I'm looking for really aggressive black metal with lots of blastbeats, any recs?
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:56 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
I'm looking for really aggressive black metal with lots of blastbeats, any recs?

Marduk. Especially World Funeral.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:56 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:

Maybe I.C.E?

http://www.myspace.com/imperialcrystallineentombment

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:14 pm 

Thanks, I'll look into those two. Feel free to recommend more stuff :)
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:20 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:

Marduk. Especially Panzer Division Marduk.

Editted ;) .

Also, be sure to check out Thunderbolt.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:25 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Thanks, I'll look into those two. Feel free to recommend more stuff :)

Also try some of 1349's and Dark Funeral's work.

iLamer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:31 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:

Infernal War

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91pBjzp3hbo

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 231  Next