Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:35 am 

Syntek wrote:

I too look for a similar style of black metal to this, and have been for a while now.
In terms of being sonically "massive" or deep (in the Angelic Process sense of the word) I'd check out:

(From 1:00 onwards especially)

(From 5:30 onwards especially)

I dunno if it's what you're looking for songwriting-wise, but certainly production-wise it should hopefully fit your criteria.

These are killer recommendations, I definitely have a similar taste. Anything thing else you can suggest along those melodic/atmospheric lines?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:55 am 

Titenis wrote:
obviously Burzum is my first option..nothing else?i'm not very competent in black metal music...ask to expert in this thread is the best solution..no french stuff of legions noirs i don't like

Behexen - 6.6.6. is one such thing, but I don't think there are many bands that specifically play that type of thing.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:11 am 

Does anyone know of any black metal bands that utilize a sort of bass drop like in these songs

Preferably something similar to Marduk but I'm not going to be too picky about it

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:46 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Does anyone know of any black metal bands that utilize a sort of bass drop like in these songs

Preferably something similar to Marduk but I'm not going to be too picky about it

Armagedda has a prominent bass and, while my speakers here suck and I don't hear the bass all that well, I could swear this has a bass drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU3AUTThiWE

Also, don't really have the time to sift through the album, but I think there's some on Shining's V- Halmstad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE4_BvbT0Ag

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:55 am 

Anyone know what's going on with Katharsis from Germany? Fourth Reich was a real pleasant surprise and seeing how Watain were getting super big at the time I thought they'd get some of the same momentum.

Anything like these tracks - with all of their rhythm changes/momentum shifts that turn out catchy and grabbing rather than distracting along with great riffing - would be cool. That breaking at around 3mins in Thy Horror is something I can never get enough of.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:20 pm 

Speaking of awesome breakdowns, this is a bit different, but one of my favorites. Right at 3 minutes of this song, I wish it was longer. This whole album is quite a beast:

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:20 pm 

Ok - a kind of general request - can someone point to me black metal that is clearly thrash and heavy metal influenced? I mean stuff like Bathory, Zemial, Agatus, Kawir etc. I also like the older Greek scene a lot with Varathron, Necromantia, early Rotting Christ etc. Faustcoven is another band I really enjoy.

As a sidenote any black metal similar to early Samael is also great. I love Anael for example.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:23 pm 

Mortuary Drape

Mortuary Drape

Mortuary Drape

Mortuary Drape

Mortuary Drape

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:27 pm 

Have you checked Mortuary Drape? :-P

Have you heard Abominatrix's band Demontage? Also, Megiddo.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:56 pm 

Sorry, this is by far my favorite type of black metal so I get a little excited. Mortuary Drape have an incredible influence, pretty much 3/4 Mercyful Fate 1/4 Venom. If you're looking for trad-influenced bm you really can't go wrong with them (well...avoid Buried in Time). All The Witches Dance is their most occult/esoteric sounding album. Secret Sudaria is the thrashiest. Tolling 13 Knell is a near-perfect combination of those two styles. Technical and involved musically, but always working towards a palpable occult atmosphere.

Demontage is another excellent suggestion. The first album is more live/raw sounding, and a bit more "fun" sounding as well. The Principal Extinction is a lot denser musically and thematically. They have a heavy influence from Grand Belial's Key in the riffing department. Think GBK mixed with epic heavy metal. The drummer understands that blast beats have their time and place, and is far more oriented towards beats that swing and romp. The bassist is a fucking madman.

Speaking of Grand Belial's Key...them. Start with Judeobeast Assassination, it's a bit more concise than the debut with a lot better production. Truthfully though all three of their albums are masterful and my favorite is usually just whichever one I played last. The riffs sound heavily inspired by the Greek bm scene as well as all sorts of traditional heavy metal (the good shit). I'd be surprised if you haven't heard these guys already honestly.

