* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:08 am 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
I'm not wholly sure what fits your criteria, but here's a couple of things that might:

Urfaust https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yXmqlaBdQk

Xasthur https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pumpsmfQTBM

I'm familiar with both those bands but hadn't heard either of those songs. Neither quite hit the mark
but cheers all the same.

To clarify a bit more, it's the depth of harmony that I'm wanting to find.

Maybe this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPKUxiQUnrQ

It's fairly thin up there, but it's boosted excellently by the bass, and it's harmonically vivid, especially combined with the synth. The album is Blood in Our Wells.

Or maybe the last couple of Lunar Aurora albums? I couldn't find them on YouTube, but try searching for songs like Nachteule and Geisterschiff, or the albums Hoagascht and Andacht.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:24 pm 

Borknagar's The Olden Domain turns 20 today! Anyone who isn't already familiar with one of the best folky black metal albums ever should really check it out.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:39 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:
I'm looking for really aggressive black metal with lots of blastbeats, any recs?

Marduk. Especially World Funeral.

Ahem* Panzer Division Marduk.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:56 pm 

I was checking the recs given here when I stumbled upon Forest of Fog. Checked on Discogs are the prices are impossible. Any recs on similar things?

BlackSatanicPriest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:43 pm 

Alrighty, so, can someone please help me find Black Metal with bits of Heavy/Power metal vocals? Think of Absu's "Earth Ripper", or the intro to Impaled Nazarene's "Absence of War". I am dying for this fix I didn't know I needed

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:30 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

Marduk. Especially World Funeral.

Ahem* Panzer Division Marduk.

:scratch: Check the date on that.
Spoiler: show

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:30 pm 

I need some recs for melodic pagan black metal. Doesn't have to be necessarily melodic but I would prefer that option. No NSBM please.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:58 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I need some recs for melodic pagan black metal. Doesn't have to be necessarily melodic but I would prefer that option. No NSBM please.

Probably something like Winterfylleth then. They're very melodic without relying on keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu9dsb7s0hc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_umbC6DjwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGPvrLCR9MM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Hi6g98JXg

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:02 am 

Wilytank wrote:
:scratch: Check the date on that.
Spoiler: show

Haha. Holy crap. Something must have gone wrong.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:09 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Kampfar - Mare

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:17 am 

Thanks for all the recs everyone!

skitzorgasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:36 pm 

So I really hope I don't get shit on for this, but I wasn't quite sure where else to ask this. I happened to land upon the outer rim album, and I was listening to the devil with two tongues and I noticed how DL was rolling his R's, and I've been wondering if there was any other vocalist in the realm of black metal that uses this rolling technique I guess because I found it super interesting. If for nothing else just the novelty of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:19 am 

I want to discover more black/doom stuff but honesty have no idea where to search. I enjoy Bethlehem's first EP and debut, Argentum's debut and The Ruins of Beverast if that helps. Basically I'm open to anything although bands getting close to the depressive black metal territory probably aren't my thing.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:23 pm 

Vrtra
Mizmor
Dragged into Sunlight
Lord Mantis
Hell
Verbum

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:02 pm 

Dispirit is good. I like Stronghold (from Norway) quite a bit too.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:58 am 

I'm looking for very 90's black metal, executed nowadays. Think 'For All Tid' era Dimmu Borgir, Obtained Enslavement etc!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:50 am 

colin040 wrote:
I want to discover more black/doom stuff but honesty have no idea where to search. I enjoy Bethlehem's first EP and debut, Argentum's debut and The Ruins of Beverast if that helps. Basically I'm open to anything although bands getting close to the depressive black metal territory probably aren't my thing.

If you're looking for Black/Doom, you might want to check out early Barathrum.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:51 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Maybe this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPKUxiQUnrQ

It's fairly thin up there, but it's boosted excellently by the bass, and it's harmonically vivid, especially combined with the synth. The album is Blood in Our Wells.

Or maybe the last couple of Lunar Aurora albums? I couldn't find them on YouTube, but try searching for songs like Nachteule and Geisterschiff, or the albums Hoagascht and Andacht.

With both Lunar Aurora and Drudkh on that album the way the synth interacts with the guitar doesn't suit my taste. If there's going to be synth I'd like it to be melodically involved a la Burzum or Blut Aus Nord etc. Thanks for the recs, it's a difficult and unclear request.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:02 pm 

I'm looking for raw, but melodic black metal. No melodic pompous stuff but like Kristallnacht, Seigneur Voland and a lot of the French/Quebecois stuff. I know a LOT of bands, though, so please skip the obvious ones. Thanks!

