Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
we hope you die
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:49 pm 

So I guess it's that time of where we all try out new routines that will last at least a month....

I've taken up jogging, does anyone have any preferred music they use to help motivate with exercise?

I'm thinking mid-paced death metal, nothing with too many tempo changes, black metal with a more heroic edge (Summoning esque), is there such a thing as motivational thrash?

What do you exercise to? What music works best for different forms of exercise and why? Do you prefer tailored playlists to albums? Please share advice and recommendations.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:34 am 

First two have a better chance you don't listen to, after that I will just list most you probably already know.

Jungle Rot's later output especially Kill On Commandis one of my go-to metal albums for training. Swinging grooves, pummeling sections and a powerful production to boot.

Dyscarnate's latest album With All their Might was my most played this year in the gym and for the same reasons more or less. They even have a track on that album called "Iron Strengthens Iron" :lol:
Gojira's From Mar's to Sirius is a big influence on Dyscarnate's sound for that album and a great choice here as well.
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... ght/661072

Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Dark Tranquility - Fiction (So underrated)
Bolt Thrower - Thoe Once Loyal

Non death metal:
Clutch - Psychic Warfare & Earth Rocker
Grand Magus - The Hunt & Hammer of the North
Visigoth - The Revenant King

All albums I mentioned are punchy, groovy, catchy, and powerful production wise. Pretty much my criteria for the gym. Hope there's something there for ya.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:54 am 

Some of my recs:

Samael - Reign Of Light (very uplifting, this music pushes you forwards)
Fear Factory - Obsolete (the pounding! here the rythm is everything)
Gojira - From Mars To Sirius (music for crushing stones with an huge hammer)
Soilwork - Sworn To The Great Divide (catchy, fun and encouraging music)
Hypocrisy - The Arrival (rushes of energy in this one)
Entombed - Morning Star (for the mean looks at other folks around you :) )

and the absolute winner:

Sepultura - Roots

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:07 am 

I don't go to the gym, but I used to, and now I do workouts to music, anyways, and I completely support stuff like Dyscarnate, some Entombed and Fear Factory - very rhythmic, pounding metal works super well. I always liked working out to thrash, too - in this case, production meant a lot, if it was loud and aggressive, it works.

Some of my thrash favorites I recall working out to at some point included Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned (one of their more midpaced albums, which works well for me. Not motivational per se, but it always gave me a kick) and Sodom - Tapping The Vein (there is something about this one that clicks to me. It's Sodom at their more brutish).
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 am 

I'm fairly convinced that Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thundergod was intentionally made for workout: straightforward, full of uplifting simple melodies, tempo just fast enough, loud mastering.. the ingredients are all here :lol:

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am 

Just Before Dawn are great for working out as well. War-themed, chugging mid-paced death metal with occasional melodic embellishments. They're pretty heavily influenced by Bolt Thrower who are obviously another great band, both for working out and otherwise.

I always felt Godflesh was good for working out too, especially A World Lit Only by Fire which seems to have a fuller and more modern sound than their older material. Those pounding industrial riffs just fit so well with lifting weights.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 pm 

For heavy lifting, I usually go silent, but when I do go with some music it's the really pumped up stuff along the lines of Blasphemy, Truppensturm, etc.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:15 am 

Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Facebreaker, Vader, just about any death metal/thrash. Much better to go late at night as its nearly empty, as when I work, I go right after and it's really crowded(and people tend to blast the radio).

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 am 

The Best Of Survivor. Not kidding.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:27 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I'm fairly convinced that Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thundergod was intentionally made for workout: straightforward, full of uplifting simple melodies, tempo just fast enough, loud mastering.. the ingredients are all here :lol:

This type of shit exactly.. for me anything by MÄnegarm up to and including NattvÀsen is just about perfect. Their faster tracks will give you superhuman strength.

Reply to topic