Negative Plane are a must. A newer band that have pretty much taken this style of black metal on their shoulders and launched to the forefront. I'd start with the first album, Et in Saecula Saeculorum. The songs are long as hell and winding, there are rarely obvious choruses but the riffs are ASTOUNDINGLY great. Huge influence again from Mercyful Fate, Venom, and all the great trad-influence black metal that came before them. Stained Glass Revelations is a killer album as well, and has plenty of savage and arresting riffs but it's obviously and purposefully slanted more towards a ghostly and occult atmosphere.

If you haven't dipped into the Czech scene yet then you're missing out in a big way. Master's Hammer would be the highest priority in my opinion, with Ritual possibly being one of the greatest black metal releases of all time. Also worth your attention is Amon Goeth and Root.

convolution
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:23 pm 

I'm currently looking for grind-influenced black metal along the lines of Impaled Nazarene (first two albums in particular), Osculum Obscenum, and Naked Whipper.

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:49 am 

Looking for melodic black metal similar to Sad Legend (South Korea).

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:31 am 

Zdan wrote:
Ok - a kind of general request - can someone point to me black metal that is clearly thrash and heavy metal influenced? I mean stuff like Bathory, Zemial, Agatus, Kawir etc. I also like the older Greek scene a lot with Varathron, Necromantia, early Rotting Christ etc. Faustcoven is another band I really enjoy.

As a sidenote any black metal similar to early Samael is also great. I love Anael for example.

Try Mordant. Not as intricate as Mortuary Drape, but quite straightforward and certainly more evil. Also check out Horna's album Sotahuuto, it's Bathory worship made so filthy that it makes Quorthon's band sound friendly by comparison.

convolution wrote:
I'm currently looking for grind-influenced black metal along the lines of Impaled Nazarene (first two albums in particular), Osculum Obscenum, and Naked Whipper.

Mythos - Pain Amplifier is very close to the old Impaled Nazarene sound, although it isn't quite as depraved and insane.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:13 am 

taufan99 wrote:
Looking for melodic black metal similar to Sad Legend (South Korea).

Try Vinterland (sort of but not as folky).

Ilwhyan wrote:
convolution wrote:

Mythos - Pain Amplifier is very close to the old Impaled Nazarene sound, although it isn't quite as depraved and insane.

And while you're at it try Belial as well, which is the guitarist's first band. The EPs only, the album is a freakin' curveball. :D

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:42 am 

Quite right, even the keyboard interludes of Wisdom of Darkness sound like the interludes from Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz. Never Again is an album, though, and while it's not as good as Wisdom of Darkness, it's worth hearing.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:21 pm 

Zdan wrote:

Horned Almighty is quite thrasy I think:

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:26 pm 

Zdan wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Quite right, even the keyboard interludes of Wisdom of Darkness sound like the interludes from Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz. Never Again is an album, though, and while it's not as good as Wisdom of Darkness, it's worth hearing.

Precisely. That EP is wickedly eerie! I really like Never Again, but as I said before it's a major curveball and has only a part of the aggression present in the EPs. It's still great though, but it deviates a bit from the initial request.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:53 pm 

Would anyone be able to recommend some bands or may be just releases that are very similar to the debut EP, "By the Hands of the Consuming Fire", of Axis of Light? The combination of characteristics I'm after is:

- Heavily distorted vocals (think Anaal Nathrakh, for example)
- Guitars with massive, full and fuzzy distortion without being extremely high or low end
- Riffs that are despite the guitar sound very easy to make out, ranging from raw thrash/black to more melancholy segments
- Simple but effective drums that are quite buried underneath the guitar blanket
- For extra clarification: here's the first track of said EP @ YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcIf881ribQ

I know this is very specific, perhaps too specific; feel free to recommend something even when you're in doubt, bands with most or some of these characteristics could still be worth the shot.

