Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Fade_to_Flames
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:19 pm 

Sybreed, Black Comedy & The Amenta. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:34 pm 

Fade_to_Flames wrote:
Sybreed, Black Comedy & The Amenta. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Well, Fear Factory is the obvious answer. Just a little less synth-based. the Demanufacture album is considered their "quintessential" work, but I was never a huge fan. Archetype is certainly better, but you might be turned off by the slightly more commercial sound. I hear a lot of good things for the earlier material... apparently, it was definitely more of a death metal direction, which would make it similar to The Amenta.

Ministry is another industrial metal band a lot of people overlook. Yes, we all know A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste and Psalm 69 (which are not what you are looking for, I assume), but I heartily recommend The Last Sucker and Rio Grande Blood. Those albums tend to favor samples of synth work, but there's a definite industrial edge throughout them. The Last Sucker is pretty much a masterpiece in industrial metal. There, Ministry takes a much more energetic route, bordering on thrash.

...And Oceans did some synthier stuff, and pretty much anything by them will fit the recommendation. Just expect something a little weirder than the bands you mentioned. All I own is A.M.G.O.D., and that's still pretty hard to get into, but it's a solid blend of synths and guitars.

For a more "ordinary" sound that blends synths with guitars, The Kovenant (when they spelled it with a K) may be up your alley. This starts leading you into the industrial black metal territory, but the riffing style is still more in line with Black Comedy and Sybreed.

You've also got Ram Zet in the industrial death metal side of things, but there's also a lot of avant-gardisms running around. Intra is pretty close to a bizarro version of The Amenta's n0n. I don't know if you'll find it a bit too weird or not, but it's solid nonetheless.

Oh, and how could I forget Red Harvest? Red Harvest was definitely an influence on Sybreed and Black Comedy. I can't offer a whole lot of insight on this band, as I've only really heard bits and pieces, but they seem to get very strong reviews on this site.

JWUltrablizzard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:51 am 

tbh, i've never got a lot of so-called metalheads antipathy towards this subgenre.

to me it is a valid genre

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:51 am 

Get Streetcleaner by Godflesh. Best industrial metal album I've heard to date.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:46 am 

Ribos wrote:
...And Oceans did some synthier stuff, and pretty much anything by them will fit the recommendation. Just expect something a little weirder than the bands you mentioned. All I own is A.M.G.O.D., and that's still pretty hard to get into, but it's a solid blend of synths and guitars.

I haven't heard that one in ages, but apparently Cypher is the better synth one. I still would love to get those two albums.

Ribos wrote:
Oh, and how could I forget Red Harvest? Red Harvest was definitely an influence on Sybreed and Black Comedy. I can't offer a whole lot of insight on this band, as I've only really heard bits and pieces, but they seem to get very strong reviews on this site.

I've got their full-lengths from Cold Dark Matter. Their latest one, A Greater Darkness, is perhaps the slowest release, tempo-wise, but I find it to have a lot more memorable songs. However, you can't really go wrong with anything from them.

To the OP, try V:28, as well. Like a slow, rolling catastrophe with industrial elements. Not as pronounced as, say, The Amenta, but they're there, and are used in a different light to The Amenta.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ice_As_Steel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:03 am 

I like how no matter what flavor of industrial metal people ask for, they always get recommended Ministry. It's almost as if Ministry is a completely bland band that can fit any description.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:37 am 

The only reason I'm not locking this thread right now is because a few people have put good effort into recommendations. OP, next time put similar effort into your post. Just listing a few bands you want something similar to is not enough.

JWUltrablizzard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:11 pm 

some of apollyon sun's work?

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:29 pm 

I'm still locking it. Ribos, if you want to help someone, you should first prompt them to help themselves a little more, or at least help you help them.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.