No?

Last edited by The Ardbeg Wizard on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:39 pm 

BlackSatanicPriest wrote:
Alrighty, so, can someone please help me find Black Metal with bits of Heavy/Power metal vocals? Think of Absu's "Earth Ripper", or the intro to Impaled Nazarene's "Absence of War". I am dying for this fix I didn't know I needed

Don't know about "bits" of heavy/power metal vocals, but Satan's Host's later albums are pretty awesome black/thrash/power albums with the one and only Harry Conklin handling the vocals. Check out everything from the album By The Hands of The Devil and forward, perhaps starting with the track Island of the Giant Ants from the Virgin Sails album. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Sharkxxx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:38 am 

Hey guys!!!

Can you please advise any symphonic black metal bands please?

Thanks.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:36 am 

Summoning, Caladan Brood, Bal-Sagoth: More on the epic side of the spectrum, expect Lord of the Rings type soundtracks with metal instrumentation

Shade Empire: If you are looking for a slight industrial flavor

Limbonic Art: Been a long time since I heard them/him (?) but I can vaguely recall some fun keyboard melodies

Carach Angren: The earlier stuff has some surprisingly compelling orchestration which is both dark & not overly cheesy, the vocalist has a knack for storytelling if that counts

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Summoning, Caladan Brood, Bal-Sagoth: More on the epic side of the spectrum, expect Lord of the Rings type soundtracks with metal instrumentation

Shade Empire: If you are looking for a slight industrial flavor

Limbonic Art: Been a long time since I heard them/him (?) but I can vaguely recall some fun keyboard melodies

Carach Angren: The earlier stuff has some surprisingly compelling orchestration which is both dark & not overly cheesy, the vocalist has a knack for storytelling if that counts

Yeah, right. What a piece of shit band this is.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:09 am 

Sharkxxx wrote:
Hey guys!!!

Can you please advise any symphonic black metal bands please?

Thanks.

Sirius and Dimmu Borgir.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:29 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Yeah, right. What a piece of shit band this is.

Lol, people really hate this band huh. The new stuff is Hot Topic metal but I can enjoy the first 3 to varying degrees. Haven't returned to them for quite a while though.

I'm looking for some melodic bm past the usual Swedish scene. Any newer bands worth a shot?

~Guest 416010
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 pm 

Any work similar to that of Paysage D'hiver? I'm seeking the stuff that isn't just synth and keys. ;) I am a big fan of his self title, and his new stuff isn't too bad either.

Thyrnar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:22 pm 

I'm looking for black metal with a triumphant/uplifting/victorious atmosphere. I don't care much about the lyrics.

Saor and Havukruunu are two bands that have this feeling imo.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:54 am 

Thyrnar wrote:
I'm looking for black metal with a triumphant/uplifting/victorious atmosphere. I don't care much about the lyrics.

Suhnopfer's Offertoire and Spite Extreme Wing's Magnificat demo compilation are really glorious, triumphant riffstorms

They are more straightforward than the examples you posted, but really worth a listen :)

MARK9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:55 am 

darknecrotic wrote:
I'm looking for black metal that gives an uneasy feeling, mid to fast paced (Something with a Silencer-like reputation)

Maybe K.F.R.? I've heard it as a recommendation from someone and I really liked their sound (and also the fact that they don't need any dark stories surrounding them)

Gunslinger21, on playing black metal at a lower bitrate, wrote:
Mate, if you're not playing your BM in 8-bit then you are just a fucking poser. Sorry.

Last.fm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:10 pm 

MARK9000 wrote:
darknecrotic wrote:
I'm looking for black metal that gives an uneasy feeling, mid to fast paced (Something with a Silencer-like reputation)

Maybe K.F.R.? I've heard it as a recommendation from someone and I really liked their sound (and also the fact that they don't need any dark stories surrounding them)

Why are you responding to a seven year old request? He's not going to read it.

IamDBR wrote:
I'm looking for some melodic bm past the usual Swedish scene. Any newer bands worth a shot?

Some early Chthonic might work. Got a bit of an oriental flair too.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZRjTordJk

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:21 pm 

Thyrnar wrote:

Catamenia - Location: COLD. More on the melodic side but charging riffs galore that fit your criteria.