Thanks in advance.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:28 pm 

Duisterling wrote:
Would anyone be able to recommend some bands or may be just releases that are very similar to the debut EP, "By the Hands of the Consuming Fire", of Axis of Light? The combination of characteristics I'm after is:

- Guitars with massive, full and fuzzy distortion without being extremely high or low end
- Riffs that are despite the guitar sound very easy to make out, ranging from raw thrash/black to more melancholy segments
- Simple but effective drums that are quite buried underneath the guitar blanket
- For extra clarification: here's the first track of said EP @ YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcIf881ribQ

I know this is very specific, perhaps too specific; feel free to recommend something even when you're in doubt, bands with most or some of these characteristics could still be worth the shot.

Thanks in advance.

Goddamnit, I don't know. But the track you linked sounds awesome, fellow Dutchie.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:39 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Duisterling wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Goddamnit, I don't know. But the track you linked sounds awesome, fellow Dutchie.

Zeker, heeft m'n post toch alvast nut ;). Anyone else have a suggestion?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:29 pm 

Duisterling wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Not exactly what you described, but the best I can come up with. Fucking amazing EP.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:41 am 

Ah, yeah, great EP; I already know them I'm afraid! Actually played with them and Æsahættr once. Nonetheless, thank you! :)

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:30 am 

Duisterling wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Seeing that you know Axis of Light, I'm sure you know Nuklearenpest and Xothist since they're both on the Svn Okklt comp. But just in case you don't.

Nuklearenpest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pvQFfR2XU

Xothist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKIdzKuEghY

Warwulf NSBM from the usa. too bad they're ns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6RFrKno54I

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:08 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
I've got a paradoxically easy, but difficult request. I'm looking for something like Mayhem's track "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas." Fast, alive with atmosphere (scratchy, yet warm with audible bass), describable; even catchy riffing, and charismatic and dangerous vocals. Stuff from the 90's prefered.

I know pretty much all the big names in current and old black metal, so this is a bit of a tough request. Vocals similar to Attila's are a big plus, but one of the major things I'm after is the masterful combo of riffs and atmosphere; not overtly melodic like Mgla and definitely not as clean sounding.

Thanks!

I may be a bit late on this, but do you know ofermod's mysterion tes anomias? I've never seen anything getting closer to DMDS. and I'm speaking of the vibe or the aura, not just some copycat emulation of attila's vocals. I agree with you on that frost album.

their 1998 single was rereleased with two more songs by NED, here you have the first two songs on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK0A4amQ8rw
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:46 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:

I may be a bit late on this, but do you know ofermod's mysterion tes anomias? I've never seen anything getting closer to DMDS. and I'm speaking of the vibe or the aura, not just some copycat emulation of attila's vocals. I agree with you on that frost album.

their 1998 single was rereleased with two more songs by NED, here you have the first two songs on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK0A4amQ8rw

Interesting, thanks for backtracking and coming up with this. I immediately get what you're saying about this and DMDS. The quality's a bit staticy and washy- is that youtube or the actual demo? Digging this, I'll have to pursue some of their stuff.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:23 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Seeing that you know Axis of Light, I'm sure you know Nuklearenpest and Xothist since they're both on the Svn Okklt comp. But just in case you don't.

Nuklearenpest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pvQFfR2XU

Xothist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKIdzKuEghY

Warwulf NSBM from the usa. too bad they're ns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6RFrKno54I

I actually didn't know any of these, so I'm really glad you decided to mention them! Haven't got the time to listen to al three songs in full right now, but my first impressions are very positive. Thanks!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:12 pm 

Duisterling:

Check out the album Natur by Kaevum. The sounds are quite crude and distorted, but the music has some rather beautiful, melancholy passages. Similar to that, if less abrasive, Nattfog - Mustan Auringon Riitti. It's somewhat inferior, but if you like one, you'll most likely enjoy both. Tortorum is more abrasive, again, but the vocals aren't quite as distorted as Kaevum.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:23 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Interesting, thanks for backtracking and coming up with this. I immediately get what you're saying about this and DMDS. The quality's a bit staticy and washy- is that youtube or the actual demo? Digging this, I'll have to pursue some of their stuff.

this is just youtube. the actual sound on the ep is much much better. it was originally a two-song 7" on some (I think) swedish label, but was re-released as a 12" and cd by norma evangelium diaboli. at least the cd version should still be around in some distros.

track in better quality here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HMYZGkWi7g

the sad thing is that ofermod's follow-ups don't come even close to this monument. look no further than mysterion tes anomias.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:28 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Duisterling:

Check out the album Natur by Kaevum. The sounds are quite crude and distorted, but the music has some rather beautiful, melancholy passages. Similar to that, if less abrasive, Nattfog - Mustan Auringon Riitti. It's somewhat inferior, but if you like one, you'll most likely enjoy both. Tortorum is more abrasive, again, but the vocals aren't quite as distorted as Kaevum.

Unfamiliar with all of those; thanks. Sounds pretty good, I'll check out all three. Noticed that Nattfog is Finnish, which is always a big plus, as is their label (Hammer of Hate). Also, nice to see that Tortorum has a Galar live member in their lineup. Thanks again.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:48 pm 

also got a request: I'm looking for music in the vein of diabolicum's 2001 album the dark blood rising (hatecrowned retaliation), i.e. I want MASSIVE programmed multilayered synthetic mechanized drums ("industrial" :roll:) with aggressive riffing that has a touch of OSDM and weird spaced-out synths. guttural growls are a plus, but not obligatory.

to give you examples in case you don't know that brilliant album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6wNry-VrZs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6iLi0rcvno

I know this is pretty specific as that album is so unique, but I'm grateful for anything remotely similar.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:25 pm 

Nattfog are pretty good but I actually prefer the demo by that pre-Nattfog band, Norns.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:24 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
also got a request: I'm looking for music in the vein of diabolicum's 2001 album the dark blood rising (hatecrowned retaliation), i.e. I want MASSIVE programmed multilayered synthetic mechanized drums ("industrial" :roll:) with aggressive riffing that has a touch of OSDM and weird spaced-out synths. guttural growls are a plus, but not obligatory.

to give you examples in case you don't know that brilliant album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6wNry-VrZs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6iLi0rcvno

I know this is pretty specific as that album is so unique, but I'm grateful for anything remotely similar.

You may enjoy Ezgaroth. They're one of my favourite bands that blend heavy, industrial drum programming with traditional, cold sounding BM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfyaxaDdtoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzgNnO-LKfg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpixisoB7d4

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:49 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Nattfog are pretty good but I actually prefer the demo by that pre-Nattfog band, Norns.

Good call. That's some very powerfully atmospheric and melancholy stuff, like a better Min Kniv.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:28 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Good call. That's some very powerfully atmospheric and melancholy stuff, like a better Min Kniv.

Thanks guys. I'm really into that Min Kniv demo, so Norns should be a winner.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:19 pm 

I just recently discovered the 90s project Diabolical Masquerade and I can't get enough of it. Loving the not-too-serious take on black metal with interesting prog elements and tons of catchy melodies. Anything similar? Hail Spirit Noir is also a good comparison.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:58 pm 

Duisterling wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Maybe try Cloak of Altering. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO0wegjQ3a0

And as a general suggestion for anybody who's into Thantifaxath, check out Cult of Fire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byn3IsVY8FE

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:11 pm 

The new Cult of Fire is pretty damn good, got a promo this week. There's some cool ethnic overtones similar to Melechesh or their countrymen Lykathea Aflame. And the cover art is awesoooooooooooome. It's like Behemoth's The Apostasy on acid.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:23 pm 

Fuckin awesome Tony, the first album was an excellent release, really looking forward to this one.

~Guest 227866
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:56 am 

Holy fuck I'm completely blown away by this!
Helheim's 1995 deput, so damn fast! those vocals!

Anything else like this? viciously fast black/folk with 'unique' vocals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFFmDsxEhPM

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 231  Next