Imperium Dekadenz - 'Dis Manibvs'. This is an interesting one because it ebbs and flows... one passage will be mournful before building into something 'triumphant' which makes the payoff all the better. Check out standout track 'Volcano'.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:57 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Suhnopfer's Offertoire and Spite Extreme Wing's Magnificat demo compilation are really glorious, triumphant riffstorms

They are more straightforward than the examples you posted, but really worth a listen :)

Just listened to Offertoire on your rec and I'm quite enjoying it. The vocals took some getting used to as they're quite over the top even by BM standards but the riffs as you say are fantastic. :beer:

Thyrnar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:17 am 

frostyj66 wrote:
Catamenia - Location: COLD. More on the melodic side but charging riffs galore that fit your criteria.

Imperium Dekadenz - 'Dis Manibvs'. This is an interesting one because it ebbs and flows... one passage will be mournful before building into something 'triumphant' which makes the payoff all the better. Check out standout track 'Volcano'.

Morn Of Solace wrote:

Thanks for the recs! Imperium Dekadenz and Spite Extreme Wing are both right up my alley!

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:14 am 

Thyrnar wrote:
Thanks for the recs! Imperium Dekadenz and Spite Extreme Wing are both right up my alley!

No problem, glad you liked ID. :)

I personally think the 'Meadows of Nostalgia' album is their best work so it's worth going back to check out.

The feeling I get when listening to it is not necessarily uplifting but more about pushing through epic struggles and conquering them - so there is always a sense of battleworn, triumphant 'release' which I really appreciate. Check out both 'Ave Danuvi' and 'Striga' for what I mean when it builds and the riffs finally kick in after the 2 minute marks. Fantastic stuff!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:53 pm 

Thyrnar wrote:

Well, I'll be recommending the same band again in one page, but Winterfylleth. They have some pretty high spirited melodies with a very epic feel to them. If you're already familiar with the likes of Saor and Havukruunu, they'll be up your alley if you don't know them already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQNZJw5OUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F2KfhRdvD0

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:12 am 

frostyj66 wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:

Just listened to Offertoire on your rec and I'm quite enjoying it. The vocals took some getting used to as they're quite over the top even by BM standards but the riffs as you say are fantastic. :beer:

Ars Macabra might be up your alley

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:33 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Ars Macabra might be up your alley

Always willing to check out new groups - will do. :beer:

iDude
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:45 am 

Hey guys! It's been a while since the last time I posted here for recs and I wasn't disappointed back then and I'm pretty sure I won't be this time ;;)

I don't know if this is too broad/narrow, but I'm looking for bands similar to Batushka —their debut "Litourgiya" blew my mind and I've been looking for bands with a sound similar to them ever since: non-abusive use of chants, atmospheric without being cheesy, blasphemous and orthodox, you know the drill. I'm aware of Hesychast, but I'd love more bands in this vein.

I'm also looking for bands similar to Forteresse ("Thèmes pour la rébellion" is definitely in my top 10 of 2016) and Drudkh ("Blood In Our Wells" is majestic), in the sense of lyrical themes —poetry and history, mostly. Also, if the albums have art/medieval-related artwork (like Jude Gyte's Discontinuities/Vast Chains/Ressentiment or Obsequiae's two albums) would be GREAT. Bonus points if the lyrics aren't in English. I think the only band similar in this (Drudkh) vein is Sivyj Yar, but they don't do it for me :(

Also, is there something out there similar to Bathory's "Blood Fire Death"? Havukruunu is the closest I've come to and their latest release (Kelle surut soi) surpassed my expectations and made me really thirsty for this specific sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:11 am 

iDude wrote:
I'm also looking for bands similar to Forteresse ("Thèmes pour la rébellion" is definitely in my top 10 of 2016) and Drudkh ("Blood In Our Wells" is majestic), in the sense of lyrical themes —poetry and history, mostly. Also, if the albums have art/medieval-related artwork (like Jude Gyte's Discontinuities/Vast Chains/Ressentiment or Obsequiae's two albums) would be GREAT. Bonus points if the lyrics aren't in English. I think the only band similar in this (Drudkh) vein is Sivyj Yar, but they don't do it for me :(

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 pm 

I'm looking for Black Metal or Blackened Death Metal that is inspired by WW1 and/or WW2. Kinda how God Dethroned's "Under The Sign Of The Iron Cross" is about WW1 and Marduk's "Panzer Division Marduk" is about WW2. Any recs? :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191 ... 231  Next